PDA

View Full Version : garmin gpsmap 60 csx help!

perm74
04-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Anyone have a garmin gpsmap 60csx that can help? My compass is always 60 to 70 feet off of GZ. My iPhone gets me closer. I have callibrated the garmin many times, changed the batteries. What else can I do to get this thing a bit more accurate? I am using the coarse pointer not bearing pointer.:???:

perm74
04-20-2011, 11:02 AM
also have the latest software...

SJClimber
04-20-2011, 11:31 AM
It doesn't seem to matter which pointer you use if you have loaded caches and choose to find one of these. With updated firmware, new batteries, adequate calibration, that's about all you can do besides calling Garmin tech folks. They are quite helpful.

BSA534
04-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Garmin has legendary customer service. I'd sure give them a call. You might just have a lemon.

perm74
04-21-2011, 01:02 PM
So... I'm still fairly new to the sport and in case others may come across same problem and are to proud to ask, your unit must be on "off road" instead of "follow road" when you get to the cache otherwise it keeps trying to put you back on the road. Boy I felt like an idiot when I found that out. The turn by turn directions it was giving me were spot on...lol. Now I know! :) Thanks for the help of referring me to Garmin customer support. They are really good.

Spice
04-21-2011, 02:44 PM
perm74, don't worry we have all done something like that. I have a friend that did not now how to get his GPSr compass with an arrow to point him in the direction of a cache so he would look at the coordinates on the GPSr and walk around until he could get them to match the coordinates to the cache (no it wasn't me). I have a Garmin GPS 60CSx and I love it. With maps and turn by turn directions are great to get you to a cache in a town you are not familiar with and then using the off road to search works great. Good luck!

TnT
04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Sounds to me like your compass is in magnetic mode. You'll know this because it keeps asking to be calibrated. TO get it into the mode where it points at the cache, hold down the page button until it says "Compass turned off". Two downfalls of the 60csx -- the magnetic compass and the barometric altimeter. Unfortunately, the altimeter can't be turned off.