PDA

View Full Version : How far will you go?

cateyetech
02-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Let me start by saying Hello, I'm 1 member of cateyetech and this is my first post. I come here to see what's happening with all you cachers. We were sitting at home this snowy evening and receved notification of two new caches in our area. Don't think we'll try for a FTF tonight! What I would like to see is how far will you go for a FTF or realy what is the range of your instant notification set at. Ours is set at 10 miles, anything futher away and you'll Fith To Find around here! LOL

kcackler
02-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Our FTF notification is set up for 20 miles. When we first started caching, we were neck and neck with edieo for a good 7 or 8 miles racing to the FTF for a new cache in New Blaine (If I remember correctly).

Of course, with us having a baby in the house, we can't actually go grab these most of the time. Those that got posted this evening, for instance. I would have LOVED to go trekking through the trails in the snow, but family obligations won...

OldRiverRunner
02-05-2011, 07:46 AM
I think my instant notification is set at 50 miles, which is really too far in today's geocaching world. I set it up years ago (2003 or 2004) and haven't touched it since then. Back when I set it up, there weren't that many caches coming out in the state and I was excited to see a new one crop up 30, 35, 40, 45, or even 50 miles away. And if I had the opportunity, I would go after it to see if I could grab a FTF. I remember getting one high up on the Pig Trail on Halloween Day several years ago! I have also driven to Little Rock or Jasper to snag a FTF. But, alas, those days are gone. With several avid geocaching communities in the state, newly published caches are usually found within hours, and sometime within minutes, of being published.

However, there are some exceptions. Just two days ago, I got a FTF in Jacksonport State Park,over 100 miles from my home. I went to the park to get the ParkCache and remembered that there was a new cache there, so I found it also. I was surprised to be the FTF on that one, because it had been out for about 6 days. (Note that a new one was just published there last night, so if anyone in that area wants a FTF, it's waiting on you!)

My farthest FTF from home is one I got in South Carolina, again many years ago. I was planning a trip to visit some relatives and noticed that one had just been published not too far off my route through the state. So a couple of days later, as I passed through the area, I stopped to find the cache. I was surprised to find a blank logsheet! When I logged my find online, I was further surprised that other local cachers had looked for it and hadn't found it! I'm sure they didn't appreciate an Arkansas cacher grabbing an FTF from under their noses!

idratherbehiking
02-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Just like ORR said back in the day I would have driven a lot further for an FTF than I have to these days. The last couple of years I have cooled off a little on trying to grab FTF's. It could be because it is really hard to get one around here. However there has always been stiff competition in this area.

Also would someone please go find this cache (GC24F5F) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c2e9dc41-4b76-485d-87b0-687219df0b0a) so I don't have to drive 145 miles to get the FTF!!!

Jffok
02-07-2011, 05:31 AM
I have my notification set at 50 miles. There is a lot of rural area around me and it is still possible to get the first to finds. I got 6 one day last week that had been out 2 days and the 3 in the Greenleaf State Park that had been out 5 days. Right now there is two within 30 miles of me but the weather has just been too bad to go for them. But if they post around Van Buren or Ft. Smith I usually don't even try for them. So for me it depends on the area as to how far I will drive.

cateyetech
02-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks for all cool info! I did go after those caches the next day and got 3 FTF !!! Now we have 4 FTF.

arkfiremedic
02-10-2011, 06:59 PM
My longest FTF run checks in at 2,943.5 miles over five days for the
GC25HV7 ▼
Multi-cache
* Louisiana Office of State Parks * Geo Project

But my all time favorite FTF run was a one day for 737.5 miles for the
GC1KZXN ▼
Unknown Cache
The Arkansas County Challenge

Something special for me about Arkansas caches, and especially one that took as much determination as this one did.

edieo
02-11-2011, 04:37 AM
It really depends on my mood I have been to known to go after a FTF fresh out of the tub with a towel still on my head...lol..I got a FTF at Jasper ,I went after that one ..I have also gotten one at Searcy and Texarkana but those were just by luck ...Now days the FTF don't worry me as much as they used to .. :lol: :o :roll:

rklmbl
02-11-2011, 05:50 AM
We have two instant notifications for published caches in Arkansas....both 50 miles. Has nothing to do with FTFs but just to keep up with geocaching in our areas of interest. We have had FTFs in Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, and Missouri just by being in the right place at the right time. We do not know how to spell Whoopdeedoo and WhooHooo and make **** (stars) and !!!!!!!! (Exclamation marks) in our logs, therefore we do not attempt FTFs anymore unless they just happen to show up on our pocket query and its the next cache in line. :lol: [/code]

OldRiverRunner
02-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Also would someone please go find this cache (GC24F5F) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c2e9dc41-4b76-485d-87b0-687219df0b0a) so I don't have to drive 145 miles to get the FTF!!!

Looks like it was found yesterday. So, you are saved a long drive!

pshelto
02-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Call me a slow poke or something, but I just don't get into FTFs. If I am really in the mood to go hit some caches and a FTF just happens to pop up, I might go grab it. If it's no inconvenient...too much. I don't even have instant notifications set up. I suppose I should do that...

kcackler
02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
I love the instant notifications. We first met edieo on a race to a FTF about 20 miles from here. It was hilarious because she would take a wrong turn and then we would take it right behind her. That happened 2 or 3 times before we all made it to the final cache site. First met captaincooder on a FTF hunt in Knoxville, etc.. and so forth. We love the thrill of the hunt, but also meeting other FTF addicts.