PDA

View Full Version : FREE WiFi Access Points in Arkansas

Gaddiel
12-09-2004, 11:37 AM
SJClimber's post in another thread got me thinking that it would be nice to have a list of places in Arkansas that are known to have FREE public access to wireless internet. If you give a WiFi location, be sure to include the address, if you can. These are some that have already been listed:

Bentonville
Kennedy Coffee Roasting Co. - 2501 SE 14th St. Suite #1
Panera Bread - 107 West 14th Street
Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport - 1 Airport Way

Blytheville
Holiday Inn - 1121 W Main St

Bryant
The Comfort Inn & Suites - 209 W. Commerce Dr.

Cabot
Burger King - 3264 Bill Foster Memorial Highway

Conway
Faulkner County Library - 1900 Tyler Street
Something Brewing - 1156 Front Street
Wampus Cat Stadium (temporarily unavailable)
Hendrix College Student Center - 1600 Washington
Hendrix College Bailey Library - 1600 Washington
Hendrix College Veasey Beach - 1600 Washington
San Francisco Bread Co. - 794 Elsinger Drive (next to Old Navy)
The Koffee Haus - 1107 Oak Street (across the street from Bob's Grill)
Quiznos - 2850 Prince Street
Quiznos - 895 Oak Street
Chamber of Commerce - 900 Oak Street
Super 8 Hotel - 2430 Sanders Street
Shaboogity's - 2159 Prince Street
Howard Johnson Inn - Interstate 40 & Hwy 65

Coming Soon...

Coffee Crossings - 1100 Bob Courtway - December 9th
Ketchum's Cap Expresso - 505 Industrial Blvd. - December 1st

Clarksville
1st Security Bank - 214 W Main St. (just N of courthouse square)

Fayetteville
Subway - 3392 Futrall Dr, North Hills Ctr
Subway - 955 N Shiloh Drive
Robert James Salon - 329 W South Street
Hampton Inn - in room access for guests - 735 South Shiloh Drive
Red Roof Inn - in room access for guests - 1000 South Futrall Drive
Clarion Hotel - HY 62 & I540
McDonald's - 3080 W Wedington Drive
Royal Donuts - 997 N Shiloh Drive
Sonic Drive-In - 1144 Colorado Drive
TNCW, Inc 995 N Shiloh Drive
Tim's Pizza -1813 E Mission Blvd

Fort Smith
Panera Bread - 2917 South 74th Street
Hampton Inn - rooms and lobby - 6201-C Rogers Avenue
Sweet Bay Coffee

Hot Springs
San Francisco Bread Co. - 261 Cornerstone

Jonesboro
Jonesboro Athletic Club - 2617 Phillips Drive

Little Rock
Little Rock National Airport
Community Bakery - 1200 Main Street
West End Smokehouse And Tavern - 215 N. Shackleford
Sufficient Grounds - 722 North Palm
Comfort Inn & Suites - 707 Interstate 30 (exit 140)
Courtyard Little Rock - 10900 Financial Centre Parkway
Embassy Suites Little Rock - 11301 Chenal Pkwy
Underground Pub - 500 President Clinton Avenue
UAMS - 4301 W. Markham St. (SSID is UAMSGuest. Enter your email address at the portal page in your browser.)

McRae
Computer Wizards - 2807 Hwy 267 South

Mountain Home
NY Steamers - Corner of College and 62E
Comfort Inn - 1031 Highland Circle
Holiday Inn Express - 1005 Coley Drive
Super 8 - Hwy 62 East

North Little Rock
Pulaski Technical College - courtyard area - 3000 West Scenic Drive
Laman Public Library - 2801 Orange Street

Osceola
Osceola High School - 2800 West Semmes
Osceola Public Library - 320 West Hale

Omaha
Ozark View RV Park - Branson Area Camping - 18412 Old Hwy 65 N

Searcy
Berryhill Park - N 35° 15.155 W 091° 42.925

Siloam Springs
City Coffee Co. - 1270 Hwy 412 W, Suite H

Springdale
Days Inn - in room access for guests - 4677 W. Sunset Ave.

West Memphis
Moka's koffee & kremery - 111 Dover
Krystal - 1804 Missouri Road

Any more? I'll update this post as the locations come in. If you find a hotspot listed that is not free, let me know so that I can take it off this list. If we get enough, a map would be cool...

Wayne

LadyEngineer
12-09-2004, 12:46 PM
If you send me the coordinates or the address, I can put together a map with the locations.

Here is a demo. I'm not html smart enough to have it click on the map and give you the coordinates or what the name is or to zoom. I also don't have a server to put it on, but with some html help I could improve it. How's this for a start?

http://www.geocities.com/mjeebowie/wifi.jpg

RGS
12-09-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure how popular SBC DSL is in Arkansas, but SBC is offering free wi-fi connections through April 2005. After that it will be $1.95/month. It looks like UPS stores, McDonalds, and Barnes and Noble book stores are the popular places.

Here is the link for the SBC wi-fi spots in Arkansas but the offer is available at all their spots in the US. http://secure1.sbc.com/locations.adp?State=AR

RGS-St. Louis

MrsGeoark
12-09-2004, 04:26 PM
SJClimber's post in another thread got me thinking that it would be nice to have a list of places in Arkansas that are known to have public access to wireless internet. If you give a WiFi location, be sure to include the address, if you can. These are some that have already been listed:

Cabot - Burger King on Hwy 321
Little Rock - Community Bakery (1200 Main)
Conway - Faulkner County Library (1900 Tyler Street)

Any more? I'll update this post as the locations come in. If we get enough, a map would be cool...

Wayne

This is great some time we "Road Warrior" when we find locations we will let you know by posting here this would be a great help when out caching a break to log have some refreshments and find other caches in area.

BACKPACKNJACK
12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Lady_E,
I think you will find what you are looking for here, addresses and all. :D

http://www.wi-fihotspotlist.com/browse/us/2000276/

Gaddiel
12-09-2004, 07:29 PM
RGS and BackPackNJack,

Those are great links, and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Keep 'em comin'!!!

Wayne

BACKPACKNJACK
12-13-2004, 09:51 AM
I'm not sure how popular SBC DSL is in Arkansas, but SBC is offering free wi-fi connections through April 2005. After that it will be $1.95/month. It looks like UPS stores, McDonalds, and Barnes and Noble book stores are the popular places.

Here is the link for the SBC wi-fi spots in Arkansas but the offer is available at all their spots in the US. http://secure1.sbc.com/locations.adp?State=AR

RGS-St. Louis
Thanks RGS. I don't have a WiFi card for my laptop but thinking about it and I can't find (google) this info "free wi-fi connections through April 2005" and the only pricing I found was one mention of $2.95 for a 2hr session at McD's (through Waypoint I think)...../ $19.95 per month membership.../ etc.
A quote from the link:

Pricing
Our FreedomLink service is priced to meet a variety of budgets and connection needs. The following plans may be purchased using a credit card.

Prepaid Connection: Provides a day of unlimited access at any FreedomLink Hot Spot. Prepaid Connections are available in increments of 3, 8 and 20.
3 sessions - $25
8 sessions - $50
20 sessions - $100
Membership: Provides unlimited access to any FreedomLink Hot Spot starting at just $19.95 per month. Memberships require a commitment of 12 months.
Was the $1.95 a month, a typo or is my broken finger (like my broken mind would never be at fault :roll: ) just hitting the wrong keys?

SJClimber
12-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi folks,
Another link for Hot Spots: www.jiwire.com/search-hotspot-location.htm (http://www.jiwire.com/search-hotspot-location.htm) This list sorts hot spots by place, time, location, location type, proximity to your location (even phone booths), and wireless types.
Hope all have a good holiday, off to Colorado.

Gaddiel
12-13-2004, 02:33 PM
The list should be current up to the date of this post. Keep 'em coming!

Gaddiel
12-13-2004, 02:46 PM
I can't find (google) this info "free wi-fi connections through April 2005" and the only pricing I found was one mention of $2.95 for a 2hr session at McD's (through Waypoint I think)...../ $19.95 per month membership.../ etc.

BPnJ, I finally found some information on this. Here's the quote I found on WiFi Networking News:

"SBC officially announces $1.99 per month unlimited hot spot services: If you subscribe to SBC's DSL service at a rate as low as $26.95 per month for their cheapest service, you are entitled to unlimited Wi-Fi hot spot service for $1.99 a month with a one-year commitment -- after receiving free service until April 2005."

From this article, it appears that you need to sign up for one year in order to get the "free" service. Does anybody else know more about this?

BACKPACKNJACK
12-13-2004, 09:44 PM
Thanks Gaddiel. I guess I will wait on that WiFi card because to get highspeed out here it must be bounced off the moon :roll: . HEY, maybe that is why I play in the woods so much....I got no highSpeed :lol: .

RGS
12-13-2004, 11:11 PM
BPJ,
Here's thelink (http://www.sbc.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=21431) from the SBC site.

It is free until april without doing anything, as long as you have DSL currently, or buy it now I guess. I've had DSL since about Dec 1999 so haven't had a yearly contract since it ended 12/2000. I'm still with SBC and haven't switched to SBC-Yahoo or whatever they call themselves now.

I think the year contract refers to after April when you must buy the 1 yr package for wireless to get the $1.99 rate, so for $24/yr, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. I just talked to a friend last night whose on a cruise ship to the Hawaian Islands for about 2 weeks. He said they offer wireless on the ship for ONLY $240 for 24 hrs! Makes $1.99/month seem like a good deal!

Rich

arkansas_stickerdude
12-13-2004, 11:15 PM
In Fort Smith there is Sweet Bay Coffee on Rogers Next to Kissing Her Deja vu has it.

MrsGeoark
12-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Free: The Coffee Beanery, Ft. Smith, on Hiway 71 South on north bound side in new Italian Market Place across from McDonalds on the south bound side.

Not far from Boo Crew, LukyWest Team, Rusty da Dog and Geoark1 caches and several other's caches. Find a cache, have a coffee and log your finds.

They have great sandwiches toooooooooooo.
Mrs. Geoark

RazorbackGeek
01-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Most of the campus at the UofA runs 802.11G which can be accessed in every major building. Only problem is you have to use their login to access the internet. If you knew a student or fac/staff you could gain access there.

LadyEngineer
01-31-2005, 08:12 AM
I didn't check to see if it was free but the Barnes & Noble in North Little Rock has internet access now too.

4000 McCain Blvd.
North Little Rock

LadyEngineer
01-31-2005, 08:30 AM
Does any one have the coordinates on any of these locations? If you do, please post them.

Woodwalker9
01-31-2005, 11:09 AM
LE wrote:

Does any one have the coordinates on any of these locations? If you do, please post them.

Thanks a Latte in Searcy is a nice coffee shop that serves deli sandwiches, salads, soups, and baked goods. They have a play room for the kids and have live entertainment on the weekends. The coordinates are:

N35 14.900
W091 44.170

Gaddiel
01-31-2005, 11:57 AM
Most of the campus at the UofA runs 802.11G which can be accessed in every major building. Only problem is you have to use their login to access the internet. If you knew a student or fac/staff you could gain access there.

Same situation at UCA. However, there has been talk of some non-authenticated access being added to some areas. I'll keep you updated...

Team_Dogz_Rule
02-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Good afternoon everyone! This is my first post, so I hope it goes well. I just thought I'd pass along the following FREE wi-fi spots in Conway. These are provided by Conway Corporation and the merchant listed. There is no cost to the user. I work for Conway Corporation and can tell you that more will be added soon.

You can view the list online as well at: http://wifi.conwaycorp.net/locations.html

Enjoy!
Team Dogz Rule
aka Chris

Conway - FREE hotspots
Fridayz Poets - 2915 Dave Ward Drive
Central Baptist College Student Center - 1501 College Street (students & faculty only)
Wampus Cat Stadium
Fun Wash Laundry - 155 Farris Road
Subway - 646 South Harkrider
Frank Brannans - 646 South Harkrider
Dusty's Convenience - 646 South Harkrider
Hendrix College Student Center - 1600 Washington
Hendrix College Bailey Library - 1600 Washington

nonnipoppy
02-28-2005, 05:24 PM
!st Security Bank just north of the courthouse square in Clarksville is another hot spot.

Gaddiel
02-28-2005, 07:33 PM
I just thought I'd pass along the following FREE wi-fi spots in Conway. These are provided by Conway Corporation and the merchant listed. There is no cost to the user. I work for Conway Corporation and can tell you that more will be added soon.

WOO-HOO!!! Great information for us! How did I not know about this service? Keep 'em comin' guys. We've got a nice list going here...

MrsGeoark
03-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Almost all sitting locations in the Little Rock National Airport in Unsecured area as well as the Secure Areas is accessible at this time for FREE!

You can park in short term for 30 minutes for a quarter, 31 minutes it will cost you a buck.75. You can log cache finds just outside the airport proper, eh TopKitty? You could just almost find her 2 and log in the 30 minutes.
MrsGeoark

cachecrazies
04-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Mountain Home now has some WIFI spots too!

NY Steamers is a restaurant in the College Plaza (College & 62E) that has access.

Also several of the local hotels (as we see, more and more are going with it!) :

Comfort Inn
Holiday Inn Express
Super 8

We personally just went wireless today - how can you beat the price of a wireless card at $40.00 at WalMart?? After installing it, we had to run around town checking out access! :lol: Sitting in the parking lots were weak connections - but available!

I would like to see this list put in a more accessible place (on the front page or pinned) so we didn't have to dig through the forums to see if there's any new listings! Our ethernet connection has worked great in the hotels but you never know when you'll want somewhere else!

We understand you BPJack - we're so far out we don't get cable or DSL - got our old, slow dial up - but when we're away from home......

Gaddiel
04-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Mountain Home now has some WIFI spots too!

Comfort Inn
Holiday Inn Express
Super 8

Thanks, cachecrazies, for the contribution. I've added them to the main listing. Would you happen to have addresses for these places for us?

We personally just went wireless today - how can you beat the price of a wireless card at $40.00 at WalMart?? After installing it, we had to run around town checking out access! :lol: Sitting in the parking lots were weak connections - but available!

Congratulations on going wireless, and welcome to the WiFi Club!!!

I would like to see this list put in a more accessible place (on the front page or pinned) so we didn't have to dig through the forums to see if there's any new listings! Our ethernet connection has worked great in the hotels but you never know when you'll want somewhere else!

Good suggestion, and you aren't the only one. BPnJ and others have mentioned this on some other subjects. The FAQ would be a great place for stuff like this and I've been meaning to add them, but just haven't gotten a round tuit yet... I'm sort of hesitant to pin this thread, since it's probably not of interest to everyone who reads the forums.

Woodwalker9
05-01-2005, 06:03 AM
I'm sorry to report that Thanks a Latte has closed. As far as I know, there are now no public wifi spots available in Searcy. If I hear of another one I will post it so that you may add it to your list.

Woodwalker

Gaddiel
05-01-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm sorry to report that Thanks a Latte has closed. As far as I know, there are now no public wifi spots available in Searcy.

Thanks, WW. I've updated the list.

I also finally got this information added to the FAQ. Please keep me updated if there are changes...

Wayne

cachecrazies
05-01-2005, 05:32 PM
Got address for the following:

Comfort Inn - 1031 Highland Cr., Mountain Home

Holiday Inn Express - 1005 Coley Dr., Mountain Home

Super 8 - Hwy 62 East, Mountain Home (guess they think you'll find them if you need them!)

All are within a few blocks of each other and NY Steamers is "just down the road apiece"

I'm going to start checking into it tomorrow and see about turning the Court Complex into wireless - then ya'll can come visit me and log on at the same time! :lol:

Woodwalker9
05-05-2005, 06:56 AM
On Friday, May 6th, Searcy is unveiling its free wireless Internet access in Berryhill Park. The "Wire Cutting Ceremony" will be at 11:00 a.m. and laptops will be provided until 3:00 p.m. for this ceremony.

This is a large city park with restrooms, pavilion, picnic tables, playground, tennis courts, walking track, volley ball court and a large open area where you can fly a kite, throw Frisbees or balls, or just lay on a blanket on the ground. Now it will add free to the public wireless internet. Oh yea, it also contains a geocache(GCJKKA).

The coordinates are: N 35° 15.155 W 091° 42.925

cachecrazies
05-05-2005, 05:41 PM
8O We're IMPRESSED! Way to go Searcy!!!

How do they do that with the whole park????? We try to stay fairly up-to-date but the technology is mind boggling!

Guess since we've already found the cache that's there WW9, you need to place a new one in the park! :lol: Wish other areas would pick up on this!

Gaddiel
08-10-2005, 11:45 AM
I just found out about free WiFi at The Koffee Haus in Conway, located in Mountebanq Place at 1107 Oak Street (across the street from Bob's Grill).

Clark~Griswold
08-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Just about every decent hotel has WiFi these days. You can drive around the parking lot until you get good signal reception and "borrow" the internet for a few minutes.

arkansas_stickerdude
08-11-2005, 01:17 AM
The Arlington in Hot Springs does not have access. I would have thought at $125 a night they would have access but the AC did not even keep it under 78 degrees what a bad weekend. :cry:

nidomio
10-27-2005, 09:12 PM
On Waymarking.com, WiFi access is one of the categories.
FWIW, Russellville has several free spots I know about:

Exit 81 off I-40- all on highway 7/North Arkansas:

Holiday Inn - free access in the lobby
Arkansas Tech University Library
McDonalds -brand new and improved with internet & large plasma screen TV
Higher Grounds - cool coffee shop nearly across the street and south one block from McD's

Team_Dogz_Rule
11-30-2005, 10:03 AM
I wanted to send you this updated list for FREE wi-fi hotspots in Conway. Be sure to support these merchants when visiting because they are paying to provide this service to users for FREE.

The updated list is online at:
http://wifi.conwaycorp.net/locations.html

Happy Holidays!
Team Dogz Rule
aka Chris

Conway - FREE hotspots
Central Baptist College Student Center - 1501 College Street
Wampus Cat Stadium - Temporarily Unavailable
Hendrix College - Student Center - 1600 Washington
Hendrix College - Bailey Library - 1600 Washington
Hendrix College - Veasey Beach - 1600 Washington
Quiznos - 2850 Prince Street
Quiznos - 895 Oak Street
San Francisco Bread Company - 794 Elsinger Road
Faulkner County Library - 1900 Tyler Street
Chamber of Commerce - Downtown Conway
Super 8 Hotel - 2430 Sanders Street
Shaboogity's - 2159 Prince Street

Coming Soon...

Coffee Crossings - 1100 Bob Courtway - December 9th
Ketchum's Cap Expresso - 505 Industrial Blvd. - December 1st

releejr
11-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Hey Folks,
I persomally do not have wireless access yet, but with such a great list I think it would be great to take them and Waymark them

Right Now Arkansas does not have many waymarks, this would be a great way to get on the Waymary map

Here is the link.

Waymarking - Wi-Fi Hotspots (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/default.aspx?f=-1&DCTGUID=7bbd6cab-3457-40c7-84ed-997ce8f8231c)

Phantom_491
11-30-2005, 02:50 PM
For those with access to Military Bases;

Little Rock AFB Library has free Wi-Fi for authorized patrons. There are limitations, but for checking mail and GC.com there shouldn't be a problem. They also have some computers available for patrons who don't have a laptop.

RAMDrive
12-16-2005, 08:06 AM
UAMS is currently implementing wireless access to employees and guests. It can be seen from the roads on campus. The SSID for guest access is UAMSGuest. After connecting open a browser to your favorite site. You will be redirected to a captive portal page to enter your email address; once completed you can surf. Be professional with your surfing they monitor your activities. However anything geocaching related is allowed.

01-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Had the day off and good weather to go with it so I spent the day of caching. Thought I'd add a couple of items I noticed while I was out about the wireless access points.

There are two McD's in Russelville, you want the one on hwy 7. I also have some issuses with their access. I travel a lot and have used WiFi in dozens of places and this is the first one I've had to turn off my firewall to use. Until I turned it off it wouldn't allow me to log onto the gateway. Even after I turned it off it took a long time to connect through the gateway, but finally did.

I also ended up stopping for supper at SF Bread Co in Conway on my way home. Their access was nice and smooth, no issues with firewalls or needing to log through a gateway. On top of that they have four terminals set up for public use even if you forget to bring your own. (And the food is way better too.)

BTW: McD's N35 17.363/W093 07.974
SFBC N35 05.333/W092 24.709

Gaddiel
01-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Good tips. I had trouble getting access at SFBC with my PocketPC. Did you have to make a purchase to get a key, or is it open to everyone?

01-14-2006, 10:02 PM
I made a purchase because I wanted a snack, but I didn't need a key to log on.

On a side note I was back In Russellville this weekend on my way to Pedestal Rocks and droped into Higher Grounds (N35 17.297/W093 08.031) across from McD's. Their Wi-Fi is also quick and painless and their milkshakes beat McD's 200%.

sscacheman
01-24-2006, 05:28 AM
City Coffee Co., located at 1270 Hwy 412 W, Suite H, in Siloam Springs, has free WiFi access with no purchase required. You can even use it after hours if you park in the front parking lot.

06-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Minor update to this thread...

All McD's that didn't have hotspots before, do now, but they are Waypoint Hotspots and charge either by the use (2 hours for ~ $3) or a monthly subscription to the waypoint network. I THINK that some of the ones that already had free access like the one in Russelville are still free, but I don't really know. Has anyone checked lately?

AR_kayaker

07-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Here is a new "hotspot" though I don't think it's intentional.

I went looking for the "DamGoode Hide" cache this morning and I had the laptop up and running when I parked at the listed coordinates. When I got back in the car it told me I was connected to the internet. Seems someone withing range of the parking lot uses the default setting on a linksys router for their broadband access.

GrammaP
09-26-2009, 02:10 PM
The Stone County Library in Mountain View has free WiFi

arkansasboy
12-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Free: The Coffee Beanery, Ft. Smith, on Hiway 71 South on north bound side in new Italian Market Place across from McDonalds on the south bound side.

Not far from Boo Crew, LukyWest Team, Rusty da Dog and Geoark1 caches and several other's caches. Find a cache, have a coffee and log your finds.

They have great sandwiches toooooooooooo.
Mrs. Geoark

The Coffee Beanery is out of business now I believe.

drmo913
12-25-2009, 06:46 AM
All McD's now also have free wireless. A brand new policy that I love!!!! Maybe Starbucks will follow their example soon?

QuartzCachers
12-25-2009, 08:05 AM
All McD's now also have free wireless. A brand new policy that I love!!!!
I think that starts next month. That will be great for me!

pshelto
01-15-2010, 02:43 PM
I know most of Arkansas is up to date when it comes to high speed internet, but something I know a few locals do is get the modems from AT&T and Verizon and then hook them up to wireless routers. I have tried this before and it is quite a step up from dial up. Plus you can use it in your car for a mobile hot spot (which I think is the coolest thing ever!).

As far as hot spots go, I have always had good luck with hotels, although I wonder how legit that is. I figure it's their fault for not making me use a password and such, but still...it feels like stealing. On that note, I once heard that using an unsecured wireless network was not illegal without the owner's permission but that using a secured network without permission was. Anyone know about that?

I have access on the U of A campus, but the main campus requires(ed) a special program to be installed on the computer. I am not sure if they have overcome this yet, but it was extremely annoying.

In Glenwood, the church of Christ has free wi-fi. Use it respectfully and I am sure no one would care. There just so happen to be a few caches very, very close.

wilddav
03-24-2010, 09:14 AM
also at co0lbreez my cache its here at my w0rk,and i knew of a few but its been a while that i was at them here in searcy,ar
if you want for me to find them i will //just let me know ok †

Coon&Bud
06-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Well I have found and used the following free Wiifi---ATTwiifi I believe is the wireless connection

McDonalds
Russellville-Arkansas Avenue-near Tech
Springdale-Sunset Avenue-near US 71
Fayetteville-MLK BLVRD.. corner of Hwy 45...and Hollywood AV

Coon&Bud..oh they are all Waymarks too I suppose

andzep15
07-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Update for Mountain Home

College Station and Deli- 1580 S. College St.