View Full Version : Tech help please
12-30-2010, 04:57 PM
I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with their Garmin 60CSx not talking to their computer. We were about to head out for a day of geocaching back in September, and I was trying to load my caches, but my computer kept telling me that there were devices found, but none with the capability required to take the PQ. I also have my Garmin stuff in my Mom's computer, and tried with that, but no luck there either.
It is not a dire situation, as I have a new 62 which is awesome, but I would sure like to use my good ol' 60 for a backup and for Mrs.Q when she gets to go.
Anybody have any experience with this?
12-31-2010, 11:22 AM
My laptop has 3 USB ports, but my 60csx only likes one of them.
12-31-2010, 09:53 PM
What OS are you running? My XP machine has no problem but my Vista machine doesn't play well with the GPS. If you don't use the same port each time sometimes you have to go into GSAK and change a setting. Well maybe that is only with a serial cable, I don't remember.
01-01-2011, 05:33 AM
I had the very same problemm with my Nuvi 250W gps. I worked with it for about an hour and kept getting the same thing. gps devices found but not that one. Finally went on caching without it. Two days later I tried it again and it worked just like always. But just minutes before I had downloaded the same pq to my oregon. I never did figure out what was wrong.
01-02-2011, 12:08 AM
our "dead" 60c has done something similar very recently. When I say dead, it no longer acquires satellites...just shows one at the 12 o'clock position and never gets another no mater how long it says "acquiring" or "searching the sky" it never gets a lock.
I tried a different cable and that helped, I also left it coiled up in about a 6inch circle. to help with electronic interference. Let me know if you know a way to bring a gps back to life!
01-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still not sure what the deal is, but I'll get to the bottom of it eventually.
Will, I'm running the 64 bit Win 7. I too had some problems when I changed from the XP to the Vista, in that the XP is 32 bit and the Vista that I had was 64 bit. This trouble was mostly with the Palm OS that I was using for my cache info though. The new 62 has finally solved that issue.
Al, I've tried all three ports on my laptop, and both on my Mom's desktop. No dice on any of them.
Judy, that's pretty similar to what happened here. I tried it one day, and it gave me the no compatible device message, and then I retried it and it worked. From that point forward though, it has been a no go.
Jason, I will try another cable. I hadn't thought of that, and I have several that will fit.
Thanks again, y'all! :D :D :D
01-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Tried another cable, still no luck. I think something is wrong with my machine. :( :( :(
01-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Is the connection under the system area listed as garmin or something else...it should be set to garmin
Worst case you can try the hard reset which makes it like it was out of the box.
01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Yes, I checked the connection and it is listed as Garmin.
Tell me about this hard reset, please. I really want this thing to work again. :D
01-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Sorry for long delay, try holding down enter and page while powering the unit on with the power button. It should ask if your are sure you want to erase everything with a yes/no option. This will return it back to like it was from the factory. People say it can take 15-30 minutes to get the satellite almanac downloaded for the first time, but just set it out with a clear view of the sky and let it "bake".
hopefully this will do some good for you!
01-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks! I'll give it a try! :D :D :D
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.