PDA

View Full Version : Archiving Caches

pshelto
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
So I have a few caches hidden around my parents house that never get hit. Most are on dirt roads and quite a ways away from any other caches.

It's not a big deal maintaining them, but a few of them do use containers I would like to have for future caches. How long, if you have a limit, do you let a cache sit between finds before you archive it?

I hate to bring people so far into the middle of nothing, but there are some neat things to see for most of the caches. However, now that the ONF has rules in place, it's a pain to put out new caches to lead to these far-out caches.

Examples include: GC1RDDT, GC1RDDK and GC1TN6D (which I actually picked up today).

idratherbehiking
12-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Examples include: GC1RDDT, GC1RDDK and GC1TN6D (which I actually picked up today).

GC1RDDT I stopped and looked for this one this afternoon and it looked as if the ammo can had been recently removed. Now I know why.

GC1TN6D I looked for this one also and it was gone.

I guess I probably passed you along the way somewhere since I did find and sign the log on GC1RDDK.

pshelto
12-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Wow we must have. If you like, you can have an honorary find for your long trip. I pulled in Eagle rest to do a container swap and didn't get it replaced today.

OldRiverRunner
12-27-2010, 09:36 PM
If there's not a problem with maintaining the caches, why not just let them be? If you want the containers for other caches, just swap them out with cheaper options. The fact that there are long stretches between finds may be a concern, but they will be found now and then. I have several caches that are found very infrequently due to their remote locations, and one urban one due to its difficulty. I just let them be, and when someone finds them, it means more to me that someone took the extra effort.

However, it is up to each individual what to do with his or her caches. When you hide a cache, you should plan on leaving it out for at least 6 months. After that, it is your call. I would advise you to disable a cache a week or so before removing it, however, to prevent exactly the type of thing that happened with IRBH.

captaincooder
12-29-2010, 02:37 AM
I agree with ORR. There are some spectacular caches that I have on my "To Do List" that someday I will get to. It would be disappointing to see them archived simply because they get hit infrequently. I know of several quality caches that deserve a long lifespan despite their find rate. If they are no trouble to maintain, I would leave them be.

pshelto
12-29-2010, 11:00 AM
OKay, okay. I get it. I replaced one that needed work and they are both up and running now. I suppose since I have a spot in the ONF, I should hold on to it. Thanks for all the advice.