PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get ammo cans??

kcackler
11-15-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm getting so frustrated trying to find ammo cans around here. I've been to every junk store I can find (as far as Oppelo) and have yet to find a single one. I can buy online but the shipping pretty much ruins any deals to be had via that method.

We don't travel much, but when we do it will be to Branson, MO, Springfield, MO, Tahlequah, OK, Grove, OK, Stillwater, OK, or Ft. Smith.

Any decent army surplus stores around or on the way to any of those places? I feel compelled to get more ammo cans out in the wild!

Jffok
11-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Do you have an Atwoods Store near you. There is one in Ft. Smith that carries the ammo cans. They are a little cheaper than they are at the army surplus stores.

BSA534
11-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Pool's Army Surplus in Greenbrier often has a good selection of ammo cans, but I haven't been there in a while though. Heck, I've got a few out in the garage that you are welcome to since we can't really hide them in Conway.

Tim

kcackler
11-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Why can't they be hidden in Conway? Regardless, we could definitely put them to use. I'll be in touch next time we head that way. Thanks :)

kcackler
11-15-2010, 06:31 PM
I also didn't know atwoods carried them. I'll have to check that out.

idratherbehiking
11-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Hampton gun and pawn out hwy 7 toward Dover usually has a few. However his prices are a little steep compared to other places. But if it's the only place around to get them it may not be so bad. It's been a while since I have been there so I am not sure what he has now or the prices.

fishigfool60
11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Was in Atwoods Sunday and saw a stack of them for 8.99$ they where in pretty good shape all 50 cal. Atwoods in Ft. Smith.

pshelto
11-15-2010, 08:25 PM
If enough people are interested, I could probably put together an order from the depot. They sell in lots of 500 or so, but I bet we could get those out and hidden pretty quick.

kcackler
11-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Depending on what you could get them for, we might be interested in 20 or so.

sayitagain
11-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Next time you're in Branson visit the Flea Market at 1137 W 76 Country Blvd. As you walk in the store go all the way back to the very back left corner and there is a booth back there with ammo cans. Last time I was there the 30 mm were $4.50, 50 mm were $5.75 and they had one that looked like two 50 mm's stacked on top of each other for $11.75. At one time they also had several 8X14x18 ammo cans like the Cherrywood Book exchange in Clarksville and my Two Rivers Book Cache " A Salute to Clarksville" in Two Rivers Park. I looked almost two years for a container that size after finding Cherrywood and deciding I wanted to do one. Last time I was in Branson they only had one left so I bought it. It was $17.50 and its in my garage. If anyone is interested in doing a book exchange I'll gladly pass it on for what I paid for it. I don't intend to do another book cache but just bought it in case I heard of someone else wanting to do one, knowing how hard containers that size are to find.

kcackler
11-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Going to branson on Friday! Thanks for the tip. Well be sure to stop by there. If anyone wants us to grab some for you just let me know. I don't know where we could find any cheaper than that.

drmo913
11-16-2010, 07:19 AM
We can't hide them in Conway b/c there have been too many bomb squad calls.... BSA534 might be able to give ya a little more details.

kcackler
11-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Well, sayitagain, we visited that flea market today. Turns out that that is one of the places we visit every time we're here. We just weren't geocachers the previous times, so I never even noticed those ammo cans :)

We picked up 40 bucks worth today. .30 caliber are now 4.95 and .50 caliber are 5.95 (Very good prices compared to other places). They also had several of the .50 caliber on top of each other boxes and lots of bigger cans (maybe 30 mm???) as well. Also had some very unique cans that I've never seen before, which were 11 bucks, I believe, so I picked up one of those as well. Had to stop before the wife stopped me herself :lol:

If ANYONE wants us to pick any up for them, just let me know. We're leaving Sunday evening. That flea market probably had 50+ ammo cans to choose from, so there are plenty to go around.....Just get in touch.

Thanks again for the hot tip!

fishigfool60
12-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks for providing all the info on the ammo cans. Since I haven't been caching as long as a lot of you I don't have all the info on supplies like the vet. cachers. Thanks again for the info. :lol: