PDA

View Full Version : Competition, Friction or Good ole fashion caching

twooldcrows
11-12-2004, 07:04 PM
We often think we are in competition with each other when in truth we are only competition with ourselves. It seems we sometimes forget that the GAME…. Of geocaching is to enjoy oneself and to find new and beautiful place to hike, picnic, fish whatever... And even though this game has a definite pull to those of us with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) Ha Ha…. We sometime forget that in the grand scheme of things we are the only one who really cares how many caches we have or how many FTF we get or how many categories we have. But it is hard not to think you are competition against someone else. If that is the reason you are geocaching then you might want to think again… We should always remember this is suppose to be good clean fun for families not an obsession we have to beat a certain number or get to a certain cache faster than anyone else.. Remember dear cachers this is supposed to be for your entertainment and enjoyment.. Relax just do some ole fashion caching and catch a grin at all the wondrous beauty around you and remember to enjoy …No one is keeping score unless you are.
g :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geezer_Veazey
11-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Amen! Preach on.

Gaddiel
11-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Thanks for this post. I'll admit that I get some satisfaction out of watching the numbers go up when I find a few caches. But it's clear that we aren't in a hurry (just take a look at our numbers and how long we've been members...)

I've known of a handful of people that have experienced "burn-out" after just a year or so. It's easy to do if you take things too fast. I agree, just relax and enjoy the hobby.

DarkKnight
01-02-2005, 05:59 PM
I think everyone enjoys running up the numbers, personal opinion of course. That is why I do not go geocaching every week like I used to. I now go when I want to go, like this weekend when it has been nice, at least up until today.

DK

arkansas_stickerdude
01-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Running up the numbers what are you talking about. My numbers are high because I like to get out of the house and see nature.Also since I travel for work I get to see more places.

Phantom_491
01-03-2005, 02:09 AM
When I think about all that geocaching has brought me (Friends, Fitness, Memories, Closer relationship with my kids), I realize that this isn't just about the numbers. Even though I've been caching for a little under a year and have 250+ finds, doesn't mean I'm in it for the numbers, It just means that I'm very active, and I've found something I enjoy.

This Sport/Game/Recreational activity has taken me places that I'd have never visited or even known about on my own. It combines 2 or my favorite things Computers/Internet, & Outdoors/hiking. It also gives me a break when on road trips. I plan my trip, then look and see if there are any caches within a couple miles of my proposed route.

I might make a fuss about milestones reached, but that doesn't mean I'm doing it for the numbers. If that were the case, I'm sure that my numbers would be higher.

*Steps off his soapbox, puts it away, and goes back to his coloring books*

arkansas_stickerdude
01-03-2005, 10:14 AM
AMEN phanton

thenaturenurd
01-03-2005, 11:59 AM
As twooldcrows said Geocaching is a Game. The rules are kind of open ended...you have alot of freedom as to how you play it. I love it cause it gets me out in nature...my first love and because I can interact with technology (my second love) as Phantom said.

I say rack up the numbers...but remember why caches are put there in the first place to bring you to an interesting area. Im still new to this game/sport but I am loving it. Thanks to all of you out there that I have met so far and I look forward to meeting more of you soon.

Happy Caching in 2005 to everyone...

Craig

southdeltan
01-03-2005, 10:44 PM
I think everyone enjoys running up the numbers, personal opinion of course. That is why I do not go geocaching every week like I used to. I now go when I want to go, like this weekend when it has been nice, at least up until today.

DK

I'm not sure I understand this...

You say people enjoy running up the numbers so you don't geocache as much as you used to geocache?

If that's what you mean - why not? What do the actions of others have to do with your personal enjoyment?

I have several friends that have several hundred finds more than me (one has 1300 finds more than me) and their totals have never made me not want to geocache.

And don't get me wrong - if I couldn't keep track of my finds I probably wouldn't geocache. I think it's totally about the numbers because every number = a fun experience. The more numbers I have, the more fun I've had.

I've cached much less since Dan's stats site went down. Most of my geocacher friends have as well. I can't say that I've had more fun, since I've cached less. I haven't enjoyed the caches I've found any more or less than I would If I'd found more caches. This new ranking site by the Grand-High-Pobah looks interesting, now I'll have to get in the habit of checking it every now and then.

sd

Gaddiel
01-04-2005, 09:15 AM
This new ranking site by the Grand-High-Pobah looks interesting,

Are you talking about keenpeople or something else that I haven't found yet?

arkansas_stickerdude
01-04-2005, 10:07 AM
With Dan's site you did not have to put your finds in yourself dan polled from GC.com if thats what I read. That would have been awsome because I have a hard time remembering to go in and put my new caches in Keenpeople.

southdeltan
01-04-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm not referring to keenpeople. Keenpeople has been a very valueable tool in my opinion - but the fact that it requires people to manually enter their stats made it hard for some people to participate. A lot of people forget. I can't remember when the last time was I updated mine and I know I have more finds than I have recorded there.

Check this site out:

http://grand_high_pobah.home.comcast.net - Geocachers with 200 or more finds.

Here's Arkansas page: http://grand_high_pobah.home.comcast.net/Arkansas1.html

This page checks "statistically interesting" caches (In otherwords - caches with a lot of finds that are hopefully spread out across an area). If you have 200 finds and have found one of these caches, you'll be added to the list. It updates 2 times a week.

If you have 200 finds and aren't on the list - you haven't found one of the caches that he's checking. If you WANT to be on the list - email him, tell him your username and he'll try to find a cache to add (or adjust) so you'll show up on the list.

If your name is on the list and you don't want to be there - email him and ask him to remove it. He will.

The benifits to this are: It's autoupdating and it has almost everybody.
The drawbacks: It doesn't show more statistical information - like how many finds you have in a state - or your hides.

He has several list. I find it amazing to know that the number one cacher has 7800 finds. There are roughly 4,400 geocachers with over 200 finds (out of over 150,000 accounts....). To be in the top 100, you need roughly 1,700 finds.

There are 19 LISTED Ark Geocachers with 200 finds. There are 2 listed with over 1000 finds (actually over 1200).

I also noticed quite a few people with a lot of finds that I don't recall being members of ArkGeo. Perhaps somebody could invite them to join? :>

southdeltan

Phantom_491
01-05-2005, 09:51 AM
SD,

How often does the G-H-P site get updated? I know for my self it's a little out of date, but only because of the finds I had this past weekend.

Gaddiel
01-05-2005, 09:57 AM
I think I read twice a week somewhere on the site...

arkansas_stickerdude
01-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Thats an awsome page I'll have to keep checking on it. Thanks SD.

RuffRidr
01-06-2005, 04:33 PM
That's a cool site. I had been looking for something like that for awhile, and even considered writing my own (Note: I haven't done any serious programming in several years) but decided against it. I just hope it sticks around and doesn't get whacked by geocaching.com like other similair sites have.

--RuffRidr

PS> Looking at the list, I got a lot of work to do ;)

DarkKnight
01-10-2005, 07:20 PM

DK

I'm not sure I understand this...

You say people enjoy running up the numbers so you don't geocache as much as you used to geocache?

If that's what you mean - why not? What do the actions of others have to do with your personal enjoyment?

sd Well, a lot of it has to do more with hides than finds, I personally think, and it's my opinion, that with the increase in the number of caches, there are also a HUGE increase in the number of lame caches. I mean didn't I read somewhere on GC.com there should be a purpose to a cache, not just a altoids tin in camo tape threw on the ground for you to have to turn over every leaf to find it. Now, you are probably gonna say, yeah but you don't have to look for it, true also but I think there should be meaning to a cache, not just oh I think I will throw a medicine bottle out here and log the coordinates. It's quality not quantity, that is what really got me turned off on caching, at least as much as I did. I do however take my GPS with me everywhere I go, and I go on several trips up North, and West every year I always try to find caches, when I go somewhere, maybe I should say I get more enjoyment out of caching outside the state of Arkansas.

DK

Oh, and it does get turned into a competition, no matter how you slice it.

BACKPACKNJACK
01-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Dark Knight,
With all due respect:
I cache almost exclusively in Arkansas. Maybe that is because I really like Arkansas.

I also go for the quality of the cache, either the difficulty or the view or the interesting online posts about the cache but there is something that draws me other then having one more number. The one that is drawing me now is because of all the “DNFs”. A lot of times I will drive 100-400 miles roundtrip, just for one cache. Some people like to climb, some like to bushwack, some like to scratch their heads and tax their brains, some like to go on marathons and log all they can log in one day or trip, some like having big numbers and will log almost anything (it’s true) and some couldn’t care less about the numbers (also true). Just like some seem to post just to get another number (trolls) and some post when they have something to say (long-winded old men like me).

Each to his own reason I figure. Sort of like opinions I guess, you have yours and I have mine. I’m more then willing to listen to yours and to even consider them if differing from my own as long as there seems to be mutual respect.

It has been my experience, few things will snap an open mind shut quicker then disrespect so I will respect their 1,000 finds if they will respect my 50.

I say judge me by my post and the way I cache, not my numbers, and I will do the same for you .
That is a generic you, not just a Dark Knight you (don’t dot all your I’s on a BB and you get trashed. Right?).

PS. There are some great caches in Arkansas that are only about the location not the ease or difficulty. Just read the post and you will know.

Geezer_Veazey
01-11-2005, 12:05 AM
What's one man's trash is another's treasure. What's one man's lame is another's dame. It's that way in Arkansas, it's that way up North and it's that way out West. Use some discretion and choose the caches that suit you and enjoy. I'll do the same. And when the numbers shake out, you all will have more finds than me, but who cares?

arkansas_stickerdude
01-11-2005, 09:42 AM
OK DK I just came back from Miami,OK on a cache run and I grabbed 28 from 10am til dark about 5:30 and up there a 2 star is a 1 star here. I also found a 3 star in less than a min wich down here would have been a 1 star also. When I started caching in Feb of 2004 I set a goal of 500 in a year and I'm at 370 . This goal has taken me into 10 different states,AR,OK,MO,TX,CA,FL,TN,MS,AL,KS. I will add 3 or 4 more states by the end of the year. So if this is a competition lets do it on states,come now just going out and finding caches is the easy part SEEING other states now thats the fun part. As for lame caches MOST of my finds are here in the state of Arkansas and for lame I have not seen very many LAME caches. The caches in Miami,OK they wern't lame but very easy. So in that 7 or so hours I traveled all over a NEW town and found 28 new caches. On Competition who am I trying to catch? I don't know either. I do it because I have a personal goal and with no new caches in my area I have to travel atleast 2 hours to find new caches and I love it I do it on the weekend and the 3 kids and the wife go with me. The only competition I have is TRYING to beat the kids out of the truck and find the cache before them.

OK I'm off my soap box.

Clark~Griswold
01-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Hey ASD - we got you beat :wink: I just added South Carolina to make it 17 states, plus Washington DC and Mexico. Hope to get Georgia later in the week.

I agree with you. We are in competition with ourselves to see how many neat places and creative caches we can find. There is also a small competition among the four of us to find the cache. Everybody wants to be the one to find it (especially if it's a Nonnipoppy or Golfnutz cache). Yet we all share equally in the find and and excited no matter who finds it. Certainly no one is disapointed if they are one that didn't find it.

DarkKnight
01-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Well, all I am saying is a lot of people think it is a competition even if they won't admit it. As for lame caches, man I am not going to list the number of caches I have found in the state of Arkansas I consider lame, but its more than you could count on your digits. As for caching in other states, that is by FAR the most fun you can have. I have seen waterfalls in Arkansas, and some really cool places in the state, but take a trip to Colorado, or North Carolina, get up in the mountains and see some REALLY nice places that you can't see around here, plus find a cache or two to, now that is a blast.

Unfortunately I have a job that doesn't allow me to travel here, there, and yonder, so I have to do my caching out of state only when my place of employment is either A: closed, or B: they let me take a couple of days vacation. So to that I say, must be nice. Course one thing about it, this is the best job I have ever had, the money is good, the company is excellent, and the managers and employees get along great. So I guess I better stick with it.

But, its cool though, as BACKPACKNJACK said, everyone has an opinion, but also as I said don't even get me started on lame caches, cause I can name a few.

DK

arkansas_stickerdude
01-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Lets here them because if someone thought one of mine was lame I would want to know, this way I could do something to spice it up.

DarkKnight
01-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, let me go through my list and I will let you know if any of yours are on there. As I think I have said, I like a little something to see when I go geocaching. I mean what is the point of a altoids tin hidden down a dirt road about 30' off the road? Not a THING!!!! I mean come on you get in your car, drive down the dirt road till you have the coordinates pretty well zeroed in, pull the car over, get out go write your name in the log, and off you go.

Now, some people might enjoy that, I on the other hand don't. I have seen some good caches that you can just drive right up to and grab, that are pretty good caches, nice location and everything, I have also been to a cache or two (not in the state) that you had to hike for almost 2 miles one way. Once I found the cache there was nothing but junk, and NO log book to sign. Thankfully I had a extra piece of paper with me. If it hadn't been off of a trail around a really nice lake in a really nice area. I would have been really upset to walk all that way and not get to log the cache, but the saving grace would have been it was in a really nice park.

I know you have to look beyond the cache itself that is what I try to do everytime I go caching, but come on you can just about tell a good cache from a lame one from the area you are in. Hell, I don't care about the cache as long as the area is good. I have seen caches, in lots of rest areas around the country, at least they have a purpose, they make you get out and stretch your legs a bit, which is probably a good thing when you are driving 18 hours, I guess maybe it is I wish a cache had a purpose not that it is lame or not, but some kind of purpose would be good.

From GC.com: "You are ultimately responsible for the cache so make sure you know the rules for the area where your cache is being placed.

Ultimately you'll want to place a cache in a place that is UNIQUE in some way. The big reward for geocachers, other than finding the cache itself, is the location. A prime camping spot, great viewpoint, unusual location, etc. are all good places to hide a cache. "

DK

twooldcrows
01-15-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm glad our post has genertated such good conversation.. It makes you think about the caches you place as well as the ones you look for.. DK has some good points. When you go so far to find a cache it is kind of dissappionting to find you are at a garbage dump or out in the boonies with nothing insteresting to see or do.. It seems we hit a never ending run of these and other days it great and fun caches. I am glad everyone is stating thier choice and Letting the rest of us know we need to be more thoughtful about placing caches. There are a high ratio of micro and not as many traditional caches and it seems ashame to go miles to find a cache and to have three or four micros in the same place. Maybe we could reread the geocache general info pages and come up with so more imaginative caches than micros...they are almost as bad as the virtuals once were. How many of the last 20 caches you have done that weren't the majority were micro. (Our opinion) I think we could all spend a little more time thinking about what we would like to find when we place caches. In other states the majority are historical or parks, trail , educational area, something to see, do, or learn. Well again we preach on.. javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
javascript:emoticon(':lol:')We just hope that 2005 is a wonderful year for all Arkansas geo cachers.

DarkKnight
01-15-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm glad our post has genertated such good conversation.. It makes you think about the caches you place as well as the ones you look for.. DK has some good points. When you go so far to find a cache it is kind of dissappionting to find you are at a garbage dump or out in the boonies with nothing insteresting to see or do.. It seems we hit a never ending run of these and other days it great and fun caches. I am glad everyone is stating thier choice and Letting the rest of us know we need to be more thoughtful about placing caches. There are a high ratio of micro and not as many traditional caches and it seems ashame to go miles to find a cache and to have three or four micros in the same place. Maybe we could reread the geocache general info pages and come up with so more imaginative caches than micros...they are almost as bad as the virtuals once were. How many of the last 20 caches you have done that weren't the majority were micro. (Our opinion) I think we could all spend a little more time thinking about what we would like to find when we place caches. In other states the majority are historical or parks, trail , educational area, something to see, do, or learn. Well again we preach on.. javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
javascript:emoticon(':lol:')We just hope that 2005 is a wonderful year for all Arkansas geo cachers.

My point exactly, I enjoy a good virtual cache, and I don't mind a good micro, but it seems like everyone and their dog is putting a film can here, or an altoids breath strip container there.......
VERY well said twooldcrows!!!!

DK

Geezer_Veazey
01-15-2005, 10:40 PM
I think I have made a profound discovery, by reading between the lines, and putting two and two together: A lame cache is a micro.

One man's lame is another man's dame.

walkingshadow
01-16-2005, 12:20 AM
I think I have made a profound discovery, by reading between the lines, and putting two and two together: A lame cache is a micro.

I disagree with that statement. While I prefer a standard cache, a good micro is not the cache box and contents itself but the location. I have discovered a few interesting locations through micros. Historical, scenic or just an unusual place is good for a micro.

What I enjoy most is the find/hunt. My first multicache I found I got more and more excited at each step until (in a manic state) found the final step.

Happy hunting.

walkingshadow and red

LongDogs
01-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Well, my youngest doesn't like Micro's because there are no toys in them. However, I and my older son like the increased challenge in finding a micro. Also many micros are urban, and can be hidden in an interesting place where a regular cache wouldn't be practical.

I do prefer caches that are interesting, and take me somewhere I've not been before. Now that I think about it, that is what I like about some micros. They are often like virtuals in that they are somewhere interesting and worth a visit. The micros I don't really care much for are the ones that are in the middle of nowhere and are only a micro to make them harder to find. I don't like having to disturb nature too much looking for a cache, so I prefer not to have to rake up the leaves or pine straw looking for a micro that is under a rock, or something. I like to see something interesting with my cache, or for it to be very unique in nature. Something to make it worth the trip besides just running up my numbers.

If you look at my stats, it becomes obvious that I don't care about the numbers. For a while I wasn't even logging my finds online. It is a long story, and there were many reasons. I am logging all finds online now, not for the numbers, but because I think cache owners and other visitors enjoy reading the log entries (I know I do) and having them online, instead of just in the logbook in the cache. I've had a cache muggled, for example, and never recovered the physical logbook.

The bottom line is, my favorite caches are the ones where I think afterward "I never knew this was here" or "I'm so glad I did that one." To me, that is what makes a great cache.

twooldcrows
01-16-2005, 11:21 AM
We are glad that this article has gotten such good conversation going. We are not criticizing anyone or any cache in particular. It is there are some caches that make us wonder " Why would anyone take us here?" We have been to caches where we were meet by police, threatened, and or assaulted. It seems that the issue of gaining proper authorization has been a issue for us. It was discouraging to wonder what next. This situation has improved lately.We are not saying we don't like micros, but that there are places for them in urban areas where large boxes aren't practical. Like LD said it is frustrating to go in the middle of the woods and look for micros when there are a million places for one and you think to your self " I sure am glad I didn't get snake bit or an huge case of poision ivy.." And it is dissappionting to travel a long distance to find a micro in a car wash for example and then have someone tell you that you are trespassing on private property. We hope no one takes offense at this but these are issues that I'm sure many of us have confronted. The object should be something interesting, educational, scenic, hiking trail. good place to go fishing etc....

deltadawn
01-16-2005, 07:44 PM
I see the ever popular subject of cache quality has risen to the fore on this site as well. Now I haven't been caching for very long, but I agree that there are some caches out there that are more enjoyable than others. I also want to stress that I have ENJOYED looking for them ALL! I think one of the best things about this game is the level of individuality that can be expressed through caches. I am very greatful for all the caches I have been able to find and I thank those that place some of those "lame" caches because these helped me when I was starting out. I think the lame caches are a great way to get started and used to operating a new piece of technology(GPSr), and get hooked on geocaching in general. I love puzzles and mysteries so I have a few ideas for some multi-caches that will take people some time to figure out and solve, but those caches aren't going to take people to any beautiful places or long hikes even, they are just problems that will need to be solved and hopefully people just like to be challenged. Enjoy the game for what it means to you and not anyone else. I too am looking forward to the year ahea and the adventures I will have while caching. You see, that's the beauty of this game, you can go "lame", you can go long, you can even go puzzling, but the most important thing is that you JUST GO!

thenaturenurd
01-16-2005, 08:05 PM
I have enjoyed following this discussion. Lots of good points from everyone. I actually placed two caches today...my first two! One I choose as an regular size cache (ammo box) because the area could support it. It's off a trail in the park that I work for and has lots of good hiding spots. The other cache is more "exposed" and more historical in nature so I choose something smaller to place there simply because there was no room for a regular size cache. :D

If any of you are up in NW Arkansas hunting I hope you will enjoy these caches we have placed.

Craig

nonnipoppy
01-16-2005, 09:04 PM
.......... I agree that there are some caches out there that are more enjoyable than others. I also want to stress that I have ENJOYED looking for them ALL! I think one of the best things about this game is the level of individuality that can be expressed through caches. I am very greatful for all the caches I have been able to find and I thank those that place some of those "lame" caches because these helped me when I was starting out. I think the lame caches are a great way to get started and used to operating a new piece of technology(GPSr), and get hooked on geocaching in general. I love puzzles and mysteries so I have a few ideas for some multi-caches that will take people some time to figure out and solve, but those caches aren't going to take people to any beautiful places or long hikes even, they are just problems that will need to be solved and hopefully people just like to be challenged. Enjoy the game for what it means to you and not anyone else. I too am looking forward to the year ahea and the adventures I will have while caching. You see, that's the beauty of this game, you can go "lame", you can go long, you can even go puzzling, but the most important thing is that you JUST GO!

Amen sister amen.

We have placed a few caches in Arkansas and I am sure that some cachers would consider some of them lame. But I do offer another perspective.

We own no land to place caches on. We work quite a few hours and are not able to spend lots of time out in the woods. Therefore we place urban, read some micro, caches in parks and public land. We have a choice either micro caches or no caches. We assume that the individual cacher has the ability to filter out most of those caches that do not interest them.

There is a fairly large number of cachers in our area that enjoy a difficult, challenging, unusual cache hide. This is not to exclude other types of caches. But look at some of the logs on "The Judge" to see what the people looking for the cache have said.

How many new cachers have found "Cherrywoods" (some could consider it lame) and really enjoyed it?

Some people seem to forget that ANY find is great when you first start. In fact our first two were actually DNFs. How lame is that. but it got us hooked.

Arkansas (and I am not a native) has a wondrously beautiful setting in which to cache. We have cached quite a bit in Colorado and still think "Glory Hole" in Arkansas is the prettiest scenery we have ever witnessed at a cache. Followed closely by "Hawksbill Crag".

By the grace of God, we do not all enjoy the same thing. We in Arkansas are blessed to live in a state that has gorgeous scenery and a diverse setting in which to cache. So you guys just keep putting out those lame caches and we will eventually get there to try our skills at finding them. Regardless if it is scenic or you are trying to test our finding skills, or whatever you put out we want to find it.

Geezer_Veazey
01-16-2005, 09:45 PM
. We assume that the individual cacher has the ability to filter out most of those caches that do not interest them.

Gee!!! What a novel concept. I thought you were supposed to go online and rail at how lame the caches are.

For those who haven't figured me out, I often use satire and irony to elicit others to say what I would have said myself. Actually, I agree with you 100% and with what other posters have said about micro caches. Micros have their place and what may seem like lame caches have their place. It is a mystery to me why people hunt caches they know in advance they aren't going to like and then criticize them.

Poppy, I love your new signature slogan although I don't always heed it.

nonnipoppy
01-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Poppy, I love your new signature slogan although I don't always heed it.

Thanks Geezer. It is actually there more for me than anything else. I have successfully avoided commenting on this thread for some time but tonight after gettin 16 GC.com approved caches ready for the event I just could not keep my mouth shut.

I appreciate the cost, in time, effort, and expense that a cache hider expends to place ANY cache. If the cache I just found is not my favorite then the next one just might be. Who knows? We just have to go and see.
Yes I like some caches better than others but then I like some foods better than others. That is life.....poppy

Clark~Griswold
01-16-2005, 11:51 PM
There is a fairly large number of cachers in our area that enjoy a difficult, challenging, unusual cache hide.

You can sure count The Griswolds in that group. I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten into this game as much as we have if we hadn't discovered Clarksville early in our caching careers.

Gaddiel
01-17-2005, 01:39 PM
For those who haven't figured me out, I often use satire and irony to elicit others to say what I would have said myself.

:) It took me a while GV, but I figured that out myself. Trouble is, I learned the hard way that sometimes satire and irony don't translate very well to online posts, especially when there are those present that don't know me very well... :(

That's the thing about geocaching. There are all types from which to choose. I don't know about the rest of you, but I can pretty well tell by the cache description whether I'm gonna like the cache or not (then again, there have been VERY few caches that I didn't like....) Hmmm...

I'm not defending lame caches at all. ("Quality trumps quantity every time", right Geezer?) I've seen lame and superior versions of both full-sized caches and micros. I believe there is a place for micros, just as there is a place for 55-gallon drums. As hiders, we have a responsibility to try to do the best with what we have to work with.

BACKPACKNJACK
01-17-2005, 10:00 PM
This is my favorite kind of thread so now that I'm back from the woods (for awhile) and have caught up a little I'll jump back in.

Some time ago “As Best I recall” Gaddiel’s thread asked why you selected your ID and to this, I replied that I picked mine because ya’ll had taken all the good ones.
I think a lot of the best caching places, as far as scenery or history goes, have been taken so the rest of us, the late bloomers, are just stuck.....making do with what we have left.

I haven’t released the caches I have placed yet but I tried to place them in places that had no caches, places that had something to offer the visitor, places that are safe, with permission from as high up as I could get (not easy some times), and I tried to fill them with things people would like.

Later I will add some sneaky ones where the find is the reward and some that will take more effort or have great views but for now I’m just working on placing them in areas of the state no one else will.

It is easy to hunt. It is much harder to hide.

I have tried to log something good about every cache I have found because from the beginning I could see hiding was the hard part.

demonicangel
04-03-2005, 04:10 PM
You can sure count The Griswolds in that group. I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten into this game as much as we have if we hadn't discovered Clarksville early in our caching careers.

Same holds true for DemonicAngel. Clarksville is one of the very first places we ever cached in and we encountered some micro's there that greatly tested our puzzle solving abilities. That is what got us hooked on the micros. Also near our start we hunted on the beautiful Mount Magazine and that got us hooked on the georgous locations we encountered while caching. So, that is why we love both types.

Now on to the subject of numbers.

I agree with a number of other posters in that we are not in competition with anyone but ourselves. In fact a number of our friends were together for New Years and spouting off our New Years resolutions. Mine was to find 500 caches during the year 2005. I'm well on my way to getting that too, by the way.

But I have also encountered a problem. A close friend of ours who we got into caching (no, not Beerhog, he got us into it) has gotten into the number thing. For him, he is in a competition with everyone else. In fact he goes so far as to call and brag when he passes someone else. Anyways what he has started doing now is they will go to a town with a lot of caches and he will go in one direction while his wife goes in another, both hitting caches so they can claim more finds when the day is over. Now I could let this bother me, or I could let it roll off me. I choose to let it roll off me cause the fact remains that he is only cheating himself, and trying to drag me into his little game. If I let it work, then it is my own fault. Angel and I find the pleasure of the hunt in spending time together and time with the kids.[/quote]

MrsGeoark
04-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Competition? With Whom? Obviously, our number of finds does not equal the length of time we have been caching since we are the longest cachers here--February 2001--we found our very first one almost in our backyard. Conclusion: is that only with ourselves do we play the competion game.

We are not particular in the kinds of caches we hunt, our time defines the types of caches we look for at any one time. Yesterday, of our 7 planned ones, all were micros, but we ended with 9 with one being a regular cache with lots more than just a log. We always have more than those planned loaded in the GPS units and the PDA. A demand for us to do some maintainence on one of our caches by adding the 4th log book was defined by one of the finds yesterday.

History, view, beauty, fresh air, doing something together, unusualness and meeting others trumps the relative term lame.

mrsGeoark

arkansas_stickerdude
04-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Numbers are for NURDS in glasses.

Phantom_491
04-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Numbers are for NURDS in glasses.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Seriously, I like many others have stated am only in competition with myself. Sometimes I might stir the pot but telling others I am catching up with them, but I don't care one way or another.

I set a goal for myself and try to make that goal. Usually it's making a milestone, (100, 200, etc) by a certain date or making an event a milestone.

Sometimes I fall short because life throws a curve, or I set too aggresive a goal (40 caches in 2 weeks).

To me the numbers are just a way for me to reflect on what I have accomplished.

My .02 cents.

BACKPACKNJACK
04-04-2005, 12:39 PM
I head to a cache for differing reasons, the country drive, the number of DNFs, the walk through the woods, etc. but most often the key to what gets my interest is what is said in the online logs about the cache, although me and LIL_SISTER once drove to Tunica just to drop off a TB and help it get home. If either of us were concerned about our numbers we could have found a lot of caches in the 6 hrs of driving (and of course the 2 hrs of playing slots) instead of just getting one find out of it. I once spent a whole day doing “Forked mountain falls” so it’s the adventure…it’s the challenge…it’s an excuse to stop working drop the top and drive through the countryside….it’s spending time in Arkansas’ Great Outdoors…..it’s taking someone and seeing their face when they actually find a treasure…it’s…well it’s a lot of things and sometimes it’s been all of these things but for me, it has never been about the numbers.

Your mileage may vary of course and if it does I wish you Big numbers.

thenaturenurd
04-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Today was my 30th Birthday. I had set a goal to try and reach 100 by today. Didnt quite make it but I got close. If it wasnt for work I would have made it easy. I have truly enjoyed each one I have done and saved one in my own backyard for my 75th one. I found the infamous travelbug prison. It is tucked way back in a cave in the Madison County WMA. This also happens to be about 5 miles from my house and the first cache I ever looked for when I started back in November 2004. If I am not working and not doing honey-dos for my wife, you will find me doing either geocaching or caving. I love both! This was a great way to get me to see both. I figure the more caches I get to the more cool places I get to visit. Luckily I am off next 3 days, I hope I can break 100 by Friday. If I do great, if not there is still more time to get out there.

I have also kept pace with finding benchmarks almost as much as I have caches. Geo TB1 and made a pretty cool trek a few weeks back to find the Highest Benchmark in Arkansas. The MAG triangulation station which was set in 1928. It was there and in great shape. Either way if I am caching or benchmarking I am enjoying the trip and each find is a new milepost or place I have been. I look forward and back to them all.

Craig

twooldcrows
04-09-2005, 09:01 AM
We accomplished one of our goals in geocaching. 500 caches. The Ape cache, Earthcache and 16-categories. We will write about it in the Adventure section. We wrote this article in this section, because we where concern about our area and our good friends and geocachers. We enjoy our Geocaching meeting and meeting many wonderful geocachers. We know that truth hurts, we do respect everyone’s opinion. We do have competition among us, it got so bad that we over heard one geocacher say the reason they are putting hard to find caches is to get even with other geocachers. Is this what some people call challenging?. We don’t think this is fun we call this competition and friction among us. Competition (with ourselves or others) is so bad that some of us put our families in jeopardy. When you are not including your family, spouses, kids and grand kids it can in some cases friction in the family, hope no divorces. Sandi keep telling me she might start a support group for Widow of geocaching at geocachers .org. (If somebody is interested finding 1000 caches in one month checkout any big metropolitan area). Geocaching is supposed to be an enjoyable good family fun, treasure hunting in interesting places or solving a hard to decode puzzle. Why not put all this energy in putting more caches in central and south of Arkansas and where the geocahers passing by our State can enjoy them too. I’m sure that a lot of geocachers enjoys doing the ones in Interstate 40, Clarksville, Little Rock and surrounding area. We enjoy all the caches and learn something from all of them. Some caches are challenging, scary, easy ones, puzzling ones, adrenalin building ones, good hiking ones, historical and many fun ones. We should all make Arkansas the best geocaching adventure for everyone. Maybe we would like to see more of different categories in our State. We have one cam cache in our State, how about few more like Letter boxes, Earthcaches, we do have a wonderful State with a lot of beauty to be proud of and a lot to show out of state cachers. We do enjoy doing out of State caches, there is a lot to see and do and learning the history of this wonderful, beautiful country. Thank you very much. Happy Caching to all and to all a good night.

arkansas_stickerdude
04-11-2005, 09:03 AM
We accomplished one of our goals in geocaching. 500 caches. The Ape cache, Earthcache and 16-categories. We will write about it in the Adventure section. We wrote this article in this section, because we where concern about our area and our good friends and geocachers. We enjoy our Geocaching meeting and meeting many wonderful geocachers. We know that truth hurts, we do respect everyone’s opinion. We do have competition among us, it got so bad that we over heard one geocacher say the reason they are putting hard to find caches is to get even with other geocachers. Is this what some people call challenging?. We don’t think this is fun we call this competition and friction among us. Competition (with ourselves or others) is so bad that some of us put our families in jeopardy. When you are not including your family, spouses, kids and grand kids it can in some cases friction in the family, hope no divorces. Sandi keep telling me she might start a support group for Widow of geocaching at geocachers .org. (If somebody is interested finding 1000 caches in one month checkout any big metropolitan area). Geocaching is supposed to be an enjoyable good family fun, treasure hunting in interesting places or solving a hard to decode puzzle. Why not put all this energy in putting more caches in central and south of Arkansas and where the geocahers passing by our State can enjoy them too. I’m sure that a lot of geocachers enjoys doing the ones in Interstate 40, Clarksville, Little Rock and surrounding area. We enjoy all the caches and learn something from all of them. Some caches are challenging, scary, easy ones, puzzling ones, adrenalin building ones, good hiking ones, historical and many fun ones. We should all make Arkansas the best geocaching adventure for everyone. Maybe we would like to see more of different categories in our State. We have one cam cache in our State, how about few more like Letter boxes, Earthcaches, we do have a wonderful State with a lot of beauty to be proud of and a lot to show out of state cachers. We do enjoy doing out of State caches, there is a lot to see and do and learning the history of this wonderful, beautiful country. Thank you very much. Happy Caching to all and to all a good night.

AMEN WHAT HE SAID

twooldcrows
07-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Geocaching is not a team sport to insult others, it is a individual fun sport. There is no such thing as lame caches or numbers. We will find caches from easy to challenging ones for all ages. Thank you grandkid 38 and other cache box owners for placing caches for kids. They really enjoyed it. Each caches owner placement are proud of their placement. In this thread you will find insulting and many sharp thongs. We would like to be the first one to apology if we did insulted or hurt any cachers or any groups like in Clarksville, AR. or Miami, OK. This time we will stay away from this type of forum or threads

demonicangel
07-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Ok, I have been following the posts for a while now but haven't said much, but I figured now would be as good a time as any and this thread a good place to put it, LOL

I totally agree with twooldcrows, this is not a competition in any shape, form or fashion. I'm not trying to beat anyone out. I guess that's why I get along with most everyone (at least I think I get along with everyone :? )

I am so very happy for everyone when they cross over those memorable milestone caches... even if it is way ahead of where I am at? Why? Because I'm not trying to beat them out.

This is similar to another thread I saw a while back... urban v/s rural caches. There are so many different caches and way to cache because there are so many different types of cachers out there. And there is no way everyone is going to like the same stuff. We even change what we go after from day to day. Some days we want to rack up the numbers with easy ones. Some days we want to rack our minds with ultra hard urban caches, and some days we want to test our endruance and go after those that take all day to get one. It's part of the game.

So, let's all just do it our way and not fight? Please? *sits in corner, rocking, humming the tune to Elvis' "My Way"*

thenaturenurd
07-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Wasnt it Frank Sinatra who did my way... 8O

demonicangel
07-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Wasnt it Frank Sinatra who did my way... 8O

He may have originally... but I'm from the Elvis era and he did have a version of it. LOL

Oops..... did I just give away my age? :lol:

Geezer_Veazey
07-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Oops..... did I just give away my age? :lol:
You didn't give anything away to be ashamed of. I'm from the Jimmy Durante era. :(

twooldcrows
07-30-2005, 09:26 AM
Congratulations demonicangel on your 500 find and many more.

demonicangel
07-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks twooldcrows!!
My goal for this year was to pass the 500 mark, but since it is still so early in the year I think I'm going to go ahead and try for 600. With all the caches in Little Rock just a few more trips will probablly do it. But for now I have my eye on the Summit of Sugarloaf Mountain. One of our dear friends (you know who you are) got the FTF on that one and left one of the White Jeep TB's up there. But with a 4/5 rating it's just begging me to come rescue it. Do you think you might be interested in going after this cache with us sometime?

twooldcrows
07-30-2005, 12:31 PM
It is a great temptation alright... but we are going to wait for cooler weather to discourage snakes and chiggers. Thanks for the invite.

demonicangel
07-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Ah, Ok, but keep us in mind. Cause I don't expect that we will be going after it anytime real soon either. I would like to wait for a little bit cooler weather before I attempt that.
Those types of caches are the ones I love to get in fall and winter 8)

twooldcrows
08-21-2005, 07:09 AM
We’re Sorry…

We owe everyone in ARGeocaching Org an apology… We are sorry if we offended anyone it was not our intention. Our ideas didn’t come across like we thought they would. We are trying to be better people, life is too short to be contentious with anyone. Thank you all for the privilege of caching in the great state of Arkansas. We are not angry at anyone and we hope that we have not lost friends over this. We only tried to discuss what was on our mind about caching and the purpose of some of the rules. We thought that was what the forum was for to discuss geocaching and to ask questions about things that concerned us. Again our most sincere apologies to all.

Gaddiel
08-21-2005, 12:55 PM
twooldcrows, let me just say that forums tend to be pretty impersonal. They also tend to do a terrible job of expressing things like feelings, tone, and emotion. For these reasons, I much prefer talking to someone either in person or on the phone.

Don't get me wrong. I think forums are great for some things (like dissemination of information to a large number of people), but they really stink for other things (like getting to know someone). Hopefully, everyone here recongnizes that forums are just a communication tool. And, as with other tools, they have their purpose. (One wouldn't normally use a screwdriver to drive a nail, for example.)

ANYWAY, now that I've rambled on about that...

I know that it takes courage to make a public apology and I respect that. Also, I'm glad that you choose to be a part of ArkGeo.

canoegoddess
08-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Some rambling thoughts from a cacher that misses ark style caching...
Hide the caches you like to find. I'm not a big fan of micro PnGs or caches that someone placed on vacation. I'd rather hike 4 miles than 4 ft even on a sticky summer day (yes I'm a little sadistic), so the caches I plan to hide will be a little off the beaten path. And it's okay to challenge yourself or others to compete--just don't be an obnoxious a--hole. Sometimes that's the motivation you need to get yourself off the couch especially when it's the hot/sticky summer season.
And I don't think any ark cacher qualifies as a true number ho.. I went to a lunchtime event here and by the time we had dinner people were searching for stuff in packs of 20. That just wasn't fun for me and I went home. I mean if the cache is out and found 5 minutes before you get there it really ruins my experience. I enjoy the searching not the logging personally. I think 2-3 vehicles is the max that can be in a geocaravan and still be fun.
Plus urban areas just lend themselves to more caches because there are more people to hide them. You don't have that in arkansas it's too small and rural, and people are actually courteous cachers. Half the caches I've found here have been modified by the previous finder to make them easier. Why would I hike 4 miles to get something I can see from a quarter-mile away? People seem to preserve and respect the effort put into the cache by the previous hider more in arkansas, and I definetly miss that.
Also cachers all have different resources. I'm a grad student with a pt job. That's a situation doesn't lend itself to lots of numbers/time, just because I haven't found it, doesn't mean I don't want to.
Oh and if anyone is planning to make a trip to Tampa/St. Pete or Tallahassee I can hook you up with some must-do caches. Actually I know people that cache all over Florida, but those are the only 2 areas that I can personally make recommendations for.
And sorry if I've ever offended anybody, I tend to get cranky when I get dehydrated and hungry. I hope to make up for it if I can when I come home for X-mas.

NatureFish
08-25-2005, 08:01 AM
SD posted, way back in this thread (January)

I find it amazing to know that the number one cacher has 7800 finds.

She's the Energizer bunny of geocaching, now has 11,000 plus finds and still going! I have cached with her several times and can tell you she enjoys every cache!

Isn't it interesting that this game offers something for everyone - every geocacher can cache when, where and how they want, making this the friendliest and most inclusive game in the world!

A geocacher with 50 finds is every bit the equal of one with 11,000! Men, women, children, singles, families or groups - whatever turns you on! Now that's inclusive!

Geocaching.com's home page shows

There are 194455 active caches in 217 countries.

And, with all that explosive growth, I don't think I have met a cache or cacher I didn't like!

Y'all have fun,
NF

Horseshoe-cachers
08-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Being new to this sport/addiction I guess I may be missing the point. I thought that it was to get out and see new places, places that I would not have known about if it was not for geocaching. The cache is just an excuse to get outdoors and see something new.

NatureFish
08-27-2005, 11:22 AM
That's exactly the point I was trying to express - geocaching is whatever you want it to be! That's not to say there is no point, but rather that it's different for all of us!

The point of the game for me is the people - meeting and having fun with folks, going places and seeing things I would never see otherwise. I rarely cache alone anymore, and the cache itself is much less important than the adventures I have while on the hunt. I like being involved in and contributing to the geocaching community. The point of the game for you is likely to be completely different. That's cool!

Casual exercize, a full-blown addiction, light-pole micros or 10-mile hikes, a numbers game or not, benchmarks, waymarks, individual or group - whatever you like is what the game is for you and you don't answer to anyone for how you like to play it!

Over the years I have climbed mountain trails that took all day to get one cache, and have reached out the car window to get caches that took less than one minute, and everything imaginable between those extremes!

I like 'em all; other people settle on a favorite type or style. The PQ configuration and Ignore functions were built specifically so you can just see the types you like.

Some people use numbers for markers, others use memories of fun caches.

I logged maybe 1500 and then quit logging all but the ones that need maintenance or were in some other way notable. Having 3-400 I haven't logged I now vacilate, depending on my mood and time available, as to whether I log them or not. I attended an event this weekend that included a tournament for 45 caches - I logged the event but likely won't log all the caches - it's all up to you how you do that.

Again - it's completely up to the cacher as to how you play and what you enjoy. What other game can make that claim?

Black Knight
10-25-2005, 06:14 PM

Now on to the subject of numbers.

But I have also encountered a problem. A close friend of ours who we got into caching (no, not Beerhog, he got us into it) has gotten into the number thing. For him, he is in a competition with everyone else. In fact he goes so far as to call and brag when he passes someone else. Anyways what he has started doing now is they will go to a town with a lot of caches and he will go in one direction while his wife goes in another, both hitting caches so they can claim more finds when the day is over. Now I could let this bother me, or I could let it roll off me. I choose to let it roll off me cause the fact remains that he is only cheating himself, and trying to drag me into his little game. If I let it work, then it is my own fault. Angel and I find the pleasure of the hunt in spending time together and time with the kids.[/quote]
What in the world is the point of someone going one direction in a town and their wife, girlfriend, significant other going the other direction in town????
Oh Yeah to rack up numbers......Dang I am going to get everyone I know give them a GPS and tell them to get to tracking those geocaches, that sounds like fun. Anyone doing that in my opinion is missing the point of the game.

DK

Geezer_Veazey
10-25-2005, 09:31 PM
What in the world is the point of someone going one direction in a town and their wife, girlfriend, significant other going the other direction in town????
Oh Yeah to rack up numbers......Dang I am going to get everyone I know give them a GPS and tell them to get to tracking those geocaches, that sounds like fun. Anyone doing that in my opinion is missing the point of the game.

DK

DK, in your opinion what is the point of the game?

Geezer.

Black Knight
10-26-2005, 06:00 AM
[quote="Black Knight":3ot19w0t]

DK

DK, in your opinion what is the point of the game?

Geezer.[/quote:3ot19w0t]My signature answers that question. It sure isn't for me to go one way and my wife,buddy, or hound dog to go another and then log all of the caches under one name, I mean come on just because a member of my entourage happens to find a cache in a town, I shouldn;t log that cache as a find. I mean if they are going to actively hunt caches, then they should get their own name so the cache count would go up under their own name.

Let me bottom line it for you. Two people go into the woods to cache. There are 10 caches in the woods. If the two people split up and do 5 a piece they should each have their own name and log 5 a piece. Neither person visited all 10 so neither person should claim all 10, AND if one person happens to not have an account on geocaching.com, well then the person with the account on geocaching.com should log the caches they found, and not the ones the other person found. When I go caching, I go with friends, or family, they don't have a name on geocaching.com. They go with me because it is.......................hold on now................

God ITS FUN to go TOGETHER, now don't tell anyone that the secret to this game is having FUN and spending time with people you actually enjoy spending time with. (That's a secret now promise not to tell anyone.) I guess for these people who go to town and send their wife, girlfriend, or significant other one way and they go the opposite, really doesn't enjoy spending time with that person. At least that's the way I see it.

Have fun, go together, and see the world.

DK

Geezer_Veazey
10-28-2005, 11:07 PM
Have fun, go together, and see the world.

Amen, Amen, Amen. I agree with you 100 percent. And you can check out my profile and cache count and see it is true.

I can also see where someone could easily find huge numbers of caches. I visited my son in Dallas last year and I think there were over a thousand caches within a 10 mile circle. And there are many other cities like Dallas. I think I found 2 while I was there just so I would have it on the record that I was in Dallas, but I could have easily found a hundred or more on that visit.

It doesn't bother me at all that some people have large numbers of finds. And it doesn't even matter how they got those numbers If they cache every day, if they cache in concentrated areas, if they take the whole family and go in different directions, even if they falsify the numbers, it don't matter. It's no skin off of my back.

It puzzles me that you say numbers don't matter to you, but yet you go on and on about numbers. I can't make myself believe you are trying to intentionally rile up the people in Clarksville.

Live and let live. Don't let yourself be bothered by something so trivial.

Happy Geocaching

Geezer

Black Knight
10-29-2005, 07:15 AM
[quote="Black Knight":gpwmp2sa]Have fun, go together, and see the world.

Amen, Amen, Amen. I agree with you 100 percent. And you can check out my profile and cache count and see it is true.

It puzzles me that you say numbers don't matter to you, but yet you go on and on about numbers. I can't make myself believe you are trying to intentionally rile up the people in Clarksville.

Live and let live. Don't let yourself be bothered by something so trivial.

Happy Geocaching

Geezer[/quote:gpwmp2sa] Why can you not believe that Geezer? I just want to hear the secret from the big 3. Oh, and of all the reasons you mentioned, highly concentrated areas, or if you send 15 different people in one direction, or if they have more money than they know what to do with and cache everyday. None of those things bother me, well I would LOVE to have enough money to cache everyday that would be cool, BUT faking numbers, well there is a small word I kinda like to live by its called INTEGRITY I try to teach it to my kids, that is part of whats wrong with the world today. One thing about it IF the big 3 don't have it, that kinda tells you what goes on in Clarksville doesn't it.
(By the way to the moderators, I did not say ANYONE was lying about cache finds, I was simply replying to Geezers comments)

Geezer_Veazey
10-29-2005, 08:24 AM
I just want to hear the secret from the big 3.
I guess if I were into numbers I would want to know the secret also.

Black Knight
10-29-2005, 10:04 AM
[quote="Black Knight":l6szr8eo] I just want to hear the secret from the big 3.
I guess if I were into numbers I would want to know the secret also.[/quote:l6szr8eo]
LMAO whatever dude.........

How about this: From the geocaching.com guidelines,

Cache Maintenance
The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

Cache Saturation
The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area and to reduce confusion that might otherwise result when one cache is found while looking for another.

There are several caches in the Clarksville area, with obviously more planned for the next big get together, that are closer than the .10 miles.
Also, it is the cache owners job to maintain the caches, It's not like you can just S*** out caches and let them grow daisys.

Does anyone else find it funny that the big 3 don't seem to comment on these things, maybe they just have the groupies do it for them.

DK

Gaddiel
10-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Does anyone else find it funny that the big 3 don't seem to comment on these things, maybe they just have the groupies do it for them.

Or maybe they would rather spend their time making geocaching better in Arkansas. DK, you are very close to making this personal. I think you know that. Please stay away from personal attacks. (How many times will I have to say this?)

Black Knight
10-30-2005, 06:59 AM

Or maybe they would rather spend their time making geocaching better in Arkansas. DK, you are very close to making this personal. I think you know that. Please stay away from personal attacks. (How many times will I have to say this?) I have mentioned NO names, all I have mentioned is the "big 3" That could be three big mice in the barn, I have SPECIFICALLY NOT mentioned any names to AVOID it being personal towards anyone. Funny thing to me, ALL I asked for was a response.....Thats it, a response and I shut up about it. People read they just don't want to justify their finds with a reply to the secret of how they have 15, 000 finds.....thats all I want.

DK

twooldcrows
10-30-2005, 10:02 AM
We should have said something earlier. We AGREE with DK especially about Maintenance and Saturation of caches in one or two areas. Many caches need Maintenance .We noticed a few cache log where cachers mention that caches are wet and the owner didn’t take care of it. As for the saturation of many caches are in violation of the Guide Lines. We wonder if the Reviewer will reevaluate some of the caches that are in need of Maintenance and few in the saturated area are in Violation of the Guide Lines? Are these going to be disable or archived or are these areas caches have a special treatment or favorism? Or are these area ignored because of the famous word Cliques. Cache owner with High placement have a big responsibility and challenge of maintaining it and the Reviewer has a big job in making sure they are with in the Guide Lines. Are this caches in violation according the Guide Lines?

In Sept. 17, I decided to take off for day of Geocaching and do something different this day and try to relax and get away from the same routine, but had I had a Bad experience. After caching all day by the Ark river I had several ticks and mosquito bites and now I have to be treated for Lyme disease for precaution. The Physician can not pinpoint what it is and there is some more test coming this Wed.. The first night I had fever and bad chills so bad my teeth were chattering . I had high fever and Headaches every morning and evening and a light fewer all this time. I had pain in my bones and muscles. I let it go for two weeks and I should of gone to the Doctor earlier. Cacher’s should be alert to the symptoms and get checked immediately by a Physician. When I receive a diagnoses Wed I will try to let everyone know what they found.

I started caching in Russellville this date and worked myself to Clarksville. One lesson I learn the Hard way is that I didn’t use precaution against Bugs. In the area of “Snake Egg Micro “ GCQ75H I got cover with Chiggers, Seed Ticks and Mosquitoes bites. No blame to the cache owner, good Maintenance but I did not expected this, and should of use bug spray or some thing for protection. By the time I got to “Just Plain Mean” GCM38N. I pull out the cache and when I open it, I got invaded by Big Ants and both Hands where cover and many stings and welts. The cache was a ant farm full with eggs. This day was a bad day for me, did have too many bugs bites. Yes, in this area I found few wet caches, full with water, full logs that don’t have room to log anymore and the previous log s mentioned it over and over that need Maintenance and nothing has been done.
It is a challenge to maintaining caches when somebody have high cache placement, it’s a big responsibility.
Cachers can congratulate each other about High Placement but what happens to Maintenance and Guide Line? Looks good on the log and I’m sure they like to be congratulated by others.
Oh well, it is up to the Reviewer. Happy Geocaching. I will try to stay out of the woods for a while. The motto is USE PRECAUTION AGAINST BUGS IT COULD MAKE YOU VERY VERY SICK.

Cache Maintenance
The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing.

Cachers with high numbers of placement have a bigger challenge and Responsibility of maintenance by the Guide Lines and the reviewer HAS a big job ahead, if they are in Violation. That includes All areas of AR. Let’s scrap this one up for experience.

mountainborn
10-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Clique or treat . . . . . :roll:

Quietly and discretely they entered Polk County. No fanfare or hoopla, just geocachers, . . . that are intent, . . . . on having fun, . . . and ready for the next cache.
They had started finding caches up in the county seat, twenty five miles away, before daylight.
They had left home hours before sunup, traveled many miles in pre dawn chill, and were in a area where "cache saturation" is clearly not a problem.
Dedicated, yeh, I would say that was clear.
Serious ? I think they must have been, to do what they were accomplishing.
However, I never saw a frown, nor was a negative or discouraging word ever said. In fact quite the oposite, these guys were having fun and were all smiles.
They didn't just reek of bug spray and I'm not sure they had even taken time to eat breakfast.
Yet there they were, in the middle of a remote Ouachita Mountain forest road intersection, reading equipment.
Clearly we had driven up on a planning session. Deep in the mountains, their choices of travel routes were limited. The next cache might be only a little over a quarter of a mile away, yet they would have to drive 1 1/2 miles to get there.
Maps were spread out, GPS'es and lists were being conferred with.
As we drove up Butcherknife and I said "I wonder who that is" ? "Are they geocaching" ?
When we got close enough to see all the gps'es and such we knew for sure.
A friendly smile greeted us as we drove up.
Introductions and hand shakes all around followed.
As the conversation flowed about caches, I noticed that one on the cachers was wearing a Johnson county ball cap. I thought "could this be some of the infamious BIG THREE" I had been reading about ?.
Nah, surely not, there is no way to run up numbers in this area. The only reason anyone would cache here is for love of the sport.
. . . . .

cachemates
10-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Well said mountainborn. Looking forward to coming your way soon.

arkansas_stickerdude
10-30-2005, 04:49 PM
DK i beg to differ the caches in Clarksville are at least .10 miles apart and most multis, the next parts are .10 apart also. I would like to go to clarksville with you so you can show me what you are talking about.

Black Knight
10-30-2005, 05:10 PM
Kool-Aid Drinkers...............

NatureFish
10-31-2005, 03:25 PM
While I try to stay out of forum fights, I do read them (I try to read all forum posts in my Review areas), as it gives me quite a lot of insight into the cache hiders I am working with and issues I should be aware of.

When my name gets dragged in, as above, and accusations fly that I am somehow conspiring to give preference to some cachers, or that I am somehow part of a real or imagined 'clique', then I have to step in.

Except for Valorian, now in TN, I do not think I have met a single Arkansas geocacher. I don't research cachers even in my home state, and so have no idea, other than forum posts and cache listings, who's doing what.

Nor do I particularly care.

I have no clue who this "big 3" might be, as numbers are truly irrelevant to this game - I don't look at cacher's numbers and certainly don't judge anyone by them.

When Arkansas was assigned to me I had maybe 3 emails with the previous Reviewers getting me up to speed on certain park regulations and areas to watch for, but neither spoke of any particular cachers.

That makes my job simple - I can Review caches without considering personalities. No way to successfully be accused of favoritism when I know no one.

I try, as do the other Reviewers, to evaluate each listing on its merit. I get very few complaints.

What I do get, as do all Reviewers, is a bunch of guff from folks that don't know me and have never worked with me, just because of my role.

Once a geocacher decides to attack and drag me into his angst, I do become aware of the personalities involved. Frankly, I would rather not.

If you have a problem with a cache, feel it isn't being maintained, feel there is saturation in an area, whatever - there is a neat little clicky-thing called Should Be Archived that works quite nicely - it brings it directly to a Reviewer's attention. We take them seriously, and it will be resolved one way or another.

You are also encouraged to bring all other cache-related complaints directly to me at NatureFish@gmail.com.

Anytime you feel that I am in the wrong and need be corrected, write my boss - Hydee@geocaching.com. If I am in the wrong she won't hesitate to set me straight!

Any of those options are FAR more effective than moaning about it in the forums.

Ed

Geezer_Veazey
10-31-2005, 10:10 PM
Any of those options are FAR more effective than moaning about it in the forums.
Ed
Well said, Naturefish. I look forward to meeting you somewhere down the trail.

Geezer

twooldcrows
10-31-2005, 11:35 PM
Sorry Nature Fish, we did not mean to point the fingers at you. Only thing we want it is some answers from a person like you with experience in Geocaching. We like the way you play the Game, is fun. We where disappointed it in how the player in the Northern and northwest playing the game. Is not fun. Too much competition and friction between players. This is no fun Geocaching. Cachers in this area compete who can put better caches and next time you know they hate each other. Will continue this post Friday.
Let’s have fun in Real Geocaching in this area.

Geezer_Veazey
11-01-2005, 07:16 PM
.......Is not fun.......
You have raised a curiosity in my mind and I'd like to know the answer to this question: How can one geocacher know that another geocacher is not having fun?
Geezer.

twooldcrows
11-04-2005, 09:56 PM
I have my result of my blood work on Wed. After several test and confirmation lyme disease. I’m not sure if Arkansas. Geocacher site has any thing about Protection against insect bites while caching or on tick bites and precaution. The Doc told me while walking in the woods wear long socks and put the bottom of your pants inside the socks and tuck your shirt inside your pants. Spray your clothing with insect repellent; not on your skin. Ticks travel up and you will see them around your neck area. Remove any ticks from your body with in 24 hours and if you have any aches and pains in your bones and muscle ,headache chills and fever, go see the doctor. I caught it early and have not done serious damage to my joints but I will be on antibiotic for the next 21 days. No caching in the woods for a while.

I apologize to Nature fish, I did not mean to drag you into this mess. We did not mean that you personally approved this caches. We enjoyed reading your posting about Geocaching and your experience and noticed you and your friends have a lot of fun Geocaching. We have met many wonderful cachers from coast to coast and of course all of you in this part of the country. We enjoy communicating with cachers from TN. AL. MD. and CA we have learned from them.

We would like to thank nonnipoppy for introducing us into Geocaching and we won’t forget the first day we meet them and found our first cache.
Very friendly couple doing something they enjoyed. Thank you again and I’m sure you have introduced this game to many, many others, especially people looking for new hobbies and I’m sure they are thankful and loving it. Thank you for placing caches to encourage more cachers to get out and enjoy this game.

I’m one of the fortunate ones that ‘s on the road every weekend from work to home and Geocaching, helps me to break the monotony while traveling. I still have two main gripes in placing caches. One, is placing caches in Private Property without Permission. Boy, I did have hairy experiences doing this kind of caches. And today I notice a new one going south in OK side and I’m very familiar with this area. The cache was placed on Private Property without Permission and it is in an area were you find Drug Dealers, drug addicts and lot of drinking alcohol. I e-mailed the owner and the reviewer about this.
The next one is caches placed in a trashy, filthy and smelly places with dead animals near by the cache or areas that are full of poison ivy. Is very uncomfortable looking for a cache in this type of environment. Maybe somebody should start a series of Poo Poo caches as a warning to cachers ... I still don’t understand how this type of caches are approved especially if they are very unsafe.
But you know something, I don’t have to do them if I don‘t like them. I think this is poppies favorite saying. About the Clique?, how about a friendly clan of cachers
Still, there are Guide Lines in placing and caches can make the hunt a lot more enjoyable.

“Wake up Geocachers. We are located in a redneck country, If you want to get rid off some of your Geocachers friends place your caches in Private Property without Permission and watch them get shot or thrown in the Creek. They then strip of f their Geogears, like your GPS’r, Palm pilot, Lap Top and all the wiring comes with it and the software to be sold, so they can get them a new and better shot gun for the next Geocacher. Wake up Geocachers.” By Pit.

After typing a two page hateful post , why not enjoyed Geocaching . Thank you Geezer_Veazey you got me thinking. Every body should enjoy geocaching their own way. Who is going to tell you how to play the game. If any body is unhappy, then they don‘t cache.

I still think that DK has some good points on Geocaching and every one should have the right to voice their opinions….

nonnipoppy
11-05-2005, 06:39 AM
Jerry,

We are sorry to hear that you have contracted Lyme disease and hope the recovery goes well.........poppy

cachecrazies
11-05-2005, 06:56 PM
Jerry -

Here's our wishes for a fast and easy recovery!

Jeepers2 from Springfield also contracted Lyme's Disease a short while back but has bounced back better than new - so that's definately encouraging. Guess it's one of those things that we all take our chances with - whether we're caching, camping, hiking or just out for the day in a park. Use the "bug juice" and take what precautions you can to avoid it - and keep our fingers crossed!

Geezer_Veazey
11-06-2005, 10:52 PM
... why not enjoy Geocaching.
Right on, brother. My enjoyment is totally under my control.

I'm sorry to hear about your bout with Lyme's disease and wish for you a complete recovery. I also have been through that 21 day routine. Luckily I also caught it early and had no lasting ill effects, unless the occasional welling up of sarcasm and grumpiness inside me can be laid off on that. :lol:

That's good advice about taking precautions, something I think most of us do to little of.

I hope to see your logs and your posts continuing to show up frequently. God bless you.

Geezer.