PDA

View Full Version : Caches on the Delta Heritage Hiking Trail State Park

grzz51
04-30-2010, 09:46 PM
For your information: If you were going to place a cache on the Delta Heritage Hiking Trail..... you're too late. I opened my e-mail this afternoon and had 115... yes, I said 115..... new notifications for caches on the trail. BackPackinJack has got caches on the entire 14 miles of trail that is now finished.
Mz Grzz and I went out and found 5 of them late this evening just before dark, but there will be plenty to be a FTF on. Guess I know where I'll be caching for a while. :wink:

astrodav
05-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Those show to be 528 feet apart also. Seems like those of us who do Power Trails were given an "additional guideline" a couple months back stating that they had to be 1/4 mile apart, AND that only 5 could be published in one day.

This is most definitely a power trail & meets neither of those requirements given to the rest of us. So it seems we can safely assume those additional guidelines have been rescinded? An e-mail to those of us who received the initial e-mail about the new restrictions, stating that tey no longer applied, would have been a very nice thing to do.

Or has an exception been made just to certain individuals?

And since it appears at least 2 of the main restrictions of that additional guideline have been made non-binding, can we assume that ALL of it has, including the part about 1 person only being allowed 1 trail very 6 months?

Looks like this little project can be safely canceled now also:

http://arkgeocaching.org/modules.php?na ... 141d946abe (http://arkgeocaching.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2310&sid=5dece944c078791e67b007141d946abe)

It's a nice trail that he made & I'm looking forward to working it some day. But this also raises a great many questions about exactly HOW it got approved, when SEVERAL of us had restrictions upon our placements which would have prevented us from doing this same thing.

Personally, I believe an explanation is in order here.

arkfiremedic
05-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Not to change the subject on Astrodav's posting and questions, but TinmanJones and I are trying to get a trip together for Friday/Saturday to bike the trail and try to complete it if anyone is interested.

grzz51
05-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Don't run over Mz Grzz and me, we will still be hiking and caching :wink:

arkfiremedic
05-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Better look out Grizz for the four crazy cachers on bicycles goin' for 200 tomorrow.

grzz51
05-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Was that a WHOOOOOSSH that just went by Mz Grzz and me???

arkfiremedic
05-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Was that a WHOOOOOSSH that just went by Mz Grzz and me???Yep, left you plenty of FTFs as well. We had 18 DNFs on the day and 71 smileys. Couldn't get anymore as we were all exhausted. We figure we peddled some 24 miles and that was enough. Especially when we got to the area where Mz Grzz and you had already been. All in all we had a great day.

grzz51
05-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I recall a story about the Tortoise and the Hare....... :P

TinmanJones
05-09-2010, 08:04 PM
That was two days ago and Im still exhausted and by backside hasnt hurt this much since my paddlins in elementary school!
They should REALLY make bike seats "tail" friendly! just sayin!

Mackheath
05-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I spent two days last week hiking this trail hunting caches. I managed to find 77 out of the 114. Leaves me 37 for a future trip (when it is much cooler).

TinmanJones
05-25-2010, 05:15 PM
mackheath, me too, like on a snowy day!

arkfiremedic
05-25-2010, 05:16 PM
You ain't even got no bike! How ya gonna do it, walk? I looked at Wal-Mart today to try to find 'your' bike, but I didn't see it. They did have some on sale though!

TinmanJones
05-25-2010, 05:26 PM
AFM, yes, youre right! I got rid of that "bike mess" as soon as I returned back from that trail!
And you also right, Im gonna walk it and get those that YOU dnf'd! :lol:

Mackheath
05-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Has anyone rented bikes at Delta Heritage Trail State Park? If I make it back to clean up my DNFs, that is what I'd like to do.

grzz51
05-26-2010, 09:25 PM
I know the Ranger there, I'll check with him and see.

grzz51
05-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Mackheath: my apologies for taking so long to get back with you. I called the ranger today and he said the bikes were $2 per hour or $6 for a half day. Hope you can get back up soon :D

astrodav
05-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Those do have a motor on them .... right? Air conditioner?

grzz51
05-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Welllllllll, not exactly..... :roll:

Mackheath
05-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Mackheath: my apologies for taking so long to get back with you. I called the ranger today and he said the bikes were $2 per hour or $6 for a half day. Hope you can get back up soon :D

Thanks, grzz51! I don't know about "soon", but I'll be back at some point this year.

grzz51
05-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Give me a hollar when you head this way. Maybe we can get together :)

OldRiverRunner
06-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I did part of this trail yesterday (Memorial Day), covering the first 3 miles of the trail. It was part of my personal challenge to find 200 caches in one day. I spent the morning completing the Americana Highway power trail, giving me 173 finds and 1 DNF, before heading over to this trail to get my final tally up to my goal of 200. Along the way, I found an additional 9 caches, including the Louisiana State Park ParkCache.

I arrived at the Delta Heritage Trail State Park parking area near # 1 of that power trail series, unloaded my bike, and found my first cache at 2:45 PM. By 5:10 PM, I had biked 3 miles, found 18 of the power trail series, found the ParkCache, and had 7 DNFs for my efforts. I'm glad I found those other 9 caches on my way from the Americana Highway series to this trail, because these caches were more challenging than I had anticipated. Of course, being hot, tired, and under time pressure all contributed to my high DNF rate. Nevertheless, my final tally for the day was 201 caches found, all found solo. This is a new personal best for me (my previous record number of finds in a day was something like 28 or 32), which I don't expect to exceed for a long, long time, if ever.

I really enjoyed the Delta Heritage power trail quite a bit. I liked combining bike riding with caching. And, although this is a power trail, the hides are challenging and each one is a little different. I hope to return later this summer and finish the trail and the other caches, and hopefully redeem myself on my DNF's! :D

chimps8mybaby
06-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Nice job. I bet you're still smiling.

ExtremeTrek
06-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Have you seen this event coming up next week? Just wanted to put an FYI out there. The writer loves geocaching but has trouple getting on the forum and asked me to post this:

YOUR invitation to join me on a power trail outing! (http://visitmyarkansas.com/kim-williams/default.aspx?id=648)

Mackheath
06-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Have you seen this event coming up next week? Just wanted to put an FYI out there.

I saw this. I'd like to take another crack at that trail to avenge some DNFs, but I don't know if I can get out on Friday...