PDA

View Full Version : new, Hello from Cross county

Papillion
04-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Hello all, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Stephen. I havent had the chance to get out there and start searching but i cant wait. this sounds like its addicting. I bought a garmin Dakota20, so I'm just waiting for it to get here, which is taking TOO long,lol.
But I just wanted to say HI :) and happy hunting all. I know I'll have a blast. Take care all

Woodwalker9
04-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Papillion, welcome to this great sport and welcome to the Arkansas Geocachers Association. We are glad that you are here.

You are in a great location. There are some good cachers and fun caches in and around Wynne. LuckyoneinAR and Marksar are just a couple of cachers in your area and they have done a great job promoting geocaching there.

We look forward to seeing you at an event soon and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to post them here. There are a lot of good folks here that are always willing to help.

Happy caching.

wilddav
04-07-2010, 07:53 AM
welcome to the hobby I m still learning my way around also but woodwalker is right ther is some great people here to chat with and here to answer any of ur questions happy cacheing and also dont forget the geocreed code :lol:

Papillion
04-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I appreciate it. I will be on here quite a bit and helping others as I learn also, so thanks again :)

wilddav
04-07-2010, 02:32 PM
s0 did ur gps come in yet??? :D

Jffok
04-07-2010, 02:36 PM
WELCOME to geocaching and to the Ark. Geocachers sight. There is a lot of great people here and they are good to answer questions. Looking forward to meeting you at an event or on the trail someday.

Papillion
04-07-2010, 04:30 PM
No, my GPS won't be here until next week, around tue or wed :( so I have to wait a week. I'm hoping that the wait is worth it. I'll give you guys a shout when I get it,lol. See yall around

gingerose
04-07-2010, 04:35 PM
You are heading into the addiction zone! Run and run fast now while you have a chance.......
OH nooooooo!!!!!
It looks like it is too late.

Oh Well,
http://mainecoonsfromgretta.net/WelcomeAnimation1.gif
Glad that you were able to find us here! Feel free to ask anything if you have questions. There are many great people here that are more that willing to help out!

edieo
04-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the game and hang on for the fun is about to start ..!!!! :lol:

Papillion
04-09-2010, 07:38 PM
SWEET, my GPS unti came in early by a week, WOOT,lol.
Now I can't wait to get out there and start searching.
By the way all, I have a newb question,,, where do I find the long, and lat for finding the caches? being new has a few draw backs, and asking dumb questions is one of them,lol. Thanks for any help.

gingerose
04-09-2010, 08:02 PM
You will need to go the www.geocaching.com (http://www.geocaching.com) and set up an account over there. You can get a basic membership that is free but you might as well as pay the $30 a year for the premium membership. You have many other options available for you then, that you will soon be using. You do sounds as if you are hooked before you even have gotten started.

Remember that NO question is a stupid one around here so please just ask away.

LuckyoneinAR
04-11-2010, 10:10 PM
WELCOME PAPILLION!

It's great to meet you here on the AR Geocachers Assn Forum. I'm looking forward to meeting you on the trails.

If I can be of help, please let me know. I'd be honored!

YEAH!! Another Cross County cacher!!

Papillion
04-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks all, I found my first one just the other day, with the wife and 3 kids also looking. It was a blast, and so far we've looked for four and found just the one, but they were all a lot of fun to look for. We will be out there looking again for the four we coould'nt find, and I hope to see others out there so we can compare notes or just shoot the breeze,lol. Talk to you all later :)

farmnurse
04-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks all, I found my first one just the other day, with the wife and 3 kids also looking. It was a blast, and so far we've looked for four and found just the one, but they were all a lot of fun to look for. We will be out there looking again for the four we coould'nt find, and I hope to see others out there so we can compare notes or just shoot the breeze,lol. Talk to you all later :)

Welcome to the group, I am fairly new myself, have only been caching since last month. The people here have been great at answering questions and one thing my husband and I have learned as we find more and more, we get a better idea of what to look for. There have been a few that we have not found and we wait to see if someone else finds them and if they do we go back and look and usually find the second time out. Sometimes it is a case of the cache is just gone, which is a good reason to log your DNRs as well as your finds, so the cache owner can check

astrodav
04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Sometimes it is a case of the cache is just gone, which is a good reason to log your DNRs as well as your finds, so the cache owner can check

That's a good point. Many new cachers don't like to log their DNF's, thinking it might make them look like they aren't very good at finding things ... it doesn't work that way.

I'm a 2-time war-vet, & almost everyone knows that we are full of storys. We wear around the medals we won with pride ... but we also don't hide the fact that we sometimes got our rear-end handed to us in a thoroughly humbling way.

Think of your DNF's as just that .... battle-scars. Log them with pride. Then when you DO find the cache finally, you'll proudly be able to tell all your caching buddies how you had to camp out at the location for 6 days, searching 23 hours & resting only 1, but that 5/5 cache finally DID fall victim to your determined search. :) :)

P.S. And like she said, it really helps the owners out when you log them too.

sayitagain
04-14-2010, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the great sport of geocaching papillion. Another thing about the DNF's after the second trip or so you can always contact the cache owner or somebody else that has found it for an additional hint. They are always there to help. I'd rather give some more hints and have you find the cache then wonder if its still there and have to take a trip out to check on it, especially if it entails a fairly long trip. Another thing I like to tell all new cachers is to be sure and mark the location of your vehicle when you're going after a cache especially in a wooded area. You would not believe how fast you can get turned around as you walk around in circles following that GPSR. Sayitagain