PDA

View Full Version : Lets start a " Breakfast Club"

walkingshadow
11-08-2004, 05:30 PM
I am a little gun shy about geocaching by myself , Since the yellow jacket incident and hearing about the attack on the fellow cachers in ft smith. Once a month I have someone I can geocache with, rest of the time I don't. I don't know if there are any others in the same situation or if there are others that want to vary their caching experience.

My thought is having a designated resturaunt or even a park and meet on saturday mornings to plan a day of caching..... if a large group shows up we could split up into smaller groups... and vary the people we cache with. I think this could offer an opportunity to learn from each others and form caching friendships. Also help the newbies and maybe get more people involved who don't have anyone to cache with.

Let me know what you think. Any other ideas? Anyone interested?

walkingshadow and red

SJClimber
11-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Interesting idea. In what community do you live? Don't know if the locale is convenient. This might be a neat idea on a regional basis. There may be an instance where one travels and knows a local group meets at XXXtime at XXXresturant. Would make trips to a "foreign" site more comfortable.

If you met in a spot WiFi capable, the group could get online and search out spots in the area if those were not already researched by one in advance.

All sorts of options for this concept. Thanx/SJC

walkingshadow
11-08-2004, 06:24 PM
I am in little rock.....

The wifi idea is good... If not each of us could bring some potential caches with us.

I thought we could vary our location depending on what area we want to cache.... We could do little rock/north little rock for awhile and then head to conway, searcy, benton and work our way to other areas.... and then new caches are always popping up.

Geezer_Veazey
11-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Great idea, WS. Wish I had thought of it. I grieved when I read about you and the yellowjackets at my son's cache. I'll be following your progress and may even join you every once in a while.

I have a number one hobby, a number two hobby and three hobbies tied for number three. Geocaching falls in the "tied for number three" catagory. I know that will be hard to understand for some people. So I will not be beating your breakfast club door down, but some day I may take a notion and show up. But I hope it really gets rolling for your sake and others like you.

Geezer

BACKPACKNJACK
11-10-2004, 12:36 PM
A little informal camaraderie, support, and Geo-help,
without the time and expense of an event?
Maybe even someone to help break spider webs? 8O
Oops, :oops: I meant to say break trail.
Sounds like a great ideal. :idea:

LadyEngineer
12-06-2004, 08:58 AM
Anything happening on this? This is a great idea, but have you set one up yet? Please let me know. My family kind of did this Saturday. We got up and had a pancake breakfast with Santa, went and got our tree and then headed to Searcy to start on the around town caches and some others. Had a good day and found 7 of 7 before we headed home to decorate the tree. It would have been alot of fun with some others along too.

topkitty98
12-06-2004, 08:03 PM
I also like the sounds of this, folks. Especially when we move on into a time when my "new" caching partner has to do Saturday working again. I stay pretty busy during tax season, but that doesn't mean I can't take off some. Also my summers are WIIIIIDE open!

Thanks!!!

topkitty98
>^..^<

MrsGeoark
12-07-2004, 04:51 PM
This is one of the best Ideas ever in my opinion as for WIFI that would be a great asset. For information the Burger King in Cabot the new one on hwy 321 has WIFI access, other may as well.

SJClimber
12-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Have been away from this for a while, but still think it a great idea. If in Little Rock, Community Bakery is open early, is near the "freeway" and has free WiFi connections. Am heading back to Colorado for the holidays, but would like to entertain this in the LRA area on return mid-January.
Onward.

Gaddiel
12-08-2004, 03:50 PM
WiFi access is available in Conway at the Faulkner County Library at 1900 Tyler Street.

arkansas_stickerdude
12-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Anyone looking for breakfast in Fort Smith area I would work on getting it together.

walkingshadow
12-08-2004, 08:25 PM
:D Yeah..... Thanks for the feedback.
How about planning our first breakfast club for this Saturday and/or the next one?
To soon? Next month????
This could be a test run with some caching.
If you are interested post a reply with your location so we could find some middle ground.
Also post some area in which you haven't cached in and would like to go.

Times??? 8:00, 9:00, 10:00..... How early do you want to meet.

I am in West Little Rock. Since I am a newby there are many areas that I haven't cached.

Walkingshadow and red

GEO
12-09-2004, 09:51 AM
I like it too.
I will do a breakfast one,2 or 10 here in SW Missouri.
I have access to a 2 whole restaraunts anytime we need it.

COUNTRY"N"
REX's Family Restaraunt.
Near Roaring River

topkitty98
12-10-2004, 05:16 PM
This Saturday (tomorrow) I am committed to help paint my school, but please don't count me out!

Side note: I did "Breakfast with Tom" on Channel 11 this morning with my school, so if your tv sets broke unexpectedly, I am probably responsible!

HAHAHA!!!

topkitty98
>^..^<

walkingshadow
04-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Hey anyone up for caching on saturday:?: Let me know. I am looking for a few cachers to tackle grandkid's Mission Impossible the Quest. Lets meet for breakfast and head to burns park. Let me know.

walkingshadow

grandkid44
04-26-2005, 04:14 PM
Ill probably have my grandkids and parrot with me Sat to do some geocaching. I have some work to do on some caches in Burns park. As per the breakfast idea I can offer the following: Im a former Wilson Tiger , circa 1950s . We have a group that meets every Wednesday at 7am at Andys on Barrow rd off Markham. We played football together under coach Wilson Matthews at Little Rock Sr High , now Central. On any given Wed there will be 30 -50 guys at Andys. A group of players hanging out together for so long is unusual enough that Sports Illustrated is doing a story . We have found that the best day to meet is a Wed or , second , Tues.. Sat is filled with prior obligations , honey dos, travel, you name it . Many in our group are professionals , some of us are just bums , we go out of our way to meet and and harangue one another. Having friends for 50 yrs is priceless. If you want a breakfast club I think this is a great idea , but to be successful meet during the week , then , make plans from there to geocache , etc.. Your club will be all about comraderie, building freindships ,etc.. Andys is cheap and centrally located for those in LR ..however we have guys drop in from London , Houston , Dallas , LA , all knowing we will be there. If you want to do this just say you are going to be there, others will drift in and it will grow and take on a life of its own. If you would care to cache with us Sat let me know..if you are curious about the Andys meeting on Wed , be there tomorrow and say high...its sometimes rowdy. I usually have a cowboy hat on or you can ask anyone there which one is Doc..Bill Wilson occ wears a cowboy hat but he is ugly . He is the only federal judge that raises mules..he owns 4 and a half . You be there , they will come. Let me know. ( not the mules )

Phantom_491
04-26-2005, 07:53 PM
I would be interested except I'll be in Talledega Alabama for the NASCAR Race. I'll be leaving town Thursday, & won't be back until next week. Maybe next weekend I can make it.

walkingshadow
04-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the imput gk 38.... I usually work during the week so I can't really plan anything...

Phatom, I will be in Ok city next weekend for a dog show so I won't be able to do anything then. Red is on a flyball team. http://www.flyballdogs.com/flyinfur
http://www.flyball.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Unfortunately, this weekend is out I have a respiratory infection and need to rest. Sunday I am planning to place a cache but an undertaking like the gk's quest is better left for another weekend.

I will post when I am going to go and if anyone wants to join me that would be great.

walkingshadow and red

BACKPACKNJACK
04-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Well shucks. Since yall scattered I guess I will just have to settle for getting out a few more caches instead of joining your Buscuits & Chiggers Breakfast Club :cry:

arkansas_stickerdude
04-28-2005, 09:59 PM
I was thinking about doing something up this way or maybe even hitting Clarksville, anyone game.