PDA

View Full Version : Protected Caches

pshelto
02-21-2010, 02:51 PM
So I was out with EmptyLog (oh wait...I mean Hollowlog) yesterday repairing some caches and I decided to work on his multi-cache. He gave me the cords for it, since the first stage was shot and I went on my way. Found the first stage, made the repair and moved to the second stage. This is where the fun began.

Without giving away too much, I'll say we found the second stage in a circular object. Inside this circular object was bluebird...attached to the cache. Hollowlog pulls out the bird and has to fight it (not much) to get the cache out of its small feet. Crazy huh?

Second story here, I have a cache hidden in a rock wall that once was guarded by a snake.

Anyone have any wildlife cache stories?

TheRascals
02-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Wildlife stories. The first logs of one of my caches GC1BTYM tell some really good wildlife stories. See if you agree. I hated I had to move this cache as I could see it becoming a legend.

pshelto
02-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Legend indeed! That sounded like a cool place; too bad the owner didn't like all the extra attention it was getting. I especially liked the rabbit urban legend...that was classic.

Any other wildlife stories out there?

HikerRon
02-22-2010, 10:31 AM
I've had two of my Colorado caches muggled by bears, and had to archive
a cache in Castle Rock, CO. because someone found it surrounded by baby rattlesnakes. Twice.

HikerRon
02-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Also, I once was searching for a cache in Burns Park and found it guarded by a skunk. Literally standing over the tupperware! I waited for about 15 minutes til it finally moved off, then walked over to the cache. Smelled pretty bad around there!

grzz51
02-22-2010, 06:05 PM
I once found one of Woodwalker's caches that a nest of ants had set up residence in. I didn't know so many ants could fit in such a small place 8O

fishigfool60
12-04-2010, 06:44 AM
While it might not be protected it is something to keep in mind. You know there are a lot of containers placed at the base of street signs and lamp post. Just please remember that a lot of our 4 legged friends stop by these places and salute these poles. So some of the soggy logs may not always be water damage! Please remember to use hand sanitizer after signing and replacing a cache.

Nukeworker
12-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Great observation and excellent advice. We keep hand sanitizer in each vehicle and in our backpacks, using it often during a day of caching. Wouldn't cache without it.

Jffok
12-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Great advice on the hand sanitizer. I keep it handy as well but some caching friends told me that used it each time they cached near poision ivy or poision oak. They claim it gets rid of any they may have touched and therefore they don't ever break out with it. I've used it all summer and so far no poision ivy or oak.

chimps8mybaby
12-06-2010, 09:28 AM
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq154/chimps8mybaby/ScreenHunter_02Dec060921.gif

Park & Run

captaincooder
12-18-2010, 06:10 AM
8O Ditto the hornet's nest on one of Hick's caches this past summer. I carried a can of wasp spray and a baseball bat, but the nest had been knocked down. I didn't know that going in.

I found this Mama Robin on her nest in Iowa at GC1PRA5 on 4/28/09. When I first saw her, she was facing me, and so still that I thought she was a taxidermied bird geocache. I stared a long while, wondering if she were real. Finally, she blinked an eye. I ran to grab my camera, but by the time I returned, she had turned around in the nest.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/3eeba255-4011-4daa-92c2-9956c694e592.jpg