PDA

View Full Version : Logging of finds??????

specialteacher
02-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Something has been puzzling me lately. I have noticed an increasing number of cachers that have logged their own hides as finds. I thought that a find was a cache of someone else that you have found. If we give praise to those based on the number of caches found how could logging our own caches be right? How do others feel about this subject?

arkfiremedic
02-07-2010, 02:56 PM
I hadn't noticed this... I haven't done it and haven't known anyone personally to do it. Kinda takes the fun out of a smiley if your "find" was something you "hid" but that is just my opinion.

AR-HICK
02-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I have seen this also and I just look at the cacher who does that and I don't have a lot of respect for them. This is in the Russellville area and I have not seen it in other places unless it was a Newbie(I just figured it was a mistake in that case). On many of occasions I have spent 30 minutes or more to find a cache of mine that was reported missing and when I did find it (if it was there) I thought about logging it, not really. It is just part of being a cache owner and doing maintenance on my caches. I am not the best at maintaining my caches, but I don't log them as finds. A few times I have helped hide a cache for someone else and I don't make a mad dash for a ftf either.

If you are logging your own caches all you are doing is FALSELY bumping your numbers.
They are lazy and I bet that you don't even unroll a logsheet when they find a cache and just sign the outside of it(We have all seen some cachers do this).
Further more those cachers really don't look on this website and that is fine with me, I don't want to associate with them for this and other reasons.

rklmbl
02-07-2010, 03:19 PM
We have not noticed an increase in the number of cachers who log their own caches as found but we are very aware of two cachers in your area who log their own caches as found. Plus, one of these cachers logs his own caches as found multiple times under the guise of maintenance or whatever, and he logs other's caches that he finds multiple times. And he logs caches as found when he doesn't sign the logs. Folks, that's just not the way to play the game...in our opinion at least.

Don't know what we can do about cachers logging their own caches as found but you can surely delete the logs when a cacher logs your cache without signing the log or logs it as found multiple times.

This is just our two cents worth. What does everyone else think?

edieo
02-07-2010, 04:53 PM
I agree I had a problem with a new cacher that logged one of my caches twice I delete it ,,He relogged I explain ,I deleted it again he relogged it again this went for a while ,,every time I delete I explain ,,finally after about six times he didn't relog again ,,He didn't know any better ,,the others do!!

Nukeworker
02-07-2010, 06:50 PM
I am pretty sure that we have made a mistake or two ( or several) while playing this game. Most due to not knowing what we were doing, being totally over our heads with the technology, or maybe just a simple error of not double checking our logs and numbers. I would hope that when we mess up, that someone would email us and set us straight. We try so hard, as do most cachers, to follow the rules. We apologize for any mistakes we unintentionally made.

I think that emailing the offender with a notice that they have made an error is appropriate and deleting repeat logs is probably necessary.

idratherbehiking
02-07-2010, 08:00 PM
:( Hey y'all stop talkin' 'bout me like that. :wink:

Just kidding, however I know exactly who the 2 are and believe me I have talked to them both about it without having any effect. I explained to the one that the Owner maintenance log is there for a reason yet he still logs it as found. And the other one, don't even get me started there.

I do confess I have logged a find on one of my own caches one time. We held a CITO event back in 2008 and I hid a few temp caches for everyone else to find and allowed them to log them on one of my hides. I did not log those but another cacher hid a temp cache that I found so I went ahead and logged that one. If anyone feels that I should not have done so, I will delete it.

As far as trying to figure out what we can do about these cachers. Really there is nothing in the rules that says not to log your own caches so I guess if that is what they want to do I can't stop them. But if someone logs one of mine more than once or logs it and has not signed the physical logsheet I will delete their log. :twisted:

Just my thoughts if they are really worth anything.

Ashallond
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
The only times that I could see someone logging their own caches are part of an event, or if you fulfilled a challenge cache.

ARLT1YJ
02-08-2010, 01:52 PM
If we give praise to those based on the number of caches found how could logging our own caches be right?

I tend to give more praise to folks who've found difficult caches; whether that's bushwhacking many miles or solving a challenging puzzle. Therefore I give more credit to someone who's found 200 quality caches then someone who's racked up 2,000 skirt lifters. Please don't take that the wrong way, I've found my share of 1-1.5 difficulty caches and wouldn't bad-mouth anyone who does them exclusively.

How do others feel about this subject?

It doesn't bother me that someone logs their own cache as a find. If they found it at a later date than when they'd hid it, then technically it is a find.

If they're logging the same one as 'found' multiple times, I have to question their intentions. Either they don't know how to properly log their maintenance trips or they are trying to artificially run up their finds. Or possibly they are doing it just to bother people and buck the system.

TnT
02-08-2010, 05:50 PM
If you are logging your own caches all you are doing is FALSELY bumping your numbers.

And, the same could be said for logging temporary caches at events. If a cache isn't good enough to have a GC number, is it good enough to log?

Clark~Griswold
02-08-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm from Russellville and was afraid you all were talking about me until I read IRBH's post.

I had four caches I wanted to leave when we moved to Mississippi so I asked ORR to adopt them. After they were adopted, my number of Cache Hides dropped by four and those caches started to show up on my PQ. It didn't seem right that I "lost" four hides, and I didn't want the caches to keep showing up on my PQ when I came back to visit, so I logged them as finds.

Now that we moved back, I re-adopted them and they once again count as hides . I thought about deleting my logs, but then the "special" caches I found for my 00 milestones would no longer be the same.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think having four additional finds is going to impress anyone. While I do have pride in the number of finds we have, I'm certainly not in competition with anyone. I'm more interested in how many states we've found caches in.

I do agree that cachers should not be logging their own hides, but at least they are hiding them. What really bothers me are the cachers with over 1000 finds and 0 hides, but that's a subject for another thread.

TinmanJones
02-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Seeing as how Im the "n00b" here, I probably have no place in this thread (with my measly 105 finds)!
But reading this makes me very aware of things I need to pay very close attention to!

Tonight, my very first 4 hides were published (and yes, Im more excited than a fat kind in a Mc Donalds palyground), in NO way do I want to make a mistake (rules or not) in how I do things!

I would hope, that if I make a mistake in logs, or maintenance, or even hiding up and coming caches, that someone would show me the correct way of doing things!

There really is a TON of information for us new guys/gals to take in and learn!

So, Im here, asking, someone please be patient with me and help me and other newbs along! I dont mind someone taking me by the hand and leading me, but do it in a respectful way!

I know yall will, because that is the kind of community that we (most cachers anyway) have! And Im proud to be a part of this community!

Thanks for making me a little more aware!

HikerRon
02-08-2010, 09:12 PM
1- I dont think it's right to log finds on caches that you have hidden. the whole idea strikes me as ridiculous. The whole sport of geocaching is based on honesty... what's to prevent someone from just sitting down at the computer and start logging finds on caches he's never visited?
2- Logging the outside of a rolled-up log. I'm guilty as charged. There, i said it. Mostly i do it on those #$%#! nanos that i can never seem to get rolled
back up properly. If this is a big issue for hiders, let me know and i promise
to quit it.
3- off hand i can only think of a couple of caches i logged as a find without
signing the log. Both were logged with owner's permission, as they were
missing.
BTW- if someone thinks that one of my caches is missing, and can describe
the hiding spot well enough, i will usually tell them to go ahead and log it
as a find, as i dont want them to have to make another trip just to sign the log.
unless of course, it's AR-Hick. He ALWAYS has to go back a second time:)

astrodav
02-08-2010, 11:03 PM
if someone thinks that one of my caches is missing, and can describe the hiding spot well enough, i will usually tell them to go ahead and log it as a find, as i dont want them to have to make another trip just to sign the log.

That's always been my policy on my own caches also. I do alot of long distance caching, sometimes going through an area that I may not intend to go back through for a long time. It's really annoying to spend alot of time on some cache, then find out later it wasn't even there. It's a very polite & professional thing to do for a fellow cacher to just let them claim it in a case like that, especially if it's obvious they spent a great deal of time trying to find it.

That's also the reason I provide a usable hint on all of my caches which are above a "1" or so. I'm secure enough about my ability to hide a cache & make it difficult, if that's what I intend to do, without using "hint-suspension" as part of that difficulty.

I want the finder to have fun on my hides. As long as he/she does that, is satisfied with their experience, & at least makes a decent effort to find it....that's good enough for me. If the cache is missing, in the wrong place, wrong coordinates, bad puzzle, or something similar....then that's MY fault. I'll take the hit on that & let the cacher claim it if he wants, to save a special trip back out just to sign a log.

But that's my own modus operandi & I know from experience that everyone doesn't share the same feelings towards caching. In the end, it's the cache-owners decision, since it's his cache. If he wants to be strict or lenient, that's his/her own personal choice.

But of course it is reciprocal. If someone makes me drive 50 miles again just to put a sig on a log which was too soaked to sign ....... they shouldn't be at all surprised when I delete their OWN log which says, "I could see the cache, but couldn't sign the log, because it was guarded by a pack of rattlesnakes. So I'm going to claim a find here".

No.....you ain't. :twisted: :twisted:

QuartzCachers
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
THAT'S what I can do with these irritating snow days! I will just sit right down here and log 10,000 virtuals that are not being watched anymore and I'll be the top finder in the state! No wait, I'll do 35,000 and then I'll be the number one in the world! :idea: :idea: :D
Just kidding, of course, but that does illustrate a point. Special situations where someone logs their own for event temps, or in a special circumstance such as the one the The Griswolds explained are one thing, but to routinely bump your numbers by doing a drive by, or when it should be a maintenence log on your own cache, I think is wrong. If anyone doesn't think that there is some amount of FRIENDLY competition among cachers for the numbers, you are lying to yourslef. I am a competetive person, and so are many other cachers that I know, whether they will admit it or not. So to bump those numbers falsely would be cheating in that regard.
As for event temps, I can see TNT's point, but with the competitive standpoint now being admitted to, I'll quit when every body else does. :D :D :D
There is my two cents worth if anyone cares. Happy snow day everyone!

TnT
02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Did somebody get snow? Only a few inches all winter in NWA. Not even enough to be bothered with.

AR-HICK
02-09-2010, 07:27 PM
HikerRon said
AR-Hick. He ALWAYS has to go back a second time:)

I am so happy to be of priviledge 8O

Maybe I should do a little thinking for my OLD Buddy HikerRon :idea:

astrodav
02-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Did somebody get snow? Only a few inches all winter in NWA. Not even enough to be bothered with.

Seems like the snow has sorta went through the middle of the state this year. We had 8 inches on the ground yesterday in my Fourche Valley cow pasture. It's mostly ice now though, because of the cold temps last night. I know, because I "requested" some snow ice cream & received a vanilla flavored ice slush instead. :evil:

We had just a bit on Christmas Eve, about 3 inches around Jan. 10th, & some more some other time. The way this valley points straight towards Oklahoma....if there is snow in the area, we get hammered by it.

Don't get tornadoes down in here however, so I can live with the snow. :lol:

redink
02-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I believe it was HikerRon who posted a thread in the NWAC forums
about geo-senility.

Lately I can't seem to find a 1/1 rated cache, so I doubt if I could find
my own hides during routine checks.

I find it hard to believe someone would log their own caches, but it
must be happening. If someone likes to cheat or embellish their numbers
in a game/sport/ hobby like this one, could you trust them with more
important issues in life? I would have to say NO, but they will more than likely to be the first ones to want a helping hand when the time comes.

They will have to be the ones to live with what everyone else already knows about them, and those numbers will mean a lot more than than their number of finds.

cachemates
02-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Today while checking on some of my old caches I found one of my caches that had been washed away due to Lake Greeson flooding back in 02/03 2007. It was about a 1/4 mile from where it was originally hidden. I found it beside the trail partially covered with leaves. The contents were dry and in good shape due to the unbeatable ammo can.
I guess it has been floating around all this time.
Now since I found it 3 years later and 1/4 mile from where I placed it, Do I get to log it? Just kidding! I already read what you all think of folks that do that!
The Smilie just Ain't worth it!!!

astrodav
02-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Today while checking on some of my old caches I found one of my caches that had been washed away ....... The contents were dry and in good shape due to the unbeatable ammo can ....... Do I get to log it?

Just let me adopt it, then you can legally claim a find for it, & nobody can say nuthin'. Of course that will mean I own the ammo box after that, but isn't that a small price to pay for a smiley? 8) 8)

P.S. Don't laugh at the idea. It's better than spending 7,200 $$$ on a couple of plastic tubes, like someone did at Paris a month or so back. :twisted: :twisted:

captaincooder
02-25-2010, 12:26 AM
I am SO naive. When I first heard this rumor, I was stunned. Now, IRBH is saying there are two of you? Are you kidding me? Both here in Russellville? This kind of behavior makes me ashamed, and I didn't even do anything wrong. Heck, I got real nervous the first time I logged multiple finds for temporary caches under the same GC#. (But...but...that just don't sound right.) The second time I did it, I felt guilty enough to at least go and find the real cache that all the temps were being logged under.

From reading this thread, I suppose I'm not without blemish, but it was a case like Clark (W.Griswold)...at least I appreciated the irony of the situation. And I've found other folks caches again, just for giggles. I didn't sign the log (although I could have as a way a "just saying hello"), and I didn't claim a find. Just recently, I checked on a cache I had found previously, but I couldn't find it this time, so I told the CO, who confirmed that, yes, dummy, it is still there. How embarrassing. Should I log a DNF?

I hope I don't find out who #2 is, because I don't like thinking less of a person.

Ashallond
02-25-2010, 10:15 PM
P.S. Don't laugh at the idea. It's better than spending 7,200 $$$ on a couple of plastic tubes, like someone did at Paris a month or so back. :twisted: :twisted:

Hey! I resemble that remark.

I'm debating...put that tube out, or keep it locked up in a bank vault...It's worth cash money ya know....

astrodav
02-25-2010, 11:19 PM

Hey! I resemble that remark.

I'm debating...put that tube out, or keep it locked up in a bank vault...It's worth cash money ya know....

I'll give you 20 cents for it. You going to Ouachita this weekend?? :twisted: :twisted:

P.S. I'll throw in a nickle extra to help you out with the extra gas it takes to tote that big tube around. That'll make it an easy & even quarter. :lol: 8)

captaincooder
02-25-2010, 11:39 PM
Please, either post a picture of that fantastic tube, or send me a link to a new cache. I simply must experience it!

specialteacher
02-26-2010, 07:06 AM
I think I will donate a few more for this weekend. I see that these are great prizes. LOL I wonder who else might pay $7,000 for 2 of these???????????????

captaincooder
02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Please, post a pic (if that is possible). Or send me an attachment at captaincooder@yahoo.com. Forgive my impatience, but I simply must see this wonderful thing. And I've got a wad of Benjamin Franklins burning a hole in my overalls pocket!

Jffok
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I was at the table that bought the high dollar tubes. In fact I have one and I value it at $3600. I haven't found a worthy place to hide it yet.
Special Teacher gave me a couple more while we were at the Harbor Happening event. Guess I will have to get busy and get them hide.

astrodav
03-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Please, post a pic (if that is possible). Or send me an attachment at captaincooder@yahoo.com. Forgive my impatience, but I simply must see this wonderful thing. And I've got a wad of Benjamin Franklins burning a hole in my overalls pocket!

I'll post a picture in a bit for ya, if no one else beats me to it. I have some very similar to the ones which sold for mucho-$$$'s ..... but I found mine on the side of the road somewhere between Paris & Dardanelle. 8) :lol:

Ashallond
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
side of the road? 8O

You were wearing gloves and had them seriously sterilized......right?

astrodav
03-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Actually, come to think of it, no I didn't. I might need to go get tested for anthrax now. 8O

captaincooder
03-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Oh, please, please, please....I'm dying to know the "secret." I can't wait. I'm going to pee-pee in my pants! :lol:

jclaudii
03-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Picture a blood vile for taking blood specimens but bigger, plastic or is it Lexan, and way cooler!

wilddav
04-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Seeing as how Im the "n00b" here, I probably have no place in this thread (with my measly 105 finds)!
But reading this makes me very aware of things I need to pay very close attention to!

Tonight, my very first 4 hides were published (and yes, Im more excited than a fat kind in a Mc Donalds palyground), in NO way do I want to make a mistake (rules or not) in how I do things!

I would hope, that if I make a mistake in logs, or maintenance, or even hiding up and coming caches, that someone would show me the correct way of doing things!

There really is a TON of information for us new guys/gals to take in and learn!

So, Im here, asking, someone please be patient with me and help me and other newbs along! I dont mind someone taking me by the hand and leading me, but do it in a respectful way!

I know yall will, because that is the kind of community that we (most cachers anyway) have! And Im proud to be a part of this community!

Thanks for making me a little more aware!
As i am still learning the hobby also ,and i am not in it for the numbers i do it because its fun,and i get excitement out of it and a thrill of finding the bigger caches such as the ammo box's,and i am honest inside and out.I have notice that i could be way over 188 finds today if that i wanted to!But that would not be me,WE ALL HAVE have a choice to make in life good/bad.I choose good.I look at it whats in your soul ?So as i said im in it for the fun and n0t the numbers,and the next best thing about this geocaching is have your own cache's and reading thier storys, :D