PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your supplies?

TinmanJones
01-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Im not sure of the "complete" rules here on posting sites for caching supplies, so if you cant post the site URL here, please feel free to email me or PM me!

Thanks to ARKFIREMEDIC, Im very close to hiding my first cache! Hes been kind enough to stock me up on some materials for my fist hides!

But, I dont want to have to depend on him every step of the way! So, Id like a little help on the best places to get hiding supplies!

Now, Im not really talking about amo boxes, or pill bottles (although, If there is a place in LA (lower arkansas) I can get those things for little to no money, then by all means, let me know where those places are!) But, Im mostly talking about "official geocache" stickers, personalized stickers, unique cache containers, lock and lock containers, magnetics, etc!

Where do you get your goods, for the best price?
Ive googled, but just like picking out a GPSr, theres tons of choices and prices!

Maybe someone here on the site, or in Arkansas is in the "supplying" business! Id feel better about supporting someone "close to home" for caching supplies, than sending money to someone out of state or country!

Any and all help will be much appreciated!
Thanks!

scoutfrog
01-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Well, I'm actually in Chattanooga, Tn, but I'll throw out where and how I get some of my stuff. My magnets I get from Hobby Lobby. I use J B Weld to stick them to the containers. I get camo duct tape from Wal-Mart. I use the duct tape to cover containers like peanut butter jars, mayo jars, and the containers that pasta chessee comes in. I also get larger jars from pretzalls and pickles.

I get a lot of my ammo cans from a local surplus store. I get the dented ones,(1/2 price) and beat the dents out of them. I use camo paint(black, tan, olive & brown) that I get from Home Depot to paint them.

You can get some good deals off e-bay too if you just wait and look for a deal.

TinmanJones
01-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Well, I'm actually in Chattanooga, Tn, but I'll throw out where and how I get some of my stuff. My magnets I get from Hobby Lobby. I use J B Weld to stick them to the containers. I get camo duct tape from Wal-Mart. I use the duct tape to cover containers like peanut butter jars, mayo jars, and the containers that pasta chessee comes in. I also get larger jars from pretzalls and pickles.

I get a lot of my ammo cans from a local surplus store. I get the dented ones,(1/2 price) and beat the dents out of them. I use camo paint(black, tan, olive & brown) that I get from Home Depot to paint them.

You can get some good deals off e-bay too if you just wait and look for a deal.

Thank you scoutfrog! It never crossed my mind to use those jars you mentioned! I like those ideas! Thanks again!

arkfiremedic
01-31-2010, 11:03 PM
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1367 for the most versatile, water-proof container available (of course only in my opinion).

I have requested my local Walgreens store to save film containers and they have.

I have bought magnetic NANO caches off of eBay.

I have also bought magnetic NANO caches from http://www.crazycaches.com/nano-caches-c-17.html and received good service here.

Should be a complete list to at least get you started.

If you want to shop locally and make your own there are many watertight containers and Neodymium (Rare Earth) magnets available at Hobby Lobby stores.

Locally El Dorado Pawn is the only outlet for ammo boxes.

Lock-n-locks and Pelican boxes are available at Wal-Mart.

Other unique items can be purchase through the store at geocaching.com and had good experiences shopping here as well.

Hope this answers your questions.

NOTE: Watch out though, placing them can be as addicting as finding them, especially when you get caught up in reading the great logs from certain geocachers.

cfd29
02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
You can get lock and locks at Sams sometimes, they have a variety pack of a lot of different sizes, for a variety of different size caches, you can spray paint them with the dull cammo paint and they work good..

TinmanJones
02-02-2010, 06:36 AM
thank all of you! this is great info that any newbie can use!

AR-HICK
02-20-2010, 10:09 PM
I didn't feel like starting a new thread or finding a old one. This does fit in with the thread anyway.

I just found De-Con Containers for $1.50 in Greenbrier at Pools Army Surplus. If you can't make it up there send me a email and I may be able to pick some up for you.
I may Charge $27.00 for delivery depending on how far and how many :lol:

This is NOT SPAM, spam is a form of canned meat that I keep for emergencies!

astrodav
02-20-2010, 11:45 PM
If you are coming to the Lake Ouachita event next weekend, & if you go to GreenTown before then, please pick me up about 15 of them, if they have that many. If not, then just how ever many they have, after you take yours from them.

That is one type of canister that I have never used, for the reason that they are usually 5 bucks or so. That's too much in my opinion, for what you are getting, although they are good caches. But 1.50 is dirt cheap.

If you aren't coming to Lake Ouachita, then don't worry about it. I have a VA appt in NLR early next month & might run up there to do a bit of caching & see if they have any left by then. Thanks.

P.S. Also too, if they have ammo cans ... don't care what size .... for 5 bucks or so, then get me 4 of them. Believe-it-or-not, there isn't an Army Surplus in Pope or Yell county anywhere any more ... at lest not that I'm aware of. Every can I have is ready for a cache, so I need a few in reserve, just in case.

pshelto
02-21-2010, 02:02 PM
What about good swag? I am looking for someone who sells bulk camping supplies (toilet paper to-go, bison tubes, waterproof matches, compasses, etc). I know most outdoor places sell them, but I feel like $2-3 is too much for the bison tubes.