PDA

View Full Version : Okay,here we go eith my first question.

arkansasboy
12-21-2009, 08:08 PM
I have read some posts here indicating how addictive this sport is. why is it so addictive? Is it the thrill of the hunt,the challenge and subsequently finding the cache?

I also notice how people hiding a cache seem to put alot of thought into where the cache is to be placed. It seems to me that this sport could get quite invovled where you are limited mostly by your imagination.

arkfiremedic
12-21-2009, 09:22 PM
The answer is it is addicting due to all of the above.

Actually your cache placement are restricted by tons of rules you must adhere to at geocaching.com. Can't be too close to railroad tracks, can't be closer than 528 feet (1/10 mile) to another cache, Can't sit in the access ramp to a controlled access highway, can't be named after something that may be considered advertising... and the list goes on and on. These are just a few I've been nailed on.

HikerRon
12-22-2009, 09:02 PM
rules! darn. I thought i had found a perfect cache location....right under that highway bridge next to the railroad tracks. I was gonna put a magnetic PVC pipe container on the pipeline that runs under there. But i guess not, since the highway is on a military base:)

just kidding of course.

but your question about the addiction is an interesting one. I took a few moments to think about it before i answered.

when i woke back up, i couldnt remember what i was thinking about:)

There are many 'addicting' things about this sport. I guess for me, the biggest one would be, as you mentioned, the thrill of the hint. uh, HUNT i mean:)

jclaudii
12-23-2009, 09:45 AM
For us, its usually the places the caches takes us. Were not talking about some half a dozen or so hidden in parking lot skirts, no were talking about the ones you have to hike too, swim too, 4x4 too, etc. A cache that takes us somewhere off of the normal path so we can see something few don't see. That is it for us.

arkansasboy
12-23-2009, 02:18 PM
For us, its usually the places the caches takes us. Were not talking about some half a dozen or so hidden in parking lot skirts, no were talking about the ones you have to hike too, swim too, 4x4 too, etc. A cache that takes us somewhere off of the normal path so we can see something few don't see. That is it for us.
You may actually have to swim to a cache? That is dedication! Sounds fun though.

grzz51
12-23-2009, 06:22 PM
LOL During Mz Grzz and my Arkansas State ParkCache adventures in '08 a fellow cacher actually swam across a portion of Lake Greeson at Daisy State Park to avoid a very long and nasty hike to the cache. I met him just after he completed his return from GZ. The cache has since been made more cacher friendly. :lol:

edieo
12-25-2009, 07:53 AM
For me it's the Thrill of the Hunt I love a cache I can hike to,,As Hiking is my first love ,,I also like to take photos so photos ops are a big plus ..I also get a lot enjoyment out of placing caches and reading the log on them ,knowing I helped to make some one happy with a smiley.. :lol: