PDA

View Full Version : Learning Pocket Queries and Garmin 60CSx...

TinmanJones
12-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Im seeking a little help here from anyone that uses the Garmin 60CSx...

ok... ive got GSAK loaded and my 500 pocket queries onto GSAK...

ive sent all of them to my Garmin 60CSx, but can only see 50 of them on the "geocaching" screen...

is there a setting somewhere that im missing, that will list all of them, or is 50 all i can show at one time???

thanks for any help...

gingerose
12-18-2009, 10:04 AM
If you loaded all of them they are there. You just see the 50 that are closest to your location.

If you are looking for one that is not on the closest cache list, you can search by typing in the name. (Hopefully, that made since.)

Gingerose

jclaudii
12-18-2009, 10:27 AM
hit menu on the map screen and see if declutter is turned on or off. we use a 60C and it will show all of them on the map I believe.

TinmanJones
12-18-2009, 11:10 AM
thank yall for helpin clear that up for me

now, how do I get it to display the GC code instead of the GC name...

I want to see the code (GC1YBQ) in stead of BayouCache (these are just examples, not actual caches) on my 60CSx screen...

arkfiremedic
12-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Just curious why you would want to see the GC # and not the cache name? When I log "finds" I do them in order based on the map and my driving route. I do not look them each up individually by #. You can save a lot of steps by just hovering over the cache and clicking once to bring up the information and clicking log cache from that particular page. Saves a bunch of time especially on those busy cachin' weekends where you find 100+. Just wondering.

TinmanJones
12-18-2009, 12:20 PM
my thought is, if I have the code, it makes it easy to look up the cache at GZ (on my phn) if I need to look at hints & past log entries... I can't easily look up the cache name on GC.com...

arkfiremedic
12-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Just curious. I have never done it that particular way, so I can't elaborate on if it works or not.

BTW- allenearl just beat you to the FTF on the new Aboretum cache. I figured you woulda went for that one when/if you got a chance.

TinmanJones
12-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Just curious. I have never done it that particular way, so I can't elaborate on if it works or not.

BTW- allenearl just beat you to the FTF on the new Aboretum cache. I figured you woulda went for that one when/if you got a chance.

the Arboretum wasn't open at 6am when I went to work, & ummm, I'm still at work! therefore I loose!!! :-D

Woodwalker9
12-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Tinman, the cache name or GC code is put on the map by using tags.

From GSAK, go to GPS and click on Send Waypoints. When the Send Waypoints to GPS window pops up, go down to Waypoint Name and enter %code in the box. That will put the GC code on the map instead of the cache name.

Hope that helps.

TinmanJones
12-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Tinman, the cache name or GC code is put on the map by using tags.

From GSAK, go to GPS and click on Send Waypoints. When the Send Waypoints to GPS window pops up, go down to Waypoint Name and enter %code in the box. That will put the GC code on the map instead of the cache name.

Hope that helps.

I've tried that, didn't seem to work...

Woodwalker9
12-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Tinman, I'm not sure why that didn't work. I just tried it one my 60CSx and it worked fine. Do you have the Use Default box UNCHECKED?

TinmanJones
12-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Tinman, I'm not sure why that didn't work. I just tried it one my 60CSx and it worked fine. Do you have the Use Default box UNCHECKED?

yes sir... I did those steps lastnight probably 4 times, after reading those instructions in the FAQ, & it still shows the cache name...

TinmanJones
12-18-2009, 06:22 PM
im wondering, if i were to delete all the caches in GSAK, and redo the PQ and resend the updated PQ to GSAK, then put the "%code" in, BEFORE i sent the GC to the 60CSx, if theyd show up as code instead of names?

or should it just change whats already on the 60CSx?

Woodwalker9
12-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Try deleting all waypoints out of the GPSr before sending PQ from GSAK with %code. It really should work.

RGS
12-18-2009, 07:37 PM
thank yall for helpin clear that up for me

now, how do I get it to display the GC code instead of the GC name...

I always use the GC # too. Here is what I have for the waypoint name:
%drop2 %con1%typ1 %dif1a %ter1a %children %drop2%c_Prefix %c_type=1

The drop2 drops the "GC" from the code, Con1 andTyp1 display the container size and type of cache as 1 character, and the dif1a and ter1a display the difficulty and terrain as 1 character. So a diff of 1 would display 1, and a diff of 1.5 would display as A, 2 would be a 2, 2.5 a B, etc. For Maximum characters, use 14.

In Waypoint description I use:
%smart=08-%hint

smart=08 creates a smartname of 8 characters and hint will display the decoded hint.

This is what I use for my Legend HCx and will work for the 60CSx too. This allows the GPS to display gc #, diff, terr, container and cache type all in the waypoint field.

The 2nd example will display the shortname and hint in the description field, so you have all the basic info you need for any cache you load.

RGS - St. Louis

Spice
12-18-2009, 10:42 PM
What a great thread! I am a HUGE fan of GSAK and if I ever knew how to use it to it fullest potential there is no telling what I would learn that it can do.

Here is how I have my GSAK set up under the Send Waypoints and on the Waypoints Name: %ShortName %drop2

I can sometimes relate to a cache by it's name, but I also use Firefox for my web browser and I use the Greasemonkey macros that allows every page of Geocaching.com to have a box to enter the GC# to go straight to a cache listing. It helps me to log them online fast.

The "%drop2 gives me the GC# without the "GC" since all waypoints begin with those two letters.

I use to always use cache names, but more and more I use the GC#.

Just my 2cents to a great thread.

jclaudii
12-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Well Gosh, you had me go and look up how I did it on my 60C.

I would start by deleting all the caches out of your GPSr. Then I would use whatever database you want cause it does not format it on the way in, only on the way out of the program and into the GPSr.

Here is the way I got it into our 60c, Go to waypoints a choose "send waypoints to GPS" and in the "waypoint name we have %code. Also, in the "waypoint description format (comments)" we have (%Dif1/%con1) %name. That will put the geocode on the screen and put the difficulty, containter type and the name of who placed it on the description. That is allt he room our gps has for. We use a PDA with cachemate on it to do the "paperless" geocaching. I want to say cachemate will work with certain smartphones as well.

OldRiverRunner
12-22-2009, 08:25 AM
This thread (http://www.arkgeocaching.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=989&sid=7b480005b7d41b42f846a6c37eece759) from 2007 provided some good information (with GSAK screen shots) on how to set up your cache names for transmittal to your GPSr. I personally don't use this method (although I have tried it), but many really, really like it.