PDA

View Full Version : Delta Heritage Trail - Caches wanted!

ArkGeo_Board
10-23-2009, 10:46 PM
The following is from an email that ArkGeo received from Kim Hanson, aka Netinator. She would like to get Arkansas cachers involved.

This is a great opportunity for members of the Arkansas Geocachers Association to place some of their signature caches in another part of the state to share with all those that will visit this area.

There are several of us that have combined forces to sponsor a power trail or saturated area on the Arkansas State Park Delta Heritage Bike Trail, with permission from the Arkansas State Parks.

The Delta Heritage Trail State Park is a rails-to-trails conversion in southeast Arkansas that is being developed in phases along the 73-mile former Union Pacific Railroad right-of-way that stretches from one mile south of Lexa (six miles west of Helena) to Cypress Bend (five miles northeast of McGehee), the former route of The Delta Eagle.

The first 14 miles of trail have been completed from Helena junction to the Lakeview community and just across from Old Town Lake. Trailheads are located at Helena junction near Barton, Walnut Corner at the U.S. 49 overpass, Lick Creek (Ark. 85 just south of Barton), and in Lakeview. The Park has one cache on the trail (GC1CFCJ) and there is one at mile 13 near the end (GC18PDK).

We are soliciting geocaches from around multiple states which will highlight
an individual cachers strength. We like to think of it as a buffet of
caches where a visitor can sample some of the best the states have to
offer in one spot, in other words we are asking them to place their
SIGNATURE cache on the trail and we will take care of all maintenance
and problems that may arise due to the distance requirements of
Geocaching.com. We have come up with three options for handling the
administrative end of it:

Option1: The first option would be to jump in the cachemobile and head
for The Delta Heritage Trail with your favorite cache safely stowed away. Stake out an area on the Trail which will be guaranteed to take your breath
away. If you are out of range then use one of the many volunteers to
take care of the cache and have it published and become part of the Taste of Arkansas geocaching style.

Option2: The second option would be to put one of your signature
caches together, box it up and send it to one of us. We will find a
really special place to hide it and then send you the coordinates so you
can put your personal touches on the web page and still own the rights
to the cache.

Option3: The next option would be to get your cache together and send
it to one of us and we will do the rest of the work, including getting
it published. The nice thing about this option is that you will be able
to come over here, enjoy the power trail, and get a smiley for finding
your own cache. We would put your name on the cache but the credit would
go to one of us.

The Arkansas State Parks has granted permission for this project and will grant us ONE State Permit for all the caches along the trail

If you see any potential problems please contact me to work out a
resolution. Thanks for all you do to support the Geocaching community
and we look forward to placing Chuck Walla’s first cache for all the work he will have to do to help us out.

Please contact Netinator@aol.com Box up a signature cache with your name, address, caching name, and phone number attached to it, with instructions and preferences of placement.

Send all caches to

Kim Hanson – Netinator

2121 Germantown Rd So Suite 4

Germantown, Tennessee 38138

901-550-2345 Cell

901-523-3808 Home

AR-HICK
10-25-2009, 07:28 PM
I plan on helping out with this and may give two of my caches to this project.

How about Anyone else?
I know that other cachers can get creative and show their stuff (caches) off!

PM me with suggestions for me to send.

Woodwalker9
10-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Hey Mike, I'm going to contribute a cache or two myself. ArkGeo members are some of the best cachers in the state and I'm hoping to see lots of ArkGeo member caches along this nice trail.

Anyone else?

mountainborn
10-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Cool trail, Betty & I have visited a small part of it. A worthwhile project.

bluesybreeze
10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
This sounds great! However what if you don't have a "signature" yet? I would like to participate. I have a cache that is ready to go that might work. What option are you guys thinking about as far as getting them down there?

cachemates
10-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Like bluesybreeze I don't have a signature cache either but I plan on sending something. I guess I could send a ammo can with my signature all over it. Would that make a signature cache?

arkfiremedic
10-25-2009, 08:47 PM
I've seen some cachemates signature caches. I don't think with your creative and artistic construction talents you would have any trouble. I too would love to have a cache on the trail and I know 2ter would too!

Ashallond
10-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I'll send something...or two. I don't have anything signature yet, but at least I'll participate.

MathSeeker
10-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Count me in. This sounds like a great opportunity. I will come up with a cache for this and go to find all the rest. Sounds like a road trip to me.

QuartzCachers
10-29-2009, 05:57 AM
A cache hiding event maybe? I have already gotten a couple of caches ready for this project. I spoke with Kim at the Smackover event about it, and I think it is a great idea!

arkfiremedic
10-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Making an event out of it is a fantastic idea! I hadn't thought about that but you could get 2 smileys for the price of one!

SJClimber
10-29-2009, 10:54 AM
This is a great trail and potential project. I'm game to reconnoiter for potential hiding spots before an event. Bring the bike and travel the established 14 miles for potential cache placement.

bluesybreeze
10-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Ark Geo Cachers are totally AWESOME! What started out as a request for some donated caches to be sent to a location, has turned into an all out event! I am so proud to be counted as a member of this group of truly amazing people :D

YOU GUYS ROCK!

edieo
10-30-2009, 03:16 AM
You guy are awesome count me in :!: :!:

AR-HICK
11-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I just completed my first cache for this series. Has anyone else started?

bluesybreeze
11-10-2009, 12:13 PM
I think so :?: Do we need guidelines or themes or whatever for the caches that go here? I have been working on an idea for a cache before this thread got started and thought it would work out here. Any idea of when we will get together and put the caches out? I will help if we decide to make an event out of it.

cachemates
11-10-2009, 06:57 PM
I haven't had much time lately but maybe next week I will.

likestocanoe
02-08-2010, 09:50 PM
AR Hick,
Thank you for the link .... Our general reaction was, " YOU BET!". You have started and we just got on board, so do you have a time line?

We don't really have a signature cache, so where do we go from there? Suggestions appreciated?

captaincooder
02-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Like L2C, I'm new to this thread too, and I surely wouldn't mind contributing a cache container and attending an event to place it, and then spend an extra day hanging around just to find all of them!

Netinator...ball's in your court! Any thoughts?

likestocanoe
02-09-2010, 12:57 PM
A cache is no problem. L2C1 has caches already ready and planted and had to pull them and bring them home. A day spent with fellow cachers - it doesn't get any better....!

grzz51
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
When are all you guys (and Foxes) gonna get these caches planted? The Mz and I are needing a bunch of FTF's to get us out of the winter duldrums :P BTW, we only live 4 miles from the trail 8)

likestocanoe
02-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Oh, anybody that lives within 5 miles can't claim any of the caches, didn't you know that? LOL {:o)

grzz51
02-09-2010, 10:15 PM
HMMmmmmmmmm I thought it was 30 yards..... :?

astrodav
02-10-2010, 01:19 AM
The promised 13 of my Dav's Dirty Dozen Devious Devices haven't all been planted yet. That's probaly as close as I could get to a "signature cache" at this time. They are all different, but those who have found them have mostly highly enjoyed them. I have about 4-5 already made up,just waiting for me to get over my winter-laziness & get them set out.

I'll pick one of the "medium" difficulty ones, one which I think that might be most unique, and get it there by one of the options. I also haven't yet saw any of the exact same Cryo-Tubes which QC & I used to make the Old Hwy 10 Trail. I'll send one of those along also. A couple of cachers on that trail mentioned that the "pink & purple" camo was cute, so I'll fix it up just like that.

P.S. That was SUPPOSE to be "grey & brown" camo, but evidently one of my color cartridges in the printer went ballistic when I made those labels. :roll: :oops: