PDA

View Full Version : GPS Search Help

LongDogs
10-20-2004, 09:05 PM
I don't know anything more about this than the following, but I wanted to go ahead pass it along without delay...

My name is Mark Phillips from SS Recovery Service LLC out of Arizona. I am looking for some help in the Ark-Mo-Tenn-Miss-OK area recovering balloon launched communication devices that fly at up to 100,000 ft.

They are tracked with gps and after flight, are detached from the balloon and fall back to earth via a parachute.(big(6 ft dia) and ORANGE easy to see)

I can provide gps position data accurate to up to 5 decimal places.

To learn more about this project go to www.skysite.com (http://www.skysite.com) (me) and www.spacedata.net (http://www.spacedata.net) (my client) I provide recovery services for Space Data.

I currently have a 8 units SOG(SkySite On Ground) in Ark & MO. You can go to www.skysite.com (http://www.skysite.com) and click on the State of Interest and see the approx loactions of those units. These approx coord's are isted below.

Arkansas
Flight # Longitude Latitude Status
1044 33.9 -93.7 SOG
1047 34.0 -94.4 SOG
3032 36.2 -93.2 SOG
3033 36.4 -92.4 SOG
3034 36.4 -93.2 SOG
3035 35.6 -92.8 SOG
Missouri
3030 36.7 -93.3 SOG
3031 36.6 -93.3 SOG

I need to find people who can use a gps to help in the recovery efforts. I am paying a bounty of between $25 - $50 for each unit recovered. Some units might have a higher bounty on them.

I currently have geocachers signed up in Arizona(home base) TX, OK, LA. I need people in Ark, Mo, Tenn & Miss.

To see some reports on the first recovery's in Texas, check out the Texas Geocaching Associaton website forum thread here
http://www.texasgeocaching.com/forum/to ... IC_ID=2142 (http://www.texasgeocaching.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2142)

Any help you can provide would be welcome.

I will also post to some of the others on this list looking for support in this effort.

Respectfully

Mark Phillips
ssinfo@skysite.com
www.skysite.com (http://www.skysite.com)

SkySite
10-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Long Dogs

Thanks you for posting this from the other forum.

To All:
Please check out both the www.skysite.com (http://www.skysite.com) website and the link above to the Texas website that just started recoverys today.

If anyone has any question, please post here of via the email address.

BTW, just to clarify, the coordinates are in decmial coordinates, so a complete coordinate might look like 45.92341 -91.74357

1044 _____33.9___-93.7 SOG
1047 _____34.0 ___- 94.4 SOG
3032 _____36.2 ___-93.2 SOG
3033 _____36.4____-92.4 SOG
3034 _____36.4____-93.2 SOG
3035______35.6____-92.8 SOG

Missouri
3030_____36.7____-93.3 SOG
3031_____36.6____-93.3 SOG

Also, here is a GREAT link for your searching, it will give you several maps(streat level, topo and Sat photos wiht marker) It hase proved to be very helpful to others searching for Skysites.

One other adjustment you will have to make when searching, dont look for a "camo'd" hide. As you can see by the pics on the www.skysite.com (http://www.skysite.com) site of the TXGA site, its aobut 24 inches long and 10 inches square. It has a BIG 6 ft dia International Orange Parachute so it easy to spot.

Here is a picture that mudfrog in Texas took today.
http://www.skysite.com/sogfromsourlakess.jpg

GEO
10-20-2004, 11:35 PM
Somebody is ahead of me.

Quote from my group.

My name is Mark Phillips from SS Recovery Service LLC out of
Arizona. I am looking for some help in the Ark-Mo-Tenn-Miss-OK area
recovering balloon launched communication devices that fly at up to
100,000 ft.

They are tracked with gps and after flight, are detached from the
balloon and fall back to earth via a parachute.(big(6 ft dia) and
ORANGE easy to see)

I can provide gps position data accurate to up to 5 decimal places.

To learn more about this project go to www.skysite.com (http://www.skysite.com) (me) and
www.spacedata.net (http://www.spacedata.net) (my client) I provide recovery services for
Space Data.

I currently have a 8 units SOG(SkySite On Ground) in Ark & MO. You
can go to www.skysite.com (http://www.skysite.com) and click on the State of Interest and see
the approx loactions of those units. These approx coord's are isted
below.

Arkansas
1044 33.9 -93.7 SOG
1047 34.0 -94.4 SOG
3032 36.2 -93.2 SOG
3033 36.4 -92.4 SOG
3034 36.4 -93.2 SOG
3035 35.6 -92.8 SOG
Missouri
3030 36.7 -93.3 SOG
3031 36.6 -93.3 SOG

I need to find people who can use a gps to help in the recovery
efforts. I am paying a bounty of between $25 - $50 for each unit
recovered. Some units might have a higher bounty on them.

I currently have geocachers signed up in Arizona(home base) TX, OK,
LA. I need people in Ark, Mo, Tenn & Miss.

To see some reports on the first recovery's in Texas, check out the
Texas Geocaching Associaton website forum thread here
http://www.texasgeocaching.com/forum/to ... IC_ID=2142 (http://www.texasgeocaching.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2142)

Any help you can provide would be welcome.

I will also post to some of the others on this list looking for
support in this effort.

REspectfully

Mark Phillips
ssinfo@skysite.com
www.skysite.com (http://www.skysite.com)

LongDogs
10-20-2004, 11:47 PM
One very important point. :!:

If you go after one of these, be aware that they may be on private property, and the land owner will not likely be aware that it is even there. 8O

Be sure you get permission from the land owner before entering private property to look for one of these.

SkySite
10-20-2004, 11:57 PM
LD

You are so correct.

In Texas, that is the hardest part of the recovery, getting access to the land. The Rules of Conduct post on the www.skysite.com (http://www.skysite.com) site talks all about this. It is one of the documents tha thas to be signed before participating.

The good thing is, that once the land owner has been contacted and they are told why access to their land is needed, they have been very helpful is granting access to the "agents" in the field.

Sometimes it takes a few days to find out who the land owner is. but we have not been denied access yet(he says with fingers crossed ;) )

In Arizona on the other hand, the hard part is that we have a ton of BLM/state owned land that is open range and can be access by anyone.

We had unit that an agent has parked within 1.7 "map miles" from the unit, but the round trip from the truck took 5 hours, because it was near the top of a 9500 foot peak. Besides the bush wacking, trying to suck oxygen out of that thin air can be a challange ;)

GEO
10-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Very good point LD.

From their site.
RULES OF CONDUCT
FOR PARTICIPANTS
IN
SS RECOVERY SERVICE LLC
SKYSITE RECOVERY PROGRAM

This document is a general guideline as to common sense rules to abide by when conducting not only SkySite recoveries for SSRS, but for any outdoor activities. This list is not meant to be exclusive in its coverage, but to be used as a general guideline.

SkySite recovery is a NON IMPACT, Leave No Trace , Eco-friendly process!

The SkySite Recovery Program, like other outdoor activities, involve some level of risk, to yourself, others and to property. You are responsible for determining if you wish to accept that risk and therefore are also responsible in making the necessary judgments to determine if you are skilled and able, are in good physical condition and have all the necessary information, including, but not limited to, weather conditions, gear and supplies, to safely participate in the recovery of any SkySite.

1. Never put yourself in any dangerous or life threatening situation for SSRS and or the recovery of a SkySite.

2. Always stay within your comfort, skill and ability level when doing any SkySite recovery. Whether you are driving, hiking or just walking, always stay within your abilities and skill level.

If a SkySite is in a location where you, or your companions, are put in danger or “harms way” or could be injured or someone else could be injured, by attempting to recover a SkySite, you should not attempt that recovery.

You are responsible for using good judgment and common sense in your SkySite Recovery Program efforts. SSRS, is in no way, responsible for your actions or judgment or lack there of, when undertaking the recovery of a SkySite.

3. NEVER enter, cross or venture upon private property or areas closed to access by the general public, including State, Federal, Military or Indian Reservations, to search for and/or recover a SkySite. You must obtain verbal/written permission from the “private entity” before proceeding to attempt to recover any SkySite on such private sites.

If you cannot obtain, written/verbal permission prior to entering such private area, property or lands, you should contact SSRS, who will then attempt to obtain permission for SSRS authorized participants to enter that private area.

It may take SSRS an undetermined amount of time to obtain entry permission for access to such areas. There is no guaranty that SSRS will obtain permission for entry to such areas. In that case, the SkySite will be deemed un-recoverable by SSRS. No fees will be paid for any of these “unrecoverable SkySites”.

4. Never disturb, alter or destroy any plants, vegetation, animals, natural or manmade objects, native or cultural artifacts, in an attempt to recover a SkySite.

5. Pack IN-Trash OUT. Pack out all trash or garbage.

6. Obey all traffic signs and traffic laws. State traffic laws apply to the National Forests, unless otherwise specified. When operating vehicles of any kind, do not damage the land or vegetation or disturb wildlife. Avoid driving on unpaved roads or trails when they are wet or muddy. Do not block, restrict or interfere with the use of roads or trails. Obey area and trail restrictions on use of trail bikes and other off road vehicles.
This list in not meant to be inclusive and other common sense rules may apply. This list is meant to provide general guidelines to observe when in the outdoors, whether recovering a SkySite or during your normal outings.

SkySite
10-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Anybody game for these this weekend? I am trying to get a commitment on these bacause Space Data has a currier in the area that is going up here(N Ark) to pickup a unit found by a third party and they were going to try and find these this weekend.

Thats mean, if I dont, they will. If I tell them I have people going after these, I can hold them off of these units.

Any takers?

Does this sound desperate? If it does you are right ;)

cachecrazies
10-21-2004, 10:26 AM
We're definately interested in looking for these - but we haven't gotten the information (on the website) mailed to you yet.

It sounds like several are very nearby!

LongDogs
10-21-2004, 10:50 AM
Anybody game for these this weekend? I am trying to get a commitment on these bacause Space Data has a currier in the area that is going up here(N Ark) to pickup a unit found by a third party and they were going to try and find these this weekend.

Thats mean, if I dont, they will. If I tell them I have people going after these, I can hold them off of these units.

Any takers?

Does this sound desperate? If it does you are right ;)
I think the issue is with getting the agreement printed, signed, and mailed back to you via snail mail. Perhaps with fax or if we could work out a verbal (or e-mail) agreement, several of us could look, but I'm not sure it would get there by this weekend otherwise.

SkySite
10-21-2004, 11:19 AM
I dont have a fax, but a scanned first and last page of the ICA and the ROC, emailed will do the trick as long as it is followed up via snail mail with the hard copy.

Sorry about the fax thing but when your spending $50/mo on ink/toner because of junk spam faxes, it was time to retire it.

southdeltan
10-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Email " admin @ msga.net " if you're looking to spread the word to MS Geocachers.

southdeltan
MSGA Webmaster

SkySite
10-21-2004, 04:39 PM
southdeltan

Thanks for the heads up. I will email you later tonight with the sotry posted on the forum here.

cachecrazies
10-23-2004, 11:42 AM
:D WHOO HOOO! We recovered Flight #3033 this morning in Arkansas - what fun!

Mark Phillips has already posted the find on the www.skysite.com (http://www.skysite.com)
page. These things are definately out there - and the real thing! The
item is quite impressive to see and very official looking.

And Mark is great to work with. If any of you have a chance to find one, go for it - it's quite a thrill!

The landowners were great to deal with and they were almost as excited as we were to find out that something like this was on their property. We asked if they were familiar with geocaching and they were as they had seen the article in the Baxter Bulletin (our local paper). They're intriqued with the entire concept and today only helped! We all took pictures after the find and had a nice visit. What a great opportunity! This was even more fun than finding an ammo can under a pile of rocks and sticks!

cachecrazies
10-24-2004, 05:27 PM
Geocachers really came through on this one!

4 of the SOG's were found today by tmac and one yesterday by geo_ferrets! I think that's all that are in our immediate vicinity - there's more in MS. and southern AR. If they're still out there, we'd encourage anyone to go find them!

Let's face it - the "bounty" is totally beside the point. We personally don't care a bit about it. The great fun was going to look for something new - just the "hunt". We all know what that's about! And this was a totally new experience!

Thanks Mark for asking us to join in!

Phantom_491
10-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Geocachers really came through on this one!

4 of the SOG's were found today by tmac and one yesterday by geo_ferrets! I think that's all that are in our immediate vicinity - there's more in MS. and southern AR. If they're still out there, we'd encourage anyone to go find them!

Let's face it - the "bounty" is totally beside the point. We personally don't care a bit about it. The great fun was going to look for something new - just the "hunt". We all know what that's about! And this was a totally new experience!

Thanks Mark for asking us to join in!

Add two more to the count!! I found the ones close to Nashville, and DeQueen. I just haven't gotten around to letting Mark know, yet!

Phantom_491
10-24-2004, 10:37 PM
Left Jacksonville around 11AM for a (Ahem) quick trip to Nashville, and DeQueen to recover the 2 SOGs out there (1044, and 1047 respectively). 10 hours, 400+ miles, 2 States, and 2 recovered SOGs later I finally make it back.

1044 was easy enough even though it was found in a pond. I didn't make contact with the land-owner, but I did get permission from his neighbor. As I topped the spillway, I spotted it, in the water. Luckily it was only a foot or so in and I have long arms!.

1047 was a whole different matter. I pulled up as a couple was leaving the house, the girl told me to talk to her Mom, who was in the house. I knocked and introduced myself, told her what I was doing, she asked how I planned to get back to it, I told her hike. It was approvimately .3 miles from the house. I started to bush-wack through the woods, when I got stopped by a briarpatch as thick and wide as a house. I quickly decided that that wasn't the way to go, so I turned around and found another path to a barbed-wire fence. I tested it and sure enough it would hold my weight, so I climbed over it. This put me in a cow pasture, complete with cow-pies. I quickly made it to the location and retrieved 1047.

The trip home took me to the extreme NE edge of Tx as I took Hwy 59 to catch I-30 back home.

The coordinates were right on. and the satellite photos were a great help in convincing the land-owners of the area, and also cut the search time down greatly!

Of course the reward isn't the reason I did this, Helping out the scientific community by utilizing my Geo-Skills that geocaching has helped hone is my reward! I can't wait until the next time!

SkySite
10-24-2004, 10:50 PM
I just haven't gotten around to letting Mark know, yet!
Phantom_491

He just found out! ;)

I have got to say without a doubt, that this group has excelled and performed beyond my wildest dreams! You have grabbed 8 out of 9 in two states, just from this one group, over one weekend. I have a great picture of number 9(3037ss) that's way up in a tree. Second one of these this weekend.

The one in Arizona(picture on the www.skysite.com (http://www.skysite.com) website) was retrieved on a second attempt. Art used several sections of 1.5 inch dia PVC pipe, couplings, duct tape and a hook at the end to snag it and pull it down. I just saw this "tool" today at noon and will be putting up a photo of it on the website.

You guys are the greatest! This has been the fastest and the largest recovery of SOG's in 2 states by one group in the history of SSRS. So we only have a one month history, who cares, you guys are the greatest anyway! And 4 by tmac! Thats a record.

LongDogs, thank you so much for allow me to have access to such great people.

Thank you cachecrazies, Phantom_491, geo_ferrets and tmac the SOG'in Machine!

Gaddiel
10-25-2004, 07:09 AM
You guys are good! It's good to know that we have such helpful people around here.

GEO
10-26-2004, 07:58 AM
Yep we do,

We have 2 of the top 3 in Geocaching competiton leaders here in this group.
I told ya Phantom this would pay off.
Glad to see you and the others exccell so well in this.

I am really glad to see SkySites have also excelled here too.
I am shure glad he checked out our site.

HAPPY...................SOG....................... TRAILS

SkySite
10-26-2004, 08:45 AM
GEO

Your members have been the most helpful and enthusiastic of any of the groups I have contacted. I have had individuals other groups that have taken on the challenge, but no one group has been as accepting and "aggressive" in tracking these little(well... not so little ) buggers down.

I have got to say that when I sent in the report to Space Data on Monday, they about "fell over" when I told them how many were recovered in 2 states due to one group. I have to say that they were a little skeptical about this "long distance, using unknown people / geocachers, to recover SkySites", but I lobbied hard to convince them.

I said if there was some cash involved and we could do some "special things" like the "high flyer" medallions, make a game out of it and add other promotions, that you guys(and girls) would be all over this, mainly from a pure challenge standpoint.

The list of SOGS I sent out last night via "the bone head email screw up", all but one of those units were taken via email before bed time last night.

One of the SOG's did not make the list because I personally called one of your members to offer a SOG that was about 6 miles from his home. He worked so hard at one unit that's still 50 up in a tree, that I wanted to give "the furry little(well maybe not so little 8O ) SOG agent/cacher" a shot at one near his house. Hopefully he wont have to lobby to get his wife to climb a tree this time. Just say no! ;)

Thanks to everyone for showing this desert dweller what "southern hospitality" is all about. You guys are the greatest.

SkySite
11-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Just an update, there is an article about skysite.com in Today's Cacher online magazine http://www.todayscacher.com/ .

It has a photo of the land owners where cachecrazies found their FTF SOG, as well as some other SOG'ers. I made sure I included a mention and a link to this site as well.

I would have sent a picture of Bob & Linda but they dont like each other too much and wont appear in the same photo together :twisted: Just kinding.

Thanks again for all the help you guys have given skysite.com

GEO
11-01-2004, 04:04 PM
You are welcome,thanks for taking my advice and getting over here.
If you will only drop some in up a little farther north....
the ARK-MO GEOCACHERS are waitng.

Another question?
I sent an e-mail but did not get a reciept back.
What more and where is a link to the exact hard copy you need signed and mailed to you?

Thanks
geoidchaser ARK-MO GEOCACHERS
GEO here
GEOTRAILBLAZER1 @ geocaching.com

SkySite
11-01-2004, 04:43 PM
Charles,

I am so sorry if I missed the email, but I cant remember seeing it. I walway return receipts when requsted. What day did you send it? I had the mail server go down last week for almost a whole day.

I recvd an email from you on 10/22 and I replied to that on the same day at 10:17am.

I did post a note on 10/20 on the Ark-Mo yahoo site.

The exact link to the documents are via the ICA/ROC on the web site in the lefthand nav bar or directly from these links:
ICA
http://www.skysite.com/SSRS%20ICA%20final100804.DOC
ROC
http://www.skysite.com/Rules%20Of%20Conduct01.doc

GEO
11-02-2004, 09:14 AM
Thank you.
I will get it out in the mail today after I vote.

cachecrazies
11-02-2004, 06:01 PM
:twisted: Didn't know that you picked up on our secret, Mark! LOL! We only tolerate each other so that we can go caching!

We're looking forward to doing this again. Thanks for giving us this experience!

GEO
11-02-2004, 07:15 PM
GOT IT OUT TODAY,FILLED OUT BOTH FORMS AND SENT THEM TO YOU.
THANKS AGAIN.