PDA

View Full Version : Geocache Tour at Prairie Grove Battlefield SP

OldRiverRunner
08-23-2009, 07:24 PM
I was checking on some information about events at our wonderful Arkansas State Parks and noticed this virtual geocaching tour (http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things-to-do/calendar-events/detail.aspx?id=34373) of the battlefield park. It looks very interesting and I was wondering if anyone had done it?

Also, here's the link to the State Parks Calendar of Events (http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things-to-do/calendar-events/), which is pretty handy to have. There is so much going on!

Ashallond
08-23-2009, 07:53 PM
I've done the ParkCache, and I walked the park when I was back in college, but I hadn't done the combo of them both.

Would be neat actually. Actually, they should make it into a whereigo cache.

Geezer_Veazey
08-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Around 2004 or 2005 they had a multi-cache with around 15 legs and an ammo can at the end, which I completed. Each leg of the multi took you to a historical point of interest in the park where you could see exhibits and you also had to search for a dogtag with engraved coordinates for the next leg. I'm wondering if it is the same points with the final ammo can removed and they are calling it a virtual tour. I enjoyed it very much when I went.

Clark~Griswold
08-25-2009, 05:47 PM
We did the cache Geezer is refering to a couple of years ago. It's a great park and I recommed checking it out. I think it would be great in the fall when the leaves turn color.

Ceeker7
08-26-2009, 07:24 PM
I did the tour last year. It was a pretty neat way to learn history. It takes a while to complete the tour and it's best to do it in cooler weather. There was not a container at the end. Disappointing, because I wanted a prize at the end. You can get a certificate of completion from the park.

redink
08-26-2009, 08:12 PM
There is a container at the end, but no longer an ammo can.

Prairie Grove is my hometown and I sometimes drop trackables
in the final stage. The tour still hits all the highlighted area of the park.
It takes about 2-3 hours to complete. I did the cache in December
when they have the reenactmant of the battle, well worth the trip.

I will say the final is somewhat tricky, one of the best hides that I've
seen by the park caches I found so far, bring a flathead screwdriver.