PDA

View Full Version : Oklaoma Event

rklmbl
07-19-2009, 06:19 AM
We have always appreciated the efforts of people who host or assist in hosting an event. And we know from experience how much work is involved. An event was attempted in Northeast Oklahoma this past week/weekend. We were very disappointed at this event because of lack of planning and organization and the location. Several geofriends paid money for merchandise (t-shirts/geocoins/lanyards) that was promised and never delivered at this event. We even had some phone calls with the event owner at the time we registered and paid our money, but very few of the promised activities actually happened. There was no food or drink service in a very isolated location in spite of the fact that the owner promised that an air conditioned cafe would be on site and open. There were only a handful of logable caches in this isolated area in spite of the fact that the owner promised at least 100 caches of all terrain and difficulty levels. When we arrived, we were told that the only caches available at the time were the poker run and none of those caches were of terrains that were accessible without at least one hour of walking on trails in various conditions of shape. Other cachers have reported they had a good time and look forward to returning next year. We respect their opinions but we wonder how many events they have attended in the past. Thanks for letting us vent.

Spice
07-19-2009, 03:12 PM
My wife and I had originally posted a "Will Attend" for the event, but at the last minute we decided not to go for several reasons, one of which was the heat. It turned out to be cooler, but we were not going to take the chance. I had hoped it would be a good event...

TnT
07-19-2009, 05:11 PM
What has astonished us about this event is the number of attendees -- including some experienced cachers who are posting positive comments!

"Wonderful location", "Cant wait for next year" and the like have been posted more often than our TFTC.

We didn't talk to any AR cachers who "couldn't wait for next year". I guess this speaks more to the standards that AR cachers expect than anything else.

edieo
07-20-2009, 03:32 AM
I have to say I was sadly disappointment and I believe the host will not be sending everything in the mail as promised :!: :?: .I also have read some of the logs and wondered and about them. :o This event didn't live up to what was promised. :cry:

gingerose
07-20-2009, 05:33 AM
I wonder if groundspeak needs to be notified about this. I would hate to think they could host another event with similar methods/outcomes.

idratherbehiking
07-20-2009, 06:47 PM
??? attended EBE Event
We were close by....does that count? Didn't see the bonfire. Had weiners, bun, mustard, pickle relish, napkins, chips, an appetite...and.... didn't see the fire. Sniff Sniff

Maybe this is the kind of cacher posting all those positive comments about the "BIG" event.

idratherbehiking
07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
??? attended EBE Event
I guess we needed some smoke signals or something...we missed the fire. Had to eat plain old rotissery chicken, new potatos, cole slaw, baked beans, and garden fresh sliced tomatoes. Yuck...missed the roasted marshmallows too! Next year we will HUNT YOU DOWN!!

Here is another one, I guess I should log that I attended too but just could not find the right road out of Hot Springs to get there but I will be there next year.

Were these events that far out in the sticks that even people with a gps could not find the event location???

Ashallond
07-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Apparently it was for some people.

I'm somewhat glad that I DIDN'T go to it....I guess I just had a feeling about it for some reason. Too much vaguery and not enough specific details, or confirmed updates.

Guess some people just wanted an excuse to go rough it in the middle of nowhere for a few nights, and if that makes them happy, then so be it.

idratherbehiking
07-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Now we are eally starting to see the truth in the logs being posted now. Check out the ones from the last few days. GC1JE5R (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0c940c68-d80c-49a0-a2f8-0762b891639e)

I am so glad I turned them down when I was asked to help in the planning of this event.

Ashallond
07-29-2009, 10:09 PM
yikes. a phantom coin maker and a phantom shirt maker.

Brilliant.

And, apparently IdahoGI, the guy who is apparently the cause of many of these problems, also got banned from geocaching.com according to his profile.

edieo
07-30-2009, 03:31 AM
I' ve gotten a couple of e-mail from Geo*Trailblazer and he said I should go ahead and file a complaint with paypal.He stated that he had spoke to the coin maker that IdahoGI was suppose to have used and they knew nothing at all about his so called order. :( :roll: 8O

chadbishop
07-30-2009, 03:56 PM
was it coinsandpins? because they posted on there saying they had had several customers ask if it was them. i had heard through the grapevine about the disappointment of this event, but when i looked it up and read the logs i thought it should have at least showed up a little in the logs. i have to say edieo, if you bought something and you dont think you are going to receive it, you can file a complaint and always cancel it if you get your stuff. i would go ahead and file one so you can speed up the process. if you wait 45 days you wont be able to.

edieo
07-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't know who the coin maker was but I don't believe it was coinandpins and I am going file a complaint with paypal I recieved a email tonight stated that there was another event in the works for November 7-8 2009.
8O

Ashallond
07-31-2009, 03:08 PM
This so reminds me of an event that was planned for another game that I play, that was held near Hot Springs. Found out that the money people donated to help fund teh in-game radio station and be used for the event got sucked up into 'home improvements'

Needless to say, the individuals were in essence shunned from the game.

rklmbl
08-25-2009, 07:08 AM
We were surprised and delighted to see a $50 refund from Google for the World Geo Event on our credit card bill yesterday. Don't know if it was from IdahoGI, whose phone number was for someone else when we tried to call him, or Google or the credit card company. Regardless, it was nice to see and we hope this means others will get a refund soon too.

Ashallond
08-26-2009, 07:47 PM
i'm impressed as well, especially after reading the latest notes on that event to see that IdahoGI is starting to get stuck in a few lies of his own.

TnT
08-27-2009, 03:58 PM
I recieved a email tonight stated that there was another event in the works for November 7-8 2009.
8O

Please don't confuse this event being hosted by Geotrailblazer*1 (a real stand-up guy) with the one hosted by IdahoGI. In all honesty, if it hadn't been for the work the Charles did, there would have been absolutely nothing at the Geo-Gathering.

If you're watching for nearby events, there is also another event already scheduled for D-Day park on 5 Sep. I have a hunch that the people who own D-Day are doing everything they can to get people through the gates.