PDA

View Full Version : Looks like permits may be required for Rsvl Parks now

jclaudii
05-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Looking around the new russellvillearkansas.org site, I stumbled upon this:
http://www.russellvillearkansas.org/par ... -11-07.pdf (http://www.russellvillearkansas.org/parks_rec/documents/Geocachingformandpoliciesfillfields12-11-07.pdf)

Looks like geocaching may now require a permit for the Russellville Parks System. I'm not sure if there are any grandfathered in or not, but I did want to bring this up to everyone's attention.

idratherbehiking
05-18-2009, 10:16 AM
As far back as I can remember Russellville has always required a permit. You can turn them in at the Parks and Rec office at the Hughes Center on Parkway.

jclaudii
05-18-2009, 10:54 AM
hmmm...I guess I just never noticed or looked that close.

Dentful1
05-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I have been hearing a rumor that Hot Springs are in the talks about requiring permits. Any truth to that???

QuartzCachers
05-19-2009, 05:49 AM
I heard that from Gingerose, who has a friend that works for the HS parks. We'll see.

Gaddiel
05-19-2009, 08:40 AM
I got an email a few months ago from someone who works for the parks in Hot Springs that indicated that they were thinking about implementing permits. Not sure if anything has (or will) come of it...

Wayne

flannelman
05-19-2009, 03:07 PM
I talked to the P&R director in HS last summer about hiding a cache and she said something about permits but never got back with me on it again. She said they know about the caches already there but didn't indicate any position on them.

Dentful1
05-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Well........I didn't want too........but..........I guess I will......

I work for the City of Hot Springs. I have for 9 years now. I will wear my uniform and show up at the Parks Dept office on Opera St. this week and ask a few questions.

I already stirred up a hornets nest with the National Forest thing last year. I guess I will get Mrs Jean Wallace stirred up this year. 8O

gingerose
05-19-2009, 07:50 PM
What I heard was that the parks department was looking into placing guidelines about the geocaching not neccessarily permits. I am not sure what stage they are in with these decisions, since I have not spoken to anyone directly just indirectly (friend of my mom). I was told that the parks department thinks that for the most part geocachers are respectful of the parks but.....it might be a good idea, that a few geocachers be involved if guidelines are being decided.

I do know that this person did give me permission to hide a recent cache (not at a park but an unrelated place.)

sayitagain
05-20-2009, 11:02 PM
I talked to Jean in November after trying to find "Hollywood Park Trail" which showed to be buried under bulldozer tracks obviously a victim of the trail expansion. She said then that they were working on a permit system for geocaching and if it would have been in effect they would have known about the cache being located there and could have moved it out of harms way. I know she is OK with caches in parks but probably just wants to know where they are. Sayitagain

Dentful1
05-21-2009, 12:38 PM
I have great news from Hot Springs. I had a VERY productive 30 minute meeting with Mrs Jean Wallace. She was very excited and glad that I came in. She actually had an ammo can ready for placement by her desk. The Parks Dept have already gathered up some info and have rough drafted a policy. Mrs. Wallace stated the only reason they would want a permit application for each cache would be to help them know where each cache is and what the cache looks like and to make sure each cache will not cause any harm to the land or people. Looks like it will be a painless procedure and there is NO FEE and really does not add to what groundspeak already would like for us to do anyway.....which is GET PERMISSION BEFORE PLACEMENT. I asked her to come and "bump elbows" with us cachers at our annual meeting which she seemed to be interested in going. I offered her my assistance and she is very willing to accept. I also offered to put on a small "clinic" for the employees about this sport.

I am glad that my employment with the city has finally paid off. Now if they would just pay me a little more I would be even happier.

gingerose
05-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Dentful, Let me know if there is anything I can do. I am willing to help!

flannelman
05-22-2009, 08:01 PM
I'll help out if there is a need. I'm not doing anything else right now.