PDA

View Full Version : Log deleted, what would you do ?

Howlingmoon
03-15-2009, 08:50 PM
What would you do if someone deletes your legitimate log only because you took all the trackables out of the cache ?

BSA534
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't think there is much you can do Moonie. You might try to post a new log if you want to try and fight it. Maybe you can quote the rule about trackables not being "trade items". Good luck.

Howlingmoon
03-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I didn't think about including that in my log. I did repost the log. I had to rewrite it, and tis not as good or long as my original. I hadn't updated my database yet, so I didn't have it saved. We'll see if they do it again.

QuartzCachers
03-16-2009, 06:00 AM
I kind of thought the point of trackables was to take them and move them along. Seems like someone is making up their own rules. Which, sadly in this case, is O.K. to do.
I know there is a way to log a cache without sending the notification to the owner. I'm not sure about the route through this back door, but I'll just bet someone on here knows it. Of course the owner may eventually read the logs and delete it again, but it may be worth a try.

Howlingmoon
03-16-2009, 09:14 AM
He deleted my log again, so I logged my Tram Law - Muggle Factor, which has the same 3-1 rating. If someone can point me in the direction of the back door, I will give that a try.

Geezer_Veazey
03-16-2009, 10:28 PM
What cache are we talking about here? Perhaps a few people logging notes asking him his policy on deleting logs will cause him to rething.

Howlingmoon
03-16-2009, 11:28 PM
He eventually told me that he mainly deleted my log because I wrote how I had to retrieve the cache. Originally, his only thing was the trackables I took from the cache.

I sent the person an email so sweet, it could kill a non diabetic. He's replied saying that I can relog the find without "spoilers" but, still wants me to understand HIS point of view on the trackables. He seems to think that trackables are trade/swag items, and are supposed to be traded as such. I have emailed him my edited log to make sure tis satisfactory to him before reposting it to the cache.

OldRiverRunner
03-18-2009, 09:35 PM
He eventually told me that he mainly deleted my log because I wrote how I had to retrieve the cache. ... He seems to think that trackables are trade/swag items, and are supposed to be traded as such.I can see his point if you gave away too much information about the hide. I've never deleted a log like that before, although I have emailed a finder to ask them to remove the revealing detail (which they did).

Regarding the trackables, did you take them and leave something? Or did you just take them and leave nothing? If you take a TB, I think you need to leave something (doesn't have to be another trackable, though). In my opinion, it's bad form to take something from a cache and not leave anything. I don't know if you did that or not, but I've seen that before and I can understand if it upset the cache owner.

Howlingmoon
03-19-2009, 04:27 AM
Regarding the trackables, did you take them and leave something? Or did you just take them and leave nothing? If you take a TB, I think you need to leave something (doesn't have to be another trackable, though). In my opinion, it's bad form to take something from a cache and not leave anything. I don't know if you did that or not, but I've seen that before and I can understand if it upset the cache owner.

Trackables are not the same as swag. If you take a swag item, you SHOULD leave something. If you take a trackable, there's no requirement to leave something 'cause the trackables are meant to be moved. Of all the trackables I've picked up, I have never left anything in their place 'cept other trackables if I had any that needed to be moved.

For example, when I did my 7 day caching trip in November. I took 13-14 trackables from NWA with me to drop in Clarksville, and picked up the 10 or so that were there to bring back to NWA.

If someone has a problem with the way I play the game, I'm sorry but, that's how everything I've read and heard has said it should be done 'til now. As everyone keeps saying, everyone plays the game their own way. I'm not here to make enemies 'cause of the way I play the game. I'm just trying to have fun and enjoy tis beautiful state we all live and cache in.

majii
03-19-2009, 07:35 AM
I never feel obligated to leave anything when I take a trackable. I feel like I'm doing a favor for the owner of the trackable by moving it. IMO, there's no need to leave swag or another trackable in its place.

QuartzCachers
03-19-2009, 03:24 PM
This is a interesting school of thought. I had always assumed that I was doing the owner of the trackable a favor by moving it along. I have never, that I can remember, "traded" TBs or coins. I just move them along from spot to spot. I have now seen that some have a different idea on this. I have probably inadvertantly made someone mad by taking a trackable before. I'll just chalk it up to ignorance, and in the future, leave them alone if I don't have one to trade. In some ways, I am still a newbie at this. :oops:
Does this mean that if I don't actually own a trackable, that I shouldn't be messing with them at all? :?
What do others think about this?

TnT
03-19-2009, 03:45 PM
This is a interesting school of thought. I had always assumed that I was doing the owner of the trackable a favor by moving it along. I have never, that I can remember, "traded" TBs or coins. I just move them along from spot to spot. I have now seen that some have a different idea on this. I have probably inadvertantly made someone mad by taking a trackable before. I'll just chalk it up to ignorance, and in the future, leave them alone if I don't have one to trade. In some ways, I am still a newbie at this. :oops:
Does this mean that if I don't actually own a trackable, that I shouldn't be messing with them at all? :?

As far as I'm concerned, trackables are the private property of the individual that owns them. If you can help them towards their goal, you SHOULD take them. In no way is there (nor should there be) any obligation to leave anything in their place. The cache owner who tries to enforce that you can't take one without leaving one is effectively kidnapping the trackable, or holding someone else's property hostage.

mountainborn
03-19-2009, 03:58 PM
What if the trackable item is a pathtag ? They are a collectable item that is trackable. Sometimes we leave them, sometimes we take them, sometimes we trade them.
It depends on how the finder is playing the game, not how someone else wants us to play the game.
Once a trackable is cast into the wild the owner has little control, ( except to complain if the finder isn't playing the game like the hider want's them to ), the finder has the control.
Delete your own log and go onto bigger and better things. Multiple attempts to log the cache means that the hider is actually controlling how you play the game, and taking pleasure in your discomfort.

OldRiverRunner
03-19-2009, 05:39 PM
If someone has a problem with the way I play the game, I'm sorry but, that's how everything I've read and heard has said it should be done 'til now. As everyone keeps saying, everyone plays the game their own way. I'm not here to make enemies 'cause of the way I play the game. I'm just trying to have fun and enjoy tis beautiful state we all live and cache in.I apologize if I offended you. That was not my intent. And you can play the game anyway you want. But then, so can the cache owner!

If you go back and read what I said, I was merely trying to point out that the cache owner (who had been criticized in this thread) may have had a different take on what you did. As you state, "everyone plays the game their own way," so I'm just trying to give the cache owner (who has been voiceless in this thread) the benefit of the doubt and try to provide some possible rationale behind his/her actions.

bluesybreeze
03-19-2009, 08:18 PM
I think the real issue here is not that a trackable was taken while nothing was left in its place, but that ALL seven of the trackables were taken the first time the cache was found. I agree with what both Mountainborn and Old River Runner are saying. Don't take things personally, play the game and allow others to play the game also. The cache owner is fairly new to the game and deserves to have his point voiced also. He put out a brand new cache with 7 trackables and probably expected them to exit his cache one or two at a time. Your expectations and his expectations did not meet. You were both playing the game "your own way" and it left you both inflexible. Not a good place to be, trust me I've been there. Give a little, take a little, it all works out and nobody gets upset.

flannelman
03-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I can see both sides to this I guess. I really don't care what you do or don't do when taking trackables as long as you follow the goals of the owner of the trackable. I have been guilty of holding them too long before releasing them but a gentle reminder from the owner is all it takes to get me moving again. If I have one to swap I'll do that but if I see a trackable that wants to move on then I'll take it without trade. I have never had a complaint for moving one on just not moving it fast enough. I think just a few polite e-mails should be able to clear this whole mess up.

QuartzCachers
03-20-2009, 06:01 AM
You took all seven out of a brand new cache!? Hmmmm.....

oenavigator
03-20-2009, 08:17 AM

Bruce, tell me you're kidding. I really think you're just poking fun but just in case any new players to this game happen to read this thread:

You do NOT have to trade trackables. If you happen upon a TB or geocoin in a cache, please help it by moving it along. The TB's owners will be very grateful. If you can't move it then go ahead and post a "discovered" to the TB page to update the owner. Photos are also greatly appreciated.

Some cache owners expect finders to trade trackables in their caches. These rules can sometimes be found in the cache description page. Ignore these rules. The cache owner may or may not delete your log but it's no big deal.

How many trackables should you take? This depends entirely on how many you can move. If there is a mission/goal that is attached to the TB and you can aid it then by all means, please help it travel towards its goal. Most won't have a mission attached so if you can just move as many as you can along. It doesn't matter if there are seven or twenty or just one.