View Full Version : Caching The 7 Hollows Trail on Petit Jean

03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
We'll be camping at Petit Jean on Spring Break, so I thought I would hike the 7 Hollows Trail and pick up the caches that have been put out there since my last visit. There was a group that made this run last year, but I missed it, so I thought I'd see if I could get another group going this year. I'm looking at the morning of either March 24th, 25th, or 26th (Tue thru Thur); anybody care to join me? The rest of the GeoJeepers family will still be in the bed, so maybe someone else will come with me? We could make it whatever time works out on whichever day. I'll cook you a hot dog when we get thru! :D

03-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Heading that way this coming weekend. I'll let you know the status of the caches on the mountain.

03-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I would love to go with you but I have to work on those days. I hope you have a good time.

03-03-2009, 06:49 AM
Since you have had no takers on this little trip. I will go if at all possible.
The last time I did it was early in the morning, just so I could go to work that afternoon.
It is a wonderful walk and every time I make it I see something I didn't see before. I hope a few more folks jump in and give this a try.

03-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I guess I should have posted before now but I'm going to try to make it. I've completed almost all of the work for an EarthCache along Seven Hollows (except for the legwork anyway :wink:) and I would love to finish it. Will there be..um..refreshments served with said hot dog? :lol:

03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I'll let you know something a little closer to that week. Since my kids have been in school they have always had Spring break a week before me but this year it is the same week, WHOO HOO! I plan on doing something with them and this would be great. I found all those caches last year but there are still plenty in the area I haven't found. I know my kids would love that trail too. I'll have to wait to see what work has for me though.

03-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I may be a last minute add on, if that's O.K., but I could possibly be off on some of those days. I don't know just yet, but time off has been pretty plentiful all of a sudden, so it could happen.

03-04-2009, 07:46 PM
I'll leave the specific day open until late...I'm there the whole time anyway, so I'm flexible. Well, OEN, if you mean Dr. Pepper, Mtn. Dew or water, then yes sir, we'll have refreshements aplenty! I hope you can all make it!

03-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Our trip to PJSP this weekend was wonderful. All caches on 7 Hollows trail are in good shape and the trail open despite a few down'd trees from the recent ice storm. We found a number of ticks walking our clothing, though only the dog got bitten, so wear the repellant. Have fun on your hike...

03-10-2009, 08:20 AM
I'll leave the specific day open until late...I'm there the whole time anyway, so I'm flexible. Well, OEN, if you mean Dr. Pepper, Mtn. Dew or water, then yes sir, we'll have refreshements aplenty! I hope you can all make it!

Of course! What did you think I meant?? :P I should know something by the end of this week. Are you going to be in a hurry. I have some "bid-ness" to do on the hike which could slow us down. Minor detours.( get your mind out of the gutter, this is a family forum people!) :lol:

03-10-2009, 01:47 PM
We have our camp site reserved for the weekend of the 20th. We will leave on Sunday the 22nd, so it looks as though we will miss the group hike. We might hit that trail while we are there though, if we can talk the muggles we camp with into hiking it with us! If anyone is around that weekend, look us up!

03-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I do have 2 kids, OEN, so detours are a part of my life! :D Don't think that will be a problem at all, especially if it involves a cache! Hope you can make it.

03-11-2009, 07:43 AM
The fiance and I went along this trail over the weekend (it seems we followed SJC!) and found all but 2. We were tired, so the last two (when traveling clockwise) were DNFs for us, but I know they were there since there were other finds on it that day.

We will be back sometime soon to do the trail down to the bottom of the fall. Hope you have fun!

03-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Well, OENavigator sent me a note saying he could come down on Tuesday the 24th...anyone else going to be able to make it? A crowd would be fun!

03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
It's still up in the air for me. I was told today to expect a slow period again, so this may mean that I'll have some time to do this. I won't know till the last minute though. I'll let you know ASAP.

03-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm still not sure on this one yet. I'm pretty sure I won't have a job by then but my wife wants me to go to some cabin up in the north part of the state for a couple of days for our anniversary. I should know something later this week though.

03-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I have to be at work that day at 2 but I will see if I can go in a little later and maybe come up and hike with you guys if you plan on going in the morning. Just let me know what time and I will try and be there.

03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Right now we're thinking 9 or earlier. I'm already there and just want to be late enough for everyone that isn't lucky enough to be camping to drive in.

03-18-2009, 07:49 PM
The week of the 23rd is becoming a nightmare for me (work is going to be busy and some overtime for me). I will not be able to participate on the 24th at all. Ya'll have fun without me and I will miss the chance of walking the trail again. I did part of it last Saturday and everything looked good as far as I could tell.
Everyone have a good time. :D

03-19-2009, 09:51 PM
My wife is forcing me to take her to a cabin close to Eureka Springs Monday and Tuesday next week for a late anniversary present so I won't be able to go if it then. No I didn't forget our anniversary those are just the days she wanted to go. Maybe I can go next time.

03-21-2009, 05:49 AM
Hope to join in. Been in touch with O-nav about it. My 2 jrs will be with me so we are weather dependent. Too stormy and we better not. Looking for better forecast by then.

03-21-2009, 08:00 PM
:cry: We'll hope it gets better....right now it's 70% chance on Tuesday :cry: If it doesn't pour down...should we just meet at the Visitor Center on the highway, or just meet in the parking area for the trail?

03-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Either one is fine with me. It figures the forecast would bite for that day. If it stays as is I won't be bringing our eight year old along. Not that he doesn't want to go. I've hiked in the rain before so it's no big deal. As a bonus I bet the waterfall will be flowing well.

03-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Not really sure about that rain yet....on TWC this morning it looked more like it might be late Tuesday....of course it is March and nobody is really sure what it will do tomorrrow, much less any day after that. My Uncle Sam taught me I won't melt (or float away either) in a downpour, so it is what it is. Let's just meet at the visitor's center....it's only 5 feet off of the main highway and you can't miss it. And yes, if it does rain a lot, we'll for sure have to hop over to the falls....(maybe after hot dogs). Mrs. GeoJeepers has a brand new camera she's wanting to try out.