PDA

View Full Version : This Weekend?

jclaudii
02-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Hey, we are wanting to go geocaching and southerngirl's parents want to come along to as well as our new little guy. Does anyone know of some hiking trails that are not too difficult with a few geocaches on it. I know there is the BSA trail at Petit Jean, but were going to need something shorter with our lil guy. We need somewhere new to go. I'm just searching for ideas here, our starting location is Rsvl.

Thanks.

Gaddiel
02-05-2009, 09:45 AM
The Bona Dea trails in Rsvl are pretty easy and have a good number of caches. Also, our daughter enjoyed the Spadra Creek trail in Clarksville...

Wayne

jclaudii
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
We've done most of the caches on those trails. Were basically itching to get out away a bit. I looked at Mt. Magazine, but there seems to only be 5 or 6 in the park. I don't mind if we cache on the way there and back and whatever trail we hike has no geocaches. But It would be more fun if it was a continuing adventure.

I'll see what else gets thrown around before I go loading caches in the GPS.

oenavigator
02-05-2009, 04:10 PM
You should check out Devil's Den State Park. There is loads of caches all over that park and lot of them on the yellow trail.

SJClimber
02-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Was on Magazine and Nebo just after the ice storm. Trails are trashed, so you might call the HQ before trying those parks. There are seven at Lake Ouachita SP and a few more on the Little Blakely trail just north of the State Park. Both beautiful trails. All maps are online.

QuartzCachers
02-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Reid took the words right out of my mouth. The Lake Ouachita S.P.trails are not too difficult, and there are just enough caches to make for a fun afternoon. I can make Russelville in just under an hour, so you should be able to make LOSP in about an hour and fifteen minutes. Good luck! :D :D :D

jclaudii
02-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm still looking for a place. No luck yet. the OSP website says 3-4 hours for the entire trail...I was t hiking perhaps top 2 for round trip. Our lil guy is almost 2 months old :) and I don't want to over do it with him in his little carrier.

Anything pretty much north of I40 is closed like pretty much anything forest service, as well as Devils Den and Hobbs. So were looking south.

OldRiverRunner
02-06-2009, 01:15 PM
I recommend the Cedar Creek Trail in Petit Jean SP. Short enough to meet your criteria. Most of the trail follows the BSA Trail and makes a loop back to the parking lot. My BSA 12 cache is right on this loop, and the BSA 1 and BSA 2 caches are a short distance off the loop. You could also park at Mather Lodge and hike from there to the falls overlook and pickup the BSA 11 and Canyon View caches. BSA 10 is only a short distance from Mather in the opposite direction along the BSA Trail.

HikerRon
02-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Not hiking, more like walking. Try the bike trail thru Searcy. Caches strung out for over 4 miles. Paved path all the way. Bring the stroller:)

flannelman
02-07-2009, 03:30 AM
You could look at Burns Park, Two Rivers Park, ant the area around the Big Dam Bridge. A lot of the trails are paved and there are a ton of caches in the area. You will also see a lot of deer in those areas. Maumelle also has several caches and a nice network of trails with playgounds.

jclaudii
02-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas on where to go. We ended up heading the Longpool Rec. Area. The inlaws there have never been to Longpool falls so we took them there and showed them. While there, we found the cache and placed a travel bug in it.

The falls were running pretty good and was a fun hike. SG had to stay at the bottom because we took our lil guy with us and navigating on slippery rocks was not the best thing. We were going to look for more caches, but I loaded the wrong set of caches into the GPSr, they were at least over a year old and very out of date.

Anyone else get out and do some caching? I'll post some pics up later.