PDA

View Full Version : How do you use GSAK?

jclaudii
02-04-2009, 09:13 AM
I have been using GSAK to load the coordinates into my GPS for some time now as well as maintaining multiple databases of the areas. I know there has to be a better or easier way than the way I am doing it. Currently, I maintain a database for each area I geocache at ex. Russellville area, Conway area, Clarksville area, Piney River area, etc.

Now before I go on a geocaching adventure I will run a PQ to get the latest updates into that particular database. I see that some of you use GSAK to do statistics like how many caches in each county etc. I looked at the PQ and I have no idea how you get all those caches into GSAK unless it's with multiple PQ's of different areas to get around the 999 limit.

Now I thought about creating a Arkansas database file and then just filtering out in GSAK before I go on my geocaching trip to the 999 caches that can fit into my gps. I'm just curious how others mange their waypoints and files.

My question is, how do some of you make GSAK work for you?
Also, there is no current way to "refresh" all the caches you have in your database without loading a PQ?

GeoJeepers
02-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Well, it looks like I use GSAK just the same way you do...so I'll be watching this post to see what everyone else comes up with too, I'm not any help to you.

TnT
02-04-2009, 09:44 PM
GSAK is a wonderful program. Pretty much unlimited in what you can do with it.

You can maintain a database of all the active caches in AR with only 11 PQs. That leaves 28 more for you to use for special circumstances.

With the macros available, its amazing what can be done with the info available.

One thing I would suggest is that everyone play around with the filters and see what they can do for you. Heading south on your next trip? Do a filter for caches that are south of you. Don't want to do multis? Filter them out.

I'm pretty familiar with GSAK and what it can do for you. If anyone has particular wants or desires, I can probably help.

One thing everyone needs to remember though is that sharing of PQs and off-line databases is against groundspeak's Terms of Usage and has gotten people banned from the site.

Again, I'm more than willing to help, just ask.

cachemates
02-04-2009, 09:49 PM
I know I don't use GSAK to it fullest but the way I do it works pretty good for me. I do not maintain a database. I do a PQ for the area where I am going caching. I select any type of cache, any container, caches not found and active. I don't usually filter out terrain rating or difficulty ratings.
When I get home I sometimes (but not always) Log my found caches using GSAK. Most of the time I log caches using Geocaching.com using the GC #.
Simple but it works.

BSA534
02-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I run multiple pocket queries each week in order to cover the areas of the state I frequent. I center one in Conway, Searcy and Ashdown. Then if I know I'm going somewhere else I run one for that area too. I pull them all into GSAK and then I set a cache where I'm going as the centerpoint and use the filters to get the cache numbers down to fit into my gpsr (1000 for the 60csx). Using the filters you can eliminate caches you've found, caches that are unavailable, multi-caches, set the maximum terrain level or difficulty, all kinds of things.

I don't ever delete all of my database. Sometimes I set the filter and delete anything that hasn't been updated in a few months.

The stats are generated by a macro that you can get off the GSAK website. Really good info in there.

73Rebel
02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
I use GSAK pretty much the same way as has been mentioned. What makes GSAK so great is the flexibility you get from all the macros. I have two favorites, the Garmin Nuvi macro that works with Garmin's POILoader. It will load up to I think 10,000 caches as a custom POI and gives the full cache page description, the last 4 logs and the hint. So I can look at the cache page in the truck before taking my 60 out to find the cache. My other favorite is the stat generator that produces a really cool looking stat page for your GC.com profile. I have databases for benchmarks by parish (county for you guys) and move any that I have found into a "My Finds" database so that the Stat generator will pick up my benchmark finds along with my cache finds.

jclaudii
02-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Do any of you use cachemate in the filed and log your caches to your PDA and then sync your PDA to GSAK and then sync your logs to GC.com? Granted, I can hardly type on a pda with their little touchscreen, but it would be neat to have some specific info about each cache loaded to GSAK and then you can edit each log to be more detailed and specific.

I was thinking this would work great for those days you find lots of caches. Right now we use a notepad in the Jeep to keep track of unique features on caches so we can keep them straight when logging. Like GCxxxx camo under rock, t-bouncy ball, L-spork, saw 2 deer on walk. Then when we get back home we take the notebook in with us to write a nice log from the specific details on each cache we wrote down. It now helps that we installed the grease monkey app that makes logging on GC.com easier.

Just curious to how you all do it.

BSA534
02-25-2009, 09:27 AM
I try to make some short notes (when I have time) in the notes section of cachemate on my pda. When I get home I change the catgory to "Found" and export those logs to memos and sync my pda. This creates memos on my computer and I use them to log my finds on gc.com. Makes sure I don't miss much.

majii
02-27-2009, 08:58 AM
My new PN-40 has a field notes section where I can put some brief info about each cache in the GPSr itself. Have I mentioned how much I like this new GPSr? :D

73Rebel
02-27-2009, 11:05 PM
My new PN-40 has a field notes section where I can put some brief info about each cache in the GPSr itself. Have I mentioned muchow h I like this new GPSr? :D

Is the PN-40 Whereigo compatable? I have heard good things about it.

majii
03-02-2009, 08:47 AM
I'm not sure if it's Whereigo capable or not. I haven't actually tried it.