PDA

View Full Version : I got a new GPSr

majii
12-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Well, after getting fed up with my 2 year-old Magellan eXplorist GPSr randomly turning itself one (thousand) too many times, I broke down and got a new GPSr. "Is it a Garmin?" you ask. Nope. I heard this rumor that there were more than just two GPSr manufacturers on the market and had to check it out. Surely enough, I was able to find a relatively inexpensive GPSr that met my paperless caching "needs." It was the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40. I figured since I have a cache that borrows the company name it would be fitting to have one of their GPSr models. And let me tell you, I'm going to be dangerous now. For most of my caching history I've just taken my eXplorist into the field with the coordinates, cache name (or at least first 20 characters), difficulty, terrain, and hint (first 30 characters). Now I will have all of the information on the cache page at my fingertips in one device. And with the soon-to-be-released geocaching-friendly firmware update, I'll be able to mark caches as found and have the cache icons associated with the cache waypoints. Look out! I'm coming now.

AR-HICK
12-22-2008, 09:08 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/JustMyOpinion/Emoticons/Clapping.gif
Glad to see that you you moved into the 21st. century. If you haven't already gotten started with that Magellan what would you call it :?:
Just a thought maybe you are getting OLD :?:
I have found that I use shortcuts to make it easier for me to do the same things that I used to do the hard way.
Merry Christmas to you and remember who is ahead now http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/JustMyOpinion/Emoticons/laughhard.gif

jclaudii
12-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Congrats on the new GPS! You'll find twice as many now right?

JodyC_GoHogs
12-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Any feedback on the PN-40? I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially going from a Mag to a DeLorme.

I have a basic eTrex H that I got when I started GCing 11 months ago. For my GC 1-year anniversary, I am considering buying a new GPSr. I was strongly leaning to an eTrex Vista HCx, but the reviews of the PN-40 have caught my eye.

How was the transition to the new software? Is the higher-res photo layering as dependable as is touted? How intuitive are the GPSr menus?

Enjoy the new power you're holding!

majii
12-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Just so you know, I'm not ignoring you. I'm just trying to do some field research before giving much of a review. Plus I'm still waiting for the promised firmware update. I do already really like the detailed maps (especially after having almost no streets on my eXplorist map.). I'm hoping to do some more caching in the next few days, and by that time I should have a better feel for the unit.

JodyC_GoHogs
12-30-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm just trying to do some field research before giving much of a review.

Thanks for the note! I can't wait to hear what you have to say, before I lay out nearly $400! I've been following the discussions on the GC Forum about the WAAS issues. I'd be interested to know your experience with getting those "blue bars" here in central Arky.

Thanks!!!

ButterflyDiver
01-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I am so jealous, majii!! I read an article about the DeLorme PN-40 & looked it up on Amazon to read the reviews. Sounds Great! We hope to see a demonstration of your new prize at an event soon!

vstromcharlie
06-05-2009, 06:35 PM
I purchased a PN40 about two weeks ago. I am still educating myself on what it can do and I am a neophyte anyway. But, I have searched for and found 5 caches in my trial runs.

The unit gets me usually within about 1-3' from the cache. I am however having some issues not gps related with finding the micro caches but that is me not the unit.

It is blazing fast compared to my old gps. I got a great deal from Amazon for the unit, 5 regional map discs + Canada and Mexico, topo8 and a mobile power cord for $238 shipped free. Pretty good deal. I will be adding the optional lithium battery in the near future.