PDA

View Full Version : Blowing Cave Bonus Cache

AR-HICK
11-17-2008, 10:38 AM
During the Conway meet and greet I was talking to "TN Girl on the Hunt" and she is from Bristol, TN and is here in Arkansas until Dec. 14th. She was telling me that she would really like to give this one a try.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=7e67a247-4227-449f-b70a-64c8a1f293e2

It is a 5/5 and I don't think it is for the weak of heart. I have not made up my mind if I want to try this one, may have to go on a diet to fit thru some of the spots. If we get a group together I will tag along, just hope I don't freak out :oops:

If you are interested post and I will get in touch with you.

oenavigator
11-17-2008, 11:31 AM
I've been watching that cache for a long time. If you get a group together to go I would love to tag along if I can. Let me know.

BTW. Mike, if I get scared, will you hold my hand? :lol:

jclaudii
11-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow, that looks like a crazy cache! I never thought of geocaching as an extreme sport, but that cache does. I won't be able to go with you on this trip, but hopefully I can hit it sometime in the future. If you do decide to go, bring a camera and take lots of pictures. Gift cards in there as a FTF seemed like a great reward considering the work you had to do. I look forward to hearing your trip report if you go!

Dentful1
11-17-2008, 02:02 PM
I always like the physical challenge caches. I have been wanting to do this one as well, just waiting on a group to do it with. I will have to see what dates you are planning before I commit.

HikerRon
11-17-2008, 07:45 PM
I would certainly like to tag along on this trip. i would probably have to turn around at the first tight spot....too big around the middle. but i could go for help if need be:)

i had the opportunity ONCE to do some wild caving in colorado. i wont name the cave as it is on private property and is still being explored and surveyed.
fortunately i was invited to join in on a work-day at the cave, and was guided in, step by step by members of the local professional cave-rescue team. so i was in good hands. what i learned:

-take 3 sources of light.
-dont take real cameras in a cave, it is too hazardous to the camera. take some disposable cameras instead.
-wear hard clothing, such as jeans, carhartt, etc. the clothing takes a lot of abuse.
- bring an extra set of clothes to put on when you are done.
-hard hat is a good idea too. i went to home depot and bought one for $7
-also, knees pads are the best idea of all.
- and i learned to put all the gear you take into the cave in a drawstring bag, preferably waterproof, and push it ahead of you as you go.

there it is. ALL i know about caving:)

Dentful1
11-17-2008, 08:04 PM
I think whoever stays at the mouth of the cave can have a big ole' bon fire built for the spelunkers to get warm and dry as they come out. I believe cave water temps stay around 54*F year round in cold water caves and up to 70*F in warm water caves. You may want to check on that. The air temp outside will be cold, it is late NOVEMBER !! I will still do it with those temps if the date is right.

oenavigator
11-17-2008, 08:15 PM
I would certainly like to tag along on this trip. i would probably have to turn around at the first tight spot....too big around the middle. but i could go for help if need be:)

i had the opportunity ONCE to do some wild caving in colorado. i wont name the cave as it is on private property and is still being explored and surveyed.
fortunately i was invited to join in on a work-day at the cave, and was guided in, step by step by members of the local professional cave-rescue team. so i was in good hands. what i learned:

-take 3 sources of light.
-dont take real cameras in a cave, it is too hazardous to the camera. take some disposable cameras instead.
-wear hard clothing, such as jeans, carhartt, etc. the clothing takes a lot of abuse.
- bring an extra set of clothes to put on when you are done.
-hard hat is a good idea too. i went to home depot and bought one for $7
-also, knees pads are the best idea of all.
- and i learned to put all the gear you take into the cave in a drawstring bag, preferably waterproof, and push it ahead of you as you go.

there it is. ALL i know about caving:)

...and lard. In case I get stuck. :lol:

AR-HICK
11-17-2008, 11:30 PM
After a discussion with Majii I think that this one would need to be attacked in a warmer part of the year. 54 degree water is a little to cold for me right now, I don't think that water is much warmer than that although it sounds quite refreshing on a hot summer day. Along with that:

EONavigators wrote
BTW. Mike, if I get scared, will you hold my hand?

Holding hands is one thing, but I don't want to cuddle with you to stay warm.
Yes, I would like to do this one. Just I think I have enough smarts not to get hypothermia and have to resort to sharing body heat with EON.
I suggest that we wait until warmer weather and a little more time to plan the expedition. I have sent a e-mail to "TN Girl on the Hunt" telling her that I would not be participating in this freeze fest in December.

Dentful1
11-18-2008, 02:38 AM
I agree Hick and I will be waiting for the dates this upcoming summer.

QuartzCachers
11-18-2008, 07:02 AM
After thinking about the posts I read here yesterday, I agree that this should be done in warmer weather. Count me in on this excursion! I am with Hiker Ron though, I may have to be the fire master due to too many deer camp biscuits and gravy! :D :D :D

majii
11-18-2008, 08:42 AM
As one of the few who have found this cache, I definitely recommend doing it during a warmer time of year. We went back in March, and some of the people in the group with less -ahem- "natural insulation" were very cold. You WILL be covered from head to toe in mud and you will get very wet. We washed off in the stream outside. That was bad enough in March, and I have trouble imagining it in December. It took us about 2 hours to get all the way in and another 2 hours to get back out, and we were exhausted after we got out. We happened to go with one of the cache owners, whithout whom I don't think we would've made it all the way to the waterfall. If the money is right I might could be convinced to go along and serve as a guide... :twisted:

We all agreed that we had a great time doing this cache, and some of the guys are potentially wanting to go back some time just for fun.

BSA534
11-18-2008, 10:32 AM
This one is on my list. After I find every other cache in the entire state I plan on going for this one. :lol:

idratherbehiking
11-18-2008, 11:32 AM
This is definitely a cache that I would like to do. If you wait until summer maybe I can be a few sizes smaller so I can fit better through those tight spaces.

Dentful1
11-18-2008, 01:05 PM
OKAY !!! All of you guys that have a "girth" problem may I suggest you get some "RICHARD SIMMONS" videos. http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/2.gif
He/She (jury still out on that one) will help you sweat it off and will make you mad when he says "come on you ladies, you can do it," he will even make you dance "like a pony."http://bestsmileys.com/horses1/7.gif

If I don't quit eating Burger Kings chicken biscuits for breakfast I will have to get the whole series of videos.

idratherbehiking
11-18-2008, 11:39 PM
My wife already has all of the Richard Simmons videos and I can't stand them, or is it just him. Fall is here so I will probably drop my usual weight that I do every year when I get to hike more and I plan on doing a lot more this winter than I have in the past few years. I have seen a few people who have made blogs to track their weight loss and I am thinking of doing that too.

B62GTAWK
11-20-2008, 08:36 PM
:D I worked my whole life to get the figure I have no Richard for me. I am a good fire builder and serve up a mean Hot Dog. I am known not to leave home without a full Pack. (of food that is) Set a date

ShadowCachers
12-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I have been eye balling this cache for sometime. TN Girl mentioned this one to me as well. Long as my back is holding up when the operation order rolls down to attack this cache head one. Count me in, for sure!

Brettp2004
12-14-2008, 12:14 AM
If you guys decide to go for this one let me know. I would gladly go along. I was thinking about going up there with a friend, but would probably have much better results with a group of people. Please keep me posted.

ShadowCachers
12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I heard through the grapevine that a few cachers from Ohio might be interested in going as well. They just need to know a date ahead of time. I'm excited already!

arkfiremedic
03-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Any word on the group wanting to tackle this one? I would like to go as well, schedule permitting.

Dentful1
03-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Hopefully mid summer. I am anxiously awaiting the date also.

ShadowCachers
03-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I say we do it toward the end of april or may. The water inside will be cold reguardless of what month it is. We have to do it by August because I will be caching in Kuwait

majii
03-12-2009, 07:29 AM
If y'all pick a good day for me I'll be willing to serve as a guide.

apache_scout
03-25-2009, 06:11 PM
You younger guys have no sense of style. I am saving this one for my 10,000 find. I would like to invite all other cachers to join me. Should be about 30 years from last week.

Rhone
03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Hick

I've been in that cave. You can get through the one tight spot on the way to the cache. Be prepared to get very wet. I would highly recommend the use of polypropylene long johns and a shirt otherwise you will get very cold. Make sure that you take at least three light sources with you. I don't know exactly where the cache is hidden in there, and I have no intentions on going for it because I cannot get through the one tight spot. It is a very narrow canyon with a 90 degree turn to the left at the end. I hate the cave anyway. It is trashed, muddy, and has nothing of any interest for me. If you go for this one good luck.

Dentful1
06-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Summer is here. I am waiting on a date.

drmo913
06-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I know AR-HICK started this thread, but I'm hijacking it temporarily. I've been working on getting a group together for this one myself. Though, sadly, I think my group is currently all muggles (Only people that are crazy enough to grab this cache that I personally knew). If there is a group going, I would love to join! I've never been thru a cave, & and I firmly believe that there is safety in numbers!

Look forward to seeing the replies!
:D

Dentful1
06-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Still waiting........................................... ....

oenavigator
06-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey dentful1, pass me that copy of Good Housekeeping. :lol:

majii
06-16-2009, 07:16 AM
My brother said that some of the guys who went with us last time are wanting to make another trip into this cave. How does everybody feel about August 1 for a semi-guided tour to the cache?

Dentful1
06-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Ummmmm. Good Housekeeping??? How about Motor Trend, National Geographic, Bassmaster, JcWhitney, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop.

August 1st is a date. This sounds good. It is the first date brought up for a summer hunt.

ShadowCachers
06-16-2009, 07:38 PM
August 1 sounds good to me. I know me and brettp2004 from Ward wants to tackle this one and a friend from Ohio might be coming he goes by illinitrekker. I heard that some of the cachers were going to hold an event outside the cave that day. I hope it has Hot chacolate

pshelto
06-27-2009, 09:08 AM
This is close to my girlfriend's house so I might have to try it out. I've been spelunking a few times, but nothing real hardcore. Headlamp, helmet, jeans, glow sticks, and water are always good to have.

I will keep you updated as to my availability on Aug 1st. Currently, it looks like an open date.

Brettp2004
07-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Count me in!!!!!

jclaudii
07-15-2009, 11:06 AM
What is the official list of people going so far? I'm trying to talk myself and brother-in-law in doing this one when yall do, but it just depends on how many go, and what we have going on. That cave will feel great in a few weeks.

majii
07-16-2009, 07:28 AM
My brother said he has 5 or 6 coming in from Texas to do this one with us. Beyond that I'm not sure. We also might want to hammer out a time to meet.

Dentful1
07-16-2009, 11:27 AM
I vote Majii to be the "leader" of this adventure.

I am going. Write that down our fearless leader!! :lol:

jclaudii
07-17-2009, 09:24 AM
I have not made up my mind yet about this one.

How long does it take to get to the waterfall area and back out, looks like you estimate 2hours from previous trips.

AR-Hick, you going?

AR-HICK
07-17-2009, 09:20 PM
jclaudii wrote

AR-Hick, you going?
I have not gotten below 200 Lbs. I don't know if I can fit?
I sure would hate to stop progress being hung up in that hole until I lost enough weight to slide out.
:oops:

Dentful1
07-20-2009, 08:26 PM
What time are we meeting??? Where are we going to meet??? Hey QC!!!!! You want to ride in the red civ and get there real fast???

http://bestsmileys.com/cars/8.gif

Dentful1
07-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Does Majii want to make this a Meet and Greet Event..."spelunking cachers."

majii
07-21-2009, 07:55 AM
It took us about 4 hours round trip when we went previously.

I think you'll fit, Mike. We had at least one guy last time that I'm certain was bigger than you are.

I'll check and see if this fits the qualifications for setting up an event.

As for the time, I'm not sure how early people are going to want to get up and get out there. How about 10:00 am at/near the mouth of the cave?

Dentful1
07-21-2009, 11:15 AM
I will be there at 10 am at the mouth of the cave. Can we check on getting a bucket of lard to grease down Hick for those tight spots.......

QuartzCachers
07-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Dentful, I'll check with the Queen of my household, for my status on that day. Maybe I can go and take some dynamite, so that I can fit in too! 8O 8O 8O

arkfiremedic
07-22-2009, 05:11 PM
Dentful, I'll check with the Queen of my household, for my status on that day. Maybe I can go and take some dynamite, so that I can fit in too! 8O 8O 8OI am afraid that if bean pole Hick may have some trouble fitting then I may as well just stay at home, or borrow some of your dynamite.

AR-HICK
07-22-2009, 06:03 PM
bean pole Hick
8O :? :oops: :o
Lets not resort to calling names here.

Dentful1
07-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Is all this rain going to affect the water down in the hole????? Is it going to be flooded???? Is it going to be passable????

majii
07-29-2009, 07:40 AM
There was only one point last time where water level was even close to being a problem, and I think it would've even been passable regardless of the water level.

So I'm fairly certain that dentful1 is planning to go. Anybody else I should expect?

Dentful1
07-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Majii....if I be the only one then I would be willing to reschedule for another weekend when others may attend. The more the marrier I think.

ShadowCachers
07-30-2009, 08:08 PM
ShadowCachers and brettp2004 will be there for sure.

majii
07-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the info, ShadowCachers. My brother and a friend of his are coming in from Texas as well, but they both were with the group I found it with previously, so they'll also serve as guides. I believe that the "D" in JJED may be coming with us as well. Anybody else?

Dentful1
07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Do to unforseen circumstances I, Dentful1, will not be able to make this trip that has been in the works for months. Just when you think you have all of the ducks lined up in a row a big ole fox jumps out and grabs one. I was really really really really wanting to do this one. I will have to make plans with somebody else in the very near future and possibly go all the way to the end of the cave. I will have to see what things are in store for us in August or early September for a run up there.

Sorry Majii.

chadbishop
07-31-2009, 05:45 PM
id love to make the trip if you guys would have me. im able to provide my own transportation and my friend, txbmc would probably want to come too.

ShadowCachers
07-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Come on out. I'm meeting WoodWalker and KD5JNL at Walmart in Searcy tomorrow morning around 745am to gather a few things before we venture tot he cave.

arkfiremedic
07-31-2009, 07:54 PM
Is Woodwalker going too? I would love to go but I don't get off until 08:00 in the morning and it is exactly 191 miles from where I sit now. Guess maybe I'll try to make the next one.

ShadowCachers
07-31-2009, 08:07 PM
I dont think were going in until 1030 I here. You should come on out Arkfiremedic

chadbishop
08-01-2009, 03:23 AM
noooooooooo! i figured it was tomorrow morning. i should have checked this thread earlier. dont plan on seeing me i had alot to do tonight and am just now heading to bed. good luck guys. looking forward to hearing all about the adventure on the forums.

arkfiremedic
08-01-2009, 06:11 AM
That was 191 miles as the crow flies. Much, much longer by car. I would love to go but I'm afraid I will have to wait until the next trip. Thank you for the invite though. I'm a little confused about the previous post, it is today at 10:30 a.m. isn't it?

ShadowCachers
08-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Right now its 1238 and I have no idea how I'm even awake after completing the Blowing Cacve cache. There are no words to explain the adventure we had today. I always thought I was closterfobic or how ever you spell that word and never thought I would even try this cache. The cache will challenge you in more way then one. This cache was on my list of thing to see and do before I move in Nov and it was well worth it. I want to thank our great guides for the fantastic day. I still dont know how I did because after 100 yards my mind was trying to find a reason to turn back. There is one guy I mean child I want to give alot of credit for and thats ShadowHound. He is only 8 years old and he tackled Blowing Cave. 8 years old and never done anything remotely close to this ever. Not once did he get scared. I'm still amazed that he did it. So pround on my son Zach. If it wasnt for him I proubly wouldn't have been able to do it. Zach even passed up on a birthday party for his best friend to go their with me for this amazing cache. All I had to say was WoodWalker was going to be there and that he got to wear his own light on his head. Man we had such a great time. I also want to thank the great WoodWalker who stayed outside the cacve and waited for our return. He had a camping grill cooking hot dogs for us to eat when we returned. man I'm still pumped from this cache. This cache is a must do!!!!!

KD5JNL
08-02-2009, 07:30 AM
First of all I have to thank Majii and Jinx1(and muggle friend Daniel) for helping us to the cache. This is not for just anyone. I remember one spot crawling on my back for about 30 ft. with rock 6 in. from my nose(kinda like a MRI machine). One spot along the way you had water up to your neck and rock 1 in from the top of your head. I do remember saying a little prayer asking god to let me get back through that spot so I didn't get stuck down there. It is definitely an adrenaline rush! Woodwalker is the greatest. He knew he wouldn't be able to do the cache, but he was there to support us. My hats off to you my friend! We have photo, I'll try to get posted soon. I'm 46 now and have to say this is one adventure in life I'll always look back on. Just a side note we heard a rummor that the property is for sale, so who knows what the future holds for this cache.

GeoJeepers
08-02-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm with you Shadowcacher...it's now the next morning and I can barely move...I think it hurts to blink! I haven't done anything that was this hard on me in many years, but I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Shadowhound did a great job....we were squeezing thru cracks and huffing and puffing, and he was 2 feet behind the leader the whole time asking "is this the right way?". Great adventure...and even though I can't move today I definitely will do it again (just not this week!) KD5JNL and I were the old timers in the group (considering the rest of you are young pups) , and we came out OK! To come out and have Woodwalker waiting with food was awesome...those were some great tasting hot dogs! Thanks to Majii for bringing his friends from Texas and guiding us thru this maze..it was awesome! Thanks to all for letting me tag along.

p.s. HondaCacher was not happy when he heard about the adventure he missed out on...he wants to know when the next trip is going to be!

Brettp2004
08-02-2009, 08:00 PM
This was definitely an experience. Like shadowcacher said, there are really no words to explain how amazing it was. Thanks to the guides for getting us to the waterfall and then back to the light of day. If anyone wants to check out the video I put together of the trip it's on my facebook, Brett Phillips. Feel free to add me as a friend. And yes, my camera did survive the trip, I had to take the waterproof housing completely apart to get all of the mud out! I would like to do it again in the future and would definitely recommend tackling this cache to anyone thinking about it. And a good tip before you go in... don't think about it, just do it.

arkfiremedic
08-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Lots of Brett Phillips on Face Book. I'd love to see the video though.

Brettp2004
08-03-2009, 05:33 AM
I guess there is, sorry about that. Email is brettp2004@yahoo.com if that helps. If not, my network is US Air Force and the profile picture is me hanging off the edge of a cliff. I think you can look it up by email though.

majii
08-03-2009, 09:55 AM
As has been mentioned, I believe we all had a good time here. Many thanks to woodwalker9 for sticking around and having food ready for us when we got back (and washed off all the caked-on mud). He's just a plain awesome person. I'm fairly certain that Daniel (the mostly muggle) and jinx1 would be up for this again at some point in the future, just not the immediate future. Of course, now there are more potential guides, so I don't feel like I absolutely have to go the next time, but I doubt it would take much arm twisting to get me there. Each time I go I learn a little more about what I should've brought...

arkfiremedic
08-03-2009, 07:22 PM
BrettP I loved the video. Thank you for sharing.

pshelto
08-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Wow guys sounds like a blast! Unfortunately I couldn't make it; I was busy tackling 'the Mother' up in NWA. I took four muggles with me and we had a blast but it sounds like the blowing cave was a true experience. I am sad I missed out and will be watching for the next big trek out there.

KD5JNL
08-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Kd5jnl & Geojeepers by the waterfall
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o133/kd5jnl/5260_118203587889_559967889_2862471.jpg
The Crew before
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o133/kd5jnl/5260_118203422889_559967889_2862441.jpg[/img]
me going through one of the tight spots
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o133/kd5jnl/5260_118203507889_559967889_2862456.jpg
Comming out the other side of the tunnel. From here you go stright up
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o133/kd5jnl/6172_1176148933348_1516848969_30451.jpg
The aftermath
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o133/kd5jnl/6175_1201915292761_1374934630_57898.jpg

BSA534
08-07-2009, 09:11 PM
WOW! Those are amazing photos! Thanks for sharing!

drmo913
08-08-2009, 06:34 AM
WOW! Great pics! Looks like you guys really enjoyed yourselves!

I had been hoping to go with you guys, but I had company from out of town (Taiwon) that I was visiting with the day of the finding.

Great job!

I look forwarding to logging this cache soon!