PDA

View Full Version : Your first cache find and your online log (post it here)

Spice
10-22-2008, 08:59 PM
I was looking over my account tonight and thinking back to my very first find. It was GCTXGW Sunset from a Short Mountain on April 13th, 2006. I went back and read my very first online log and thought it would be neat to see the online logs for everyone's first find. I posted a photo on my first find online log of me with the cache container. I use that same photo now for my avatar on forums.

With the talk lately about online logs I thought that I doubt anyone out there has a SL for their first online log! Below is my first online log, please post your first online log here to share with everyone.

April 13, 2006 by paris1time

This was the first cache ddkds and I have found! We just started geocaching. We had a hard time finding it at first, but after I noticed that the coordinates in my GPSr were different than those on the printout from the cache we found it. I downloaded the waypoint and put it on my GPSr, so not sure what was up with that. We found the cache in good shape. We left a Mini-Magic 8 Ball and some silly putty. We took the bracelet left by BPSHideNSeek to have something to remember our first find. We took some pics and I have added them.
TFTC!

Howlingmoon
10-22-2008, 09:39 PM
My first find was Down by the Farm GCX91J on 7-1-08.

My first find! WOOT I even battled the spider webs, and I am deathly afraid of spiders! Unfortunately, I forgot my gloves back at home (along with my purse!), so I had to go back to my car to get a gardening tool I kept in my big geo-backpack to whack the spider webs away! LOL TFTC!

Gaddiel
10-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Boy this really brought back some good memories! Here's our first log from a cache called "River View Cache Box", overlooking the lock and dam at Toad Suck Park near Conway:

February 23, 2003 - Nice view from up here! Found it without any difficulty. Although, like others, my Legend was showing it on the other side of the fence. Rainy and cold today, so I didn't linger too long. Cache is in good shape.

Took: tea candles
Left: Neoprene strap for eye glasses

Looking back, I don't know why someone would leave candles in a cache... But then again, I don't know why someone would leave an eye-glasses strap, either! Oh well, you cache and learn, I guess...

Wayne

scottmphoto
10-23-2008, 07:57 AM
My first real find was the one at Caudle Overlook at Old Post Road Park in Russellville.

BSA534
10-23-2008, 10:53 AM
It wasn't the first one we looked for but it was the first one we actually found:

Cache In on Soccer
September 3, 2007 by BSA534
Our first find! Left a Diddy Kong toy. Can't wait to look for more!

OldRiverRunner
10-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Beaver's Lair (GCB541) Found July 20, 2003:
Typical Sunday in July in Arkansas. Heat, humidity, mosquitos, poison ivy, and water mocassins. Just a walk in the park to this one! Took a yo-yo, left a post card. Note: Recent storms and high winds have blocked one approach to this cache.

GeoJeepers
10-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Our first find was GCHQE2 Riverside Park State Quarter Cache back on 4/4/04.....

"This was our first cache! We had never even used a GPSr before. It was really neat to find. We took it over in the brush to view it for safety. TNLNSL, we didn't have any quarters you needed in the book. The kids really enjoyed the trip."

How funny....first one we ever found actually had money in it! This one and one in Florida in June of the same year that was only foreign money ( I still carry that coin in my pocket every day, and both of the kids still have their coin they took from there too). I'm glad you started this thread paris1time, we've all really enjoyed sitting here talking about back in the day! :D

cachemates
10-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Kirby Landing Cache.
September 29, 2003

this was the first cache find for us. it was harder to find than I thought it would be. only had my gps for a couple of days so have lots to learn. had a really good time looking for it. I just happened to find this web site and saw this cache was hidden only a few miles from home so we tried to find it without a gps with out any luck, so I ordered me a gps and found it today. we took the line level and left a pin from birds and bloom magazine. thanks for the cache. now for the next one.Jerry and Bonnie

kittzle
10-24-2008, 04:02 AM
My first is now archived, which makes me sad

GCKWBF CE #1 - Beware of Flying Saucers by RuffRidr
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=156aea42-17f5-47ab-9c94-142e7926fa3e

November 19, 2005 by kittzle
Yay! My very first find (with the excellent guidance of RazorbackGeek). Much fun, beware of sticker bushes. TN, L hippo to stomp on the flying saucers! Love meter said I was "fine" ;)

Q
10-24-2008, 08:52 AM
August 14, 2006 by Q2
Found him. Our first. Me and my 2 sons, 8 and 2. We tried to ride the bug to another cache, but it would not fit in the other one we found today. So we still have it. Hope to place him in another cache later in the week.

Partially covered the can but put it back where it was. Great place.

Try to write a bit more personal these days.... The birfday bunny got me a gps in July. So by the date above it was HOT! The older kid still remembers my shirt actually dripping with sweat. Changed at the car cuz we took the scenic route around the hill. After this day the younger kid wanted to "go find a cache" every time he saw a rock outcrop or interesting place to hike.

LuckyoneinAR
10-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I so enjoy reading everyone's post. I just had to post my own first. I was so proud that day! I did not have a GPS yet and literally just got lucky finding the cache after reading the cache page and making a good guess. It's how I picked my geocaching name. I am also lucky because I was later asked to adopt the cache.

GCM26D - Harris Chapel Cemetery

March 16, 2006 - I have graduated from "I'll be lucky to find one" to "Lucky me - I found one!!" - all in one amazing afternoon. It was a wonderful experience. My nephews and I had a great time with our first cache. I do believe we're hooked! TFTC - the log is full - even in the margins! I had to squeeze my name in. Great fun!

TnT
10-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Our first was GCGHQZ - Duckpond Frenzy #1 on November 25th, 2004. It was the first of four we found before buying a GPS. This one was a fake rock.

Our first find. Found it on the way home from Thanksgiving dinner. We were so excited... this is cool.

We're still not too wordy, but do try to say something particular to each cache.

Dentful1
10-25-2008, 08:48 PM
My first find was one of Cachemates caches that make you look stupid. You know...the one that is right in front of you and looking at you but you can't spot it out because it is camoed so well.

Take A Break---by Cachemates---Glenwood, AR

May 13, 2006 by dentful1 (546 found)
Daughter was going to mess with it and I told her not to touch. And then I seen what she was touching and there it was.

I have recently been thinking of going to the "Quapaw House" for a 30 day stay to rid myself of this addiction. http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/5.gifOf course they will ask how it all started and I will tell them it was Jerry's fault. Then they will tell me to stay away from the source of this evil desire. I can't do that, because I won't know what he is coming up with next when I visit his shop. (talking to Jerry in the shop but never making eye contact....eyes are wondering for caches that are in progress)http://bestsmileys.com/eyes/4.gif

legoguys
10-27-2008, 12:45 PM
What a great discussion...

We have come so far since that day at the depot.

First Find: Of Days Gone By... GCQB58

May 19, 2007 by legoguys (753 found)

My sons and I started caching today. This was our first find and we enjoyed the day thoroughly. We are already discussing creating a cache of our own. Thanks to people like you who have gotten this started in our area!!!

Clark~Griswold
10-27-2008, 08:27 PM
We have the same first cache as ORR, which isn't too surprising since it was the only one within 10 miles of Russellville back then. We did manage to find it a few months before he did.
Beaver's Lair
April 27, 2003

This was our first time to go Geocaching. Took us a few minutes to find it, walked passed it once. We can't wait to go find another one. We took the tennis ball and sunglasses. We left some crayons.
We are now hooked to Geocaching!

Looking back, it doesn't seem like a fair trade, but we had two kids and only one item to leave. It *was* a big box of crayons though :)

bluesybreeze
10-29-2008, 06:06 PM
My first cache was Old Ice House on 2/9/08 and I had no clue what geocaching was, my date had the GPSr and he had found a total of 7 caches. We found 2 that day and I was hooked. I think he has about 11 now. :D

My log entry was: "This was a lot of fun, especially with the cache being so small."

flannelman
11-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Here is mine....Landing Zone by Team Panda....

July 8, 2005 by flannelman (534 found)
Got my GPSr today and took the kids out to look for this cache since it it about 1mile from my house. Took a few minutes to figure out how to track a waypoint on my GPSr but once I got that down we had little trouble finding the cache. What a blast!! We signed the log(hope I did it right). First time out and we found it!! I'm gonna love this!!

searcykid
12-06-2008, 09:41 AM
My first find was on February 23, 2007.

It was one of Woodwalker9's caches called Courage.

I did not know Pat or anything about Geocaching except what I had learned from reading the information on Geocaching.Com. I had heard about geocaching from reading an article in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette and since I had always thought treasure hunting would be fun, I decided to see if this new sport would be something I would enjoy.

I did not have a GPSr and did not want to buy one unless I felt it would be a good investment.

I found four caches including one First To Find before I ever bought my first GPSr. I found Woodwalkers Vancancy before anyone else by following the map on GC.Com and being very lucky.

Here is my first log:

COURAGE

February 23, 2007

"Found this cache today. My first find ever. Do not have a gps yet so I had to use all the spoilers, maps, and hints I could get.. Quick find. First place I looked after crossing street.
The log is full. Needs new sheet.
tftc sl"

MathSeeker
01-13-2009, 10:38 PM
The following was my first find log. I'm even more excited and it is still a lot of fun. Geocaching keeps me sane...even though some friends think I've gone crazy. The cache was GC17KCV Jail Time. I have taken a few people there to get them started geocaching. I think I've found my sport!

March 23, 2008 by MathSeeker (563 found)
My first cache! I'm excited....this is fun.

MathSeeker :lol:

edieo
01-15-2009, 06:10 AM
Monday, February 11, 2008
edieo found Gutter Rock (Traditional Cache) this was my first find I really like this game or sport or what every it is I think I might be hooked

gingerose
05-20-2009, 05:36 PM
6/7/2008 GCCC-Fourche Loupe
I read about geocaching in the newspaper and thought it sounded fun. It was great. This is my very first cache. I am off to do another one.

specialteacher
05-20-2009, 08:31 PM
My first cache was on Thanksgiving day. I was out with my sister Gingerose and the rest is history. I love this sport.

11/27/2008 You found Mall Median (Traditional Cache) GC1DX0H
Found this with my sister while she was showing me the geocaching habit she had developed. Well I got the fever and now I am hooked.

pshelto
06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
My first was De Soto Meets the Caddo GCRGC3

January 25 by pshelto (305 found)
Great hide! It took some time but we found it.

I had a broken leg at the time and was out geocaching with a crutch and using a mini-pc. We couldn't figure out how to make it go-to so we just compared the coords it was giving and the coords we needed.

Good times!

chimps8mybaby
06-17-2009, 06:26 AM
I had heard of geocaching but in my mind it was done by gadget freaks somewhere else. I took a GIS course and the teacher was discussing GPS and mention geocaching, then showed us a cache page he had printed......THEN he said there was one behind the truck stop in town. The next morning i went looking before work and all i could find was a lump of wire. I told the teacher what I'd found and he said "Its hanging on a nail behind the building dummy". At lunch Iwent back and found it. I was amazed at all the signatures on the log. It was on then!!!

Breaker Breaker One Nine by ldy_bug (1/1.5) GCP6CK
9/6/2007 by chimps8mybaby
my 1st one!

Spice
04-13-2011, 03:43 PM
I thought I would give this thread a "bump" for a couple of reasons. First, today is the 5th Anniversary of my 1st geocache find and second I thought many new members may have never seen this post buried in all the others. So, once again below is the online log for my 1st find. I invite everyone to share their first online log here too!

April 13, 2006 by paris1time

This was the first cache ddkds and I have found! We just started geocaching. We had a hard time finding it at first, but after I noticed that the coordinates in my GPSr were different than those on the printout from the cache we found it. I downloaded the waypoint and put it on my GPSr, so not sure what was up with that. We found the cache in good shape. We left a Mini-Magic 8 Ball and some silly putty. We took the bracelet left by BPSHideNSeek to have something to remember our first find. We took some pics and I have added them.
TFTC!

DaTexanBoy
04-13-2011, 05:12 PM
I thought this was a pretty cool thread, so I figured I'd share my first find. This cache has since been archived.

http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/icon_smile.gif September 4, 2010 by DaTexanBoy (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=9b1e43cb-9a6a-458c-b6c5-6bd7fa3258e9) (536 found)

This was pretty awesome. I just downloaded this to my iPhone today, and can already tell this geocaching will be addictive. Had fun doing this for my first one. Didnt really know what to expect. Awesome. http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/icon_smile.gif

Jffok
04-13-2011, 06:57 PM
What a fun thread you have started. Thanks Paris1time.

My first find was a virtual---Sweet Woman GCD38F on 10-24-08 I didn't even own a gps but wanted to find a cache. Took some walking but finally located. My pitiful log was

"found the virtual"

My first actual cache using a gps was -- Battle of Backbone Mountain GCXT1Z on 11-1-08. My log on this cache was not much better

"new at caching and really glad to have found this"

likestocanoe
04-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Our first cache was Cachemates's Take a Break cache in the roadside park near Glenwood...

This is our very first cache and looking back we have to admit that you created a monster (or two) with this cache. We are addicted to geocaching and you are the reason...! I had been trying to get L2C1 interested in geocaching and had been having no luck. I plugged this cache into the gps and dropped the gps into my bag. When we were driving by, I got him to stop and then try and find this cache. It had him scratching his head until he realized that something nearby was not the proper type. His interest was tweaked. It took one more cache out in the middle of Lake Ouachita and you guys had him by the ..... gps.....

We loved it and we love you guys!

likestocanoe gang
Jim, Sandy, and Tanner (The Cocker Spaniel)

ronwhite
04-20-2011, 08:17 AM
My first find was Joe Electric's 1st Times The Charm (GC10GDX), which is now archieved. Here was what I wrote on that first log; "#1 Cache! 1st time to geocache - a lot of fun! Had my 25 yr. old daughter with me. It made an excellent way to spend some time together. Even had some people there playing with their dog help in the find. Was a little off - try @ 20 yards south. This is great!"
I remember that it was a little tough to find since the coords were off a little, but it was such a rush of excitement when we finally uncovered the ammo box. Needless to say, I was hooked!!

captaincooder
04-21-2011, 02:12 AM
My first find was Lake Harrison Trail Cache (GCBC60). As with a large number of my hunts, it was preceded by two DNF's. I recall the regular-sized plastic container being right in the middle of the trail under a tree root, and I still couldn't find it. The recorded logs still sound like something I would post today:

2/03/03: Couldn't find it. I looked all over, but gave up after I got too cold. Will return.
2/06/03: Looked again, but still no luck. Either the geocache is missing or I'm not very good at this game. Will ask for a hint.
2/10/03: Third time is a charm! The rookie scores! Good hide. Now, to make some caches of my own for everyone to enjoy...

Brettp2004
04-22-2011, 09:47 PM
The first I found was Busby Lake (GC10B7G) in Ward. Which I adopted and have it archived right now. I'm trying to come up with another container to prevent it from getting muggled. The original container was getting muggled very quickly. I re-did it once in a way I thought was "unmugglable" but it soon disappeared. I have another idea that should be pretty hard to find. Anyway, here is my log on 03/29/2008:

This is my first found geocache. Pretty neat.

drmo913
05-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Our first find was "Magnolia at Chestnut" (http://coord.info/GC17W2J) by BSA534 on June 23, 2008. The log reads:
"Extremely Excited! First Find! Choose this one because it appeared to be the easiest find. My wife and I found this together tonight. TFTC!"

topkitty98
05-04-2011, 12:54 AM
markrocks916 and I found:
GCG5K4 Serenity Garden Revisited by bebopishere
Funny thing is that bebop lives less than a mile or so from us and we never knew him. Then we met them and Mark became friends with their daughter. Last year she helped me place our family ad in his classmates' Senior yearbook. Oh, how this small geocaching world has helped us heal --

http://www.geocaching.com/images/icons/icon_smile.gif 07/30/2003
Wow! Our first cache! We have to visit this location on a regular basis(the business) and had no idea this inside outside existed! We are now hooked on the sport -- thanks so much! Took the brown rock, left a 2003 penny and a Louisiana quarter. Not much stuff in the box.

Hotdogs_Off_Trail
05-07-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't do a lot of postings, and because we only get to visit the Natural State a couple times/year, I usually just stay in the background. But I enjoy this thread....Our first cache find was in Wisconsin back in 2002, Rocky Arbor (GCFBA)

January 19, 2002 by Hotdogs_Off_Trail (http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=da134497-c498-47ff-a449-acfddd5b5f62) (1040 found)

A beautiful winter's day for a hike in the woods. Our first find (found by Bonnie - she made me write this) was a great one. A 2 inch cover of snow made the rocky scenery even more beautiful, although added a degree of slipperiness to the off trail portion. It took us a while to poke around until we actually found the cache. Still in good condition. We wrote in the log, took a couple tic tacs, and left our namesakes - 2 plastic hotdogs. Another great reason to hike in the woods. We loved it!
Hotdogs_Off_Trail - Bonnie, Jeff, Madison & Murray

A great way to get introduced to geocaching. In March of that year we made our first vacation to the Ozarks of Arkansas, and by seeking out 10 of the 11 caches I had printed out, we fell in love with Arkansas. (WE plan on retiring near Mountain Home, hopefully soon.) By finding those 10 caches, out of 54 in the whole state at that time, we were in the top 25% of Arkansas geocachers for a while.

Geocaching has come a long ways since then. Keep up the good work Arkansas geocachers, and thanks for putting out those caches for the rest of us to find. We have placed 4 near Mountain Home that are monitored locally by the Cachecrazies. Happy Trails!!

geofinder24
05-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Here is the log of my first find!!! Really didn't expect to still be doing it this long. Thought the fun would wear off, but it hasn't! Gets more fun every time!!!

"GeoFinder24 found Cobblestone Cache

This was my first find! Included in hunt was myself, wife, son, bro-in-law, sis-in-law, 2 nephews and niece. Live in Arkansas, came to OK to visit in-laws. This was the first geocaching trip for all involved. Way more fun than expected! TFTC!!! TSLSSL"