PDA

View Full Version : Are You An EarthCache Master?

BSA534
09-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Are you an EarthCache Master?
Do you know how to become one?

Here are the Master Level requirements:

http://rock.geosociety.org/earthcache/pageGraphics/bronzePin.gif
Bronze Earthcache Master
Visit and log three (3) or more Earthcaches in two (2) or more states/countries.

http://rock.geosociety.org/earthcache/pageGraphics/silverPin.gif
Silver Earthcache Master
Visit and log six (6) or more Earthcaches in three (3) or more states/countries and have developed one (1) or more Earthcaches.

http://rock.geosociety.org/earthcache/pageGraphics/goldPin.gif
Gold Earthcache Master
Visit and log twelve (12) or more Earthcaches in four (4) or more states/countries and have developed two (2) or more Earthcaches.

http://rock.geosociety.org/earthcache/pageGraphics/platinumPin.gif
Platinum Earthcache Master
Visit and log twenty (20) or more Earthcaches in five (5) or more states/countries and have developed three (3) or more Earthcaches.

Please note that you can not claim Earthcaches that you have personally developed as a "logged Earthcache". They will only process applications that provide us ALL the information, including the country and state in which the EarthCaches were located.

To receive your Earthcache Master pin, you'll need to complete the EarthCache Masters Application Form. Once checked and approved, they will send your pin to you by mail.

You can learn more about EarthCaches by visiting www.earthcache.org (http://url)

Here is a list of EarthCaches in Arkansas:
Black Gold - Boom Town Historical Site by tantillos.com
Blanchard Springs Caverns Cave/Karst Feature by Jarihend
Seven Springs Park Hydrologic Feature by Jarihend
Shiny Rocks - Crater of Diamonds Mining Site by coachgregc
Skullcrusher Rapids River Feature by ar_kayaker
Tah-Ne-Co Hydrologic Feature by BiT

ShadowCachers
09-18-2008, 04:18 AM
Hopefully after this weekend i will be a Bronze EarthCache Master. I once completed 5 Earthcaches in one day and it took over 8 hours and around 7 mile hike. Anybody ever in SouthEastern Ohio go to Old Mans Cave. very beautiful place.

oenavigator
09-18-2008, 01:16 PM
We received our bronze level pin awhile back. Currently working towards silver. I'm just waiting for approval of our cache permit and then we'll start hunting some more EarthCaches. They're a lot of fun and it would be great to see some more in Arkansas.

oenavigator
10-02-2008, 10:41 PM
We just had our first EarthCache published! :D Check it out:

Natural Dam EarthCache (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9ea83447-7f98-401c-b016-b7e6dc867dab)

Look for more coming!

BSA534
10-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Thats just awesome! Hope I get to visit it someday!

oenavigator
10-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks! :D Don't forget that October 12th is the 3rd International EarthCaching Day. So celebrate by visiting an EarthCache or developing one.

QuartzCachers
10-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Hey guys! I just looked at the webpage for Natural Dam Earthcache. It looks awesome! I can't wait to do it! Good job! :D :D :D

oenavigator
10-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks Bruce!! :D

BSA534
06-11-2009, 10:19 PM
I received my bronze earthcache master pin in the mail today. Now we've got to develop and place our own to earn the next level.

Spice
06-12-2009, 07:48 AM
We found our first two Earthcaches while in TN for GeoWoodstock VII. We now need to find one here in our home state and we will quality for the Bronze. Not sure if I will ever get the chance to develop and publish and earthcache.

B62GTAWK
06-12-2009, 08:24 AM
Submitted for my Bronze Pin this morning. Don't know about the next level we will be looking for a great place to place an Earthcache and try for it.

arkfiremedic
06-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Does this cost anything or require some sort of membership? I have two in two different states so I could be close to the bronze level myself.

Nukeworker
06-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We didn't know that this existed. We submitted for our bronze pin this morning. Only need to find one more and create one to move up to the siver level. We'll have to get busy. Thanks again, Nukeworker and Racquetball Girl

grzz51
06-12-2009, 05:05 PM
There is another EarthCache, located in the vicinity of the Louisiana Purchase Monument. It is GC1NK79 A Point of Origin by ar_kayaker.
I tried the link at the top of the page and got an error message.
My submission for the Bronze pin has been made and I'm waiting patiently :D

BSA534
06-12-2009, 09:16 PM
No there is no cost at all. You don't even have to pay for the pin. Just fill out the form and they will check it and mail you your pin and a sticker for your car.

Glad I moved this to the top again, should mean some new earthcaches to hunt!

cfd29
06-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I am going to file for our Bronze, and am currently working on an Earthcache for Johnson County, if I can get it published I can go for the Silver, I have been looking at the route to GWS 8, If we get to go, there sure are a lot of Earthcaches along to route ....

Ashallond
06-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Wife and I plan to take my 2 year old to see Natural Dam tomorrow.
and hey...two caches up there. one regular, and one Earthcache.

Also, there's two EC's within 45 minutes of Fort Smith just over into Oklahoma.

BSA534
06-13-2009, 04:21 PM
I just saw this on the Earthcache forum on gc.com. Better hurry:

Due to financial and administrative constraints, we are sad to announce that from 1 August 2009 we will no longer be sending out Bronze and Silver pins to EarthCache Masters recipients. Gold and Platinum pins will continue to be sent out until further notice.

All EC masters recipients will be sent an icon image that they can add to their profiles when they submit for a level from 1 August.

Ashallond
06-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Did Natural Dam today (water was ROARING over the fall today) and plan to do the two nearby in OK before end of June. First two weeks of july, I will be going to visit inlaws in Kentucky, and have already found three more that I can do on the way/nearby.

Which means to get a silver level before August 1, I need to find a cache to create....problem is I can't think of any unique/interesting land features near Fort Smith.

Guess I'll need to call around to a few people see if they can find anything.

My wife teachers middle school science, and does some earth science lessons, so pictures that i can take of these places actually can help her in her lessons.

So, anyone on the west side have any suggestions of anything intersting I could look into? :wink:

BSA534
06-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I'd suggest calling the park interpreter at Lake Fort Smith State Park and asking them for an idea or 2. I'll bet there is something there that would qualify. If you look over the site there are many different options for earthcaches.

B62GTAWK
06-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Greyson and I went to the Historic Rush Mining District in the Buffalo National River up by Buffalo Point today. I believe I can make this one happen. A cacher named Terrydad who has several earthcaches in Yellowstome has been a big help.

Ashallond
06-14-2009, 11:22 PM
was digging around some web pages, and maybe....maybe found one closer than Lake Fort Smith. Need to go look at it, and see if it's .1 mile away from a cache I KNOW is near there.

ShadowCachers
06-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm already a bronze and in couple weeks after my Earthcache in Cabot gets posted I will be a silver. I'm already working on my gold one, I got two earthcaches in Hartford CT today. Plan on going after three more tomorrow and have 2 mapped out in Maine to accomplish in the next couple days. I also have one mapped out to get on my way back to Arkansas in KY and PA at gettysburg battle field. After its all said and done I should have like 18 in 6 or 7 different states. I also have an area in Ohio picked out for another earthcache. I love earthcaches

Nukeworker
06-20-2009, 08:35 PM
We submitted our information for the bronze pin on June 12th and it arrived today. We would have been willing to pay for this award if they were going to continue this program. The pin is great. Thanks again for posting this information.

B62GTAWK
06-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Got my Bronze Pin today as well. I have begun work on an Earthcache at Rush on the Buffalo river.

Ashallond
06-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Got a spot near FS lined up, just need one last permission from a director who doesn't come back in town until Tues. Hopefully I'll be submitting on Tues. night.

Ashallond
06-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Earthcache submitted. Now the wait begins.

When this gets approved, there will be 5 within a 50 mile radius of Fort Smith, 3 of them in Oklahoma, which would get you Bronze level. In fact, even without mine, you can get Bronze level around here by doing the Natural Dam earthcache, and then two of the three EC's on Oklahoma.

*EDIT*

Took less than 24 hours to get approved. Guess they aren't as backlogged as they said they were.

Arkansas's newest Earthcache: Braided Stream (GC1V51D)

Enjoy.

oenavigator
06-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Wow! :D That looks awesome. I can't wait until our next trip to FS so we visit. Thanks.

Ashallond
06-25-2009, 07:25 PM
What surprises me is that Arkansas only has 9 Earthcaches.

You'd figure living in the 'Natural State' we'd have more.

and thanks. :)

BSA534
07-03-2009, 07:22 PM
I went out and turned in my permit application at Woolly Hollow State Park for an Earthcache. As luck would have it, the cacher who is in charge of the Parkcache program was there at the office. He liked my idea. Hopefully the folks at earthcache.org will too. I've got to wait until he sends me my permit number before I can submit it. I have a good idea, just got to make sure I write it up from the right angle to get it approved.

gingerose
07-03-2009, 07:28 PM
I just submitted my first attempt at creating an earthcache. Now I just have to wait and see. :? :o :)

Ashallond
07-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Completed my 3rd EC today, of course can't submit it due to groundspeak being down, and plan to do 3-4 more while I'm in KY so I can submit bronze and silver fairly close to each other. Would have already submitted bronze if the site was up

gingerose
07-07-2009, 01:49 PM
My earthcache was accepted and now we have another Earthcache in the Hot Springs Area. I am so excited. Now, I wonder who will be the first to Find!!!!

Likestocanoe
Mr.bb
Quartzcacher
Cachemates
??????

Come and get it!!!!!!!

HikerRon
07-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I went on an Earthcache binge over the 4th of july weekend, found 7 earthcaches. Drove up thru MO and crossed the river at Cairo, then back down thru KY and Tn and MS. All the ECs were along the Mississippi River.
1 in Tn, 3 in KY, 2 in IL, and 1 in MS.
Also added 2 states to my geo-map.
Fun trip.

Ashallond
07-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Finished my sixth EC during my vacation (I'll beposting on that when it's over) and submitted both bronze & silver together right after each other.

grzz51
07-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I just got my Bronze Master packet today. I was under the impression that there was a pin involved, but all I got was a sticker and a piece of paper :( How about anyone else.......what did you get?

MathSeeker
07-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I got my bronze the early part of June. I got the paper, a sticker, and a pin.

grzz51
07-08-2009, 09:48 PM
MMMMmmmmmmm, maybe they decided to discontinue the pin early :?:

gingerose
07-09-2009, 05:45 AM
Oh, I hope not. I submitted for my bronze a few weeks ago and my silver this week.

Ashallond
07-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Hmmmm, I'll wait to see what I get if I have no pins, then I'm gonna fuss on the GS forums. I did them all quickly for the sole purpose of getting the pins.

grzz51
07-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I think I'll contact the people at Earthcache and tell them what happened :idea:

redink
07-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I recieved my bronze pin some time back. I would not have known about
it, until Oenavigators shoved me in the right direction. :P
Thanks Chris and family

idratherbehiking
07-09-2009, 08:55 PM
I actually just found my first earthcache (GC1V236) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=0165f5ab-c706-477a-ba62-75a1aff3ade4&log=y) a couple of weeks ago in Springfield Missouri. This one is at a really neat place so if you get a chance you have got to go do this one. It's right in town in a very nice park that I am told a lot of the locals don't even know the caves are there. I actually ran into a man and his 4 year old son. The little boy saw my gps and asked what I was doing so I explained geocaching to them. While we were talking another group of young boys with their fathers walked up and we began talking to them about it too. they were all really interested so we waked back down the trail to another cache I had already found so they could see a real cache. There was a total of 14 boys ages 4 through 8 and 4 of their dads. Several of them were very interested and I gave them all an ArkGeo brochure and my email address. So far 2 of the dads have contacted me with questions. So that turned out to be a great geocaching adventure. The boys really loved it.

I then found another one (GC120K5) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=cf2e4cb5-ef7f-4250-be5e-4a34d4ae635b&log=y) about 2 hours later in Ozark , Missouri.

I have to go work in Roland, OK in a couple of weeks and plan on getting the one in Ft Smith and the one at Natural Dam. I will probably make a run one day and grab three more over in Oklahoma. I am trying to put one together also so that will put me at a silver real soon. I don't know why I have not done any of the others yet but I will probably take some road trips this summer to go do some more in other places.

I really like the Earthcaches and I agree that as Arkansas is "The Natural State" we should have a lot more.

MathSeeker
07-09-2009, 09:18 PM
grzz51 what did the paper say? My paper said You are a Bronze level EarthCache Master. Enclosed is your Bronze EarthCache Master Pin. It also told the requirements for the Silver.

grzz51
07-10-2009, 04:11 AM
Thats what mine said too but there was only the paper and a sticker for your car...........no pin. I looked on the earthcache site but no way to contact them. OH well :?

gingerose
07-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Here is an email address that you could try. It was on the Earthcache website under guidelines for submittal. They may know something or be able to provide you with contact information.

earthcache@geosociety.org

OR

the Geological Society of America is the organization that Earthches go through and their phone number is 1-303-357-1000.

Hopefully, you can get somewhere with these. Let us know.

Gingerose

grzz51
07-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

ShadowCachers
07-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Just submitted an earthcache in the cabot area. It everything goes as planned it should post day after the cito event.

ShadowCachers
07-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Yeah!!!! My first EC has posted in Cabot area. I temp disabled it for the cito event at the earthcache tomorrow. That way I can draw names for the FTF on the CITO and EC cache.

BSA534
07-17-2009, 07:52 PM
I just submitted my Earthcache for Whooly Hollow State Park. When I pasted my word doc into the form it stripped out the CRs and such. I didn't realized I wouldn't be able to edit it like you can a regular cache. Oh well, maybe I can fix it later.

gingerose
07-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Okay figure this out.

I applied for my bronze about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I not received it nor heard anything about it.
I applied for my silver 1 1/2 weeks ago and it came in the mail today. Yeah!!!!

Ashallond
07-20-2009, 09:55 PM
I can't figure that one out, but I got both my bronze and silver in the mail today (with pins) I submitted them on the 6th or 7th of this month, and they were mailed out on the 17th.

Now need to find 6 more to get to gold. and make a second EC.... hmmm.....

Ashallond
08-13-2009, 07:48 PM
2 more EC's in Arkansas came online today.

One by WW, and one by me.

I have plans for one more up in Bella Vista, and then I may pause on making EC's for a while....you only have to create three to be able to get platinum earthcache master...along with finding 20 of them in 5 states.

gingerose
08-16-2009, 07:05 AM
I resubmitted for my bronze and it came in the mail the other day.

I am working on another EC now for my gold.

Ashallond
08-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Good. I need to find 6 more to be able to get my gold. need more in western arkansas that are close-ish to me. :)

Honestly, I'm surprised there aren't more EC's in Arkansas. Still.

Geezer_Veazey
08-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I recently applied for my bronze level pin and got an email back that they are no longer giving out pins and they included html code I could use. This is a much better reward imo. I could only show my pin to a few people but I can splash this all over the internet.

Ashallond
08-17-2009, 09:38 PM
I dunno. I love my shiny bronze/silver pins I busted my tail to get before the deadline.

However that is a nice little logo.

Ashallond
08-22-2009, 11:38 AM
It gets worse...posted yesterday:

As part of the wind back of the handing out of physical pins, we are sad to announce that from 15 September 2009 we will no longer be sending out Gold pins to EarthCache Masters recipients. Platinum pins will continue to be sent out indefinitely.

EarthCache Masters coins - one for each level - will be on sale in the EarthCache.org store by the end of September.