PDA

View Full Version : ARKANSAS PODCAST- Good or Bad Idea?

ShadowCachers
08-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Currently doing some research on starting an Arkansas Podcast and from what I have learned its not to hard. Its all in the thinking process. I was thinking maybe have a section during the podcast for information from the ARKGEO board and any news they want relayed out to everybody. If anybody has an idea to add please do. I have heard from cachers in other states refure to Arkansas as one of the best states for caching. So I think we should start a podcast dedicated to caching in the Natural State. Love to get feedback.

BSA534
08-28-2008, 08:09 PM
I think its a good idea. I listen to pretty much all of the (English speaking) geocaching podcasts so of course I'd listen. I'd even be interested in helping out where I could.

Tim

AR-HICK
08-28-2008, 10:21 PM
I second that. I think it is a great idea.
BSA534 are you Volunteering :?: :?:

In my opinion Go For It.
I don't have a MP3 player, but I could listen to it from my computer, could we get it on 8-track?

ShadowCachers
08-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Curious what listeners would like to here on a Arkansas Geocaching PodCast. Brainstorming for Ideas.

Gaddiel
08-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Here are some ideas:

- Short interviews with Arkansas geocachers
- News that relates to Arkansas geocaching
- "Sound bite" greetings from geocachers across the state
- Interesting Arkansas places to geocache (lesser known areas)
- Upcoming significant events and other happenings around the state
- Tips for geocaching responsibly
- Geocaching hardware and software reviews (GPSrs, PDAs, etc.)
- Unusual geocaching stories or hunts

ShadowCachers
08-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Thank you for your input. That helps me out greatly. I'm not sure how soon this will launch but all the input helps. I might need some cachers in differnt areas of the state to help with interviews. I'm going to start pricing the programs and voice recorders that can be used for the interviews. Again thanks for the input

TnT
08-29-2008, 03:55 PM
One of the best geocaching podcasts I ever listened to was when the folks at Maine PodCache interviewed their reviewer.

Getting to hear the reviewers viewpoint was really interesting. Another interesting point is that at that time Maine's reviewer was from South Carolina.

Who would like to hear Chuck Walla's viewpoints??

ShadowCachers
08-29-2008, 04:05 PM
This is great! Keep all the input coming. I'm new to the PodCast thing but I think its going to be alot of fun..

BSA534
08-29-2008, 08:52 PM
I've heard the single most important piece of equipment is a good mic. Some of the podcasts I listen to are just almost unlisten-able due to the really bad sound quality of their equipment. Cali Lewis from the geekbrief podcast mentioned a "Podcaster in a box" type thing. She didn't give it the highest review, but then again her podcast is pretty high-end. The software just about everyone uses is audacity (sp?). I'm pretty sure its free for non-commercial use.

As for content, ExtremeTrek would be a good interview since he's with the state parks. I think interviews with organizers of upcoming events would be great.

ShadowCachers
08-29-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking this project might not be perfect right at start. I'm sure with little time and some good advice from the listeners it will be perfect. Alot of work and planning to be done. Keep the ideas coming..

BSA534
08-30-2008, 07:27 AM
I did a little research on the Podcast in a Box and I don't think its what you'd want for what you are wanting to do. Its more for a college professor to record his lectures and post them online. Plus, it looks expensive for what you get.

ShadowCachers
08-30-2008, 08:11 AM
I have been checking out this location for PodCasting information.
http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/podcasting/howto.php

BSA534
08-30-2008, 08:58 PM
One thing I've heard on one of the shows is they do a "cache of the month" feature. They take nominations from their forum and they talk about the winning cache. Sometimes the host (or someone else) actually records themself going out and finding the cache. Just a thought.

ShadowCachers
08-30-2008, 10:18 PM
I have thought of that and I thought about maybe doing it at night. Maybe do some grave yards or a midnight cache spree.

QuartzCachers
08-31-2008, 04:17 PM
I had though of that as well. In Hot Springs though, you should stay out of the cemeteries at night, or you may well add one more place you wouldn't have ever seen if not for geocaching...JAIL!
Seriously, I think this would be a great feature of the podcast. I am excited about the prospect of this. Keep up the good work guys, great idea! :D :D :D