PDA

View Full Version : What does your handle mean?

gespurr
08-17-2008, 08:20 AM
I was reading 2 emails from ShadowCachers (as I'm tracking a couple of his recent caches and he nabbed my TB :)) and now.. I have that 70's Disco song "ShadowDancing" going through my head... and my twisted brain that it is is trying hard to slaughter the lyrics to fit ShadowCachers.

Anyway, this made me wonder what the meaning is behind some of our handles? Is there a story behind it?

Mine is pretty easy.. I'm Emily. My husband is George (hence the g and e). Our last name starts with Spurr.... Yup. Pretty cut and dry :)

~Em
(and Nora too)

ShadowCachers
08-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Our handle use to be ryanandtamilehman. After finding 200 caches I came to the conclusion that our name was to personal and to long. Got writers cramp signing logs and try to fit ryanandtamilehman on a bison log.
So I started brainstorming for a new name. Well we went caching at dark one night. My son Zach thought he saw a shadow while in a cemetery and I said the olny shadow you see is use sneaking in for the cache. So we became the ShadowCachers.

searcykid
08-17-2008, 09:48 AM
I started using the Username of SEARCYKID about 5 years ago when I tried to sign up with EBAY and had tried about 7 or 8 other log in names without success and finally tried the name SEARCY which also came back "already taken".
I had just bought my first computer shortly before this and had been pestering one of my younger co-workers trying to learn all I could about this new fangled contraption when he finallly said, "Your are like a KID with a new toy."

So I was the searcy kid with a new toy, although I was 65 years old.

So I added the KID to SEARCY as a kind of joke and it was accepted. I've used the Username of SEARCYKID for most of my log ins ever since and have never gotten a "aleardy taken" notification.

QuartzCachers
08-17-2008, 10:15 AM
This is an interesting thread, gespurr. I had wondered about your geoname as well. Mine is pretty simple. I live right smack dab in the middle of quartz country. The Coleman's of quartz mining fame are good friends of ours, and they actually have the quartz license plates. The day we went up on Ouachita Pinnacle in search of our first cache, we didn't know that there was a geo name thing to this, and we just signed the log Bruce and Denise from Jessieville. We wondered who these strange names, like flannelman and Old River Runner that were on the logbook belonged to, and we soon figured out that we should come up with our own name. I knew that I was hooked right then, so by the time we had come off the mountain and made it home, we had decided on something about the area we were from. At first we thought of crystalcachers, but thought that might have too much drug reference associated with it. So then we came up with QuartzCachers, and that's what we logged our first find with. That was last March and I had never even been on this newfangled internet thingy as of yet! We haven't looked back since, and I really like our name, especially when I go to sign a micro log and just put QC! Most everybody knows who that is by now, so I haven't had any trouble with it. Cache on! :D :D :D

Howlingmoon
08-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I've been Howlingmoon (Wolvespirit) since 2001, when I made a Wood Elf Druid in EverQuest I. I've loved Wolves for a long time, so I wanted a nickname that had Wolves all through it. It just kinda happened from there. Last year, I got my first tattoo which tis my nickname's initials, HW. hehe I would love to eventually get my middle name changed to Howlingmoon Wolvespirit.

scoutfrog
08-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Mine is kind of simple too. When I switched internet providers the name I was using, Amphibian53, was taken. So I wnet back to my roots(all the way back to Magnet Cove High School 1985, and my nickname there"FROG") plus I'm an active scoutleader. So 6years later when I go to sign up I stuck with it.

BSA534
08-17-2008, 03:35 PM
BSA=Boy Scouts of America - 534 = The troop where I'm Scoutmaster.

idratherbehiking
08-17-2008, 04:30 PM
I think mine speaks for itself although since I discovered geocaching I don't do near as much hiking as I used to.

TnT
08-17-2008, 05:01 PM
First, a little geocaching.com history lesson for the new cachers.

Back when we signed up, in 2004, you could go to gc.com at any time and change your user name. Simply fill out an online form, hit submit, and your name change was propogated to all your past logs.

Then, sometime in 2006, geocaching had gotten much bigger and this was evidently causing too much of a load on groundspeak's servers. So, they announced a moratorium -- you have until xxx date (don't remember it for sure) to change your user name, if desired, then no more.

It wasn't until late last year, or earlier this year that they started allowing us to request a name change by emailing the fine folks at groundspeak.

Anyway, when we signed up, we had a cat called Kozmo. We finally settled on the name TeamKozmo, the name by which we still go at tc.com.

As the moratorium was approaching, we had gotten a new kitten. We didn't want him to feel left out, so we started brainstorming. Another factor was that around this time, the nano cache was appearing everywhere and the shorter we could make our name, the easier to sign those little things. Remember, initials only on nano caches. Eventually, we decided that we would go by TnT for Taz and Tweety, our favorite Bugs Bunny characters. Since TnT was taken (but never used), we filled out the online form and changed our name to *TnT*, adding the asterisks to basically get the name we wanted.

And there, as Paul Harvey would say is "The rest of the story"

Great thread by the way. Could make for some interesting reading.

GeoJeepers
08-17-2008, 07:00 PM
You know, we were just sitting here talking about where some of these names came from, and BEHOLD 8O here we can learn all about it! So now that we've learned a little we'll tell ours too. Of course, GeoJeepers doesn't take much imagination, Mrs GeoJeeper has a Liberty and I have an old CJ-7 money pit :wink: but the other part of the story is that a Jeep magazine is actaully where we first read about Geocaching and led us to find the State Quarters Cache in Riverside Park back in 2004. Of course in the article the plan was to use your Jeep vehicle to go to out of the way places and find treasures, and that's what we did the first 3 years of caching (finding a total of about 45 in 3 years). If it wasn't in the woods, we didn't look for it! Now we'll look anywhere! Our son is HondaCacher (he thinks about his Honda Civic all the time :P ) and our daughter is LilCacheMonkey because if you aren't keeping an eye on her she'll be in the middle of everything like a little monkey!.

gespurr
08-18-2008, 12:57 AM
I had NO idea the 3 of you were related! wow!

He hasn't registered here yet (he still plans to!) but My husband is Old_Pines (who has hidden "Two in the Bush" that MANY of you found today 8O )

Dentful1
08-18-2008, 01:58 AM
Well....this one will make you all laugh.
I had a 1997 Chevrolet Extended Cab emerald green in color. Bought it brand new my Senior year in High School. I made it into a simple show truck. 2-4 drop, bed cover, cat eye front bumper, billet grill, roll pan and 15x10 American Racing wheels cover with 275/60-15's. It was the only modified truck in the area for a while, everybody else around here had 4x4's with lifts and mud tires. I kept it real clean until we played rabbit. I got my first dent in it and it was all down hill from there. Got another dent and than another. Just stopped caring about how good it looked. I was being a typical country boy in a non-typical country truck running the back roads at 90 MPH...in a show truck 8O . I have pics of the before and after and than after I fixed it back up to trade off. Man, I was young and stupid but I did enjoy every minute of it.

Hence the name DENTFUL1

majii
08-18-2008, 07:29 AM
I kinda wish I had a good story to go with my username, but in actuality it's just my initials and my generation. But at least it's nice and short and easy to write on logs.

OldRiverRunner
08-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I love to raft the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon and have done it 8 times since 1986.

Hence, the name "River Runner". However, this was not available on geocaching.com, so on a whim, I added "Old", since I will never outgrow it (as opposed to "Young River Runner")! That is, until I die, and then I'll become Dead River Runner.

My avatar uses the state flag of Arizona, which is, of course, the Grand Canyon State.

Old River Runner

cfd29
08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Well, ours is pretty simple also, when we were on vacaton in FL and found our first cache, I went to register and all I could think on was my call sign with the Clarksville Fire Dept. Hence CFD29
Been that ever since, and it is easy to log

Spice
08-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Many of you know I am in law enforcement and I recently worked for the Paris Police Department (Arkansas not France).

I once went to a course on Gangs and learned that in large cities the police were sometimes referred to as the "one time". Trust me, I have been called much worse. The police were called this because in the bad neighborhoods they expected to only see the police patrol through their neighborhood one time during an 8 hour shift.

When I was choosing my handle since I worked in Paris that is the "paris" then I added the gang nickname and changed it to "1time" therefore you have "paris1time".

B62GTAWK
08-19-2008, 06:15 AM
When I picked my handle I wanted all my family members to be represented. So my wife and I wrote done everyones initials and the name poped out of that. 6 B's, 2 G's , TAWK Thus B62GTAWK. Some have thought it was a HAM radio handle but I believe it has too many characters. Thanks for the thread.

flannelman
08-19-2008, 07:19 AM
This is a fun thread that is recycled from time to time. Mine is from back in high school but was just a family nickname. I used to wear blue jeans and a Tshirt all the time and when the weather got cooler I'd add a plaid flannel shirt to the mix. I always got those shirts for Christmas and would be disappointed if I didn't find one under the tree. So since I always had one of those shirts on, and still do often, when I would visit my older sister she would say, "Hey, here comes flannelman." It kinda developed into a mock superhero thing and we had a lot of fun with it. Now she calls me bigfoot because we rarely see each other because of my busy schedule. She says I'm harder to spot than bigfoot now!!

HikerRon
08-19-2008, 09:25 AM
"HikerRon'' came about when i lived in Colorado and made 18 trips total to the summits of 12 different 14,000 Ft peaks. but now that i've had 2 knee surgeries, and gained 20 lbs, and moved back to practically sea-level, i couldnt hike up a flight of stairs in Colorado without stopping to rest:)

topkitty98
08-19-2008, 05:40 PM
When my school district tried to push all of us screaming and kicking into the 21st century with this internet thing, I had to think up a name for my email address. I tried kitty, kitty, kitty - taken. kitty3 - taken. topcat - taken. So I went to topkitty because I am always telling the kids in my class that I am the queen and monarch of all I survey (yeah, right.) I added the 98 because I had to give a motivational speech when I won an award in the district in 1998.

markrocksinheavennow - Mark, our son, used to call himself a loner and wanted an email address that was Loners Rock! to which I said no thank you, because you rock more. So he became markrocks916 - his birthday. When he died, I considered markrocksinmyheart but decided on markrocksinheavennow because I can assure you, he not only is rocking up there, he is shaking, rattling, and rolling all over Heaven!

maumellean
08-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Mine is pretty simple. I lived in Maumelle, AR when I started geocaching, hence my name. I've since moved to Little Rock, however.

Spice
08-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Mine is pretty simple. I lived in Maumelle, AR when I started geocaching, hence my name. I've since moved to Little Rock, however.

What is someone from Little Rock called?

Little Rockeans?

ShadowCachers
08-21-2008, 09:07 PM

Little Rockeans?

I guess that would make me Wardean sense I'm from Ward

OldRiverRunner
08-22-2008, 05:48 AM

Little Rockeans?

Wouldn't it be "Rock1time"? :D

gespurr
08-22-2008, 09:08 AM

Little Rockeans?

Wouldn't it be "Rock1time"? :D

:lol:

rklmbl
08-22-2008, 09:36 AM
When we joined Groundspeak, we weren't aware that you were supposed to have some exotic, catchy name. :) Our daughter was doing the typing for us, and we were in a hurry to find our first geocache in Grapevine, TX, therefore, we just used our initials. Not a very exciting story, but it's the best we can do on an August day. ;)

Nukeworker
08-22-2008, 08:20 PM
My name is pretty easy to figure out: I've worked in 5 different Nuclear power plants over the last 30+ years. If I had to do it over, I'd have a shorter handle since we have now signed over 1100 logs. I started out signing Nukeworker and Wife, but changed it to Nukeworker and Racquetball Girl. We enjoy playing Racquetball together, averaging 4 or 5 hours per week. That's my pet name for Sue, but an awful lot to write on logs! Nukeworker and Racquetball Girl, aka: Ken and Sue

gespurr
08-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Hooooboy.

I'm tired.

I at first thought the first 'k' in your name was a 'd' and thought to myself "OMG.. I HAAAAVE to read this!!"

:oops:

QuartzCachers
08-23-2008, 04:31 PM
OMG!!! EEEK!! HAHA! :o :o :o

scoutfrog
08-23-2008, 05:39 PM
You're not tired, you were just thinking of someone else. Here is a link to HIS profile page, cover the young ones eyes! 8O
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=4e55ac18-2926-4b16-8edc-99c45925303b
You may have to copt and paste, Sometimes I don't do it right.

Dentful1
08-23-2008, 07:31 PM
:lol: It takes all kinds to make this world go around. I guess we have to let them geocache to. That is sooooooooooooo funny scoutfrog. I am curious if you know this cacher personally and do you cache with him?? 8O

scoutfrog
08-23-2008, 08:03 PM
No, sorry, I don't know or cache with him. I just read about him on one of the forums and thought I give everyone a "smiley" of a different kind.

GeoJeepers
08-24-2008, 07:27 AM
That was too much information! I noticed he had a bookmark list for nude friendly caches and hikes....I can just imagine the mental scars from running into something like that out on the trail :oops: :o . I bet it would take a while to figure out what to say when you logged your cache visit!

topkitty98
08-24-2008, 02:36 PM
OH MY WORD!!!!

gespurr
08-24-2008, 05:14 PM
:lol: It takes all kinds to make this world go around. I guess we have to let them geocache to. That is sooooooooooooo funny scoutfrog. I am curious if you know this cacher personally and do you cache with him?? 8O

...always in front of him. Never behind.

I just thought.. of..

TICKS 8O

cupstack
08-31-2008, 08:02 AM
Many, many years ago I saw an activity/game/sport on TV and have been hooked ever since. I introduced the activity to the kids at a YMCA I worked at backed then, introduced to a class at college (as part of a speech), to my Girl Scout troop, and to the kids where I work today. The activity/sport has grown since I first found out about it and the name has changed a little (now it is more known as speed stacking). I even have my original sets of cups I bought when it was just getting started. I even carry a miniature set with me.

cupstack

for more information about the sport visit:
http://www.speedstacks.com

SpankytheWizard
09-05-2008, 04:07 PM
It has been a long time since I have looked around the website. Thought I would jump back in by posting to this thread. Just before I started caching I had one coworker who always called me Spanky and another who always referred to me as "The Wizard" because of my IT job where I work. So, I just mashed them together and go by SpankytheWizard (allonewordthankyouverymuch!) or STW when my hand is tired and the skeeters are thick!

cachemates
09-06-2008, 05:47 AM
When we started caching we just used our first names. After a while we decided to change to a new name. We posted here on Ark Geo for suggestions for a new name. Lady Engineer suggested cachemates. That name was already taken but with Capital letters and quotations it was accepted.
As Paul Harvey would say, Now you know the rest of the story.

bluesybreeze
09-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Mine comes from my favorite color, blue, and my favorite music, the blues. I also like to travel and I like the idea of being a breeze that can easily travel from place to place on a colorful chord of music, hence - bluesybreeze

TinmanJones
12-17-2009, 09:51 AM
first let me appologize for bumping alot of old threads to the top... being new around the site, I'm simply pilfering through as many threads I can, to learn ALL I can about you fellow cachers & yalls stories...

as for my name, Tinman Jones, it comes from the name of the band I started, many years ago...

after touring most of the Midwest, North East, & the South... after spending a couple years on the hwy from LA (Lower Akansas) to Nashville, Tn... after signing a record contract & having CDs distributed across the US... & after leaving families for a month at a time, we (Tinman Jones) decided it was time to come home & get "real" jobs & make "real" money...

Tinman Jones disbanded Dec. 31, 2004...

since then, I've tried to keep the name alive, & the mission the same...

my son , Noah (12yrs), has adopted the name Juan Pablo... he said that's what the kids at school call him...

we normally just sign logs as Tinman Jones & Juan Pablo...

so, that's my story & I'm stickin to it...

tinmanjones.com (aka Don)

pshelto
12-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Glad you brought this one back Tinman!

My name comes from my university name. My legal first name starts with a P and my last name is Shelton. The university put the p and the shelton together while dropping the n. Thus came pshelto. That's opposed to psheleto or psheelto. It's pronounced pee-shell-toe. :D

grzz51
12-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Back in the ancient times when I was the Scoutmaster of BSA Troop 13 in Helena, the kids called me Mr Griz because of my full beard. Then when I moved into the computing world I was looking for a name for e-mail and Mr Griz was taken. I was 51 years old at the time and wound up with grzz51. When I started geocaching I stuck with my e-mail name.
When my wife decided to get her own account it was a no-brainer...Mz Grzz.
Using the method discussed earlier I guess I might be......Hell-ean :lol:
Just a note... the preceding name did NOT come out as I typed it. Guess there is some software that I was not aware of 8O

TinmanJones
12-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Back in the ancient times when I was the Scoutmaster of BSA Troop 13 in Helena, the kids called me Mr Griz because of my full beard. Then when I moved into the computing world I was looking for a name for e-mail and Mr Griz was taken. I was 51 years old at the time and wound up with grzz51. When I started geocaching I stuck with my e-mail name.
When my wife decided to get her own account it was a no-brainer...Mz Grzz.
Using the method discussed earlier I guess I might be......heck-ean :lol:
Just a note... the preceding name did NOT come out as I typed it. Guess there is some software that I was not aware of 8O

"Mz Grzz" is awesome... 8)

grzz51
12-17-2009, 10:07 PM
She just asked....How does he know? :o

TinmanJones
12-17-2009, 10:09 PM
She just asked....How does he know? :o

GULP... rut roh... hahaha :lol:

i was just talking about the name, not about the person... hehehe 8O

grzz51
12-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Hey, she is AWESOME!! :D Just can't figure out how she wound up with me :wink:

TinmanJones
12-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Hey, she is AWESOME!! :D Just can't figure out how she wound up with me :wink:

apparently, women dig fellas who can carry a hand held instrument and find tupperware in the woods... :lol:

grzz51
12-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Hmmmmmmmm, and I thought it was my purty black & white motorcycle :oops:

nathan72454
12-18-2009, 10:40 AM
I read this thread a few weeks ago and never posted, but since its alive again I want to share. Mine is pretty well self explanitory, but if you don't know your zipcodes in AR you may not have picked up on it. Believe it or not, my first name is Nathan, and the 72454 is my hometown, Piggott, AR.
Even though it is a small town of 4,000 I still love it very much. I just can't live there. It is way to small for me and nothing for me to do there except visit family, and I can't visit family everyday of my life. They would drive me nuts. lol I like the city. But I miss living in the country. Why can't I have both at the same time? lol

TinmanJones
12-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Hmmmmmmmm, and I thought it was my purty black & white motorcycle :oops:

nope Mr Grzz, it's the skills you hold in your hand & your abilities to find little toys in ammo cans... [:D]

Ashallond
12-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Ashallond (pronounced Ash-uh-lawnd not ash-hal-and) comes from a character I had used as my avatar when I ran a Neverwinter Nights server about 6 years ago. Since then, I've used it for my internet handle in all things that are not work related.

ChuckWalla
12-19-2009, 07:36 AM
My handle comes from a large, fat lizard which lives in the southwestern desert areas, the chuckwalla. I come across these lizards quite often when I visit Arizona. I have no special association with the chuckwalla, except that I think they are neat lizards and I like the name.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/b8220062-5827-41bf-8818-ff3c08d4b738.jpg

arkfiremedic
12-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I thought I had replied to this thread but I guess I dreamed it... (quit laughing)

My name comes from a combination of three things:

(ark) Arkinsaw whur i'm frum.

(fire) cause I can start a mean camp fire.

(medic) cause I need one from time to time.

My daugher's name, 2ter, come from her 'natural' abilities...

grzz51
12-20-2009, 07:46 AM
HMmmmmmm, and I thought you were one of those really nice guys that help people when they are in a really bad way.........lol
Your daughter....I ain't touching that 8O

bmwrider1
12-26-2009, 11:55 PM
I started caching and used the name bmwrider1 because I ride a BMW motorcycle. The family began to cache also and we needed a better name. our little dog is called Rascal and was with us on many of our first caches. Our name became The Rascals. Eddie and Jackie Daniel Prescott

apache_scout
12-29-2009, 03:31 PM
I guess it is time to explain Apache Scout and Sioux-ZQ. I took Apache Scout from the beginning since I have been a teacher at Pottsville for over 25 years. Pottsville has the unlikely and politically incorrect mascot "Apaches." Susan was 2A from the identifying number of her 2nd grade classroom. She was not happy with that handle. A very nice gentleman in one of our "Geocaching for Teachers" classes started referring to her as Miss Sioux and she liked that much better and became Sioux-ZQ after an email request to Groundspeak.
Jim and Susan

drmo913
12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
explanation of drmo913:

dr: i have the goal of eventually getting my phd (though I may be 80 before I finish)

mo: my initials &/or the first 2 letters of my name. a nickname that i've been oft' called since college

913: my birthdate (& I know expect lots of presents in 2010...)

topkitty98
12-30-2009, 06:18 PM
WHOOOOOOOOAAA CHUCK!!!

THAT IS ONE CHUBBY BELLIED LIZARD!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA

mud4x4
12-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Mine is pretty simple.
Wanted something short and easy to write on any log.
And more than likely (if it's just me or the whole mud4x4 crew) we will be driving in one of my 4x4's.
And 4x4's are notorious for 'picking up' mud :D
I like simple, blunt and to the point!

jclaudii
01-01-2010, 12:54 PM
jclaudii & southerngirl

jclaudii comes from a nickname back in high school. There was an old man in town named Claude and when I shaved my head everyone said I looked like him. They started calling me "Claudey" and so I just added the J in front for my name (Jason) and it has stuck ever since.

southerngirl got hers from working at Girl Scout camp. The counselors there have nicknames and her first year there she could not think of a nickname. Some of her co-workers thought she should go with "southerngirl" because, according to them, she was a complete redneck and talked very southern. Her camp name ended up being "Chevy" because she drove a big Z71 truck, but it was taken for geocaching when we registered.

We just had a baby boy last December and have another due anytime now, so often our logs say "+ little cacher". There will probably be a name change in the future for our little family.

crowmountaingirl
01-01-2010, 01:03 PM
My handle is pretty self-explanatory. My daughter (southerngirl) and her husband (jclaudii) got me into caching and after finding my first few I decided to break down and create an account.
I have lived on Crow Mountain my whole life, so this one seemed fitting.

captaincooder
02-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Flannelman was taken. Polyesterfleeceman just didn't sound cool.

Actually, it was my trail name before my geocaching handle. I still think of it more as a generic trailname, though I never was a thru-hiker. It originated as a gross mispronunciation of "Chris." My youngest brother called me something that sounded like "Kwitch" (pronounced with a very exaggerated drawl) when he was a baby. Mom & Dad got a laugh out of it and reminded us as teenagers, so my brother would use it from time to time to be silly. One day at deer camp he called to me, "Hold up, Kwitch!" But I didn't hear him correctly and I thought he said "Cooderwitch." I said, "What did you call me?! Cooderwitch?!" That was so funny to him he laughed until he cried, then somehow mangaged to convince the rest of the family that it was equally funny. Cooderwitch got shortened to Cooder over time. Sorta sounds dorky, like the backwoods car mechanic from Hazzard County, except spelled with a "d" instead of a "t." The "Captain" part was added by the same brother years later, sort of a derogatory connotation, like " Captain Crunch."

And now you know the shame of it all. I could have said it was an infamous pirate...

Hick, are you listening? How'd you get your handle? Surely not the obvious...

astrodav
02-25-2010, 03:52 PM
AstroDav is a portmanteau of "Astronomy" (my lifelong hobby) & "David" (not sure what that means).

I once used Merc4Hire as an internet handle, since I did some mercenary work the year after I left the Army. A "Merc" is a soldier for hire, so the name was fitting. But when I had to give the soldier life up for good, I dropped that name.

And one of those useless tidbits I'm known for:

"Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
Cry Havoc, and let slip the Dogs of War"

Lots of people have read Julius Caesar, but most don't know that Antony was referring to mercenaries when he made this statement after the murder of Caesar.

Roman Legions were largely composed of mercenaries & Antony knew that the "Dogs of War" would soon be unleashed, to seek revenge for the dead Emporer.

TinmanJones
02-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Flannelman was taken. Polyesterfleeceman just didn't sound cool.

Actually, it was my trail name before my geocaching handle. I still think of it more as a generic trailname, though I never was a thru-hiker. It originated as a gross mispronunciation of "Chris." My youngest brother called me something that sounded like "Kwitch" (pronounced with a very exaggerated drawl) when he was a baby. Mom & Dad got a laugh out of it and reminded us as teenagers, so my brother would use it from time to time to be silly. One day at deer camp he called to me, "Hold up, Kwitch!" But I didn't hear him correctly and I thought he said "Cooderwitch." I said, "What did you call me?! Cooderwitch?!" That was so funny to him he laughed until he cried, then somehow mangaged to convince the rest of the family that it was equally funny. Cooderwitch got shortened to Cooder over time. Sorta sounds dorky, like the backwoods car mechanic from Hazzard County, except spelled with a "d" instead of a "t." The "Captain" part was added by the same brother years later, sort of a derogatory connotation, like " Captain Crunch."

And now you know the shame of it all. I could have said it was an infamous pirate...

Hick, are you listening? How'd you get your handle? Surely not the obvious...

Hey Kwitch, that's a great story!

captaincooder
02-26-2010, 11:44 AM
What did you call me?! :lol:

BTW, Tinman Jones is a cool band name 8)

grzz51
02-26-2010, 07:53 PM
If you had seen the shoes Hick had on at the state get-to-gether last year you'd understand 8O

firechief1956
04-10-2010, 05:35 AM
firechief1956 = I am a firechief and I was born in 1956, thus firechief1956

Jffok
04-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Mine too is very simple. The Jff is my first middle and last name. The Ok is the state I am from. When I went on geocaching just to look around I plugged in several names and everything was taken. I only wanted to look around anyway so threw the initals in they worked. I did not realize at the time that I was creating my caching name. I would have given it more thought had I know. But it is easy to sign on the nano's, fast in the field, sought after on bingo at events and works for me. It is also fun because lots of people have mistakenly thought of me as a Jeff.
This is a cool thread.

photojunky
04-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Mine comes from being a photographer for years, now is just a hobby but I still love the art.
My son, lordzodica made his up when he was little and his game character, now he has changed it to cliffmonkey. On one of our cache hunts a friend of ours saw where she thought a cache should be, looked at my son and told him to "get it monkey boy". He loved it, monkeyboy was taken so he settled for and now loves the cliffmonkey title.

HikerRon
04-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Sort of unrelated to this topic, but i saw cacher's name once that i thought
was cool.
He called himself ' WASS Up?' :)

astrodav
04-13-2010, 08:59 PM
It is also fun because lots of people have mistakenly thought of me as a Jeff.

Not me .... I always knew you were a Jerry. :twisted:

Arkienana
06-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I am a grandmother of 7. I first became a grandmother at the age of 38. I loved the babies soo much but hated the idea of be called grandma! I was too young for that. So I told my children that I would rather be called Nana. All seven grandchildren know me as Nana and my hubby as Papa. Whe I registered on geocaching.com I tried just using Nana but it was taken . I then tried Nanabear as one of my grandchildren likes to call me that. Guess what, it was taken too! As a last ditch I tried Arkienana and yay!!! it worked! I like using Arkienana as my handle because whenever I go out of state and sign a log everyone knows where I'm from.

farmnurse
06-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Farmnurse comes from a time when I used to live way out in the country and my profession was as a surgery nurse, I have used it for various things ever since. Have been using it since about 1996 or 97.
Changed my geocaching name to a team name since my husband didnt want his own account. On geocaching.com it is now Team CaDo which comes from taking the first two letters of CArl and the first two of DOnna which are my husband and I.

guwisti
06-06-2010, 01:48 PM
My name, Guwisti, pronounced Goo-Wee-s-Tea, is just an elder's interpretation of my name (Kristie) in Cherokee, which I am. Most of my friends over in Tahlequah, just shorten it to Guwist. Thought about doing something with Catfish or Badger, both nicknames of mine. But when you're anxious to sign up and start you just don't think about these things! lol.

Catfish is my parents nickname for me because, "All mouth and no brains". :roll: Can you feel the love?!

And Badger is because I'm tough, mean and protective like a badger when provoked! :twisted:

WhoDatCrew
08-29-2010, 11:24 PM
If you know USA football you will understand our name. Our family is one of few that are diehard Razorback and Saints fans. All my hog brethren told me that if your a Hog fan you gotta be a cowboys fan. Well no says I. It was my understanding growing up that if you loved the Hogs, you hated everything Texa$$. But I wanted a NFL team to root fur too. So growing up, I had a love for underdogs. If your a Hog fan, you understand this. Well, you don't get more underdog than the New Orlean Saints. I love the Saints as much as I love my piggies. So when we needed a geocaching name I was still on my superbowl high (kinda still on it now :) and I knew WhoDatCrew was unique and it covers my whole family.

Woot, just realized it was my first post. Wall of text FTW!

DaTexanBoy
09-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Well, mine is plain and simple. I was born in Ft.Worth Texas into a military household. So I always held on to Texas as my home. Plus I was stationed in Texas for 4 years myself active duty. The Boy comes from being a huge Dallas Cowboys fan.