PDA

View Full Version : Insanity

majii
08-06-2008, 07:42 AM
I think my brother and I may need a sanity check. We're planning a caching trip for this Friday and Saturday in East Texas. Our plan is to cache all day both days. My goal is to find 250 caches in the two days. It might be a little warm out there... Who else thinks we might have a couple of screws loose?

HikerRon
08-06-2008, 08:54 AM
i think 250 is do-able because i have a friend in Colorado Springs that did 127 in one day. it took some planning though. and i think his caching day consumed about 20 hours.

majii
08-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I've already done a lot of legwork. I've plotted out a route for each day and printed out some pertinent information. I think it would take an entire redwood worth of paper to print out all the cache pages, but I printed some of the necessary information that my GPSr doesn't have. We did 96 in a day in Oklahoma City without any planning, so I think we have a good shot at my goal. Regardless I think it'll be fun.

flannelman
08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Sounds like a fun trip!! Bruce and I got 60 in Morilton one day and we didn't get up there till bout 9am. We didn't really have a plan but just went to the next closest cache. With a well planned trip, and if you don't spend too much time looking for each one, I think you could do it. Post the details when ya get back!

cachemates
08-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Majii,
We had the pleasure of going to this area with rklmbl and woodwalker back in March, we had a wonderful time. We found 91 ( I think ) caches in a day. You will find a variety of cache. I liked the Sucky Cache. I can't remember the name of the one that Ron was fond of.
Pat liked all of them. We were finding caches so fast it was impossible (For Me) to keep them straight.
If it had not been for MBL's perfect dot the I's and cross the tee's bookkeeping I would still be logging those caches. She is the best!!
You will no doubt have a great trip with a lot of stories to tell.
Have Fun.

scoutfrog
08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
I too am planning a cache run for Friday(mine is about 10 hrs east of you in Chattanooga,TN) but I think I've come up with a fix for the Heat. I plan on heading out about 4:30am and hitting some caches in downtown. 1. no traffic and everyone is closed,2. cooler temps. to deal with.
You might think of caching early say 4am till 1pm or even over night say midnight till noon. just my .02 worth.

oenavigator
08-06-2008, 07:22 PM
:D

AR-HICK
08-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Traditionally, insanity or madness is the behaviour whereby a person flouts societal norms and may become a danger to himself and others.
wikipedia

Majii you may fit the bill or maybe not on this forum. I don't think you will get committed by anyone here. Hopefully there aren't a lot of cliffs to walk off of while staring at your gps in East Texas. It may be safe for you to in E. Texas.

If you try Jungle Island like I suggested when the Sheriff picks you up he may give you a ride to a rubber room :lol:
I am sure the river gators aren't BIG enough to eat a grown man. :lol:

QuartzCachers
08-07-2008, 05:50 AM
Mrs. Q and I are planning a full out assault on Searcy this weekend. We haven't found one cache there as of yet, so it is ripe for the pickin'. I am stoked about it, and it'll be fun to compare notes after this weekend! Y'all go get 'em! WOOHOO!!! :D

majii
08-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Pat liked all of them.

Wait a minute! So Pat LIKES geocaching? 8O Who knew... :wink:

gespurr
08-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Mrs. Q and I are planning a full out assault on Searcy this weekend. We haven't found one cache there as of yet, so it is ripe for the pickin'. I am stoked about it, and it'll be fun to compare notes after this weekend! Y'all go get 'em! WOOHOO!!! :D

You and us both!! We're assaulting Burns Park on Saturday and finishing up our previous Searcy assault on Sunday. Good luck! I'll keep my eye out! The WCCCs are pretty fun :) I'll have my computer with me if you need tips or something :)

OH! and if you happen to find the one in Kensett by the train tracks, my hat's off to you!

BSA534
08-07-2008, 07:16 PM
I got to find somewhere to assault near LR this weekend so I can make 800 and be ready for a BIG caching weekend in Clarksville next weekend!

QuartzCachers
08-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Let's see, Kensett by the train tracks. Got it. I'll see what I can do! YEEEHAAWW!! :D :D :D

gespurr
08-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I got to find somewhere to assault near LR this weekend so I can make 800 and be ready for a BIG caching weekend in Clarksville next weekend!

Pinnacle tonight and Burns Park for me tomorrow. There are TONS in Burns Park.

I want to reach 100 this weekend, but if I FIND 100, more power to me! :lol:

BSA.. I sent you an email :) Thanks for the note about my missed cache :oops:

I always go caching armed with my laptop, GPS (duh) and my PDA which gets emails for BOTH of my email accounts and can tether to my laptop.

Im a nerd :twisted:

gespurr
08-09-2008, 11:38 PM

I see you have 4 more to 800! My husband's cache was number 796 for you, I think (or close to it!) :)

We accomplished about as many as you did today.

BSA534
08-10-2008, 12:52 AM
Yep, didn't go as well as I hoped today, but we're that much closer. Maybe we'll get to search for a few more on Sunday afternoon. Who knows! Had fun today anyway.

gespurr
08-10-2008, 07:12 AM
It depends on if the rain lets up...

However it COULD add an element of challenge!

majii
08-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Well, I just got through logging caches last night from my weekend trip. We were able to meet and surpass my goals for the trip. We started at about 9:00 am on Friday, quit at about 9:00 pm, and found 150 caches, so goal number 1 was down. We got to our designated sleeping place at about midnight and got a little bit of rest. We started out again at about 8:30 am on Saturday morning, quit at around 8:30 pm, and found 145 caches on the day. We thought about trying to get 5 more for the even 300 caches for the trip, but we weren't able to determine which caches might be able to be found in the dark, and we were a little bit tired. So to sum it up, we cached for 24 hours over 2 days, found 295 caches, and had a blast. And for those who care about such things, we only found two skirt-lifters in the entire time, and one of those was in the woods.

I think we could've found more if we had utilized the early daylight hours we "wasted" but I'm satisfied. We'll just save 200 for another time... 8)

ShadowCachers
08-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Hoping to get closer to 500 with a assault on SEARCHY... I hope the weather is good Saturday..

gespurr
08-14-2008, 10:34 PM
I think I'm saving the rest for September for Searcy ;) I'll be back home in Mid-Sept because my daughter has a birthday party (my friend's kids), however, George is going fishing up on the US/Canada Border that weekend and of COURSE he'll have the Garmin w/ him.

cachemates
08-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Majii sounds like you had a great time. I remember that skirtlifter in the woods, that was the one rkl liked so much. Mrs C found a dollar bill stuck in a bush there.