PDA

View Full Version : Articles about Gepcaching in Arkansas.

arkansas_stickerdude
09-05-2004, 10:00 PM
I found these two articles about Geocaching in Arkansas here Geocaching in Arkansas (http://www.nwanews.com/times/story_searchresults.php?storyid=7369&storydb=NWATstories2004) and Happy Hunting (http://www.nwanews.com/times/story_searchresults.php?storyid=7350&storydb=NWATstories2004) These 2 were in the Northwest Arkansas Times they are great.

Geezer_Veazey
09-06-2004, 01:20 AM
Thanks for these links, ASD. I saw in someone's log where they read the article on geocaching yesterday and then decided to go caching and I was wondering what article they saw. This may have been it.

Harleyhogs
09-06-2004, 06:39 AM
Here is another article concerning Geocaching.
This was out of the 9-06-04 Baxter Bulletin (Mtn. Home, AR).
Hopefully this will get more people interested,
and if more people are interested maybe they will set out more caches. :lol:
Just click on the link below

:arrow: Geocaching Hobby or sport, this game is hot
(http://www.baxterbulletinonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2004409060311)

RuffRidr
09-06-2004, 08:34 AM
The link that Arkansas Stickerdude posted was probably the one that the logs were referring to. Yesterday's Northwest Arkansas Times ran a piece in the Living section. ASD's links are the online version of that story.

The story left out the online names of the cachers, but in case you're wondering. Chris is Bio-X, Ryan is RuffRidr (me), and Doug is Houseofcache. The kids were with Doug. All in all I think the story turned out pretty good. We had a lot of fun doing that cache and I think the story reflects it.

I've read 2 logs from newbies already who started into geocaching because of the story. I think that is great! I'd love to get an influx of new cachers and caches into the area.

--RuffRidr

arkansas_stickerdude
09-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Ya'll are right I read the same log and thats what got me to looking for the article. Now if we can all get the newspapers to start doing articles every so offten we could get more into caching. This is the same newspaper that came down to the CITO and meet and greet in Sallisaw after they went with you guys to find the cache. They were very impressed with everyone the photographer was also a cacher with just a few finds. Harleyhogs thanks for the article I will read it next.

RuffRidr
09-06-2004, 08:54 AM
Here is another article concerning Geocaching.
This was out of the 9-06-04 Baxter Bulletin (Mtn. Home, AR).
Hopefully this will get more people interested,
and if more people are interested maybe they will set out more caches. :lol:
Just click on the link below

:arrow: Geocaching Hobby or sport, this game is hot
(http://www.baxterbulletinonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2004409060311)

Wow! That is a really, really good article. One of the best on Geocaching that I've ever seen. It's really cool that there was two Geocaching articles in Arkansas on the same weekend.

--RuffRidr

cachecrazies
09-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Wow! That is a really, really good article. One of the best on Geocaching that I've ever seen. It's really cool that there was two Geocaching articles in Arkansas on the same weekend.

--RuffRidr

We agree! That was a terrific article - she really did her homework on that one! And I must admit, we had a great time with Harleyhogs and Kevin (the photographer) doing this story!

This can't help but stimulate the public interest in geocaching! If we only get one or two new cachers out of these articles, they'll be well worthwhile! :D

Gaddiel
09-06-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks to everyone who was involved with these articles. This is the kind of thing that will reach a large number of people and get them interested in geocaching!

Geezer_Veazey
09-07-2004, 03:56 AM
Some really great articles by both papers, done without getting in touch with a quote single contact unquote.

Please, no one be offended by this post. I'm not trying to "stir the pot". I recognize that more organization is desired by most members and is probably a fait accompli. However, this is an example of how good journalists seek out multiple "grass roots" sources. We need to all be good ambassadors, ready and willing when opportunities present themselves.

Thanks, Cachecrazies and Harleyhogs

Geezer

arkansas_stickerdude
09-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Geezer_Veazey tthat is a good point but these are local papers I have never heard of the one in Mtn Home, and I thought the Northwest Arkansas Times was the same as the one here in Fort Smith. Even tho these are very good articles what was to happen if the Arkansas Game and Fish Comm. wanted to talk to a group leader who woukd they go to. If the AGFC started talking to a local cacher and the that cacher quit caching (I don't know who would do that) then we are back at square one with the AGFC. Atleast with a commettee the AGFC would know they would be talking to atleast one or all of the people on the commettee. It would just look better. Goverment Issues are all about LOOKS .

Harleyhogs
09-07-2004, 04:51 PM
I guess you have had better luck with the Ark Game and Fish Commission than I have.

I was going to set out a cache on a G/F River Access area, so I called the local G/F Biologist Office to obtain approval for the cache. They had no idea what I was talking about. They referred me to Little Rock.

Before calling I went to the GF website. Wow there was a article about Geocaching :lol: . Well I called and I went thru 3 different people to find one that had heard of Geocaching. Well to make a long story short someone took my phone number and would have someone call me back. That has been over a month ago. You would think that if the G/F had a web page dealing with Geocaching that their people would be a little better informed.

I guess what my main point is we need to education the people about the positive aspects of Geocaching as a sport / hobby. We need to inform individuals that this is not only an individual sport / hobby, that caching can also be done as a family or group event. 8O

nonnipoppy
09-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Some really great articles by both papers, done without getting in touch with a quote single contact unquote.

Absolutely true. Perhaps I have missed something in the past. Where has it ever been stated, or intimated, that the organization would ever exclued anyone? Perhaps this a misconception on the part of someone. Either myself or others, I have never thought an organization would ever try to supplant the local cacher. Have I missed something?

Geezer_Veazey
09-08-2004, 07:50 PM

Absolutely true. Perhaps I have missed something in the past. Where has it ever been stated, or intimated, that the organization would ever exclued anyone? Perhaps this a misconception on the part of someone. Either myself or others, I have never thought an organization would ever try to supplant the local cacher. Have I missed something?

When I saw the replies to my post I said "DADgummit.......DadGUMmit. I should have kept my trap SHUT." I didn't mean to cause this thread to be diverted away from the original subject, or to rehash things that have already been gone over thoroughly. So I'll answer your question and hope everyone's mind is at ease and the thread can return to the subject of articles about geocaching in Arkansas.

I don't believe it has been stated or intimated that the organization would ever exclude anyone. I do not know of anyone having this misconception. It's certainly not a misconception on my part. I do not believe it is a misconception on anyone else's part including the person who said that one of his goals as a member of the committee was to be a single point of contact for the media. For an association to exclude or supplant one of those who makes up the association for no reason is so contrary to common sense I can't imagine anyone feeling that way.

My post emphasizing what a good job had been done by individuals, (someone other than a "single point of contact") should have re-inforced the thinking that individuals are not supplanted by the organization.

Have a good "rest of the week" and weekend.

Geezer