PDA

View Full Version : WHERIGO ?

mountainborn
05-18-2008, 03:07 PM
We think we might give Wherigo a try. Anybody on here ever tried or currently doing the Wherigo adventures ? We would like to hear from a actual user. When I do a search for nearby cartriges, I find none.
Link to the Wherigo site:
http://www.wherigo.com/

mountainborn
05-18-2008, 03:19 PM
I think the way it might work is that if you were doing a cache loop, say the Spadra Trail, for example, at each cache one might find a "bonus" set of coordinates ( only available on your gps when you arrive at the correct coords) to another cache that might have a connection with the history of the area. A combination lock could open a cache to reveal a code you would enter into your GPS, then it would play a presentation about a event such a Civil War skirmish, ect..
Now, talk about a cool self guided tour of a area !
So, am I any where close ? How does this Wherigo actually work ?

mountainborn
05-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Two of our forums members seem to have played this one in Burns Park. Maybe they could help with the explination.
>
Here is the link:
http://www.wherigo.com/cartridge/details.aspx?CGUID=c9f9fe3b-0c8a-4e37-9e53-1d5740c4d0ee

BSA534
05-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Mountainborn,
Looks like you are the only one with the right toy to play the game right now. I'm anxious to hear your experiences!

majii
05-19-2008, 08:12 AM
I teamed up with JJED to find the Whereigo cache in Burns Park, and we kinda had to find it by brute force, not having the appropriate toys. I personally didn't even go out to Burns Park until I had the final coordinates, or at least some approximation of them. I'm not sure how somebody might go about finding this one the "right" way. A better person to ask about Whereigo caches might be ar_kayaker, who hid the cache in question. Sorry I couldn't be much help...

mountainborn
05-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Ok, buddy, thanks. I looked up on the wherigo fouums where he ( arka yakker ) was asking questions last February trying to figure out how to build a cartrige for that Burns Park cache.
I'l keep on reading, picking up a bit here and there.
As for the Colorado, it is acting more and more docile as they do more and more software updates. I will likely try to cache with it some at the Lake Catherine Event, with the old Magellan as a faithful , but "clunkier" than ever back up. The Colorado will still only download one at a time from geocaching.com , or fifteen at a time from mygarmin.com. I will be glad when they get the thing smoothed out where I can download a couple of hundred at a time.

cupstack
05-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Similar to majii - I did not have the appropriate tool. I took my laptop with me and used the whereigo simulator. Went back and forth between Burns Park and a nearby neighborhood (where I found a wifi connection) to get internet access to use Google Maps and their satellite view. Finally came up with right coordinates.

It is a great idea but a little difficult without the appropriate tool(s).

JJED
05-22-2008, 03:09 PM
We did the one person at home on the computer and one person at Burns Park with the gps method.

mountainborn
05-22-2008, 05:23 PM
We did the one person at home on the computer and one person at Burns Park with the gps method.
Very cool !
Jeremy on the wherigo forums was chattin' with someone about that last time I was there.