PDA

View Full Version : Clarksville Corps of Engineers Campground

mountainborn
03-31-2008, 06:41 PM
We would like to take our small travel trailer to cache for a couple of days. Can any one give info on Corps campgrounds in the area ? How far from Clarksville, ect., ect..
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/mountainborn0/03-01-08_0820.jpg

OldRiverRunner
03-31-2008, 07:47 PM
There's Spadra Park, on the river, just a couple of miles south of Cacheville. Take Exit 58 (I think), Hwy 103, and go south. There are a few caches there and I believe they allow camping. You should email nonnipoppy, golfnutz, cfd10&tee, cfd29, rklmbl, or one of the other cachers in the area for more info, but I think that one is your best bet. -- ORR

mountainborn
03-31-2008, 07:56 PM
Thanks ORR, just brought up it's web site, 37 campsites with electricity. :D

SJClimber
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Yo, MB. Taking our trailer to Spadra for the event. Downside, the Corps does not make reservations, but Sue, the campground "hostess" said there should be plenty of spaces for that weekend. I'm going to check in with her Monday or Tuesday of that week.

Spice
03-31-2008, 08:50 PM
We went to find a couple of caches at this COE campground a while back. It was a VERY nice campground.

topkitty98
04-02-2008, 01:07 PM
I'd really like to know where the picture was taken with the camper and the campground with the RATTLESNAKE sign? Oh Dear. I must call my friend and snake tosser, Mrs. CacheMates.

mountainborn
04-02-2008, 02:06 PM
On Historic Old Route 66, in Mclean, Texas, last month. I went to see my mom in Mesa Arizona.
Here is another one from Mclean. Can you remember when there were Phillips 66 Service Stations ? And they all looked like this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/mountainborn0/03-01-08_0825.jpg
>
I kept expecting a man in a Fresh Phillips 66 uniform to wash my windows, all of them, pump my gas and ask if it was alright to check my oil !!
NOT !! Those days are long gone.

DEEZER
04-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey mountainborn,
There's also the Piney Bay campground not far down the road from Cacheville. We stayed there last year for the event and loved it. I think it's about 10 miles out of town at the most. It seemed a little more appealing to me than Spadra CG. It's also just up the road a little ways from Flat Rock campground which is closed to camping, but has a whole bunch of caches there. Anyways, its a nice place & we enjoyed it.

GeoJeepers
04-04-2008, 04:21 PM
We are planning to camp for the Cacheville event also. We were looking at Spadra because it's so close, but not being able to make a reservation really cramps Mrs. GeoJeepers style (she is SUCH THE PLANNER! :D ) so we may have to look at Piney Bay. Thanks!

Geezer_Veazey
04-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I travelled I40 today and drove through the AUX ARC campground at Ozark. It is really nice. Lots of level sites on a flat campground and it is reservable. So if you are coming from the west you might want to drop your camper there. It's a little farther from Clarksville than Piney Bay, though.

Geezer

OldRiverRunner
04-05-2008, 07:25 AM
There's also the Horsehead Lake Campground, northwest of Clarksville, near Harmony. It's a national forest campground, and I think it's a little more rustic than Piney Bay, but it's a beautiful place. Also, you will not have the noise of the railroad line right next to the campground that you would have at Spadra. Coming from the west on I-40, take the Coal Hill exit (Exit 47) and go north on Hwy 164. This would be a good launching point for all the caches in the Harmony area and then on down into Cacheville. Also, it would put you closer to the location of the breakfast event that rklmbl are hosting on the Sunday morning after the Cacheville event. -- ORR

SJClimber
04-06-2008, 11:53 AM
It's nice to see this discussion. Though Sprada may be closer, the convenience of reservation and site information (recreation.gov), plus no railroad noise may drive me to try Piney Bay. There are no shore sites left, but almost all the sites in the "G" area are available. Those sites are paved and level. Awaiting the okay from the "entertainment director," but this may be our resting place for the event..[/img]