PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 60CSX

bmwrider1
03-25-2008, 10:39 PM
I just got this Garmin and City Navigator NT. Should I or can I download the whole map to my 2gig card so It is always available.

And how do I do this?

AR-HICK
03-26-2008, 08:37 AM
bmwrider1, Why not, you have it why not use it. I just built a map file with mine and it was 1622.3MB. That is US and Canda, I don't know about Mexico couldn't get it to put in the file. I do know it will take a while if you are going to put it in your GPS. I put 900MB in mine and it took about an hour.
As far as how to do it, maptool highlight as much as you can. then you will have to send it to your gps. good luck.

BSA534
03-26-2008, 12:11 PM
I've had the North America map files for a while, but I didn't have an expansion card, so I only have Arkansas and NE Texas. I ordered a card today and I want to put all of the states that touch Arkansas on there. I don't stray too far away from home, but if I do I can add other states as needed.

Wish I could save more waypoints with all that memory. Is there anything else you can use it for?

Spice
03-26-2008, 08:40 PM
I'm probably about to buy a Garmin 60Csx and I know NOTHING about maps for a GPSr. Help!

What do I need and what do I do???

bmwrider1
03-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:40 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm probably about to buy a Garmin 60Csx and I no NOTHING about maps for a GPSr. Help!

What do I need and what do I do???

First off thanks guys for your help.

I guess it depends on what kind of map you want streets or topo. I have the City Navigator NT because if the highways and streets. I plan on the topo later.

I did get my maps downloaded to my card which is a 2 gig. I got this card from ebay I have tested it and it works .The Nt map is
much better than the map that comes with the unit. It was not hard to get it working.

BSA534
03-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Well, I bought my 60csx and ordered the maps from Garmin about the same time (around $125 for North America Streets & Highways). I didn't buy it for geocaching, I didn't even know what that was at the time. I was about ready to put it on ebay when my maps finally arrived (4 months later). Once I installed the maps, my gpsr was transformed from a toy to a useful piece of equipment!

Once I discovered geocaching, the maps really came in handy, although on occasion they lead me astray! :(

Thats what I know about maps on the 60csx. There may be other options and hopefully someone can share those with both of us!

AR-HICK
03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
I would like to see how the TOPO maps are :?:
I have City Nav and it is very useful in places I have never been. I guess paris where do you plan on caching :?:
The TOPO has streets and roads on it, other than that I don't know how useful it would be in the city. Maybe someone could chime in and give us a review :D

SJClimber
03-27-2008, 09:19 PM
I run Garmin's TOPO on the 60 C/Sx. I'm not sure it is that much better that City Nav for caching. I use it while hiking and packing in CO and for out of the way caches there. When caching with Rhone, he using City Nav, we have our bases covered. Oh, occasionally there are roads on the TOPO that do not show on CN, but sometimes they turn out to be "dead ends." Lastly, I use DeLorme SA on the laptop with the GPS for larger urban areas to get a bigger picture of where I'm going and potential alternate routes.

Spice
04-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Last week I received my Garmin GPS60Csx and I LOVE it!

I had originally thought about going all out for the new Colorado, but decided to wait a while. The 60csx is such a step up for me and I bought the City Navigator NT too and the mapping is great.

We will now be using our GPSr for caching and more.

bmwrider1
04-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Sometimes when I turn on my 60csx the maps do not load and I have to restart it a couple of times. I thought maybe the sd card was not seated but that does not seem to be the problem. Any Ideas?

Gaddiel
04-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Sometimes when I turn on my 60csx the maps do not load and I have to restart it a couple of times. I thought maybe the sd card was not seated but that does not seem to be the problem. Any Ideas?

It is most likely a problem with the SD card. Have you tried reformatting it?

To narrow the problem down a bit, try a different SD card. Also, you could try your SD card on a different GPSr and see if the maps load on that one.

Wayne

bmwrider1
04-29-2008, 04:09 PM
It seems as if the card came unseated. Just took it out and back again seemed to make it work. Thanks

BSA534
04-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I recently bought a 2 gig card for my 60csx and I noticed it was really hard to seat into place. It didn't snap into place or anything. Oh well, its working and I shouldn't have to take it out again.

Is there anything else you can store on the card other than maps?

DEEZER
10-26-2008, 01:27 PM
I just recently purchase the 60csx with US topo 2008 from REI.com. $348 total including shipping. Can anybody tell me what is the difference between topo & city navigator? The topo has all the city streets. Do you get turn by turn navigating with city navigator? I've tried using auto routing a couple of times, but it just highlights the interstate. You're on your own getting to the interstate.

Also, has anybody tried the 60csx poi macro from the GSAK forums?

BSA534
10-26-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't have topo but yes, you do get turn by turn routing with the city navigator.

cfd29
10-26-2008, 06:27 PM
While we are on the subject of the 60csx, does anyone know how to NOT show all the services on the map page of the gps screen?? When in a larger city you cant see the caches for all the service stations and stores. There must be a way :?

OldRiverRunner
10-26-2008, 08:07 PM
I just recently purchase the 60csx with US topo 2008 from REI.com. $348 total including shipping. Can anybody tell me what is the difference between topo & city navigator? The topo has all the city streets. Do you get turn by turn navigating with city navigator? I've tried using auto routing a couple of times, but it just highlights the interstate. You're on your own getting to the interstate.

Also, has anybody tried the 60csx poi macro from the GSAK forums?

I use both Topo and City Navigator with my eTrex Vista Cx. I would assume that it works the same as for the 60csx. Although Topo has many streets and roads, it is not as detailed. Also, you cannot locate specific addresses with Topo, which you can do with City Navigator. And that comes in very handy sometimes!

If you use autorouting with Topo maps loaded, you will get weird results, as it will try to take you on major roads the whole way. For example, when I was driving to the Conway County Event on Saturday morning, although I knew the way, I decided to see what auto-routing with Topo would come up with. Well, coming from Russellville, it wanted me to continue on I-40 to Conway, take Rt. 65 north, and then turn west somewhere along the way! Definitely not the short route! However, if I use City Navigator, auto-routing works great and the displayed route seems logical.

For the maps, I use 2 micro SD cards: one 2 GB card with City Navigator maps for the entire lower 48 states on it and one 64 MB card with topo maps for all of Arkansas, most of Mississippi, and the northern half of Louisiana. If I travel somewhere else, I will reprogram the 64 MB card with maps of the area I am going to. Then I swap cards depending on what I'm doing and what the area is like. I prefer the topo maps for geocaching, but I will use the City Navigator maps if I'm in an unfamiliar area.

Old River Runner

B62GTAWK
10-26-2008, 09:04 PM
While we are on the subject of the 60csx, does anyone know how to NOT show all the services on the map page of the gps screen?? When in a larger city you cant see the caches for all the service stations and stores. There must be a way

I can't say I have ever had that problem. Seems like there may be a setting that needs to be turned off. Someone with more brains can probably tell you more specific.

HikerRon
10-27-2008, 06:13 AM
i'm a new 60CSX user, but you mighy try this:
MAIN menu> Setup>Map>Detail
i have mine set to 'normal'.

cfd29
10-28-2008, 06:19 PM
OK I will try that, it is very frustrating in a larger city, the screen is all cluttered with stores and service stations..
Thanks

HikerRon
10-29-2008, 11:13 AM
also, somewhere in there i think i saw a 'turn de-clutter on/off' but i dont remember where it was.

cfd29
10-29-2008, 06:56 PM
OK, it was the "turn de clutter off" duh,, I guess I thought that was like on weather radar or something..
Thanks, our little town here of course is not a true test, but a trip thru town and It did not show all the stations,
Will be taking a trip this weekend to Mt Home, will try it then

Thanks. I knew someone could help on this

:D