PDA

View Full Version : SugarLoaf Summit GCNEMT

redink
03-02-2008, 04:05 PM
The team of OEnavigator,Cacheslayer, Cardinal and myself found this cache on 3-1-08,it's been nearly three years since a find.We loaded it
with trackables,so go get em and spread them around it's a great
hike and adventure. Red Ink

Geezer_Veazey
03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Red ink, cacheslayer, cardinal and OEnavigator, I admire your abilities and determination. Actually, I'm a little jealous. A 5 mile hike on flat ground is enough to do me in.

It seems to me that leaving 11 trackables in a cache that requires a 5-6 mile hike and 1899 ft. elevation climb with cliffs to scale and no trail to follow is not a wise thing to do. How many people are going to make a hike like that these days? At the rate it get's visited, how long will it take all 11 trackables to be moved? Possibly years. I'm trying to look at it from the owner's standpoint who like to see their trackables move around a lot. Let's hope that the next person who does make the hike will retrieve all 11 and get them back in circulation.

redink
03-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Red ink, cacheslayer, cardinal and OEnavigator, I admire your abilities and determination. Actually, I'm a little jealous. A 5 mile hike on flat ground is enough to do me in.

It seems to me that leaving 11 trackables in a cache that requires a 5-6 mile hike and 1899 ft. elevation climb with cliffs to scale and no trail to follow is not a wise thing to do. How many people are going to make a hike like that these days? At the rate it get's visited, how long will it take all 11 trackables to be moved? Possibly years. I'm trying to look at it from the owner's standpoint who like to see their trackables move around a lot. Let's hope that the next person who does make the hike will retrieve all 11 and get them back in circulation. I hope that leaving the trackable there would encourage some one to go get them.
Out of the 11 trackables 7 were jeeps and 1 was my personal coin. By
the way we met two benchmark hunters at the summit,and I've had
emails on waypoints to the top.

oenavigator
03-04-2008, 11:52 AM
:D

HikerRon
03-05-2008, 08:23 AM
i'm with Geezer on this one. i dont usually move trackables at all, but out in colorado i would always 'rescue' one or two every fall from caches that werent likely to be visited again for months because of winter snows. neither would i like to have my own TB stranded for months in a cache. i would prefer that it kept moving. and some trackables have missions, places to go, races to win, etc.

redink
03-05-2008, 08:27 PM
i'm with Geezer on this one. i dont usually move trackables at all, but out in colorado i would always 'rescue' one or two every fall from caches that werent likely to be visited again for months because of winter snows. neither would i like to have my own TB stranded for months in a cache. i would prefer that it kept moving. and some trackables have missions, places to go, races to win, etc.
Here in N.W. AR. trackables are becoming missing at an alarming rate.I would rather see my trackables sit in a more remote area than on a display table . I've come to realizr by dropping them in a harder cache
they will have better care. I have had to contact many people about my personal coins and such,I usually give them about two months or so before I email them, the most common answers are as follows:
I retrieved from the depths of my car seat.
I found it in the bottom of my daypack
Someone grabbed it off of the display trackables table.

It's only been 4 day's since they were dropped SugarLoaf,so let's give them a chance. Just my opinion on the subject. Red Ink

HikerRon
03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
hey, no harm intended. to each his own, so to speak.
i've had bad luck with TBs myself. i've lost 3 of the 4 i've launched. the only one remaining took off to Europe right after i placed it, and it's been bouncing around over there for almost 3 yrs now! currently, it's in England.
i've never gotten into the geocoin thing...but apparently they are worse than TBs about disappearing. collectors, i guess.

redink
03-05-2008, 10:04 PM
hey, no harm intended. to each his own, so to speak.
i've had bad luck with TBs myself. i've lost 3 of the 4 i've launched. the only one remaining took off to Europe right after i placed it, and it's been bouncing around over there for almost 3 yrs now! currently, it's in England.
i've never gotten into the geocoin thing...but apparently they are worse than TBs about disappearing. collectors, i guess. No harm taken,
everyone has their own opinion and I respect your's and Geezer's to the utmost,and am glad you posted your thoughts.Red Ink

arkansas_stickerdude
03-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Since I had the FTF on this cache and I was smart and used a 4 wheeler LOL if they sit there too long I'll take the 4 wheeler bc I found an easier way up and go rescue them.

redink
03-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Since I had the FTF on this cache and I was smart and used a 4 wheeler LOL if they sit there too long I'll take the 4 wheeler bc I found an easier way up and go rescue them. I know you had the ftf on the cache,and it was impressive,especially doing it alone! a four wheeler would be handy now because of the gate issue causing the extra hike, the road in is extermely bad shape,If we could have gotten past the gate, I would not have taken my jeep much past the waypoints given for the 2wd parkings, you need a good rock crawler
in two places, you might make it to the 1100' mark at best on a four wheeler,I hope that there is an easier way but the five of us couldn't
find it, and we researched it for a month. Red Ink

arkansas_stickerdude
03-14-2008, 10:31 AM
I went around the backside and found an easy way up there was no scaleing clifts but I did use 3 liters of water in the middle of the summer. LOL.

redink
04-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Well it did not take years or even month's for the trackable to get moved from the summit of SugarLoaf Mountain,just 51 days. I personally thought they would be found way before that. Also I believe that leaving the coins and jeeps there enticed the people to go after the cache.I am proud to have my personal coin stay in this cache,and I am also proud of HROF and Bike and his team for doing this trek and getting the trackable spread around our area. I also noticed from his log that he left his personal coin in the cache as well. How long it will stay there? Who knows,
but someone is missing a great adventure if they do not go for them.

Geezer_Veazey
04-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Let me add my congratulations to HROF and B on making this find. There's no doubt about it. This is a great cache to seek for those ABLE AND WILLING to go for it. My kudos to HROF and B for retrieving the TBs from this cache that had only been found once by a party of 4 over the last 995 days before his visit. I'm proud of my small part in raising the awareness that most TB owners do not like to have their TBs left in caches so seldom visited.

HROF & B... you da man!

oenavigator
04-24-2008, 10:00 AM

redink
04-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Since Chris has raised the question about statisics I'll go ahead and jump in. I own(ed) 18 trackables out of the 18, six are unaccounted for or about
34% not a good ratio. Most of mine were put in fairly easy caches as I
was just getting started in geocaching,I've since learned to believe the more difficult the cache,the better care they receive.

Geezer_Veazey
04-24-2008, 10:38 PM
...I've since learned to believe the more difficult the cache,the better care they receive.
You make a good point. An easy, muggle prone cache is not a good place for a trackable. But I still find it difficult to believe that very many owners would want their trackable dropped in a cache that hadn't been visited in the last 944 days.

redink
04-29-2008, 07:01 PM
...I've since learned to believe the more difficult the cache,the better care they receive.
You make a good point. An easy, muggle prone cache is not a good place for a trackable. But I still find it difficult to believe that very many owners would want their trackable dropped in a cache that hadn't been visited in the last 944 days. But if the cache had trackable dropped there,
would that not entice some to go after them? I think it does. It has now been visited more the last two months tha the previous three years.

Geezer_Veazey
05-02-2008, 09:38 PM
You make a good point. An easy, muggle prone cache is not a good place for a trackable. But I still find it difficult to believe that very many owners would want their trackable dropped in a cache that hadn't been visited in the last 944 days. But if the cache had trackable dropped there,
would that not entice some to go after them?
Possibly. But the most recent finder did not take either of the trackables or even 'discover' them. Hmmmm...

oenavigator
05-04-2008, 05:11 PM

redink
05-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Hmmmm, If they are still there in the late fall or early winter ,after the asps and adders are gone, (I despise those critters) I'll be glad to go
retrieve them,Geezer you are more than welcome to join up with me,also I can probably get a few others to accompany us, the journey is not that bad at all, I'll be gald to furnish the fuel and transportation. I will be happy to work around your schedule. Thanks in advance: Red Ink

Geezer_Veazey
05-04-2008, 08:02 PM
.... because he was along with HROFandB when he found it on the 22nd and just logged late. They retrieved all the trackables that were there and then HROFandB dropped off his own coin and another. Methinks he is using them as bait for others. Hmmmm.. :lol:
I failed to notice that GtrPkr was part of the HROF&B party. I stand corrected. :oops:

....I'll be glad to go retrieve them,Geezer you are more than welcome to join up with me...
I would very much like a hike like that if I am physically able, which is doubtful, but I'll wait and see. Thanks for the invite.