PDA

View Full Version : "Cachin' On The Caddo" Float Trip

Dentful1
12-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Planning on floating the Caddo River in March with "Biohazardbiker" to go after the "Cachin' On The Caddo" Series. Just curious to see if others would be interested in joining us. We get a bunch going then we can get the Group Rate for canoe rental. Anybody interested?

AR-HICK
12-25-2007, 10:10 PM
March + River water X caches = Adventure
Sounds like fun :D I am interested I have only been in a Canoe once before(many times if you count overturning it :lol: ). Who wants to ride with me? I will pencil it in and be waiting for more details.
Ar-Hick

idratherbehiking
12-26-2007, 12:17 AM
While out hiking a couple of weeks ago Reid (SJClimber) mentioned doing this series as a group sometime in the spring. I think it is a great idea although I have only been in a canoe a few times myself. And even then I think I spent more time in the water than in the canoe. Count me in, I just need a date a few weeks in advance to request off work. This series sounds like a lot of fun and would be even better as a group.

Lauri
12-26-2007, 06:42 AM
I've been considering doing a float trip for this series for a while! Sounds fun...definitely interested!

cfd29
12-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Sounds like fun, would be a good way to grab those caches
will just have to see our schedule and how the weather is then
I, like everyone else might spend more time in the water
do they have SUPER wide canoes??

Dentful1
12-26-2007, 04:46 PM
No super wide canoes, but you can get 2 and you can strap them together!

Glad to here a few cachers are interested in going along. March is a good time to go, the river is usually up more in March than in the summer. Cachemates and I had a rare late summer float with very good water levels to put this series out.

cfd29
12-26-2007, 06:50 PM
If Cachemates can do it, maybe we can :lol:
Hope the water isn't too swift, and maybe we can put on
about a dozon life jackets and make it 8O

Ronbo
12-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Just bought me two 16ft Gruman Aluminum canoes. Can you bring your own canoe to this event? I'd love to go on this trip. I'll check back often to see the progress.

Ron Willett
Flora, MS

Dentful1
12-27-2007, 05:30 PM
You don't have to rent a canoe if you have your own, the canoe companies don't have a mandatory rent from us to float policy. The rental company may charge a shuttle fee to tote your canoes to the launch. You may contact them at, Caddo River Camping and Canoe Rental 870-356-5336. Tell them you are planning on attending a March Caching trip and would like some info about bringing your own canoe. If they charge you a fee and you don't want to pay we can make arrangements on toting your canoes to the launch and leaving your truck at the end.

cfd29
12-27-2007, 05:38 PM
About how long a float is it?? about how much time does it take to do it. I take it, it is all a downstream thing and CALM water??

biohazardbiker
12-27-2007, 08:22 PM
I might should have mentioned that I have NEVER been in a canoe either...FYI. :? So, when ya comin to A-town with me? Im ready to use my new toy Santa brought me!

Justin
"Biohazardbiker"

Dentful1
12-27-2007, 09:02 PM
The float is 7.2 miles long. It has Class I and II rapids with some slow pools. To just float the river takes about 3-4 hours, we're caching and if we get a big group it will take at least 5-6 hours. If the water is down and we drag some it will take longer, but we should have plenty of water and things should go smoothly. I don't go canoeing as much as I used to but I have floated this River for 21 years, (I am 29), 17 or so years me pushing my sister down this thing. This is a good River for the lesser experienced to get a lesson on.

The hyperlink will get you to the Series Cache #1 which has the info on the Series.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 937bb95403 (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=719f8a9b-f5fa-4174-93e1-ea937bb95403)

flannelman
12-28-2007, 02:00 PM
I'll watch for more details cause this sounds like a great trip.

jacksonb
12-28-2007, 08:11 PM
My oldest son, bisonfan, and I might be interested in participating in this trip. We'll just have to wait and see what dates are chosen. I don't know of any conflicts yet, but with teenage kids, the schedule fills up fast.

Dentful1
12-28-2007, 08:23 PM
The date will have to wait a little until we can figure out the weather. We should know about 3-4 weeks prior.

nonnipoppy
12-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Are old fat guys welcome 8O ?....poppy

Dentful1
12-29-2007, 08:21 AM
I do not discriminate to old and fat people or old people or fat people or people just in general. If you cache you are considered my friend, if you have lots of CASH you are my best friend.

SJClimber
12-29-2007, 11:18 AM
If in town, I'll be there. Rhone has wanted to do this too, so I'll give him a buzz. SJC

Lauri
12-29-2007, 03:17 PM
I talked to tadlad today and he seems down for this trip as well. Another option to keep in mind is that people can rent kayaks. I have more experience in a kayak and like the individual freedom it gives as well.

Dentful1
12-29-2007, 03:57 PM
True kayaks are very fun. I might post a new forum when March gets closer for all the info.

cfd29
12-29-2007, 07:32 PM
I have checked out some canoe rental places in that area, seems pretty cheap for the rental, I am sure you may have a favorite or best place you can steer everyone.. But if Nonnipoppy is going, I want to be in the canoe right behind him :lol:
You know the water will be cold in March... :roll:
Guess it is cold year round.. This might turn out to be quite a group, maybe could count it as an event at the same time??

Dentful1
12-29-2007, 08:34 PM
CADDO CAMPING AND CANOE RENTAL 870-356-5336
I have set up a HINT list at this Rental Company. Being as that we are going as a BIG group I will have the hints at the launch. Yes the water is cold in March but the chances are greater for a good float with the river levels. As for an EVENT, I have no idea what to do there. This is my first big thing to participate in, let alone somewhat organize. I was just going to float the river with a friend so he can get the SERIES and was being nice to see who else would like to join us. WOW, glad to see a lot have interest in it.
Any questions about this float, don't hesitate to ask.

Dentful1
12-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Maybe this will help.

http://www.caddoriver.com/

cfd29
12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Yep, that was the same place I found on the net, Thanks will be watching this to see when a date is set, if the weather and work don't pose problems, sounds like would be a fun day, a bunch of cachers on water in canoes, WOW no telling what could happen :D

Rhone
12-30-2007, 07:50 AM
I've been thinking about doing this for some time now. I'll plan to be there if at all possible.

Dentful1
12-31-2007, 07:38 PM
The word EVENT has been brought up. This could be one, give me your input. Remember, this float will take most of the day.

AR-HICK
12-31-2007, 09:27 PM
If you want it to be an Event you will have to have a Meet and Greet. Like the "Flannelman's Breakfast". I am just letting you know that the Arkansas Reviewer(Chuck Walla) will inform you of this when you try to submit it.
That would be fun, but I was always told not to go swiming for an hour after I ate. I am sure that I will be in the water very quickly. Who wants to ride with me? :lol:

arkansas_stickerdude
01-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Count me in for sure!!!!!!!!

Q
01-03-2008, 06:31 AM
These things are WAY hard to set up. The river in March is a seesaw. Too high is no good. Too low is also possible. I have busy schedules but... would love to try this and can bring 2 canoes and a raft if I can make it. That is boats for 6 or more.... other than us.

Ronbo
01-10-2008, 08:29 AM
The date will have to wait a little until we can figure out the weather. We should know about 3-4 weeks prior.

Any way to firm up this date a little earlier. Trying to get a group together from Mississippi to join you but I will need as much notice on the date as I can get. Thanks. We just did a float on the Pearl and Porter Rivers along the MS and LA state lines on Dec 29th and had a lot of fun.

PLLA/MSNYEEEWP/PS/PRPE&S_MHH (GC17Y9R) (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC17Y9R&Submit6=Go)

Dentful1
01-10-2008, 12:03 PM
A float trip is extremely hard to put an exact date on due to weather. I will get the calendar out and study it and try to come up with a date within the next week and will also try to come up with an alternate date.

Dentful1
01-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Ok. After attending my very first event, 2nd Time in Paris, and talking to a few cachers I have decided to make this an official event. Please stayed tuned to this forum and watch the geocaching.com website for the posting later this week. I still need to shore things up with Ron at the rental to make sure he does not have a large group booked for the weekend that I am planning on doing this. I won't release the date yet until I have confirmed all the details with Ron. See you on the river.

Ronbo
01-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Ok. After attending my very first event, 2nd Time in Paris, and talking to a few cachers I have decided to make this an official event. Please stayed tuned to this forum and watch the geocaching.com website for the posting later this week. I still need to shore things up with Ron at the rental to make sure he does not have a large group booked for the weekend that I am planning on doing this. I won't release the date yet until I have confirmed all the details with Ron. See you on the river.

I'll check back. Trying to get a group up from Missisissippi to make the event.

Dentful1
01-15-2008, 01:12 PM
:mrgreen: The "1st Annual CITO The Caddo" Event is in the reviewers hands on geocaching.com. It is also posted on this website. 8)

Ronbo
01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
:mrgreen: The "1st Annual CITO The Caddo" Event is in the reviewers hands on geocaching.com. It is also posted on this website. 8)

Where is it posted on this site. Do you have a link.

Dentful1
01-15-2008, 07:19 PM
It is posted on the Home page.

BSA534
01-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Do we have to wait until its published to find out the date? Or did I miss it somewhere?

Dentful1
01-16-2008, 02:47 AM
I am a rookie at this stuff, sorry. The date is Saturday, March 22nd. I just now see that it is Easter weekend, oops.

Lauri
01-16-2008, 09:28 AM
That's not an issue for me, personally.

Also, the event has not been published as of right now (GC18MKP), so you can not yet search for the event.

Dentful1
01-16-2008, 11:23 AM
The event is going to happen whether geocaching.com approves or not. The event is under review as of right now. The Easter thing was an oversight but later have realized it to be a possible good thing because of cachers getting off for Good Friday can travel to Glenwood and camp or stay the night at a motel for the early start time.

HikerRon
01-18-2008, 12:57 PM
yep, put me down. well, tentively. when we nail down the date, i'll commit.

RugerPilot345
01-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Sounds fun, although the water will be cool/cold, 8O , ha ha!!

Anybody talking about which weekend in the month we are looking at so far??

8)

Cool!! (RugerPilot345)

RugerPilot345
01-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Oppppsssss posted before I saw there were three pages of comments.....ha ha!! :?

22 MAR sounds great to me....count me in....I am off shift and will be in town!!

Cool!!

mdlangley
01-18-2008, 08:09 PM
You can sign me and my wife up. This will be our third time floating the Caddo together and my 7th or 8th time on my own. It will be my first time to ever even consider that someone might hide little boxes of goodies for people to find. Adds a little bit extra adventure to an already adventurous trip. I am originally from Langley, Arkansas so this trip is great being on Easter weekend for me as I will probably have plans to head home anyway. Look forward to enjoying it with you all.

--Michael D. Langley

Dentful1
01-19-2008, 10:25 AM
This float trip will still go on. HOWEVER, the Event has been DENIED. :cry: No Event smileys or stars on your record for this one, but you can log a bunch of caches.

:D :D THE FLOAT IS STILL PLANNED FOR MARCH 22!! :D :D

Lauri
01-19-2008, 11:29 AM
That's annoying, but I'm going regardless. Looking forward to it! :D

SJClimber
01-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Going to start a thread about the reviewer.....

Dentful1
01-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Oh Crap. This got out of hand. I understand the reviewers denial on my event. According to the Rules I am disguising a cache float with an event. I posted the event on this website and geocaching.com at the same time. This allowed Chuck Walla to see what is really happening because I put more info on this site. I have conversed with C.W. and we are on the same page with this. I have only been heavily active with this website just recently so I don't know what has happened in the past with C.W. There may be more to this than what I see right before me.

BSA534
01-20-2008, 10:10 PM
So if we'd said it was a "Breakfast in Glenwood" get together as the official event and then posted on the board that some are going to meet afterwards to do a float trip then it might have been more likely to go through.... ???!!?

SJClimber
01-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Good morning. Not to worry about the event status. You may still be able to get this approved. If CW felt this was just a float trip hunting for caches, it would be denied as an event. If it was presented as a meet/greet, exchange of coins/bugs, float with river clean-up (CITO), it should be approved. If the reviewer's decisions are arbitrary and not based on some "standard," the group should queston and negotiate. The denial of this event and the recent thread about "power caches" have raised my "antennas ."

Dentful1
01-21-2008, 11:14 AM
For all to see. This is how the "Event" was wrote up. I may have done it wrong. I should have spiced it up a bit and maybe put my wifes perfume on the envelope. I could have done something like meet and greet at Sonic for breakfast, and oh, if you would like to join some of the cachers we will be floating the Caddo River for a little CITO time.

This was copied right off of the denied listing.

A meet and get wet event floating the beautiful Caddo River.

This CITO Event will take place in Glenwood, Arkansas. We will float a 7.2 mile stretch of the Caddo River.

8:00 am Register at Rental Office at coordinates above.

8:45 am Meet below Office on River to load up buses.

We will be getting on the River about 9:00 am to begin our adventure. This float will take the biggest part of the day (5-7 hours) depending on water levels and how many times we stop. You will need to bring DRY clothes to leave in your vehicle. You WILL get wet, bring towels in a dry bag or trash bag zip tied. This is March and the water is still cool. You may want to bring snacks and drinks in a cooler. I will furnish large contractor bags to put trash in. If we get 5 or more canoes you can purchase your rental at the Group Rate of $30 per canoe. Kayaks are $25. If you have a canoe and want the Rental to shuttle your canoe they will for a small fee.

We will get what trash we can get a hold of, might be a little difficult in a canoe. The Rental does have a cleanup float in July, so the River should not be in to bad of shape.

Bring your GPSr, there are a few caches along this float for those who wish to find.

After the float we can gather at the Fish Nest.

See you on the River.

Additional Hints ( Encrypt )

Decryption Key
A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z
(letter above equals below,
and vice versa)

Bring extra DRY clothes!!!!

BSA534
01-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Dentful,
I would have presented it just the way you did. That is what I thought an "Event" was, but apparently you've got to use certain wording in order to get it approved. Who knows, it was worth a shot. I sure hope we can make it down, it sounds like a lot of fun. Haven't floated the Caddo since I was a Tenderfoot Scout!

Tim

SJClimber
01-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Man, sure looks like a CITO to me. Unless I'm missing something. Wonder what the complaint could have been??

Dentful1
01-21-2008, 06:01 PM
I am sure Chuck Walla won't mind me posting our conversation. It will educate us all on the Right way of doing Events.

Remember, I have to agree with C.W. on this particular Event Denial. I did do things wrong and I did learn how to do it right, we all have to start somewhere.

January 19 by Chuck Walla (0 found)
This event listing is denied for the following reasons:

1) Although the listing is classified as a CITO event, it is really a gathering organized for cache hunting and disguised as a CITO, based upon the information posted in the Arkansas Geocachers Association forum. This is not allowed by Geocaching.com’s Cache Listing Requirements – Guidelines, which state: “…In addition, an event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches. Such group hunts are best organized using the forums or an email distribution list.”

2) Although the listing doesn’t explicitly list the name of the canoe rental place where the cachers are to meet, the listing is still considered commercial in nature, due to the following: “register at rental office”, “meet below office at river to load up buses”, and the discussion of rental fees. Again, this is not allowed by Geocaching.com’s Cache Listing Requirements – Guidelines, which state: “Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services. If the finder is required to go inside the business, interact with employees, and/or purchase a product or service, then the cache is presumed to be commercial.”

If you feel that this decision is unjust, you have the right to appeal it. If you choose to do so, send an e-mail with complete details, waypoint name (GC****) and a link to the cache, to Groundspeak’s special address for this purpose: appeals@geocaching.com.

Chuck Walla
Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer
-

4wheeling-1
01-22-2008, 12:48 PM
WHAT THE ???????????. I thought all EVENTS were set up for a gathering of cachers to go caching together and I know of a few EVENTS that give the NAME of the establishment, rules, rules, rules. :roll:

oenavigator
01-22-2008, 02:26 PM
:D

SJClimber
01-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Interesting denial letter. I can see her first point to some extent, but her second is a misinterpretation of the guideline possibly, if she considers the event (site) as a cache. There is no cache at the place of business, but the event could be considered a "cache." In this instance, we would be gathering at the rental place (like Ryan's for breakfast). One is not required to use their services. If you have a canoe and a vehicle you would be in business. Oh well, I guess we need to be real cautious and rethink our submissions for sites/events, etc.. I have two I wish to place and will likely have an "old pro" evaluate the request before submission...

Ronbo
01-25-2008, 01:51 PM
This float trip will still go on. HOWEVER, the Event has been DENIED. :cry: No Event smileys or stars on your record for this one, but you can log a bunch of caches.

:D :D THE FLOAT IS STILL PLANNED FOR MARCH 22!! :D :D

Hey Aaron,
Thanks for the personal email about the event. I would suggest submitting a Breakfast Eat and Greet before the trip. The reason you had a hard time finding me was my trail name changed since I joined this site and I've tried several times to get the web contact to change it. No luck so far.

Ronbo

Dentful1
01-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Be looking for a few minor TIME changes to our float trip. It will be on the News page.

Dentful1
01-27-2008, 10:41 AM
9:00am Register at Rental Office
9:45am Meet below office on river to load up.

Had to make changes for an Event scheduled for the same day.

Dentful1
01-27-2008, 03:29 PM
An Event will be held the same day as the Float here is the post for the Event.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=51761049-d758-4c72-acb0-0c36540f057b

Take notice of the times for the Event. The times of the Float Trip will be changed as soon as Gaddiel gets the info.
Thanks for your concerns and advice and your patience.
Sorry for all the hassel.

SJClimber
01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
:lol: Great news on the event status. We'll still be there!!! Onward-SJC

AR-HICK
02-13-2008, 09:28 AM
How does everyone plan on protecting there GPS?
Mine will sink if it gets dumped in the water. I also really don't want to give it a bath. Any suggestions are welcome :?: :?: :?:

idratherbehiking
02-13-2008, 10:46 AM
I know the Garmin 60csx is waterproof but it will not float. As I am typing this mine is floating inside 2 ziplock bags in the kitchen sink. I just put it in the bag, blew some air in it and zipped it closed. Then added a second bag for security. It floats just fine, still has a signal, and I can operate all of the buttons as long as I don't put too much air in the bag. Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Dentful1
02-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Idrather nailed it on the head. That was a suggestion I was going to put on this post. I will be bringing my snorkel gear just as a precaution in case something does go under. I know some of the GPSr's don't have a good battery life. I also know that not everyone will want to get out and log each cache. I know for a fact that a few of the locations are not able to handle 5, 10, 15 canoes on the bank at one time. SO, after saying all that I am open to cachers "grouping" up and having a designated person log the cache. I would like to see someone different log each cache. I personally vote for Mrs. Cachemates and mbl to go after cache # 6. It would make a good picture.

OldRiverRunner
02-15-2008, 08:19 PM
I am open to cachers "grouping" up and having a designated person log the cache. I would like to see someone different log each cache.

Is it ethical for a cacher to claim a find when they don't even see the cache, but are just somewhere in the area, along on the trip? :?

Personally, I don't think so. But then, maybe it's "all about the numbers" ... :cry:

Dentful1
02-15-2008, 08:59 PM
If a group stops at each cache and the person that finds the cache does a "show and Tell" the one that finds can just write down the names of the cachers in the group.

Example:

dentful1 and biohazardbiker
Mr and Mrs Cachemates
rugerpilot and Lauri
OENavigator and oldriverrunner
woodwalker9 and Chuck Walla :wink:
SJClimber and Rhone
Nonni and Poppy
ETC......

There are 7 canoes above. They sort of get split up. Half goes ahead of the other half. Mrs Cachemates gets excited and wanted to go after, say, cache #6. She jumps out of the boat and goes for it. She throws the snake off of the cache and yells "I found it." "It's an ammo can that has a cable attached to it so it won't run off." Biohazardbiker, rugerpilot, Larui and Mr. Cachemates yells back "congrates, now log our names in the book."

The example above would be acceptable to me.

There are some caches that you can bring down to the others so they can see for themselves.

The reason for just one or 2 people to go after each cache is because of the bank access. There are many caches along this river that only 1 canoe can park near the bank. Too many canoes in some locations equal many canoes upside down and many wet cachers.

It would be very exciting if we have 15-20 canoes. That means there would be 30-40 cachers floating the river. It would be impossible to park 20 canoes on the bank to go after cache #8.

I know this is not the COMMON practice of proper caching. BUT!, this is a large group all at once going after each cache. It wouldn't be safe in some locations for us to have a line to sign the log, let alone it would take a lot longer to float the river if we all had to log. It may take the fun out of finding the cache for some but I believe we will have even more fun just floating the river.

BSA534
02-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Is there a certain outfitter we're all trying to use to rent a canoe? I assume we need to call now and reserve one.

rklmbl
02-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Reference the 2-13-2008 Post above....Dentful, don't hold your breath waiting for me to get in a canoe and go after that cache.
mbl

SJClimber
02-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Good morning. I reserved a canoe from http://www.caddoriver.com as suggested by Dentful1 earlier in the thread. Apparently I was the first to call Ron at the rental service to hold a canoe. I gave 8:00AM for arrival, though am unsure if that is acceptable. As we get closer to the date, we'll need to be more specific about times so Ron can arrange the shuttle. Guess I should recheck the thread/website to see about times, etc.. As an aside, the idea of individual boats hunting for specific caches seems reasonable to avoid getting wet. (Note: 9:00AM was mentioned in the thread, so I'll email Ron at the outfitters).

RugerPilot345
02-16-2008, 08:56 AM
uh uh uh uh....I like the idea of Mrs. Cachemates going deep into the woods for all the caches......I will even allow her to abbreviate and use RP345 to sign the cache, that way it won't take as long......ha ha......Mr. Cachemates (Jerry) you had better get Bonnie ready....I think she has been volunteered (by Dentful1) as the snake thrower and cache logger....ha ha way funny.....man I hope this weather holds out for this event, this is going to be way fun!!

8)

Joe (RP345)

RugerPilot345
02-16-2008, 09:00 AM
for waterproof coverage and still having access to all controls you can not beat this item.......I have one and love it....we kayak and use it often, also good for duck hunting and ATV'ing.......give it a shot!!

http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/erol.html#592X1120

8)

Joe (RP345)

Dentful1
02-16-2008, 10:27 AM
I have been in Contact with Ron Kurnik with Caddo River Camping and Canoe Rental. I have forwarded him the Event Page and the Float Trip Page. Ron is excited about this considering he has a big part in the Chamber Of Commerce. Ron is aware of the times and as we get closer I will ask for a "WILL ATTEND" post by all who plan on coming, then I will give Ron the #s so he can plan for the shuttle. We all need to be praying for outstanding weather and water levels.

oenavigator
02-16-2008, 10:52 PM

Team_Pink
02-18-2008, 08:06 PM
The way I see it, they make those GPSs beep for a reason. If it beeps, you got close enough, log it! I call it the "Log it Beep"! My 60Cs does a fine job and saves me lots of steps and unnecessary travel!

:twisted:

B62GTAWK
02-18-2008, 08:24 PM
The way I see it is Dentful1 owns the caches its up to him what is acceptable or not.

oenavigator
02-18-2008, 10:54 PM

BSA534
02-19-2008, 07:24 PM
So its the beep? I thought it was when the little checkered flag showed up... thats when I thought it was found! :lol:

Clark~Griswold
02-19-2008, 07:45 PM
I'll be in Mississippi and won't be able to make the trip, so could you sign my name to the cache logs too? Just email me the list and I'll copy and paste the logs.

Dentful1
02-28-2008, 07:09 PM
3 weeks until the fun begins. Look at your calendars and check and make sure your off and free for the weekend. I will ask for a "will attend" on this forum next week to get an idea of the numbers. Also remember there is an EVENT scheduled around the float. Note that the event is just a plain basic meet/greet and exchange T.B. info. No hoopla or bells and whistles this year, next year hopefully the City and the area businesses will pick up the expenses and we'll have a big shindig. Also remember that it is a morning than break off and then rejoin in the evening event.

HikerRon
02-29-2008, 08:13 AM
Is there a chance that this float will be cancelled at the last minute due to high/low water level, or bad weather?
if so, would the notice be on these forums, or the events page? or both?

Dentful1
02-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Yes, there is a chance of canceling the trip due to high water. I don't think there is a problem with the water being too low right now. I pass over that river 4 times a day and I do pay attention to the water levels. I will give updates more often as the time gets closer. If for some chance the river will be too high we will probably know about it a few days in advance with weather patterns and I will then cancel the trip on all posts and event pages. Keep your fingers crossed and keep praying for excellent weather and river conditions.

HikerRon
03-03-2008, 09:28 AM
okey-dokey, got my canoe reserved today. i bet that river is rising today 8O

Dentful1
03-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Well, just 2 weeks away for our adventure. If you have noticed the weather is playing a game called "you can't predict weather for your float trip." As of right now you may need to find snow shoes, skis and have plenty of thermal underwear on. We may end up looking like a bunch of Eskimo's floating the river. :lol:
As I have mentioned previously, please bring DRY CLOTHING to this trip to change into.
I did mention previously about a possible cancellation due to high water. This also includes extremely cold weather. AS OF RIGHT NOW EVERYTHING IS A GO!!!! When we get 5-7 days out we will know what to expect for the trip.

Lets go ahead and get the "WILL ATTEND" List going. By posting a "Will Attend" you will not be bound by any contract to float the river an any extreme circumstance. The only contractual agreement made is MRS. CACHEMATES will be the OFFICIAL SNAKE THROWER, she agreed to this while in her sleep discussing the trip with Mr. Cachemates. :wink: Everybody say thank you to her. :lol:

Dentful1
03-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Whoever did the "rain dance", shame on you. :x The river looks like the Colorado River, not the prestene site you see at the Grande Canyon but the roaring brown part with logs floating down stream. :lol: Here is an old curse to the one who did the dancing: "May a thousand fleas from a camels butt infest your armpits." :lol: :lol:

We are expecting more rain this coming week. The river was going to be PERFECT but it rained. I still believe in miracles and I am praying for one right now.

SJClimber
03-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Yo folks. Keep an eye on the levels. Big jump last week and more rain expected. Though we have direct monitoring (Dentful1), this is a cool site to know if you like to canoe. http://www.ozarkpages.com/cgi-bin/stages.pl?ST=level

Dentful1
03-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Thank you SJClimber. :D I have been looking for that website for quite some time. I found that site years ago but I forgot where it was. I did all kind of searches but nothing that came close to this site. Thank you so very much.

Yes we are expecting rain in the middle of the week. The river is flowing very good right now. There are people starting to rent and float. The season has begun. The river level will be perfect if we just get a little rain or no rain would be the best. Keep your fingers crossed and keep praying. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING THE RAIN DANCE!! :lol:

Dentful1
03-18-2008, 07:14 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: If that don't explain my emotions here is some more. :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :evil:

The witch that did the "rain dance" will be found and burned at the stake.

This rain is not good. But Saturday ain't here yet. If anyone is interested in calling the white water companies to see if we can get a 15 man raft please feel free to do so. HAHA!

Stay tuned for more info.

BSA534
03-18-2008, 07:30 PM
So if we float past the caches on whitewater does that count as a find :lol:

Dentful1
03-18-2008, 07:36 PM
:lol: As long as your gps beeps!! HAHAHA!!! :lol: :lol:

HikerRon
03-19-2008, 06:08 AM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii131/HikerRon/HRAR-Hick.jpg

this is a photo of HikerRon's and AR-Hick's version of caching from a canoe. 8O

cachemates
03-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Caddo River this morning about 10:00.http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c34/1945Jero/100_1617-1.jpg

Dentful1
03-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Thank you Jerry for the Photo. You should have seen it at 2:45 AM. It was about 8 feet from the bathroom/showers on HWY 8 side. There was a tent wrapped around a tree at that first campsite.

NEEDLESS to say our float trip is POSTPONED!! Get your calendars out and think of a few good weekends that you might want to float. During the Glenwood Event Saturday we can see if we can all agree on another date.

The Event (which has nothing to do with the float) will still go on. I bet there are some diamonds that got exposed in this long hard rain. There even might be a muddy puddle to splash a 4-wheeler in.

CANOE TRIP POSTPONED!!

Dentful1
03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
That is a hilarious picture Hikerron. You know that if we wait til July to float the river that would be a reality, dragging your canoe across rocks, not concrete.

I would like to say again:

THE FLOAT TRIP IS POSTPONED!!!
The First Annual Meet and Greet/Bug Swap In Glenwood is still a go. :mrgreen:

cfd29
03-19-2008, 04:56 PM
We still plan on being there, we had talked ourselves out of the float trip before the monsoon. Hope none of the caches got washed away!!

SJClimber
03-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Will still be there and may even rent a smaller craft and try the caches if level drops below 8'. We'll see...

Dentful1
03-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Good to hear that cachers are still going to venture on down to Glenwood. SJClimber............ 8 feet is still up there. If you have got skills then go for it. I'll cheer you on, right behind you in my own canoe. HAHA! :lol: 5 - 6 feet is ideal for the Caddo.

As for the caches in the Series. There are 2 caches that I am concerned about. One cache I can check on tomorrow but the other is way up river and I haven't investigated as how to get there by land, yet. :wink:

We are still going to have fun and Glenwood will be glad to see cachers in the area.

I found out who the "witch" is. Her back is in bad shape from all the dancing. I will furnish the firewood if anybody would like to bring the match. Another HAHA! :lol: :lol:

HikerRon
03-19-2008, 06:03 PM
nice photo of the Caddo Reservoir:) i think i will come on down for the event anyway. see everyone there!

Woodwalker9
03-20-2008, 03:50 PM
I'll still be there if nothing happens between now and then and I may bring Ice Cream Man with me.

Dentful1
03-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Hey SJClimber......The river is just below 8 feet and still dropping, :mrgreen: hmmmmmmm.

BSA534
03-21-2008, 08:04 AM
What time are other central Ark folks leaving to get down to Glenwood for this event? I've been there before, but I came up from Ashdown so I'm not sure how long it will take to get there from Conway. Is the best way to go down I-30 and take the Hot Springs exit?

Thanks!

AR-HICK
03-21-2008, 08:12 AM
That is the fastest way. Glenwood is 30 minutes from Hot Springs about depending on how you drive. I have not made up my mind how I am going down yet. See you there!

HikerRon
03-21-2008, 12:10 PM
i'm leaving LR about 630am. hope to be at the event around 8am.

Dentful1
03-21-2008, 12:15 PM
AS OF 1:15 P.M. UPDATE

I know the Float Trip has been officially postponed, BUT, the river is dropping faster than first thought. The river is at 7.23 feet, which is below Flood Stage. The Canoe Outfitters are now renting canoes. During high waters,above 8 feet, the rentals will not take anybody out due to liability. The water is now a "pretty green" instead of brown. I know a few has made comments about floating even if it is not at 6 feet or below.

cfd29
03-21-2008, 08:59 PM
See you guys in the morning, looks like the weather is going to cooperate this time, we will be searching for caches on land though..

:lol:

Dentful1
03-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Well, what to say. The river was still on the high side for many of our cachers. I had the opportunity to help rescue a couple that have fallen victim to the river while we were on our way back from Caddo Cliff. The guy lost his shoes so I gave him mine to where for the half mile walk to the highway, I had my chest waders on so I could help get the conoe out from "under" the river. Look at your calendars and lets try to get something going later on. SJClimber was really wanting to firm up a date. HikerRon is also wanting to know when. This is hard to get a date on, today was a good example of that with the foul weather rains we had this week. Let's get out of the rainy months and BEFORE the schools let out. The river is packed during the summer. Lets get some suggestions and everybody can see on this thread and comment on it.

Team Panda
03-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Man, I've really got to remember to visit the forums more often.

I had no idea the event we attended was so different from the event which was planned but it didn't matter, we had an absolute ball anyway!

Still, if y'all decide you want to make another attempt at doing this as an event, please don't even think about going without the Pandas! After all, there's still one out there we had to DNF and I've got to get it some time or other, might as well do it as part of a mass attack.

When we did the series last year, we knew full well the water was too low but the chance to get that many FTFs over-rode our common sense by a wide margin. (Ask Quartzcachers how this happens!)

I just checked and we did that run on July 26th which is the latest in the year we've ever rode the Caddo and yeah, we did a LOT of dragging and the rocks were awful big in the rapids but still, a couple of fat old pandas made it.

Honestly, I think any attempt made before the 4th of July would be okay. At least I'd be willing to go that late! (The water would be a LOT warmer too!)

We've got the big events down at Lake Catherine on Memorial Day so that kind of ties up the last half of May, first half of June, but there's nothing going on locally in April and the water should still be high enough to make for a FLOAT rather than a DRAG. (Weight limits depending, pandas displace a lot of water!)

What do you think about the last Saturday in April?

Also, if it's going to be an event, I'd like to suggest doing lunch on a gravel bar somewhere along the way. Mrs. Panda and I have had great success over the years using those little disposable, one use, charcoal grills out on the river. We just take hotdogs or burger with us, find a nice gravel bar, fire up the grill and have a nice lunch with all the fixins, then when it's over, toss the grill in the water to extinguish the fire, retrieve it, toss it in the litter bag, and head on down the river fat, dumb, and happy!

Btw, earlier time estimates for a normal float on the Caddo of about 3-4 hours are about right. In fact, if you're just floating the river, it's very difficult to make the trip last longer even if you want to.

Add 11 caches, a whole group of cachers and a flotilla of canoes and you're probably looking at a full day, "dawn-to-dusk, can-see-to-can't-see" caching adventure.

DON'T THAT SOUND AWESOME??? :D :D:D:D:D

I wouldn't miss it for anything!

Dentful, please shoot me an email if you want to pursue this, maybe we can put our heads together and come up with some sort of plan that will be workable for everybody. I'm willing to help out any way I can to make it happen!

Dentful1
03-24-2008, 08:05 PM
I am in the process of getting a calendar together with the dates of events on them and the dates that I will have to work on a Saturday along with a wedding that I must attend and a 2 week vacation planned and a ....., and a ......, and a......., and a........ Did you catch that. The white bass and the hybrid bass are getting in my way of doing this any faster. http://bestsmileys.com/fish/18.gif

Keep your eyes locked on this forum for updates. Hey SJClimber and HikerRon, any suggestions on dates that you will be in Arkcansaw?

SJClimber
03-25-2008, 08:23 PM
First Arron, thanks for putting the event together. It was nice to meet everyone, enjoy the park, morning and caching experience. I should be in Arkansas to mid-May then heading west for the summer. I'll keep an eye to the forum and the weather. River was looking nice Monday when I went towards Crystal Park. Keep us posted. SJC

Dentful1
03-25-2008, 08:27 PM
These are all the Saturday Events Posted as of now.

Clarksville or Cacheville April 19
Piney Great American CITO April 26
Burns Park Bash April 26

WWFM Big Dam Bridge May 10

ArkGeo Social/CITO May 31
Lake Catherine June 1

May would be best for warmer temps and warmer water temps. I am waiting on word of when the SWANA Road-e-o is that I compete in every year. It is usually held the 1st or 2nd Saturday of May. That more or less puts us at a May 17 or 24 float.

Team Panda was looking at the last Saturday in April but that is the Burns Park Bash. No matter when we go it will get in my way of fishing. I will have to be put on meds to pry myself from my pole during the next 2 and a half months. There is just something about hauling in a Hybrid Bass that averages 5 lbs that gets me.

Team Panda
03-25-2008, 08:40 PM
There is just something about hauling in a Hybrid Bass that averages 5 lbs that gets me.

Ah hates yew! :D Seriously, I've never caught a bass that big in my life. Catfish sure, but bass? All I ever get are "pan sized." (Think really small pan!)

Yeah, it looks like most of the Spring caching season is pretty much sewn up but I think a late May run would be very doable. Like I said, I'm up for it any time. August? Sure, why not? We'll just install titanium skidplates on the canoes and go for the gusto.

Check your mail. ;)
[/quote]

HikerRon
03-26-2008, 10:45 AM
the dates i have open between now and the end of May are:
4/5 4/12 4/26 5/3 5/10 5/17

Dentful1
04-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Comments for the date MAY 17.

What do you think? Yah, nah, maybe.

BSA534
04-03-2008, 04:51 PM
At this point that date works for us.

Dentful1
04-18-2008, 02:34 PM
May 17th going once, May 17th going twice, May 17th going .............
4 weeks until May 17th. I know some of our cachers really wanted to do this float. I have told Ron Kurnik about our tentative date, I try to keep him up to date on the progress of our adventure.
http://bestsmileys.com/water/1.gif
With the flood a few weeks ago I am not sure that we may need to put in at Glenwood and float UP to The Narrows. The river has changed some from the 6 and half inches that fell in 12 hours time. A lot of river rock has moved to one side at the 70W bridge.

HikerRon
04-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Dentful- how are the caches along the river holding up?

Dentful1
04-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I checked #7, 9, 10, and 11 today and all is well. # 7 was out from his home but luckily it has a leash. Will check the others Sunday and Monday.

HikerRon
04-23-2008, 08:04 AM
ok, 5/17 is on my calendar.

majii
04-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Sounds like fun. I think I may join in.

Dentful1
04-28-2008, 07:32 PM
I know this sounds weird but, we need a "SMALL" rain dance. Nothing that will throw your back out, just a hop or 2 will work. Maybe the witch will come through for us this time. :lol:

Going to check on my last few caches this week and everything will be a go. I am worried about 1 cache. That cache is the booger to get to without floating the river. I have found a way thanks to Google Earth, ( I love Google Earth), it requires a small 1 mile hike round trip.

I hope I am not going alone on this trip. There was a lot of interest back in the early spring but now the weather is warmer and everyone is a little leary. I know weather can screw things up. I can't control that, blame that on the witch. :wink:

Dentful1
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Checked on cache #2 and the big flood took it to Lake DeGrey. I replaced that one and it is ready. Checked on # 8 and it is still there. I will check on the rest as I get time. I am sure that those are O.K. They were high enough not to be flooded out.

BSA534
04-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Now I'm having a problem with the date! One of my scouts informed me that he's doing his Eagle Scout project at Camp Robinson that day. I'm hoping it gets changed as I really need to be there for it! Hopefully it will get postponed.

QuartzCachers
04-30-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm out dawg! Mrs.Q (yes she really does exist) has some college graduation thingy or another going on that day, and she says if she has to be there, I have to be there. :roll: Oh well, y'all have a great time!

majii
04-30-2008, 07:58 AM
As it turns out, I won't be able to make it either. I had forgotten that I'm on-call that weekend, so I probably shouldn't be inaccessible... :)

Dentful1
05-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Canoe Trip is still a "GO" as of right now. The river is low but rain is to move in mid week and hopefully will get the river to rise a little. I have made contact with a few of those that were really interested in going this time and I have now set a time.

9:30 am Meet below rental office (close to Coords for # 11 cache)

We will try to be on the river by 10:00 am and hopefully it will only take 4-5 hours. (This all depends on how fast you are and how much water you displace) :lol:

Here is the Website for the rental company of choice.
http://www.caddoriver.com/

Team Panda
05-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Hey Aaron,

I hate to do it, but I've got to cancel for tomorrow. Some unexpected and fairly considerable business expenses come up and my discretionary funds are running pretty tight this month.

When you get to Cache #6, be sure to take a canoe paddle or something long and heavy up there to check for THE SNAKE. A shotgun might not be a bad idea either, but I can't really see y'all floating down the river armed to storm the beach. :D

Y'all have fun, it should be a beautiful day for it and it's killing me to miss it.

I'll be looking forward to reading your logs!

Dentful1
05-17-2008, 02:49 PM
SUCCESS!!!!!!
What a great trip today. SJClimber and Rhone joined me on a successful float trip on the Caddo River to find the "Cachin' On The Caddo Series." The river was full of Boyscouts from around the Texarkana area and there were also a fair amount of drunks also.http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/4.gif
The trip took 4 hours and the river was at a perfect level at 5.90 feet. The river was a little cool but not bad if you didn't flip over. We were very professional today and stayed dry. There was plenty of entertainment with all the drunks flipping over in the rapids. At one corner the river was very swift and took you right under a leaning tree and if you did not manuver properly you would flip. The Boyscouts decided to stop there and help each other out retrieving all the gear and getting canoes up on shore and empty the water out. They were there a while as one after another went belly up.
I did kill a snake on the very first cache. A 2 1/2 foot Cotton Mouth. I grabbed a half dollar sized Red Ear Slider turtle for my wife. We have two at the house in a forty gallon tank. I found two arrowheads while walking to a couple of caches. The river did change a little since the Great Flood and I am going to have to add a note to one of the caches that you have to walk a ways to get to it because the river now goes left. I wore a "wife beater" and I got home and took it off and I look like I still have it on. http://bestsmileys.com/fire/2.gif

If any cacher would like to go late in the summer just write some input in this thread. The water then would be very warm and the river will be WAY down. Hopefully we can get a trip right after a rain. I will probably go again late in the summer. If any of you want to go now don't wait on me, just go on and have a good time.

oenavigator
05-17-2008, 03:28 PM

SJClimber
05-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Our trip with Aaron was as described; a fantastic day, despite the reptiles and crazy humans. Actually, they were comic relief. Sometimes watching members of our species in action makes me wonder how we got this far. Whew.

Well, you folks need to do this series. Besides a wonderful venue, Aaron has done a bang-up job of hiding the caches and spent time and $$$ to set this up for our enjoyment. My hat's off to him for the energy spent..