PDA

View Full Version : Seven Hollows Expedition

idratherbehiking
12-13-2007, 03:26 AM
I am planning on going to Petit Jean State Park to hike the Seven Hollows Trail on Wednesday December 19th. There are 3 new caches along the trail that I am going to find along with 1 other in the park that I have not found. There are 4 other caches along the trail and many, many others within the State Park. The Seven Hollows Trail is a 4.2 mile loop trail that has plenty of sights to see including waterfalls, a natural bridge, plenty of interesting rock formations, and lots of bluffs and places to explore. In August 2000, a forest fire burned through the Seven Hollows area and consumed about 864 acres in the state park. There is plenty of evidence of the many large trees that were killed but the area continues to change as the new growth emerges. I have been back about 3 to 4 times per year to hike the trail and it still amazes me how fast the area has recovered. If anyone is interested in joining me for this hike just send me an email or private message and we can make plans to meet.

idratherbehiking
12-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Due to some changes in holiday plans I am going to be unable to go on this hike on Wednesday the 19th. I will try and reschedule at a later time. I have emailed everyone who expressed interest in going. Sorry for any inconvenience. Hope to see everyone on the trails.

AR-HICK
02-03-2008, 10:36 PM
I had to share this log with everyone. My friend 4wheeling took his family on Seven Hollows today. This is one of his logs.

4wheeling-1 found Water Trick (Traditional Cache) at 2/3/2008

Log Date: 2/3/2008
we got to this spot and Sarah said she knew where it was, she pointed to a location and I told her it wasn't there it was further on up, we went further on up and then I had to come back down, by myself, to get the cache, turns out it was right where she was pointing, she decided since I didn't listen to her then I needed to go get the cache and bring it to her so she could look at the swag, I agreed and made the extra trip, some times we just need to listen, we had the best time today and I wouldn't trade it for anything, I have the best family in the world and trips like this make me realize and appreciate it, thanks for placing all these caches so we could come and find them, took ball and left critter

Thanks Jeff, This is what caching is all about. I am glad you and your family enjoyed the day. Thanks for finding my caches.

idratherbehiking
02-05-2008, 12:22 AM
I wish all hiking stories could be like that. This trail is the reason my wife won't hike with me anymore. About 12 years ago we did the whole trail and she wasn't quite up to it physically and hasn't gone with me since. She did tell me the other day that she wanted to start going on short hikes with me again. It's about time.

4wheeling-1
02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
We did have a blast, we have never been on a hiking trip of this distance, we learned a few very important things, the main thing is to make sure you have plenty of time, take a few supplies and turn off your cell phone so you will have plenty of battery in case you need it, I know this is a short hike and not too dangerous but to be honest I felt kinda stupid and little scared when we were a mile and a half from the truck and less than an hour before dark, my phone was dead, we had no flashlight and NO ONE knew we were here, worst of all I had no more DR.PEPPER (haha), I can't wait till we go find all the BSA caches, you can bet I will be prepared for that one

GeoJeepers
02-05-2008, 07:14 PM
:) Several years ago my family made this hike, BAD IDEA, the kids were too small and it made for a long day. Last year I made a return trip to try to find the caches in the rain. I love this trail, and now that AR-HICK has put out some more, I'm ready to go again, but I bet the rest of the crew will still be sleeping in the camper when I do it! :lol: