PDA

View Full Version : Wobbling Rock cache

iplay10us2
11-13-2007, 07:15 AM
I hope someone on this forum can help me. I was looking at caches in the Harriet, AR area that I planned to do on my way home to Little Rock from the Mountain Home area. I found one that mentioned it took you to Wobbling Rock and part of the directions included turning past the church, etc. I didn't download the cache at the time because I was getting ready to leave for Mountain Home. Imagine my surprise (and my wondering if I had lost my mind) when I couldn't find the cache listed at gc.com. There are several other caches in the area, but none mention Wobbling Rock at all. I guess the cache was archived shortly after I saw it. I am hoping someone on this forum has found it and still has the GC number for it so I can at least get the coordinates to the site. I would love to find Wobbling Rock even if the cache is gone.

Thanks.

Hotdogs_Off_Trail
11-14-2007, 08:37 PM
We have just returned home from two wonderful weeks of camping, hiking, and geocaching in the Natural State. Cachecrazies emailed your question to us.

While in Arkansas we did a hike to "Tilting Rock" located on the Ozark Hiking Trail. I believe that this may be the rock you are looking for. We drove thru Cozahome and out to the Wagon Gap Trailhead, and it's not too far down the trail.

We hiked down the trail and found the rock, but didn't see anything about it other that it was tilted, so I asked Bonnie to stand out by the far edge of it and I'd take her picture. As she moved to the edge, her eyes got big and said "It's moving!!" to which I said "No way". She wouldn't move until I got her off the rock. It's must weigh a couple tons and just "tilts" back and forth 4-6 inches....enough to make one a bit uneasy.

I have the Wagon Gap Trail head at N36* 04.033
W 092* 28.709

Tilting Rock at N 36* 03.961
W 092* 28.530

There is no cache there, I assume because both locations are in the Buffalo National River Wilderness.

We found this location in a great new book, "Ozark Highlands Trail Route - Lower Buffalo Wilderness" that we purchased from Tim Erenst at Cloudland.net

If this is not what you are looking for, it's still a beautiful drive to get to and a great hike!

iplay10us2
11-15-2007, 07:56 AM
That sounds like it!!! I bet the cache got archived because it was in the Buffalo Wilderness. It was so weird reading a cache page and then finding it completely gone 2 days later! I learned my lesson, though. If I find a cache/location that sounds interesting, I will take the time to download it right then.

Thanks for your information and help.

Gaddiel
11-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Yep, we have visited the "Wobbling Rock", too. Very spooky to stand there on the rock as it is moving. From the front, it appears that the rock is on the edge of a very steep dropoff. Makes for a great video.... :D