PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for #1000.

idratherbehiking
10-25-2007, 07:49 PM
I am planning on reaching 1000 by the end of the year and I am trying to decide which cache it will be. I want it to be one that involves a good hike to get to. If anyone has any suggestions please post it here. I may even try to make it an event hike like Flannelman's earlier in the year.

OldRiverRunner
10-26-2007, 08:51 PM
A couple come to mind, and both require a nice hike. My first recommendation is "Marinoni Cache" (GCHF21), hidden in a magical area along the Ozark Highlands Trail. A second recommendation, also along the OHT, is "OHT # 2 - Railroad Bed" (GCH5YW). -- ORR

cachemates
10-27-2007, 05:16 AM
We have not found the two ORR mentioned, but I don't think you would be disappointed with Hawksbill Crag or Glory Hole.

topkitty98
10-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Hawksbill Crag, Glory Hole after a good rain, Marinoni is GORGEOUS, Winding Stairs
Pam's Grotto

I'm sure I'll think of more!

(Hey, Hawksbill Crag is the photo on the front cover of our Arkansas History books!)

Spice
10-27-2007, 09:59 AM
(Hey, Hawksbill Crag is the photo on the front cover of our Arkansas History books!)

My daughter had this history book in school year before last. I looked at the cover and said "Hey, there's a cache there!"

The cahces mentioned in this thread are ALL caches that are on our "wish list" and we hope to one day make one of them a find no matter which number they happen to fall on :)

Hawksbill would be a perfect cache for our 1000th find because ddkds is afraid of heights and the photos of the crag alone make her nervous so it would be milestone for us in more ways than one.

idratherbehiking
10-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Of all the suggestions so far Marinoni is the only one I have not been to yet. I have been planning a hike in that area since before I started caching. I just never did it yet. So far that may be my choice. I was also thinking of hiking the Redding/Spy Rock Loop Trail for my 1000th. There are 2 caches along the trail that I have not found and the Spy Rock cache was my first find back in October 2003 and I found it by accident. That is how I found out about geocaching. So I thought what better way to celebrate number 1000 than by revisiting my 1st on the same day. Keep the suggestions coming.

oenavigator
10-27-2007, 01:04 PM
:D

nonnipoppy
10-28-2007, 09:23 AM
We would have suggested Glory Hole and Hawksbill Crag both but since you have done them I think that Marinoni would be the one. It is a beautiful spot. Have you done Pam's Grotto? That is also a special place.

enjoy.............poppy

idratherbehiking
10-28-2007, 03:02 PM
I have not found the caches at Glory Hole or Hawksbill Crag but have visited both several times before I started caching. I found the Pam's Grotto cache on the way home from Flannelmans hike back in March. I really want it to be a place that I have not been before. That does not leave me with many choices considering how much hiking I did before I started caching.

OldRiverRunner
11-11-2007, 05:54 PM
While logging some of today's finds, I was reminded of a series of caches in Johnson County that few have found (at least all of the series) and requires about a 9 mile roundtrip hike, give or take, depending upon how far you want to drive in. The series is called the Wet Spadra Series, and consists of (1) We're Not Bluffing, Are We? (GCTPAA); (2) Don't Initial Here (GCTPEF); (3) Cold Springs -- AKA SpainHour Falls (GCTPEN); and (4) Wet Spadra Upper Falls (GCTPEW). I did these all over a year ago and the area is beautiful. I don't think a couple of them have been found again since my visit. I'm willing to bet you could get a group together who would be eager to go after this challenging series! -- ORR

flannelman
11-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Man that sounds like a great trip no matter which cache you pick!!!! I'd like to tag along if work doesn't get in the way. I'll soon be changing to a weekend shift and won't be able to do my expeditions next year :(

It's always a lot of fun to get togather and go after a bunch of caches with friends.

idratherbehiking
11-15-2007, 09:30 AM
I am back working in Little Rock a few days a week right now. I am not sure what my schedule will be like over the next few weeks so I may try to go for number 1000 this Sunday. I just reached 999 this morning. I will make my decision by tomorrow and post it here sometime midday.

topkitty98
11-15-2007, 11:32 PM
We have taken our Jeep into the Wet Spadra series. We only got the first two caches then got fascinated with the falls and all and spent all our time taking photos. This trip was a major inspiration for some pretty hefty "tricking out" of the Jeep! I know, I know, we are wimps when it comes to long hikes, but taking the Jeep through some of this stuff is pretty fun! I can't wait to go back - Cold Springs/Spainhour Falls is a very pretty spot. (The skid plates and teeny little lift kit on the car will help my nerves too!)

idratherbehiking
11-16-2007, 05:39 PM
OK due to some changes at work and some projects at home I have decided to put off going for number 1000 until December 8th. It's going to be tough to wait that long. I will set up the event on GC.com next week.

Q
11-17-2007, 06:09 AM
We only got the first two caches then got fascinated with the falls and all and spent all our time taking photos.......
More times than I can count, this has happened to us. I get a list of 10 or so to find and we do one or two and get sidetracked and just end up playing in the woods. These wonderful hills are still fascinating to this swampland flatlander. My kids don't get it. A waterfall, bluff or rock outcrop is a big deal. A hill to us was 50 ft tall.

Happy hunting!

ChuckWalla
11-18-2007, 10:37 AM
I have decided to put off going for number 1000 until December 8th. ... I will set up the event on GC.com next week.

Please note that a gathering of geocachers to hunt for geocaches does not qualify as an "event cache" and will not be published on Geocaching.com. Sorry!

topkitty98
11-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Could he have a Breakfast Meet and Greet? People could afterwards hang around and talk more, or go home, or go caching in big clumps? That's what we all do after events anyway - hang around and talk or go home or go caching in clumps. . .

flannelman
11-19-2007, 07:41 AM
That's what I did at the Searcy event. Flannelman's Breakfast Club. We met for breakfast, had a coin view and swap, and gave away some door prizes, after that everyone went caching.

5beavers
11-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I too am looking for that perfect cache to log as my 1000th find. :mrgreen:

jacksonb
03-31-2008, 07:55 PM
I reviewed this thread as I was approaching #1000. It seemed a lot of folks were recommending Hawksbill Crag. I only had two concerns. First, it was a long way from Paragould. Second, I don't like heights. But I decided to go for it and hopefully have a memorable milestone, even though the last log was a DNF.

My two sons and I headed out on a boys road trip, geocaching along the way. Unfortunately, I somehow lost my 60CSx at a cache in Mountain Home and was worried that was a very bad omen for the rest of the trip. However, we pressed on, using my older etrex Legend as a backup GPSr.

We spent the night in Harrison with 993 finds. Saturday morning, we headed south, picking up six more finds along the way. We arrived at the parking area around noon and started the hike to the crag. I was able to manage my fear of heights enough to enjoy an excellent cache. A couple of pictures are below and you can read the log here (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1971f834-fdc7-4eb9-94c6-602cad791af9). I would recommend this cache for anyone looking for a memorable caching experience.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/b3da3d14-fa5d-46bf-add9-cb3d9e102120.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/3216db24-fea1-47a9-91ab-59f0c13e8a0d.jpg

idratherbehiking
03-31-2008, 08:14 PM
Congratulations on your 1000th find. I have not been up there to get that cache yet but have been to the crag several times in the past. This is a place that everyone should visit. Maybe someone will hide some more caches in that area for us to find.

topkitty98
04-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Okay, folks, we've found another truly fascinating spot! This past Sunday, we made the trek to Hudson Shelter Falls. WOW! The terrain is rated a 4, but the hike was not bad at all. The road was probably the worst part of getting there. It is a peaceful, tranquil, gorgeous valley with huge boulders, flowing creeks, then you get to the falls. WOW

Gotta do it, ya'll!
I'm thinking that anything by Captain Atom is out of this world. I'd really like to meet him. Every one of his we have done is outstanding.