PDA

View Full Version : Premium Membership: Worth it?

HercRx
07-20-2007, 07:52 PM
I've been considering a premium membership for quite a while now. What makes it worthwhile? What are your favorite features?

SJClimber
07-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Premium membership to geocaching.com??

cupstack
07-21-2007, 04:18 AM
If you are referring to the premium membership at geocaching.com - it has been worth it to me because I can download the *.gpx files, create pocket queries, and download caches directly to my GPS. Being able to do the pocket queries has been the best benefit to me.

flannelman
07-22-2007, 08:00 PM
I can think of a few things:
Pocket queries are great,
Bookmark lists are handy,
Some caches are members only,
Oh Yea!! Pocket Queries are great!!

HercRx
07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks folks! Yeah, being more specific....premium membership to geocaching.com...worth it or not?

BTW....what exactly is a pocket query?

AR-HICK
07-22-2007, 09:39 PM
Being able to download the coords(gpx file) into your gps that is a pocket query. If your gps came with a computer cable? And if you get a PDA you can go paperless. If you want to increase your number of finds being a premium is a must. If you just like going out and seeing the interesting different locations you can just download them manually in your gps.
I am lazy and I hate typing in the numbers I also like my PDA for other things it does, but geocaching is what I use it for mostly.
For more information try http://www.geocacher-u.com/

I hope this helps. I may have created more questions than anwsers. :?

cupstack
07-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Pocket Queries can be used to search for caches within a certain radius of your house or search for specific types of caches or many other options and be able to easily download the list (which is usually a gpx file type) to your computer and then into your GPSr.

The gpx file type will contain more detailed information about the cache (such as logs, dates, hints, etc.) than the loc file type .

searcykid
07-23-2007, 05:45 PM
The ones posting here indicate that you cannot download the coordinates of the cache directly to your GPSr unless you are a premium member, but you can . . I do not have to manually enter the coordiants to my GPSr and I am just a member.
You use the LOC format.
The pocket queries are a different matter. You do have to be a premium member to use the GPS file. If if was going to use a PDA then I would definetly go premium.

OldRiverRunner
07-23-2007, 06:47 PM
I can think of a few things:
Bookmark lists are handy,
Some caches are members only,
Oh Yea!! Pocket Queries are great!!

I think flannelman said it all very well! And yes, you can download coordinates directly into your GPS unit without a Premium Membership or a pocket query, but I believe you have to do it one cache at a time. I typcially download 500 caches at a time using the pocket query. Comes in real handy, especially for a trip when I can get a list of all caches in the general area I'll be visiting and then download the coordinates into my GPS unit in just a few minutes.

Also, it's only $3 a month. You'll easily spend that much on gas in less than an hour of geocaching! I recommend you try it for a couple of months and see if you like it or not. You can always cancel your membership after that. My bet is that you will stick with it once you try it! -- ORR

bronco2
07-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Before we became premium members I didn't really think it mattered, but it makes a world of diffrence. It's definately worth it!!

Rach
>_<

OldRiverRunner
07-25-2007, 07:30 PM
While researching some geocaches in the Jackson, MS area, I saw the following note contained in several caches:

Originally a PMO Cache (Just for 30 Days!)
This was initially listed as a Premium Members Only cache as I think all geocachers should do their part to support Geocaching.com. It was opened to all members 30 days after being published.

PMO = Premium Member Only. I thought this was a neat idea and made me realize that as a Premium Member, I am supporting Geocaching.com! And the website has been pretty good to me over the last few years, giving me the key to hours of enjoyment in the great outdoors almost every weekend! -- ORR

Team_Pink
07-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Pocket queries would not be complete without GSAK. GSAK is a ~$30 database program that lets you manage the information in the pocket queries. You can slice and dice the data any way you want. Let's say you are going somewhere (short trip) and want to load the GPS with all the caches between you and your destination. Pull up GSAK and tell it to show all the geocaches north of your home for example. Click send to GPS and your ready to go!

If it is a long trip, you can use the route feature on GC.com and do the same.

There is a new Geobuddy program from Topografix that looks pretty cool. It costs $100 and it has some formidable competition in GSAK.

oenavigator
07-26-2007, 05:51 PM
:D

HikerRon
08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
all the obvious reasons are stated above. also, the money supports the website.
without that website, there would be no geocaching.
it's the best entertainment bargain i can think of.

HikerRon
08-01-2007, 05:36 PM
concerning Premium Member only caches, i started out with all my caches as PM'Os. then i changed my mind and opened them all up thinking i would get more logs and finds. didnt happen. at least not enough to matter.
but i did get some of my caches muggled, stolen, vandalized. after someone left me a note saying ' i stole your cache because i needed parts for my spaceship' (?) i changed some of my caches back to PMOs.
some people think (or hope) they will get a better grade of cacher by making their caches PMOs. i dont necessarily agree. not in my experience.
currently, i have caches of both types out there.