PDA

View Full Version : NEW SERIES OF CACHES - ASKING FOR YOUR HELP!

topkitty98
07-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Hey ya'll!

Some members of the ArkGeo Board and I have been discussing a new series of caches we'd like to see ArkGeo folks get started in Arkansas. A cacher named cgeek began a series in Tennessee called LTL - Loop the Loop. Originally it was begun to give folks caches within a half mile of the exits off I-40 from Memphis to Jackson and has now spread across to their border with North Carolina. Think - we could take I-40 to Oklahoma, I-30 to Texas, and I-55 to Missouri! There are many caches already in place that could just add the series designation to the beginning of their cache name, such as I-40 Exit 78, Rusty's Cache # 2. This could help travelers, especially with the attributes such as nearby restrooms, etc. Most of theirs are easy, some a bit more difficult. Imagine the potential for a mega-cache run! For an example of theirs, try looking at LTL - Appling Road by cgeek (GCWAED). I do think we should list the Exit number or mile marker.

Some name ideas:
Arkansas Interstates
Caching Across Arkansas
Welcome to Arkansas
Border to Border - Traveling Arkansas
Exit Arkansas
Arkansas Next Exit
Arkansas Naturally Loves Cachers

We could do any of these with the acronym, then the exit number. If there is more than one at an exit, we could list it as east or whichever side is the closest.

I have a tentative cache description started, anyone will be free to cut and paste or do their own thing.

Need not be a member - this is just for fun!

I'll also volunteer to do a bookmark list for at least one of the interstates.

What cha'll think?

TnT
07-18-2007, 07:29 PM
I think the idea is great. One of the things we like about geocaching is that now, when we drive to visit family, we have an excuse to stop every so often to stretch our legs (and find a cache). If you want some in our neck of the woods (I540 through Rogers), count us in.

OldRiverRunner
07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
I'll throw this out for general consideration and comment:

I like Beth's suggested name of Caching Across Arkansas for the name of the series, and I suggest using CAA, for short. A cache on I-40 would be CAA I40; on I-30, CAA I30; and on I-55, CAA I55. For the exit, just use "X" and the exit number. (OK, bear with me!)

For example, Rusty's #2 would be:

CAA I40 X78 -- Rusty's #2.

If an exit has two caches (one eastbound and one westbound on I-40, for example), just put an E or W after the exit number.

Also, as TnT stated, there are also the spur interstates to consider: I-540 (Ft. Smith to Rogers) and I-530 (Little Rock to Pine Bluff). I'm not too sure about placing caches along the urban spurs of I-430, I-630, and I-440 in Little Rock, though. I believe the LTL series in TN avoids the major urban area exits. -- ORR

AR-HICK
07-18-2007, 10:51 PM
I think this is a great idea. I will be willing to place caches at 4 exits in Conway County along I-40. I am just wondering what will be the best name for the series. I like "Exit Arkansas" and "Cache Across Arkansas" I will be watching for more feedback and once a name for the series is decided I will place the caches.
I think it is a great idea and I have plans for 2 new caches close to 2 exits anyway. I just haven't gotten around to placing them.

oenavigator
07-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Great Idea!

I vote for something along the lines of "Exit Arkansas". Seems to be more of an invitation to visit. If you need any placed on I-40 in the Fort Smith area or along the I-540 spur in the same area count me in.

idratherbehiking
07-19-2007, 04:16 PM
I think this is a great idea for a series. I can place one at work at exit 84 for sure and can check on the others in Russellville.

cupstack
07-20-2007, 08:42 AM
I like the idea.

As for the name, are there any ideas relating to our state theme - "The Natural State".

How about: "Caching in the Natural State"

Otherwise I like "Caching Across Arkansas"

oenavigator
07-20-2007, 09:57 AM
I like the idea.

As for the name, are there any ideas relating to our state theme - "The Natural State".

How about: "Caching in the Natural State"

Otherwise I like "Caching Across Arkansas"

esa es una buena idea :D

searcykid
07-20-2007, 12:50 PM
It's also one good idea.

oenavigator
07-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Ok, the next one's in Greek :lol:

When will we know the official name for the series? Also, does anyone have a link to a geocaching permit from the AHTD or a contact name. I've got a 50 cal ammo can ready to go.

Μπορείτε να δοκιμάσετε πάλι

8O

flannelman
07-22-2007, 07:52 PM
SOunds great to me!! I could take a couple along I-30, @ 70W and maybe JJ's truck stop, and @270 in the Malvern area. I don't live real close to those areas but I pass by those places often, sometimes twice a day!!

topkitty98
07-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Okay, one more name idea -

How about LTL - Arkansas Style

Ties us into the Tennessee series, so keyword searches would pull us up as well as searches for Arkansas.

??? I am placing today and will have the pages ready to submit --

Gaddiel
07-23-2007, 11:06 AM
I think I like "Caching Across Arkansas (CAA)", since it seems to describe the concept well...

Do you all think there should be any guidelines for cachers who would like to participate? I'm sure there would be some caches at rest stops, scenic overlooks, etc.

Wayne

TnT
07-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Cache Naturally
Cache the Natural State

AR-HICK
07-23-2007, 10:34 PM
My first choice is "Exit Arkansas" and my second choice would be "Cashing Across Arkansas", but what do I know I'm just a HICK from Arkansas. :lol:

I agree that the caches should be placed withih .5 miles of an exit and it would be nice if they started with the same name. That would make it easier for a keyword search (what ever that is, I have never done it). Do we want to tie in with Tennesse caches :?:
I know nothing of TN caches cause I can't find my way out of Arkansas. :oops:

I do think it is a great idea and I am all for it :!: I will contiue to see what everyone else thinks.

bronco2
07-24-2007, 11:07 AM
I think it's a great idea. I love "Exit Arkansas"!!. I think that would be great fun. I would love to place some in Beebe, since I'm up that way quite often to see my niece. :D

We'll be watching to see what the others think about it before we decide on where to place them. :)

topkitty98
07-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Allrighty, then!

I have submitted the first new one for review! From the majority opinion, I called it CAA I-40/169 etc. etc. and put in several of the other phrases discussed in the description.

Enjoy and thanks for the help, ya'll!

topkitty98
07-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Already approved! Man, she's speedy!

I have added a bookmark list. If you want to be bookmarked into any of the interstate series and I don't notice your listing, holler at me and I'll take care of it. Thanks!

B >^..^<

nonnipoppy
07-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Already approved! Man, she's speedy!

B >^..^<

SHE? She? she? Do you have information that we don't? Inquiring minds want to know........poppy

Woodwalker9
07-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Beth, Congratulations on being the first to publish one of the new CAA caches. You did a great job on the description and I am excited about seeing this new series take off. Thank you for all your hard work in getting this project off the ground. You did good.

Gaddiel
07-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Here's the link to the inaugural CAA cache: CAA I-40/169 - Remington Park (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=569df01a-de7a-4bfd-8b00-d27fee6e1c13)

Way to go!!!

Wayne

topkitty98
07-25-2007, 11:10 AM
SHE? She? she? Do you have information that we don't? Inquiring minds want to know........poppy

Just a gut feeling is all - in fact, I heard that it was that topkitty chick. HAHA, someone forgot to tell me, though!

Woodwalker9
07-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Would like to welcome the new dedicated local Volunteer Reviewer “”Chuck Walla “” to the great state of Arkansas.

She has lots of hides and finds and it up to speed on all Park policies for cache placement including the new policy for national forest.

After a long process the right person was found for the ( sometimes thankless job ) of being a volunteer reviewer that the state can be proud of. She will be keeping her real login name anonymous, please respect that and let her do the job.

Happy Trails

Max Cacher

poppy, this may have been a diversionary tactic to throw everyone off, but this why I've always thought Chuck Walla was a "she".

nonnipoppy
07-25-2007, 04:14 PM
Would like to welcome the new dedicated local Volunteer Reviewer “”Chuck Walla “” to the great state of Arkansas.

She has lots of hides and finds and it up to speed on all Park policies for cache placement including the new policy for national forest.

After a long process the right person was found for the ( sometimes thankless job ) of being a volunteer reviewer that the state can be proud of. She will be keeping her real login name anonymous, please respect that and let her do the job.

Happy Trails

Max Cacher

poppy, this may have been a diversionary tactic to throw everyone off, but this why I've always thought Chuck Walla was a "she".

Ahhhh So. I guess that I missed this post. I was just wondering where Beth got this info. Now I be knowing. Thanks WW9.......poppy

oenavigator
07-25-2007, 05:42 PM
WOW Beth!!!!!

The listing looks fantastic! I'm sure with your guidance the entire series will be great. Is it just going to be along I-40 or are the spurs included?

OldRiverRunner
07-25-2007, 07:05 PM
CONGRATULATIONS BETH !!!! on launching this new cache series!

And existing caches to be added to this series, as well as new ones. All the owner of an existing cache has to do is edit their listing to change the name to meet the CAA format and add the information in the description about the series and -- BINGO !!! -- their cache will be part of the new series. EASY! -- ORR

OldRiverRunner
07-25-2007, 07:11 PM
I have added a bookmark list.

Where's the bookmark list? :? I checked the cache page and didn't see it listed on the right side where bookmark lists normally show up. :( -- ORR

nonnipoppy
07-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Nice Job Beth...and a great idea I might add. Congratulations on the inaugural cache, we will be looking for lots more........poppy

topkitty98
07-25-2007, 10:34 PM
I will bet I didn't check the appropriate box for the bookmark list to go public. It shows up on my cache page, but the banner doesn't and woodwalker says it does on his computer. Go figure? So I'll go back and edit the bookmarks.

Yes, OENavigator, I have bookmarks made for I 40, 30, 440, want 540, 55, and 430 added! I just ran out of time. Anyone who wants to take care of the bookmarks for 540 or 55 may really be better off than I am because I am not familiar with either of them.

GO FOR IT!

topkitty98
07-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Okay, I think I have the bookmark thing fixed. Yeah!

AR-HICK
08-01-2007, 11:18 PM
:D I added some caches to your series and I borrowed your intro for the series I hope that is alright. :oops: Thanks for starting it and I hope some other folks get on the wagon.

AR-HICK
08-01-2007, 11:27 PM
When I told Bronco2 (Todd) about the series he thought I said Caching Cross Arkansas CCA I guess I Really am a Hick :lol: at least I speak like one :lol:

topkitty98
08-02-2007, 08:40 AM
OH YES! That's what I want - this isn't intended to be a one person thing at all, I want them everywhere - shows we cooperate with each other and we're proud to be Arkies. The whole idea is to get folks to stop in our great state and cache! Yeah, Hick, and I'll look for them to bookmark now!

B >^..^<

topkitty98
08-02-2007, 08:52 AM
They are now on the bookmark list! Doesn't anyone have previously existing caches they'd like to add? Just let me know and it would be good to add the CAA deal to the beginning of the existing name.

Thanks, ya'll

oenavigator
08-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Well I got several containers ready, filled with swag, researched some cool locations, and they all have micros in them.

There's nothing worth the trouble open in my area. So it looks like I'll be of no help :cry:

DEEZER
08-16-2007, 08:53 PM
I just submitted a new cache for review. CAA I-30/117W - Rrrribit. It is in Benton. Hope it is approved soon. Yall come on down to Benton now, ya hear?

topkitty98
08-17-2007, 07:35 AM
Hey way cool! I'll put it on the I 30 bookmark list! Thanks for the heads up! I need to get down that way soooooooon!

Abiectio
08-20-2007, 06:28 PM
This is a great idea and I figured I just had to make at least a small contribution to the series. CAA I-40/275 - Tilden Rodgers (GC1597W) has been published. Topkitty98 thanks for all the hard work getting this series started. I also borrowed your intro for the series. Figured no reason to create something on my own that wouldn't have been as good.

topkitty98
08-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll go to gc.com next and get it bookmarked! Cachemates adjusted their rest stop cache to go on the I 30 list. Does anyone know a mile marker number for that one? I could add that into the bookmark list.

ChuckWalla
08-30-2007, 04:29 AM
Please do not submit caches which are hidden within the right-of-way of the interstate. This includes the area bounded by the interstate, entrance or exit ramps, and other roads crossing the interstate. I will not publish these.

Chuck Walla
Geocaching.com Volunteer Cacher Reviewer

Gaddiel
08-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Chuck Walla.

Looks like we are off to a good start!

5beavers
08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
I guess i'll place some too if noone else is going to place any around the conway area :D

BSA534
03-26-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't know how long its been, but I decided to get into the CAA act. Tonight "CAA I-40 / Exits 124/125 "Goody Goody" was published (GC1AJC6) in Conway. I enjoy hunting these caches so I figured Conway needed one (at least). Hopefully there will be more. Plenty of exits out there that need caches!

topkitty98
03-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks, BSA! I'll get it on the bookmark list!

BTW, the picture you did for me is now my desk top picture. I so appreciate it.

Thanks!
Beth
>^..^<

BSA534
03-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks! I'm glad you liked it so well.

BTW: I was able to get the markrocks Mill Creek cache on Hwy 71 today. Beautiful spot.

bmwrider1
03-31-2008, 08:47 PM
CAAI30/30 WATTER MELLON-MART
CAAI30/44 Big Truck Road Camp
CAAI30/44-46 The Battle of Gum Grove

These are ones I had out just added the CAA

obfuscation
04-19-2008, 09:02 AM
I currently have the two Blytheville exits covered on I-55. I'd be happy to remane them to include an identifier for this series. I'm leaning towards "CAA-I-55-X53S"...The caches are "GC14QY0" and "GC14Z6P". I could also get one near the Osceola exit on I-55. Great Idea !!!

topkitty98
04-19-2008, 10:19 PM
ALLLRRRIIIIIIGHTY then . . . Got the I 30 caches on the bookmark list and I am ready for the I 55 whenever you wanna do those! Thanks, ya'll! I am planning to try to fill a couple gaps between NLR and Memphis soon. (finally, right?)

Keep 'em coming, you guys! Thanks!

>^..^<

obfuscation
05-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Got the two Blytheville exits changed. Had to be delayed a little while :cry: , needed to visit daughter in Baton Rouge :D ...but they're finished now.

GC14Z6P and GC14YQ0

obfuscation
05-02-2008, 07:02 AM
TopKitty...

I keep seeing you mention a bookmark list. Where can I view it?

Thanks
Doug

obfuscation
05-02-2008, 07:21 AM
And another thing... :lol: :lol:

If only I could get all my thoughts together...at the same time, I'd be brunette. :lol:

My trouble?

I tried to do a search on the Geocache website to see if I could get a listing of all the "CAA" caches...I can't get it done. I tried just CAA in a wildcard search on the name with no results as well as "*CAA*", still none, any ideas on how to get a listing like that from the Geocaching website?

The reason is: A bookmark list or whatever, from us here is great, but not to "Joe Smith" from Indiana, who is making a trip through town. His best bet is a "cache along a route" from the website. How can this listing be available to him?

Woodwalker9
05-02-2008, 08:11 AM
I just did a search by typing in CAA I- and it brought up 15 CAA caches. I'm not sure if that is all of them or not, but it sounds close. Hope that helps.

Spice
05-02-2008, 08:18 AM
topkitty has the CAA caches on bookmark lists on her profile page.

Here are two of them (Click on the link to view the bookmark list):

Caching Across Arkansas - I 40 (http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=2e5dc049-88b7-4e9b-a7ce-0d5623efaed6)

and

Caching Across Arkansas I 30 (http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=8e947d86-5acf-493d-a11f-2f6c6c8ad6fe)

Gaddiel
05-02-2008, 09:43 AM
I tried to do a search on the Geocache website to see if I could get a listing of all the "CAA" caches...I can't get it done. I tried just CAA in a wildcard search on the name with no results as well as "*CAA*", still none, any ideas on how to get a listing like that from the Geocaching website?

The problem seems to be that geocaching.com will not search for keywords of less than four characters. If you type "CAA" in your search, you get no results. However, if you type "CAA I", you get 17 results.

We could rename the exiisting caches so that they include some common four-letter text, like "CAAI" (Cache Across Arkansas Interstates) or something similar... Most people probably would not know to do the little trick listed above...

Just a suggestion...

Wayne

obfuscation
05-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Glad you said something about the 4 characters. Might be a good idea to add that 4th to the names so a search would be fruitful. Whatcha say topkitty? :)

obfuscation
05-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Another detached thought...Back to my last portion about "Joe", how can we make this available, or obvious, or whatever to him? It still seems like a "route" series would be best and if he happens to run into one of the "CAAI" listings, then know about them. Do you think that's going to be the case, or is there something better out there? And I found the bookmarks on topkitty's page. I thought bookmarks were private to the owner only, so never looked at her profile. Thanks again for that.

searcykid
05-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Nothing is "Private" if it is published on the Internet. Once you fill out a form and say " publish" it becomes public.

Just like whispering a "Secret" to a friend and telling them to keep it a secret.

But I don't think our profile is supposed to be private. That is why some limit the amount of information they divulge in their profile.

So if the information is there, go ahead and read it.

oenavigator
05-03-2008, 10:26 AM
How about adding a section to our forums for other cachers planning on traveling through or visiting Arkansas. It would be a good place for everyone to provide links to their bookmark lists for our state parks and the CAA series and others. Kind of a one stop shop for out of state cachers to check out or post questions about their visit.

obfuscation
05-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Searcykid...You're exactly right about nothing being "private" if it's online. I think we may have hit on something though, not only with the names "CAA", but also a short "blurb" in the body of the cache explaining what "CAA" is. If "Joe" did find mine on a "route" search going south to Memphis, then he may be interested enough to do a deeper search on "CAA" and come up with the rest, or at least a good number of them. I'm going to go back and edit mine to include a short set of instructions and be sure to include a word about 4 characters in a search. You guys are all great and I wish you well.

Doug

topkitty98
05-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Okay, this morning's new geocache postings brought us CAA I 30 Exit 99 by SaveAll4Love. Thanks, ya'll!

Hey and OENAV - I like the idea of some sorta spot on the front page or whatever for bookmark lists. I may start a new thread.

BSA534
10-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Got a new one to add:

GC1H8G6 CAA I-40 / Exit 124 "Hailey's Cache"

topkitty98
10-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Already had it, thanks!