PDA

View Full Version : JAKE'S Event - 2007

cachecrazies
07-12-2007, 05:27 PM
We were told today by AGF Officer Lyndle Crownover that the JAKE'S will be held this year on September 8th and he said "Your group is MORE than invited" to be a part of it for the fourth year in a row. They really like what we've all done and definately want us back again.

So we're in the planning process! We'd love feedback from anyone that plans to be a part of this. What would you like to do this year? What did or didn't you like last year? Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the JAKE'S Event, last years event was GCXZZW. JAKES is the "Juniors Acquiring Knowledge, Ethics and Sportsmanship" sponsored by the National Wild Turkey Federation. We can't think of anything that is more in line with the geocaching ethics - knowledge (how much we've ALL learned since we've had our gpsr's), ethics/sportmanship (trade up, even or don't trade). Jake's and geocaching seem to go hand in hand.

We just wanted to give you an advance notice that's it's going to be happening again this year! JAKE'S 4TH ANNUAL EVENT :D

flannelman
07-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Looks like a great deal! I'd like to bring my kids and camp the weekend. I'm sure they'd like the event and camping. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.

Woodwalker9
07-12-2007, 06:02 PM
I am thrilled to hear that geocachers will once again be asked to participate in the Jakes event. The last 3 have been fantastic and I certainly don't want to miss this one.

If you have never attended this event, you have missed a real treat. Having the opportunity to work with these kids and seeing the smiles on their faces when they find their first cache is an experience that I will never forget.

Bob and Linda, count me in and please don't hesitate to contact me about what I can do to help prepare for this fun time. I can hardly wait.

AR-HICK
07-12-2007, 10:23 PM
AMEN WW9, the jakes event is a great time. I have been the last 2 years and am planning on this year. I can't wait to see the pretty country and see everyone there. September 8th I'LL BE THERE.

5beavers
07-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Well count us in!! The last two years we've attended and we won't be missing this one.We always enjoy caching in this area and look forward to seeing everyone real soon. :D

rklmbl
07-14-2007, 05:03 AM
Looking forward to this event and to all the new caches (and peanut butter pie and BBQ :D ) in the Mountain Home area. Please let us know what you want us to do to help out.

Geezer_Veazey
07-14-2007, 03:34 PM
When you are foot-loose and fance free there's a good chance you will show up at something like this. On the other hand there is always the possibility that some other fancy might grab your feet in the mean time. September 8th is still a long ways off and I'll just have to wait and see. I certainly enjoyed the previous JAKES I attended.

It's good to see everybody abiding by Geezer's first law of volunteering - the one that says: "Put all the burden of coming up with ideas on one person and then say 'let me know what I can do to help.' NEVER, NEVER, NEVER come up with an idea and say "I might could do thus and so. What do you think?"

Yes Sir, people around here got it right on volunteering.

Geezer

Geezer_Veazey
07-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Bob & Linda,

If my rather pointed satire caused people to stop logging their plans, I'm sorry. Some things people have just never thought about. Maybe they'll break loose now.

I'm tentatively planning on camping at Mountain View that week and coming up on Saturday. Can't say for sure yet. I thought I would make a slide show to run on my laptop. Include the cache name, a brief description, a thumbnail map of the general area, highlights from log entries (if any) and pictures I have made.

What do you think???

Geezer

cachecrazies
07-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Guy -

We think the slide show is a terrific idea! We'll get some pictures together and send them to you! If anyone else has any of the area - we hope they send them to you also. This is a very interesting idea and will add a whole new dimension to the event.

Nope - we just knew that you were being your satirical self and surely everyone else does too! You have a great sense of humor! :lol:

Geezer_Veazey
07-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Bob, I was rummaging around in the ideas crypt and found this one. Thinking about how JAKES is sponsored by the National Turkey Federation and is oriented toward the outdoors, here is an exercise using a GPS. First set a waypoint at the exhibit. Blindfold a kid and lead him in a circuitous, meandering route to a place a little distant from the exhibit. Remove the blindfold and have them use the GPS to return to the original waypoint. This would show how a GPS could be used on a turkey hunt.

A variation would be to turn tracking on and have them return by following the track on the GPS, This would bring them back the same route they were led out, and others watching could observe him return and see how it works. The route would then be deleted and the next one would be taken on a different route.

That's for what it's worth, which can't be much since I found it in the crypt.

Geezer

searcykid
07-19-2007, 09:18 AM
WOW: That sounds like a great idea to me. Teach the kids how not to get lost if they have a GPSr. You must be selling GPSrs or you might want to take a few with you to this event to sell. I can just see the parents wanting to get one to hang around their kids neck everytime they go camping or hunting, setting the waypont of camp or car and teaching the kids how to use the GPSr to find there way back if they get lost. I have heard of a lot of fatal cases of lost kids that could have been different if the parents had known about the GPSr and had learned to use it.
This is the practical way to use a GPSr, Geocaching is the fun way.

cachecrazies
07-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Geezer - That idea may have been in the "crypt" but it is an outstanding idea and we love it!

We would love to have you run your slideshow on your laptop and if you have the time you could oversee the game too. If that's not feasible - maybe someone else could do it? We do have some "camo" cloth that we can use as blindfolds! :lol:

searcykids comments were right on the money! This is the perfect opportunity for a gps usage. The kids can go home and beg the parents for a gps and get them into geocaching also! That idea is excellent in this area because the Ozarks are hard to navigate. Guess that's why we really wished we had waymarked the car when we did "The Devil's Backbone" and had to walk a few extra miles because we didn't have a waypoint to go back to! 8O

We're going to be posting on the cache page what we have in mind and what we need for others to help out with so check there if you're planning on attending! We've reserved the Spring House (at the entrance of the park) for the day for all of us geocachers to use. Frig, stove, restrooms, tables, etc. so we can cool down, rest, eat or whatever there whenever we want to. We're getting very excited - for the 4th year in a row! This is such fun!

AR-HICK
09-09-2007, 12:45 PM
:D I just wanted to Thank Bob and Linda and everyone who helped with the event. I hope you enjoy having it as much as I enjoy going to it.:D I missed the first year(I hadn't started caching yet), but not since. It's not the biggest event, but it is the friendliest and that may have something to do with the host and hostess.
I just wanted to thank the Dynamic Duo :!: Bob and Linda :!: for another GREAT EVENT.

Arkansas Hick
Mike

5beavers
09-12-2007, 02:41 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to all those who helped put on another wonderful event again this year, we had an awesome time and enjoyed visiting with everyone.we hope to see everyone again real soon!! :D