PDA

View Full Version : National Trails Day C.I.T.O. Event

polijn
05-13-2007, 10:58 AM
This hasn't been approved at the geocaching.com site yet, but it's a go from the park's point of view.

Here's the details:

While celebrating National Trails Day at Lake Ouachita State Park, we'll also be making an effort to clean them up!

We plan on hosting the clean up event from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. We will meet outside the park’s visitor center; any organizational volunteers are encouraged to come about a half hour early. Parking will be available at the visitor’s center and at the marina. We will set up our ‘headquarters’ for the event at the picnic tables on the hill behind the visitor center. Meet with our organizers there to pick up your supplies and get your assigned pickup area. The park will take care of the full bags of trash. There will be bathroom facilities as well as showers if you need them.

We also plan on providing you guys with a lunch at noon after everybody’s cleaned up. Options are sandwiches (turkey, ham, PB&J?) or chili dogs (other suggestions are welcome). Please cast a vote for sandwiches or chili dogs when you post a “Will Attend” note. You are also more than welcome to bring a pot luck dish. Please let us know if you have special diet needs – no salt, vegan, etc.

We will also be doing a Kayak Cove Cleanup. Participants are welcome to take out one of our kayaks to clean up along the shoreline. We’ll provide kayaks, paddles, and PFDs. Volunteers should contact me ahead of time to secure a kayak. We have a limited number.

A new cache will be placed within or near the park after the event. Attendees are encouraged to bring something to leave in the cache.

Our other interpreters will also be having various programs going on during the day that are appropriate for all age groups. Everyone is invited to join them. They will be posted on our website under Events.

What we will supply:
Drinking Water
Trash Bags
Gloves
A few Litter Getters
Clean-up Water
Hand Sanitizer
First Aid Supplies

What to bring:
Something to put in the new cache
Your GPSr
Please wear or bring clothes appropriate for the weather.
Sturdy, Comfortable Shoes
Sun Protection
Insect Repellant
A Litter Getter (if you have one)
Your Camera

After the event:
Lunch!
Hide our new cache.
Find area caches.
Take advantage of the trails and go for a hike.
Take advantage of the lake and go for a swim.

Please let me know if you’d like to volunteer to help me organize this thing! I’d like to do it all myself, but I know I can’t. I’ll have support from the park, but extra hands are always welcome!

Contact Info:
Ashley Wynn
Ashley.wynn@arkansas.gov (park)
polijn@gmail.com (personal)
501-767-8148 (park - Please leave a message if I’m not in!)

nonnipoppy
05-13-2007, 11:16 AM
What date?

Woodwalker9
05-13-2007, 11:17 AM
This sounds great. If nothing happens between now and then, I will be there. Thanks for getting this organized.

SJClimber
05-14-2007, 07:18 AM
From your prior thread, will the date be June 2nd ??

polijn
05-14-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm so organized... lol yes, it's June 2nd. The listing is GC12WJK. Thanks to all of you that've sent me messages of support!

cupstack
05-22-2007, 07:40 PM
If there is anyone from the Little Rock/North Little Rock area going, I've got a couple of TBs that were placed at the Burns Park Cache Bash last month whose goals are to go to events only and NOT be placed in physical caches.

Contact me if you want to make arrangements to take one or both.

Travel Bugs:
Let's KNOT Miss The Next GeoEvent! (TBKD6H)
Social Butterfly (TBZBM9)

5.23.2007 - krycek008 picked them up