PDA

View Full Version : Coming Soon!! Flannelman's May expedition.

flannelman
04-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Well it's time to start planning the next great expedition. You never know what you will encounter along the trail. We have seen many interesting things at the last two expeditions and I'm sure there will be many more!!

Here is a short list of things we have run across on previous expeditions:

Neat rock formations,
Crystal clear streams,
High moutains,
Bigfoot,
Sadistic cache containers,
Awesome wildflowers,
Aliens from Alpha Centauri,
Cool geocoins,
Wild travel bugs,
and
Flying fish.

Be sure to join up with the May expedition because you never know what we'll see next!!

idratherbehiking
04-28-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm ready to go. Just let me know when and where.

flannelman
05-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Ok, let's get some plans out there. I have had several requests to go after the next Arkansas tourisim cache and I think that is a good idea. I have also had several requests to hold a meet and greet event followed by the expedition and I also think that is a good idea. Due to not knowing where the tourisim cache will be next(not even the area in the state), I think I'll plan a meet and greet and then we can go on an expedition after that. Either way I like to have everything set up at least a week in advance. I have to work this weekend so that is quite obviously out,not to mention it's too late to plan one for this weekend. There is the option of next weekend, May 12 or May 19, or May 26. In order to have a meet and greet it has to be posted a week ahead of time so if we want to go next weekend then I need to know now. The 26th is Memorial day weekend. I'm fine with that too. And don't forget Mother's day is this month too. Give me some input on this and I'll get it set up. I'm thinking of doing breakfast meet and greet and then go on the expedition afterward for those interested. I'm looking at the Russellville area for the next expedition. There are a lot of caching oppertunities in that area.

Lemme know what ya think and I'll get it posted.

idratherbehiking
05-04-2007, 06:58 PM
It doesn't really make a difference to me but I think we might have a better turnout if it is the 19th since the weekend of the 12th is Mother's Day. I like the idea of having a meet and greet beforehand since I may not be able to do any hiking by then since I seem to have damaged my knee again. Looking forward to it. Hopefully I can get my knee back in shape enough to participate. Thansk for putting these together FlannelMan.

cachemates
05-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Flannelman, the 19th sounds like a good choice for us. We will be looking forward to it. Russellville has a lot of caches we haven't found. What ever date is selected we will try to make it.

OldRiverRunner
05-08-2007, 01:22 AM
I already have a hiking trip planned for the 19th with my church's outdoor adventure group (and I'm leading the hike). Plus, I believe I've found all the Russellville caches! :P However, if the breakfast is early enough, I might be able to join the group for some socializing before I meet up with my church group. -- ORR

flannelman
05-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I'd like to get an early start since it will be a bit warmer by then. What is a good place for breakfast in Russellville? The 19th will be the day. I have some other things I need to do the 12th. I'll see about getting a meet and greet event posted as soon as I get a place to meet lined out. I'll try to get a bookmark list out there too. It seems to make the hunt a little easier for me that way.

SJClimber
05-08-2007, 05:36 PM
19th sounds good to me. Russellville is reasonably close with many caches to be found. Early is okay also. Need any assistance?? Thanks for the concept and organizing efforts. Count me in.

Woodwalker9
05-08-2007, 06:01 PM
If nothing happens between now and then, I will be there on the 19th. I love caching in Russellville. Thanks flannelman for putting this together.

Phantom_491
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
If I can round up the Hartman gang, We'll try to be there.

idratherbehiking
05-08-2007, 09:36 PM
This question is right up my alley since one of my favorite things to do besides hiking and caching is eating. There are only a few choices for breakfast in Russellville besides the usual fast food. My favorites are Ryans, Cracker Barrel , and Stoby's. There are a couple of other smaller places; Robinson House Buffet, and the The Old South Restaurant. I provided a link to a couple of menus below. Stoby's is a very unique restaurant with really good food and service. Robinson House Buffet is a very small place but has great homecooked food. The Old South is one of those old style diners with great food. Just thought I would give you a few ideas to chew on. OOPS pun intended!!! I'm looking forward to it. If you need me to make some calls to get a place with some space when we know how many are coming just let me know.

Cracker Barrel http://www.crackerbarrel.com/menu-break ... doc_id=887 (http://www.crackerbarrel.com/menu-breakfastmenu.cfm?doc_id=887)

Stoby's http://www.stobys.com/rest/menus/breakfast.asp

idratherbehiking
05-08-2007, 09:44 PM
I'll see if I can get out and hide a few new caches around town before then to give some of the folks that have already found all the others something to do. I just posted this note because I noticed that my last one put me at 99 so this is now post number 100 for me. Another milestone!!! Maybe while everyone is here we can tackle Old River Runner's Main Street cache as a group. I have never been able to figure out all of the math on that one to be able to complete the find.

Clark~Griswold
05-09-2007, 11:33 AM
I second the breakfast recommendation for either Cracker Barrel or Stoby’s. Cracker Barrel would probably be better because it is easier to get to at Exit 81, will serve you faster and can sit a large group easier (plus we have a cache hidden there).

Stoby’s is also a good choice for lunch, along with Smoothie’s Café (new place on West Main) and of course Whattaburger. This is not the Whattaburger chain, but a stand alone restaurant across from Arkansas Tech. The half order of fries is more than enough for one person.

We are also going to try to get some new caches out before you head this way.

flannelman
05-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I always like a Cracker Barrel breakfast but I'm open to either. It really depends on the turnout I guess. What time do those places open?? The sooner we can meet the better I think. That way we can get in as much caching as possible and maybe beat the breakfast crowd too. I will probably need some coords for wherever we decide in order to post the event cache so if someone in the area could e-mail them to me I'd appreciate it. I'll need to finalize the plans by Thursday night to post the meet and greet. Thanks in advance for you help and attendance.

OldRiverRunner
05-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I wasn't aware that Ryan's served breakfast, but that may be a better choice, since it's buffet style and folks may be arriving at different times. Also, you may be able to get one of the back rooms as a "private" room for the group. I don't know what time they open, so maybe irbh can fill in the blanks.

Cracker Barrel would be a better place than Stoby's, IMHO. Although Stoby's has a great breakfast, their service has declined over the last few years (i.e., SLOOWWWW!) so we've stopped eating there as often. Cracker Barrel, on the other hand, ALWAYS has good service. The only problem is the timing of folks arriving for the "meet and greet" and the lack of a private area to gather and talk.

Stoby's and Cracker Barrell open at 6 AM. I don't know about Ryan's. -- ORR

Clark~Griswold
05-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Here are the coordinates for Off Your Rocker in Russellville Arkansas which is hidden at Cracker Barrel:
N 35° 18.209 W 093° 08.000

If you plan on spending the night, be aware that May 18th is graduation night for Russellville HS and the motels might be fuller than usual.

photojunky
05-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Being a virgin at this, I am looking forward to getting with some people who are not. I will do what I can to make the meet, and as far as voting on where, I agree with Ryan's, more room, and not pushed to leave so everyone can show up. My old garmin gave up the ghost, so now am tied to my laptop, but it fits nicely in my backpack, so don't have a problem with that. Hope you don't mind a newby tagging along with someone.

flannelman
05-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Ryan's is fine with me but I need someone to get me the opening time and, more importantly, the coords for the parking lot so I can post the event tonight or tomorrow.

Newbies are always welcome!! There will be more than enough GPSr's there, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm looking forward to getting togather with everyone and talking about some caching.

If I can get the event posted I'll even throw in a stocked ammo can to give away. I'll just have to come up with some way to determine the winner!!

idratherbehiking
05-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Ryan's opens at 7:30 on Saturdays and the coords for the parking lot are N35 16.712 W093 06.185.

flannelman
05-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll post the event and see if it gets approved.

flannelman
05-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Well there will be no event cache for this. I thought it only had to be posted for 1 week but it is 2 weeks instead. So well just meet at Ryan's at 7:30 and stay for about an hour, or till everyone is ready, then go caching. Cya there.

flannelman
05-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Ok, don't forget to meet at Ryan's Saturday morning at 7:30 for breakfast. Even though I didn't get the event posted in time we will still get togather and have fun.

Looking forward to seeing all of you again.

nonnipoppy
05-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Sorry we can't make this one Will and gang. Our German GeoFriend Geopirat will be in Clarksville to cache before we leave Sunday morning to Geowoodstock 5. We will try next month.....poppy

flannelman
05-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Have fun Max!! We'll see ya next time. Be sure to let us know how your friend likes caching in the states!!

AR-HICK
05-19-2007, 08:48 PM
I made a late descision to show up and was not disappointed. I had a great time caching with Cachemates, Woodwalker9 and Flannelman. Good folks good caches and good times, what more is life about. Thanks for the tour of Russellville, did I mention I had a great time? My arm is sore from "Summer dreams- do not find this cache". Thanks :D
AR-HICK

flannelman
05-20-2007, 01:50 PM
We had a great time caching around Russellville. It was nice to get togather for breakfast on such a beautiful morning and visit for a while before heading out to cache. Thanks to everyone who showed up and to those that helped gather info for me prior to the expedition. I think everyone had a great time searching for the many great caches in the area. I know I sure did!!

I'm already looking forward to the June expedition. Hope you can make it out.

Clark~Griswold
05-20-2007, 08:08 PM
I think we had almost as much fun as you guys did reading the cache logs as they came in on email. We REALLY appreciate the fact that everyone took the time to write a few sentences about every find.

Glad you all had such a great time.

cachemates
05-20-2007, 08:39 PM
We had a great time on flannelman's hiking expedition Saturday. I can't believe we got there before Ryan's even opened. I know it was hard for Groovy chick to get up that early but she was there with her dad, I'd rather be hiking.

After breakfast Ar-Hick, and woodwalker9 rode together, with flannelman riding with us. We found some very nice caches and had tons of fun doing it. flannelman's eyes would light up like christmas lights at some of the caches we found. You could see the wheels working in his head. He has enough new idea's for caches, there is no telling what he will come up with. I can't wait to see them.

One thing that made it such a fun day was the great quality creative caches we had to find, The other thing was the good friends we were with.
It was a good day for us.
Thanks flannelman for another one of you fun expeditions.

Woodwalker9
05-21-2007, 12:10 PM
What a great time we all had Saturday. Flannelman you did a great job in picking Russellville for the May expedition. There are lots of very good, very creative hides in fantastic areas. I really appreciate all the cache owners who worked so hard to place so many quality caches.
One of the best things to me about geocaching is the friends I've made along the way. We had a great time hunting caches, but also laughing, telling stories, and visiting.
Thanks to flannelman and all involved in putting this together. I look forward to your next expedition.